What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

I would have liked soul more if they had just focused on him and his family and all that and left the before/after life stuff out of it. 

Ruh roh. I think that's the one we started. I really liked ep 1.
They’re not all bad imo
Yep.

Distractingly woke. And that stuff usually doesn't bug me. Also a decision to jump storylines in two of the later episodes to concentrate on Giorgio felt forced and unnecessary other than to introduce us to a literal cigar chomping deus ex machina. For all the fun ride within, some distracting writing and plot as well.

Eta...weve finished ep 11. Not sure if there's more or not. If not, an unresolved cliffhanger didn't feel the way to go.

Eta2...I see ep 12 comes out on nye

Last edited by a moderator:
looking forward to Ed Norton's "Motherless Brooklyn" - anyone seen it?
Yeah, it was really good, not great. Unusual choice- he has Tourrette’s but it’s a Dashiel Hammett/Elmore Leonard style film noir detective flick. Definitely worth a watch.
I'm a big Ed Norton fan and watched it last night - yeah, I really liked it a lot, though I did think it was a little clumsy at times.

not bad for a first time effort both writing and directing (I think).  

love the style.  

looking forward to Ed Norton's "Motherless Brooklyn" - anyone seen it?
Yeah, it was really good, not great. Unusual choice- he has Tourrette’s but it’s a Dashiel Hammett/Elmore Leonard style film noir detective flick. Definitely worth a watch.
I'm a big Ed Norton fan and watched it last night - yeah, I really liked it a lot, though I did think it was a little clumsy at times.

not bad for a first time effort both writing and directing (I think).  

love the style.  
had the opportunity to watch this on the flight home last night... went with Dunkirk instead. Will keep an eye out for it though- had been interested when it first came out, despite seemingly little buzz about it. I think I read the book... ?

man... Dunkirk on my phone instead of on a big screen- still looked great, but mustve been astonishing in the theater.

I liked the narrative structure, following the various clearly defined plot threads and characters to tell the story. Some of the best air-battle footage I've seen- that stood out to me. obviously not a character-driven movie, even though they fleshed out enough from the people involved to keep me interested. but with the story told, I don't know that there's enough to revisit for me outside of a chance to see it on a bigger screen. solid movie though- glad I finally got to see it.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but I just finished both seasons of “The Boys” on Amazon Prime and omg it’s freaking awesome. Easily one of my favorite shows on a streaming platform. 

I like to focus on one show at a time rather than streaming multiple shows. 

Trying to decide which of these to start next:

Jordan Peele’s Lovecraft Country

Snowfall (FX) 

Defending Jacob 

Your Honor

Watching “The Most Dangerous Animal of All” on Hulu.  It is a documentary on a guy who authored a book about how he went looking for his birth father and then believed he was actually the Zodiac Killer.  I’ve always been fascinated by the Zodiac case so it’s been an interesting watch so far.  

We just started S3 of Lost with the kids (9 & 13). Their minds are completely blown. It's interesting for us to go back now and rewatch it...so much that works the first couple seasons and some that really doesn't. Still a fun watch.

Two Weeks To Live on HBOMax was very entertaining.  For Game of Thrones fans, there’s a fun nod to Arya during the main Maisey Williams fight scene.   

Watched all six episodes in two sittings (three on a plane, three at home the next day).  

Haven’t checked into this thread in awhile...some one line snippets on stuff I’ve very much liked recently...

Unorthodox - tremendous.  Lead actress does an unbelievable job of combining strength, courage and fragility.

The Crown Season 4 - the casting of this show is off the charts.  Gillian Anderson as Thatcher for me at least was inspired, and the 2nd to last episode of the season might have been the best of all 4 seasons (Thatcher/Queen Elizabeth confrontation).

Cryptopia - Bitcoin, Blockchain and the Future of the Internet (Amazon) - as someone who has become interested in this industry in 2020, this is a really well done documentary that helps with on-ramping yourself to gaining a basic understanding of the space.

