Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever invented the skip intro button, we salute you

Wife and I just added HBO Max. Started watching this little known show, think it's called Game of Thrones or something. Guess it's based on a book. Almost through the first season, which has been grea

There was a marathon on one of the side channels for new year's of NewsRadio. Vastly under-appreciated comedy. If you've never seen it, seek it out. It deserves to be spoken of among the others you've

17 hours ago, northern exposure said:

On a related note, my wife and I recently started watching Kingdom (based on the high praise it received here). It was a little surprising for us to see the actor from "Richard Jewell" (we recently watched the Eastwood movie) portray Keith (Ryan's roommate at the halfway house) on Kingdom.

We were waiting for him to start talking about "Momma".

Same with me.  Dude is an incredible actor though.  He's really good in Kingdom.

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 10:31 AM, El Floppo said:

Started a show called something like Limetown. Kind of an existential bigger picture mystery about the disappearance of hundreds of scientists at a research facility, w Jessica Biel ("oh...she's so mousey and plain with unflattering clothes and a bad hair style") as the reporter investigating the whole thing. Not great. But will keep going because I'm a glutton for dumb.

Yeah. Still slowly chugging along. So far, so not so good. But still a glutton, and committed since the wife seems more interested.

On 1/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, FishTacoTuesday said:

If you like spy and intrigue stuff, 1983 on Netflix is excellent. 

This is really good through 2 episodes.  Polish language but the english dub is not too bad if you can't read.

Set in an alternate 2003 with the cold war still in effect.

• Like 1
On 1/19/2021 at 4:37 AM, Tony Jabroni said:

Got it. Not disappointed. Thanks!

Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on SCI is pretty freaking great, 

Especially if you partake. 

Just finished binge watching Yellowstone.

1st season I felt was solid. 

Liked the 2nd season a lot.

3rd season was a letdown. 9 and 1/2 episodes of meh and then action in the final 6 minutes.

22 minutes ago, Payne said:

3rd season was a letdown. 9 and 1/2 episodes of meh and then action in the final 6 minutes.

Agree with most of this.  I wouldn't call the 3rd season "meh", but it wasn't as strong as the first 2.  Still a decent watch, though.

15 hours ago, Hov34 said:

This is really good through 2 episodes.  Polish language but the english dub is not too bad if you can't read.

Just one season? 

1 hour ago, jamny said:
16 hours ago, Hov34 said:

Just one season? 

That's all that is on Netflix.  Not sure if it wraps up or if there are plans for another season.  I'm only 2 episodes in.

3 hours ago, Payne said:

3rd season was definitely a "Slow Burn" compared to the first 2..

But, thanks to the last episode + the shocking reveal of why there was so much hate between brother and sister, it almost felt like 3a, with 3b looking to be a  :eek:

Edited by snogger
Just now, snogger said:

3rd season was definitely a "Slow Burn" compared to the first 2..

But, thanks to the last episode, it almost felt like 3a, with 3b looking to be a  :eek:

Agree. Season 3 also needed more of the blonde rodeo girl. Wow.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Agree with most of this.  I wouldn't call the 3rd season "meh", but it wasn't as strong as the first 2.  Still a decent watch, though.

It was just underwhelming compared to the first two seasons. "Meh" may have been a bit harsh. 

Just got an email that CBS All Access is rebranding to Paramount+ in March. Can’t tell if Yellowstone is moving to that streaming service off of Peacock or not.

Other than CBS content will be Nickelodian, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Smithsonian Channel, and Paramount library of films plus some original content.

25 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Just got an email that CBS All Access is rebranding to Paramount+ in March. Can’t tell if Yellowstone is moving to that streaming service off of Peacock or not.

Other than CBS content will be Nickelodian, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Smithsonian Channel, and Paramount library of films plus some original content.

Wtf.... The places are going to ruin themselves. All these services can't be making more money this way than licensing it to netflix for example.  This is just crazy how much crap like this is happening.  I have no idea how many shows I would enjoy I'll never watch or know exist ☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, belljr said:

Wtf.... The places are going to ruin themselves. All these services can't be making more money this way than licensing it to netflix for example.  This is just crazy how much crap like this is happening.  I have no idea how many shows I would enjoy I'll never watch or know exist ☺️

What we need is someone to take all of these services and networks, bundle them together as one package so everything is one place, and provide that to consumers. Maybe run it to homes with cabling. They could call it something like...Wire or something similar.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

I’ll be the contrarian on Yellowstone. I gave it a chance based on strong reviews here but tapped out after 6 episodes. Great settings, costumes, etc. but the characters are walking cliches, the plot lines are cookie-cutter daytime soap overthetop melodrama and whoever writes the dialogue should be branded, strapped to a mustang and shot. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I’ll be the contrarian on Yellowstone. I gave it a chance based on strong reviews here but tapped out after 6 episodes. Great settings, costumes, etc. but the characters are walking cliches, the plot lines are cookie-cutter daytime soap overthetop melodrama and whoever writes the dialogue should be branded, strapped to a mustang and shot. 

