Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)


Recommended Posts

On 11/16/2020 at 7:59 PM, fasteddie_21 said:

Started The West Wing last week. Now I get why it's so well thought of.

 

Already halfway through season 3.

I have heard it get's 'meh' somewhere in this (Sorkin left/stopped writing for it?)...anyone have a recommendation on when I can stop watching it? Or all 7 seasons worth it?

First four seasons were the Sorkin years.  Top notch most of that run.

IMO, seasons 5-7 were still better than most network dramas, but not as consistently good as the Sorkin years.   A presidential campaign and election were the underlying theme for season 7 so if you are a political junkie you might enjoy that one.

Edited by Tin Cup
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever invented the skip intro button, we salute you

There was a marathon on one of the side channels for new year's of NewsRadio. Vastly under-appreciated comedy. If you've never seen it, seek it out. It deserves to be spoken of among the others you've

No

12 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

First four seasons were the Sorkin years.  Top notch most of that run.

IMO, seasons 5-7 were still better than most network dramas, but not as consistently good as the Sorkin years.   A presidential campaign and election were the underlying theme for season 7 so if you are a political junkie you might enjoy that one.

agree.  first four are as good as it gets.  The rest are decent, but Sorkin made it go.  I thought they finished pretty good with 7-8.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I wouldn't go this far, but I didn't like it much.  Neutered any political leanings or points from the book and was just melodrama about the family.   It also very much came off as a "let's ugly up Close and Adams and hope for an Oscar" type of project.     :shrug:  I got through it, but it's not something I would recommend.  

I wouldn’t say they uglied up Close. From the home movies shown at the end they made her look exactly like his real grandma. 
I enjoyed the movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Binged the entire Bly Manor season last night with my daughter who is home from college. 

Good, not great but definitely above average. 

Definitely like how they wrapped all unanswered questions. The kid actors are definitely talented. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished queens gambit last night. So very good. Based on a 1983 novel. Why don’t they do more of that instead of remaking and rehashing the same old stuff. 
Someone asked upthread if Beth was supposed to have slept with the chick French model. I didn’t take it that way. Women will share a bed without it being sexual. It just told me that they partied late into the night and that was that. I don’t think there was anymore to it. However now I want to read the book to learn more about Townes. So maybe I learn I’m wrong about the model. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boilerdave said:

I wouldn’t say they uglied up Close. From the home movies shown at the end they made her look exactly like his real grandma. 
I enjoyed the movie. 

My point was more about the typical joke/trope that actors do the heavy makeup thing/physically morph/ugly themselves up for an Oscar push - Adams here, and stuff like Monster, etc.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Clown Car said:

Finished queens gambit last night. So very good. Based on a 1983 novel. Why don’t they do more of that instead of remaking and rehashing the same old stuff. 
Someone asked upthread if Beth was supposed to have slept with the chick French model. I didn’t take it that way. Women will share a bed without it being sexual. It just told me that they partied late into the night and that was that. I don’t think there was anymore to it. However now I want to read the book to learn more about Townes. So maybe I learn I’m wrong about the model. 

They do this all the time.  I am always surprised how many things I think are original ideas for movies are just adaptations of a book or short story.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

They do this all the time.  I am always surprised how many things I think are original ideas for movies are just adaptations of a book or short story.  

That’s good. I’m talking about remaking movies/shows and constantly rehashing the same old themes. I like that this was from a novel not a newer version of another movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Moe. said:

If you're into historical fiction Barbarians is solid. Fictionalized telling of the events leading up to and including the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. If you like Vikings, The Last Kingdom, etc I think you'll find it worth the time. Only 6 episodes. Dialogue is all German and Latin so if you're a no subtitle guy don't bother. 

I liked Barbarians. Just did a quick check to confirm the Barbarians I watched the dialogue is in English. You could tell the dialogue was a little off but nothing distracting.

Edited by Mile High
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mile High said:

I liked Barbarians. Just did a quick check to confirm the Barbarians I watched the dialogue is in English. You could tell the dialogue was a little off but nothing distracting.