Godfather Coda - if you’re like me who has largely exiled Part III from the canon of the Corleone universe, this re-editing marginally improves upon the original theatrical version.  And since I hadn’t seen Part III for a long time, the themes it addresses resonated with me more so than before, likely because I myself am quite a bit older now.

Midnight Sky - solid but unspectacular.  Felt the twist at the end was a bit contrived.

The Undoing - top notch.  Hugh Grant will be one of those actors who gets much better with age.  Nicole Kidman is outstanding and Donald Sutherland has a great ‘I am the danger’ type moment.

Godfather Coda - if you’re like me who has largely exiled Part III from the canon of the Corleone universe, this re-editing marginally improves upon the original theatrical version.  And since I hadn’t seen Part III for a long time, the themes it addresses resonated with me more so than before, likely because I myself am quite a bit older now.
Did the editing involve entirely removing Sofia from it? 

All I remember from seeing it in theater was Pacino's hair, his one line (...they pull me back in) and face palming myself repeatedly due to Coppola Jr's "acting".

Did the editing involve entirely removing Sofia from it? 

All I remember from seeing it in theater was Pacino's hair, his one line (...they pull me back in) and face palming myself repeatedly due to Coppola Jr's "acting".
I found her less distracting this go round.  

I read something though about Pacino’s hair and didn’t realize how much of a lightning rod topic it was.  Evidently, Coppola wanted the hair to look like that.  The guy he’d worked with many times before who was responsible for hair/makeup of the characters vehemently objected preferring to replicate his Part I/II hairstyle.  He wound up leaving the movie over it and I think they never spoke again.

The Undoing - top notch.  Hugh Grant will be one of those actors who gets much better with age.  Nicole Kidman is outstanding and Donald Sutherland has a great ‘I am the danger’ type moment.
Wife and I caught two episodes while we were traveling at Thanksgiving at our hotel (don’t have HBO at home). Thought it was interesting and we would probably be into it if we had HBO. 
We could not get past how awful Kidman looked. She got some awful plastic surgery. I wasn’t sure it was here at first.

Gachi said:
I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but I just finished both seasons of “The Boys” on Amazon Prime and omg it’s freaking awesome. Easily one of my favorite shows on a streaming platform. 

Snowfall (FX) 

Defending Jacob 

Your Honor

Haven't seen it yet but the premise looks really good.

Gachi said:

Snowfall (FX) 

Defending Jacob 

Your Honor

of these i've only seen Snowfall, but did like it.

Gachi said:

Snowfall (FX) 

Defending Jacob 

Your Honor

Watch at least one episode of Lovecraft Country just for the music in the closing credits. 

(I did find the rest of it enjoyable enough, though.)

Wife and I caught two episodes while we were traveling at Thanksgiving at our hotel (don’t have HBO at home). Thought it was interesting and we would probably be into it if we had HBO. 
We could not get past how awful Kidman looked. She got some awful plastic surgery. I wasn’t sure it was here at first.
And by how awful she looked you mean smoking hot for a woman that is 53...

So I heard about a Netflix series today called "atypical" that's about a kid on the spectrum. It stars Michael Rappaport and I decided to check it out as my best friend has a son with autisim, really enjoying it so far. Three seasons already out there and the 4th and final season starts filming in 2 weeks.

So I heard about a Netflix series today called "atypical" that's about a kid on the spectrum. It stars Michael Rappaport and I decided to check it out as my best friend has a son with autisim, really enjoying it so far. Three seasons already out there and the 4th and final season starts filming in 2 weeks.
Love this show.  

We have a kid with autism and that show really hits home. Good show.

We have a kid with autism and that show really hits home. Good show.
Aside from Jennifer Jason Leigh's distracting plastic surgery, this is one of the better comedies and shows out there.

Watching The Wilds right now on A Prime. Seems good so far. Thought it would be like a Lord of the Flies with girls but it's turning out quite differently than I anticipated 

It wasn’t as bad as I expected 
My wife is watching it on a recomendation from my sister.  Watched the first two episodes and am interested but she is watching on the laptop now that the Rose Bowl is on.  Not sure I'll get caught up with her as I am watching Luther without her.

Users who are viewing this thread