Do I trust gian or clete...

:lol:

I think I know what to do here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wife convinced me to try “Fate: The Winx Saga” which premiered on Netflix today. Young Adult supernatural show about “fairies” with magical powers going to a magic highschool (apparently this is an aged up, live action version of an Italian cartoon?) Starts out like a lot of young adult tropes (they’re somewhat self-aware of this as there is a joke in the first episode where 2 characters talk about which Hogwarts house they would be sorted into) but despite the terrible name and the familiar setting, it actually turned out much better than I expected.

Thought we were in for some CW teen melodrama cheesiness but they really kept the romance and teen-angst parts to a minimum and actually had a decent story with some nice twists/reveals. Only 6 episodes so we finished it off pretty quick in one night. Only complaint I had was whoever does the sound/music did a poor job and kind of ruined the climactic battle scene in the final episode which was the only really cheesy moment I recall.

If you like shows like The Order, Warrior Nun, Umbrella Academy, etc. I would definitely give it a try.

Had to get ATT Now in order to watch the Hockeyball. Probably going to dump YouTube tv since I don’t need two of them which SUCKS. I love the YTTV interface and this ATT one sucks. I wish YouTube would get the regional sports back already. Blows. 

I watched Bridgerton with the wife. It’s not great. The redeeming factor should’ve been the lead actress getting it on so much, but she looks like she’s 14 and that just kills the boner. 

12 minutes ago, Tony Jabroni said:

I see News of the World is now available on demand. (Tom Hanks' new flick) It's $20, but it seems like just a rental. Is this correct?

It's a new movie meant for release in theaters. That's what Covid era new movies look like until the theaters reopen. And yeah...how much they cost.

The Netflix doc The Night Stalker was really well done. I liked the way they included the cops, especially the younger guy. I didn't know all that much about Ramiriez but holy hell was he a sick bastard. I guess he was more of a spree killer than serial killer? Not really sure of the difference but I always assumed serial killer to have a specific motive or agenda not just going on a rampage. Either way, that was a crazy story.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, jamny said:

The Netflix doc The Night Stalker was really well done. I liked the way they included the cops, especially the younger guy. I didn't know all that much about Ramiriez but holy hell was he a sick bastard. I guess he was more of a spree killer than serial killer? Not really sure of the difference but I always assumed serial killer to have a specific motive or agenda not just going on a rampage. Either way, that was a crazy story.

He just picked random people. I don't understand it either, but in the doc, the cops had nothing on a pattern. 

8 hours ago, jamny said:

agreed that it was really well done. getting the people involved to talk frankly about the case, the archival footage, etc. all well done.

sick, sad story, but an interesting doc if people are in to true crime documentaries.

Wife and I watched The Ripper, right after Night Stalker.  We're dumb, so much emotional trauma back to back.

Whereas Stalker was incredible re: the criminal, Ripper is incredible re: the foolishness of the British cops.  Thank God we declared independence from those losers.

Both killers are so evil.  Grrr.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, facook said:

Wife and I watched The Ripper, right after Night Stalker.  We're dumb, so much emotional trauma back to back.

Whereas Stalker was incredible re: the criminal, Ripper is incredible re: the foolishness of the British cops.  Thank God we declared independence from those losers.

Both killers are so evil.  Grrr.

I suggested starting this but thought I'd give it some time after finishing Night Stalker. Will definitely check it out though.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jamny said:

Tried starting it three times and it's just not grabbing me like I expected.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:08 AM, Buckna said:

Wife convinced me to try “Fate: The Winx Saga” which premiered on Netflix today. Young Adult supernatural show about “fairies” with magical powers going to a magic highschool (apparently this is an aged up, live action version of an Italian cartoon?) Starts out like a lot of young adult tropes (they’re somewhat self-aware of this as there is a joke in the first episode where 2 characters talk about which Hogwarts house they would be sorted into) but despite the terrible name and the familiar setting, it actually turned out much better than I expected.

