What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

Network show but can be streamed on Hulu. Big fan of "Big Sky".
:goodposting: We've been enjoying it as well.

Was slightly concerned with the mid-season finale that a new twist would show up but luckily they didn't go that way.  One thing that Really bugged me with this weeks episode was..

Just how bleeping long does it take to get the sketch artist to finish the sketch and release it?

Guy could have gotten to China on the slow boat with how long it is taking.  

Watched the BBC minseries Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot (2004) and also Charles II The Power And The Passion (2003).

Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot is a 2 parter, the first being about Mary Queen Of Scots, the second being about her son James I becoming King Of England and a few years after during which Guy Fawkes and pals plotted to blow him and Parliament up with gunpowder under the chambers. It was o.k. Kinda low budget. Some decent acting. It's funny, Transpotting alums Kevin McKidd plays Bothwell in the 1st part, Robert Carlyle plays James I in the 2nd part, but the two never have any scenes together - alas no reunion of Tommy and Franco. Sad. You get the very barest of outlines of what went on during these two periods. Not a must see. There's a recent show about the Gunpowder plot starring Jon Snow (who apparently is a direct descendant of Robert Catesby, one of the leaders of the plot), it's called Gunpowder and I think it's on one of the streaming services (maybe HBO?) - I think I'll check that out next.

Charles II is about the lead up to and the reign of James I's grandson Charles II. It's not very good, and it's a 4 parter. Again only the barest of outlines of what went on, most of the time is spent on the love lives of the people involved, rendered in the most heavy handed and unsexiest of ways possible. It's a really good cast (although I think Shirley Henderson - another Trainspotting alum -  didn't do such a great job), but they don't have much to work with, and are wasted on this project. I guess the version I saw (on Amazon Prime) is a heavily (and poorly) edited version of the BBC original, which leaves out some important plot/historical elements. Maybe it would have been better if I'd have seen the original BBC version. The title should have been enough to warn me off. Avoid.

Ok sort of a guilty pleasure of mine....

My wife got me hooked on Grey's anatomy!  I always took it for a cheesy hospital drama, with lots of sex in the on-call room and janitors closet, which there is plenty of.....but it's sooooo much more!  Its actually a really good show.

Oh yea...Ash vs Evil Dead is in a word.....AWESOME!!!  of course I grew up on Evil Dead, and Army of Darkness... I'm a huge Bruce Campbell fan.....Brisco County Jr. anyone?  Bubba Ho Tep?

Anyway, Ash v ED is completely disgusting and hilarious.... I love it!

Another one I binge watched is GLOW....it's really well done I thought.....Marc Marin steals the show.

Oh, and The Last Kingdom...... another one the wife and I binge watched.....very good, imo.

Ok, one more to binge.....Mindhunter....sooooo good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside the Wire I wanted very much to like and I don't mind mindless action movies but this just didn't seem to figure out what it was trying to do
I should have listened to you.  I also wanted to like it, and had low expectations to begin with, but this one sucked.

Wife and I are watching Counterpart on Amazon Prime. Originally a Starz show and just kinda stumbled upon it after watching The Expanse

Pretty good thriller with a cool premise.  Heard that Starz didn't renew for Season 3 as the show didn't fit their new "female focused" programming. 🙄. Hopefully it finds a new home.

Manster said:

My wife got me hooked on Grey's anatomy!  I always took it for a cheesy hospital drama, with lots of sex in the on-call room and janitors closet, which there is plenty of.....but it's sooooo much more!  Its actually a really good show.
The last few years are not as good.  

The Z Machine said:
Wife and I are watching Counterpart on Amazon Prime. Originally a Starz show and just kinda stumbled upon it after watching The Expanse

Pretty good thriller with a cool premise.  Heard that Starz didn't renew for Season 3 as the show didn't fit their new "female focused" programming. 🙄. Hopefully it finds a new home.
Oh, damn...didn't know S3 got nixed. Decent show.

Resident Alien is a show based on a comic book that just debuted on SYFY this week.  The great Alan Tudyk stars as an alien who is forced to interact with residents in a small town.  Surprisingly funny - especially because I don’t expect much from SYFY.

Manster said:
Oh yea...Ash vs Evil Dead is in a word.....AWESOME!!!  of course I grew up on Evil Dead, and Army of Darkness... I'm a huge Bruce Campbell fan.....Brisco County Jr. anyone?  Bubba Ho Tep?