Ah, they must have a dubbed version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, Don Quixote said:

Watched the first episode of How to with John Wilson on HBO. Sepinwall had a good review of it. A bit bizarre and awkward — documentary style that mostly plays off some social awkwardness by Wilson, and mixing script with B-roll footage type stuff. But it was laugh out loud funny at times.

Anybody else watch How to with John Wilson? One of my favorites of the year. At turns bizarre and profound. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fishboy said:

Binged the entire Bly Manor season last night with my daughter who is home from college. 

Good, not great but definitely above average. 

Definitely like how they wrapped all unanswered questions. The kid actors are definitely talented. 

 

my wife is watching this and it's making me want to fork my own eyes out

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Also watched an episode of Aunty Donna’s Big Ol House O Fun. Single most surreal and weird show I’ve ever watched and I used to watch quite a bit of Robot Chicken.

Have you seen The Eric Andre Show?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moe. said:

If you're into historical fiction Barbarians is solid. Fictionalized telling of the events leading up to and including the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. If you like Vikings, The Last Kingdom, etc I think you'll find it worth the time. Only 6 episodes. Dialogue is all German and Latin so if you're a no subtitle guy don't bother. 

cosign...really enjoyed this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 9:03 AM, boilerdave said:
On 11/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, KarmaPolice said:

I wouldn't go this far, but I didn't like it much.  Neutered any political leanings or points from the book and was just melodrama about the family.   It also very much came off as a "let's ugly up Close and Adams and hope for an Oscar" type of project.     :shrug:  I got through it, but it's not something I would recommend.  

I wouldn’t say they uglied up Close. From the home movies shown at the end they made her look exactly like his real grandma. 
I enjoyed the movie. 

I liked the movie too. I saw an interview with Close, and she said it took about an hour every day in the makeup chair to look like Mamaw.  They put on a prosthetic nose, made her ears bigger, put on a wig, and used makeup to age her skin. Adams had on a wig, but for the most part she looked like herself. I thought the casting of the boy (J.D.) was good for both his youth and college age years.   As for KP saying the movie neutered any political leanings or points from the book, Ron Howard said the movie wasn't made with politics in mind.

Edited by simey
Link to post
Share on other sites

:scared: ok, I watched the Saved by the Bell reboot...... As I told my sister, not sure I can recommend it to anyone.  Did make me laugh at times, hit some nostalgia, made some good references to the originals (and one to Franklin and Bash :lmao:).  Most of the acting was bad and at times tried to be too much like the original.  

 

Ok, back to finishing Schitt's Creek.....

 

I still love Tiffany Thiesen

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

:scared: ok, I watched the Saved by the Bell reboot...... As I told my sister, not sure I can recommend it to anyone.  Did make me laugh at times, hit some nostalgia, made some good references to the originals (and one to Franklin and Bash :lmao:).  Most of the acting was bad and at times tried to be too much like the original.  

 

Ok, back to finishing Schitt's Creek.....

 

I still love Tiffany Thiesen

Yeah, I wasn’t exactly expecting Shakespeare but a good chunk of the pilot was cringeworthy.  In addition to the poor acting and Lucas-worthy dialogue virtually every character was one-dimensional and there seemed to be endless cliches.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Capella said:

Episode 3 of the new season of the crown :tebow:  - the lead up to the Di/Charles marriage. As good as tv gets imo. 

The Australia trip episode is awesome.

I wasn't all that into the Charles and Diana storyline so I'm glad it hasn't been the complete focus. I do have a little issue with the way Gillian Anderson is playing Thatcher. I had to go back and confirm but  never remembered her sounding so frail and if you watch video of her, she didn't.

The season has gotten better as it moves along. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, KarmaPolice said:

I wouldn't go this far, but I didn't like it much.  Neutered any political leanings or points from the book and was just melodrama about the family.   It also very much came off as a "let's ugly up Close and Adams and hope for an Oscar" type of project.     :shrug:  I got through it, but it's not something I would recommend.  

I agree.  I mean, I guess it was fine.  It just had this air from the beginning of "An important movie" that I just didn't get at all.