Thought we were in for some CW teen melodrama cheesiness but they really kept the romance and teen-angst parts to a minimum and actually had a decent story with some nice twists/reveals. Only 6 episodes so we finished it off pretty quick in one night. Only complaint I had was whoever does the sound/music did a poor job and kind of ruined the climactic battle scene in the final episode which was the only really cheesy moment I recall.

If you like shows like The Order, Warrior Nun, Umbrella Academy, etc. I would definitely give it a try.

I see this is rated TV-MA. What's the reasoning? My 14 year old daughter was talking about it. 

Lupin - I watched the first two episodes over the weekend. I'm definitely in. Its a heist series with a guy who is an exceptional thief. Who doesn't like that? Its very well done. Its set in Paris. It would be the perfect show except ... its in French. I have nothing against the French - I just generally like to be on my computer when I'm watching tv. And with subtitles - you obviously have to pay attention.

But I will stick with it. Its worth it.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Lupin - I watched the first two episodes over the weekend. I'm definitely in. Its a heist series with a guy who is an exceptional thief. Who doesn't like that? Its very well done. Its set in Paris. It would be the perfect show except ... its in French. I have nothing against the French - I just generally like to be on my computer when I'm watching tv. And with subtitles - you obviously have to pay attention.

We watched the 1st episode and enjoyed it. 

1 hour ago, Payne said:

I see this is rated TV-MA. What's the reasoning? My 14 year old daughter was talking about it. 

As someone mentioned, violence, language, alcohol and drug use, and some light sex stuff and these are supposed to be high school students. Nothing really graphic on the violence or sex stuff (no nudity of any kind, maybe one scene where a character gets down to her bra making out with a guy), but booze and drug use is definitely there front and center. Mainly a couple of delinquent type characters that smoke, drink, but also mentions of vaping and pot brownies and an episode mostly focused around a kegger party with beer pong, etc.

I am somewhat surprised it’s MA, it’s pretty tame by most current tv standards IMO. It might be because they are thinking a lot of the audience is younger and may be coming from the original cartoon source material as kids.

I don’t have kids but the show is very female centric and I thought empowering/written/focused on that perspective. Most of the main characters are female both young and old and powerful or in leadership. I did roll my eyes a few times at the occasional “woke” dialogue (I think the word ‘mansplaining’ is said like 3 or 4 times in the first 5 minutes) but it’s not overly preachy or transparently done.

Edited by Buckna
21 hours ago, jamny said:

I have one more episode to go, but I totally agree with you. It is very well done and quite the story. This guy was evil incarnate imo.

50 minutes ago, whoknew said:

We watched it with the overdub. The voice acting wasn’t very good, but we still enjoyed the show.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, whoknew said:

There's an option to have English dubbing.  Of course then the mouths are out of sync w/ the actual words you hear, but it's not bad.  

We watched the first episode over the weekend and will continue.  

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Wife and I watched it with the English Dub - definitely setting up a 2nd half to the season, at least that was our take on it. We enjoyed it. Not quite Money Heist good, but still good enough that I think we watched it in one day.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, Payne said:

Started watching Yellowstone.....eh.  It's okay.  Will stick with it, but it's got a lot of silliness for me to overcome.

I enjoyed the cops' perspective in Night Stalker and also liked how they roped in the journalists.  

I thought it a bit odd that the San Francisco cop just nonchalantly admitted to punching an informant (for lack of a better word) in the face to get him to tell him who the Night Stalker was.  I mean, I always believed that cops were physically beating suspects to coerce testimony, but I thought it was against our rights and stuff.  This guy was just like "nah, I was going to punch the man out if he didn't tell me" after admitting to punching him in the face once.  

What a sick MoFo Ramirez was.  And yet, women loved him!  I could live 15 more lifetimes and never understand the fascination some women with have with serial killers.  Ted Bundy had fans - FANS - in the courtroom during his trials.  He got married on death row and had a baby (why are we letting guys on death row get married and have sex again?).  Ramirez had dozens and dozens of soft core porn pictures and letters sent into him by women - some of them hot!  How?  Why?  What is happening?  

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Started watching Yellowstone.....eh.  It's okay.  Will stick with it, but it's got a lot of silliness for me to overcome.

Same here. Struggling with the first few episodes of this and the new Cranston show.