Anyway, Ash v ED is completely disgusting and hilarious.... I love it!
Love AvED. Fun series that doesn't take itself seriously. Big fan of BV as well. Loved BCJr, currently rewatching Burn Notice, another solid role for BC.

Manster said:

Wife got me to watch the first few seasons, I liked it until they started killing off and writing out some of the better characters IMO like George, Burke, Izzy, etc. Hopefully not a spoiler since those were all in the early seasons. I only occasionally watched an episode here and there as the plots just got more and more ridiculous each year as well to where I finally tapped out completely (Izzy ghost sex, hospital shooter that they had already done in season 2, plane crash :rolleyes: .) Even my wife gave up on it a few years ago when they randomly killed off one of the most important core characters, won’t say since spoiler tags don’t work anymore.

In keeping with my "waiting till shows are over to start them" I started Vikings over the weekend.  Pretty fast paced show so far, a lot happens in the first 5 episodes.  And Lagertha 😍
This series is epic. Every season....great. Enjoy it. I thought it was better than GOT. Yeah I said it.

The little things on HBO. With 3 Academy Award winners thought it would be better, but it wasn't. 
It was not good at all. I mean when they were reading through that script, surely someone with half a brain had to say, "There is no way any rationale person would do that."  There were two or three just  :doh:  moments that ruined that movie for me .

Wife got me to watch the first few seasons, I liked it until they started killing off and writing out some of the better characters IMO like George, Burke, Izzy, etc. Hopefully not a spoiler since those were all in the early seasons. I only occasionally watched an episode here and there as the plots just got more and more ridiculous each year as well to where I finally tapped out completely (Izzy ghost sex, hospital shooter that they had already done in season 2, plane crash :rolleyes: .) Even my wife gave up on it a few years ago when they randomly killed off one of the most important core characters, won’t say since spoiler tags don’t work anymore.
Yea, its way over the top for sure.  I'm definitely feeling burn out coming.....we're at post plane crash and buying the hospital

Yea, its way over the top for sure.  I'm definitely feeling burn out coming.....we're at post plane crash and buying the hospital
That’s one of the last one’s I watched much of. The new interns were promising new characters but they of course weed out or kill off some of the most interesting ones while others just become love interests for established characters.

We punted on Handmaid after season 2. My wife was crying almost every episode. Just didn’t see any redeeming value in keeping on with it. 
We got one episode in and that was enough.  My wife can't handle content and violence like that and honestly, I think I'm long passed that too.  

Although I'm starting to enjoy Yellowstone a little more, speaking of gratuitous violence.  

Started watching Kingdom and I'm almost done Season 1. It is ok, but I was expecting a lot more based on the raves in this thread about it. It reminds me of Sons of Anarchy in some ways.

Watched the 2017 HBO miniseries (3 episodes) Gunpowder with Jon Snow. Skip it. Reading the wikipedia entry about the plot is more entertaining and takes way less time.

One of my wife's best friend's best friend was on it...sounds like the primary actors all end up looking to pursue other things and move on, prior to however their character leaves the show. I wonder if he was the guy you're talking about...he banked a lot of seasons there.

Eta...we watched the first couple seasons because of him but never dug the show, so bailed.

KarmaPolice said:
Does Handmaid's really have that much violence or does the oppressive nature of the show make it feel that way? 
End of episode one is pretty violent.  But really it's really the bleakness of it all that is difficult.  But I think it's important subject matter.

Watched The Undoing on hbo. Pretty meh for me...writing on the weak side. Thought the kid was fantastic though- stole the show. Also, I like to pronounce it un-doy-ng. The wife loves that.

American Murder was excellent on Netflix. About Chris Watts murdering his whole family. Told through video footage, text messages, interrogation footage etc. Hard to watch but well done. I cried. 

American Murder was excellent on Netflix. About Chris Watts murdering his whole family. Told through video footage, text messages, interrogation footage etc. Hard to watch but well done. I cried. 
This was talked about a few months ago. Very well done. Extremely creepy. The ending got me really bad. 

Lupin on Netflix is excellent. Have two episodes to go and have enjoyed it a great deal. The Director also worked on Now You See Me and there are some familiar things (i.e. music, camera work).

Just starting Cobra Kai. I fully expected to think it was stupid but am really liking it.

Users who are viewing this thread