I'm not sure why - since a lot of movies do that thing at the end with photos of the real-life people they were based on - but the credits made me feel like I just watched a 2 hour drama version of The Goldbergs.  Maybe it was all the yelling during the movie? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, simey said:

I liked the movie too. I saw an interview with Close, and she said it took about an hour every day in the makeup chair to look like Mamaw.  They put on a prosthetic nose, made her ears bigger, put on a wig, and used makeup to age her skin. Adams had on a wig, but for the most part she looked like herself. I thought the casting of the boy (J.D.) was good for both his youth and college age years.   As for KP saying the movie neutered any political leanings or points from the book, Ron Howard said the movie wasn't made with politics in mind.

I admit to being cynical and jaded.  To me that makes it worse, and basically just them using that book title (which was a big selling and well known book), to package up an Oscar bait family drama.  Yes, that family stuff was in the book, but by doing so they glossed over a big point of the book and why is was a best seller to begin with.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I admit to being cynical and jaded.  To me that makes it worse, and basically just them using that book title (which was a big selling and well known book), to package up an Oscar bait family drama.  Yes, that family stuff was in the book, but by doing so they glossed over a big point of the book and why is was a best seller to begin with.  

The author of the book, J.D. Vance, is also the executive producer of the movie. He and Ron Howard were interviewed today on CBS this Morning. He said he was happy with the movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamny said:

The Australia trip episode is awesome.

I wasn't all that into the Charles and Diana storyline so I'm glad it hasn't been the complete focus. I do have a little issue with the way Gillian Anderson is playing Thatcher. I had to go back and confirm but  never remembered her sounding so frail and if you watch video of her, she didn't.

The season has gotten better as it moves along. 

 

I’m only up to 3 but I heard that one was great. 
 

I don’t care at all about them in real life but the way the show portrayed it, with us all knowing it was a farce and ultimately tragic was very powerful imo. Great job. 
 

I had read that Anderson had nailed the Thatcher thing, in that she had a weird voice, but not sure about the frail part. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m only up to 3 but I heard that one was great. 
 

I don’t care at all about them in real life but the way the show portrayed it, with us all knowing it was a farce and ultimately tragic was very powerful imo. Great job. 
 

I had read that Anderson had nailed the Thatcher thing, in that she had a weird voice, but not sure about the frail part. 

Thatcher was a strong woman. There's a reason she was called The Iron Lady. It's a strange take on her in the show, imo.

 

I actually didn't know that the Charles and Diana relationship was strained from the start. I thought it took time for it to fall apart

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamny said:

Thatcher was a strong woman. There's a reason she was called The Iron Lady. It's a strange take on her in the show, imo.

 

I actually didn't know that the Charles and Diana relationship was strained from the start. I thought it took time for it to fall apart

Same. My wife is incredulous that I was so ignorant about the whole thing. Celebrity gossip was never my thing.

My family was randomly in England in the Cotswalds for the wedding when I was 13. It was a full day and night shut down and party for the town...like 4th of July and Superbowl mashed together. I think the whole town watches it together on a big screen, cheering and ooh-ahing the whole time. The english were fired up about it...so that part always resonated with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While this season of the Crown was good, 

1) It's my least favorite of all the seasons. Not because it wasn't done well, but the overall subject matter wasn't as interesting and I don't enjoy seeing those kinds of personal struggles, especially on public display, even if true.

2) The season was still a good watch but I particularly didn't like the last episode. They really painted Charles in an ugly light (deserved or not) and when it ended, I just felt "bleh". It made me think back on previous seasons and how I enjoyed watching them more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started Yellowstone.

After 3 episodes my conclusions are these.

1) Great Cast and Decent Acting

2) Strong/original enough plot/storyline

3) Inconsistent and sometimes terrible writing/dialogue.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

This season of the Crown is not kind to Charles. 

Not at all.

Edited to add: Its almost like the Queen is determined to out live him so he never becomes king.

Edited by Mile High
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching season 2 of Knightfall (was released almost a year ago I think). I'm not completely certain, but I can't shake the feeling that Mark Hamill isn't very good acting wise (barring voice work in cartoons and video games).

For the rest, pretty standard straightforward medieval good guy bad guy stuff. Not high concept, no nuance, 1 dimensional characters,  i.e. nothing like Game Of Thrones. Entertaining if you like that kind of thing (which I do when the mood strikes me), probably not a must watch for everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Capella said:

Read somewhere that this season alone is undoing 20 years of goodwill he had worked so hard for since Di’s death. 

Just saw an article reiterating that this isn't a documentary...it's a dramatic reimagining. But the damage is clearly being done 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Liberator, 4 episode mini series about WWII. It's animated, but done with "Trioscope Enhanced Hybrid Animation, a technique that blends live-action actors with CGI" and is "based on the book The Liberator: One World War II Soldier’s 500-Day Odyssey by Alex Kershaw". It's not great but pretty good imo if you're into World War Two. I generally don't like watching cartoons but was ok with this show, pretty life like for the most part.

Undercover - I'm halfway through season one of two. It's subtitled which I will only watch it if I'm really digging the show, have probably watched give or six shows/ movies total that were subtitled. So far really liking it. By the name you can tell what it's about. Set in Germany and a few other parts of Europe. There's a little English sprinkled in so that's nice.

Edited by peaces
X
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I've been enjoying Kim's Convenience on Netflix

While running a convenience store in Toronto, members of a Korean-Canadian family deal with customers, each other and the evolving world around them.

 

We finished it a few weeks ago. Good show. Not sure if I would have stuck with it if not for the parents, mostly the father, but it's still worth checking out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jamny said:

We finished it a few weeks ago. Good show. Not sure if I would have stuck with it if not for the parents, mostly the father, but it's still worth checking out.

Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is easily the best part of the show. Best part is, IRL, he doesnt even have a Korean accent. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamny said:

I was actually wondering that when we watched it and found this. Lol He got me at first.

My wife and I regularly use "OK, see you"  and "what you talking?"

He's appeared in a couple of the Mandalorian this season. I didn't recognize him at first because he didn't have the accent (and there's nothing comedic about this role), and when it finally dawned on me I laughed my ### off for a couple of minutes.

Edited by Gr00vus
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently decided to give Breaking Bad a re-watch. I rarely will watch a movie or series multiple times but was getting tired of the "OK" shows so fired it up once again.  Have to say it is SO GOOD. I've watched countless series since first watching BB and it's amazing how much better it is. Close to perfection.  I enjoyed it at least as much than my first time. (I did skip the fly episode, tho :) 

Having finished it, I decided to start Better Call Saul since I had heard all the good things about BCS and for some reason never tried it.  Despite struggling a bit through the first episode, or two, I was quickly on board and just finished S4 which is the last season on Netflix. It's excellent as well. I like the development of Mike's character and McKean was superb as Jimmy's brother.  I also enjoyed the foreshadowing of characters we grew to know and love from BB.  :thumbup:

 

I'll probably stream S5 on my FireTv soon as I dont' think I can wait until Netflix adds it here.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I've been enjoying Kim's Convenience on Netflix

While running a convenience store in Toronto, members of a Korean-Canadian family deal with customers, each other and the evolving world around them.

 

My wife and i just finished everything a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it too.   Episodes are quick and easy to watch w enough LOL moments.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

FINALLY!!!!!

‘Vikings’ Season 6 Final Episodes to Premiere on Amazon Before History Channel
The last 10 episodes of the show’s final season will drop on Amazon in the US, UK, Germany, Austria and Ireland on Dec. 30. They will then roll out on History, which has aired the show from the beginning, though the exact date for that has not yet been announced.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/vikings-season-6-premiere-date-amazon-1234844095/
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Just saw an article reiterating that this isn't a documentary...it's a dramatic reimagining. But the damage is clearly being done 

Yea I can’t say I feel bad for them but it has to be rough having this brought back to the light. I never really paid attention to the real-life crown at all but reading up on it all, the Diana story is very affecting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

He's appeared in a couple of the Mandalorian this season. I didn't recognize him at first because he didn't have the accent (and there's nothing comedic about this role), and when it finally dawned on me I laughed my ### off for a couple of minutes.

I recognized him right away, but the voice freaked me out. Apparently, he is a big Star Wars fan and has several cosplay outfits. Here’s an interview about him getting the role.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...