Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

KCC

I just finished the last season of Vikings. The show never was the quite same after it rebooted its cast, and got *extremely* repetitive the last couple years. I routinely skipped through major chunks of the show and didn’t miss anything. But that said, the last season lands the plane about as well as it could have. It was a satisfying conclusion. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thecatch said:

I just finished the last season of Vikings. The show never was the quite same after it rebooted its cast, and got *extremely* repetitive the last couple years. I routinely skipped through major chunks of the show and didn’t miss anything. But that said, the last season lands the plane about as well as it could have. It was a satisfying conclusion. 

Good to hear. I haven't finished it even though I still enjoyed it well enough. 

It's no GoT though.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, wlwiles said:

In keeping with my "waiting till shows are over to start them" I started Vikings over the weekend.  Pretty fast paced show so far, a lot happens in the first 5 episodes.  And Lagertha 😍

I loved the first few seasons, but for me it tailed off a bit the past couple.  Will still watch the final season when I can get to it.

The biggest disappointment for me was learning the original of this show has regular nudity, which is scrubbed out of the US version. Unforgiveable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fruity pebbles said:

You may know stocks but you don’t know tv shows ;)

Bwahhhahahaha!!

I loved GOT too brother. I just enjoyed the characters on Vikings more and the fact that some of it was actually real history. 

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

Like GOT seasons 6,7,8.....nothing close to seasons 1-5. 

They #### the bed in season 8 too. Badly.

2 hours ago, soothsayer said:

Lupin on Netflix is excellent. Have two episodes to go and have enjoyed it a great deal. The Director also worked on Now You See Me and there are some familiar things (i.e. music, camera work).

Just starting Cobra Kai. I fully expected to think it was stupid but am really liking it.

AWESOME SAUCE!!!!

36 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I loved the first few seasons, but for me it tailed off a bit the past couple.  Will still watch the final season when I can get to it.

The biggest disappointment for me was learning the original of this show has regular nudity, which is scrubbed out of the US version. Unforgiveable.

Wait, US version?  Is the original a British show or something?  Am I watching the wrong one? 

52 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

Wait, US version?  Is the original a British show or something?  Am I watching the wrong one? 

if i've come to learn anything in life it's that there's always a British version of a show first and it's always better

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

Same one but in the UK there was nudity. I think even Netflix edits it.

55 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

I think its made by a Canadian/Irish company.  The version they sell to the US market goes through the History channel and gets scrubbed of the naughty bits. I'm exaggerating a bit to make a joke, but was a bit disappointed when I first learned that. Last I looked, there was no easy way to get the other version through any streaming service available to us.

2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Warrior on HBO Max (two seasons) is AWESOME if you like period kung fu. 

Really enjoyed Warrior.  Good pacing on the storyline, as well as the action scenes.  Fun watch.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Todem said:

Bwahhhahahaha!!

I loved GOT too brother. I just enjoyed the characters on Vikings more and the fact that some of it was actually real history. 

If you liked Vikings because of that, then you'd love The Last Kingdom even more.

We finished watching Mad Men this weekend. It was pretty good the first 5 seasons or so, the last 2 weren't so great. It went downhill writing wise after Lane's departure. Some really good characters (Don and Peggy are all timers). Yet somehow for me the parts were greater than the sum. I did like the way they concluded Don's storyline.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, wlwiles said:

I've officially hit the point where I don't want to start any more new shows that aren't completed. Waiting for a new season is the worst, especially when there's 8 shows you're waiting for. 

I watch the first season of a show and by the time the next season comes around I'm on to other things or have lost interest.  Once a few actually end or are not renewed I may go back.  A few I need to go back too though. 

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I didn't even mind the subtitles - loved it.  

Netflix started me off with the "dubbed" version of Lupin. I was originally disappointed because I found it distracting when words were not in sync with their mouths -- I switched to the subtitled version, much better.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

We finished watching Mad Men this weekend. It was pretty good the first 5 seasons or so, the last 2 weren't so great. It went downhill writing wise after Lane's departure. Some really good characters (Don and Peggy are all timers). Yet somehow for me the parts were greater than the sum. I did like the way they concluded Don's storyline.

Agree with this take.  The show is still a masterpiece though. 

On 1/30/2021 at 8:19 AM, Capella said:

Started the West Wing on Max. Dismayed at how many freaking episodes there are but it’s great so far. 

This show is so great. Jealous.

There are some lesser seasons towards the end but the very last season is definitely worth sticking around for.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Netflix started me off with the "dubbed" version of Lupin. I was originally disappointed because I found it distracting when words were not in sync with their mouths -- I switched to the subtitled version, much better.

Lol. I did the same thing. For 10 minutes I kept swapping back and forth. If it's not kung fu it wasn't worth it.

3 hours ago, tonydead said:

Mmm. Last Kigdom is worth watching, but, it's no Vikings.  Imo.  

I recall a few of us litigating that issue in this thread before. I think the early seasons of Vikings were better, but someone who likes one of those should definitely enjoy the other as well. 

15 hours ago, joffer said:

Finished The Americans. Amazing last season and an amazing series.  Top 10 all time.

My personal choice for best show of all-time.  Perfect pacing, perfect mix of character building and action, awesome ending/wrap-up. 

• Like 1

The Stand

I guess I will be the guy that says it. This one is better than the original mini series. I wish we had more of the collapse of society, but the book doesn’t spend a lot of time on that either aside from the origins of a few characters. Most of the book is the journey to Boulder and reclaiming the Town. I like the cast. There are a few that don’t quite fit my picture of the character but I had that same problem with the original. All in all, I am glad they remade this.

Plebs on Amazon Prime. I’m currently on S3 and really like it. Several very funny characters. 

“Two desperate young men from the suburbs, try to get laid, hold down jobs and climb the social ladder while living in the big city...the city they're living in is ancient Rome.”

3 minutes ago, Payne said:

I love Salma Hayek, but I can't convince myself to watch "Bliss" on Amazon Prime Video.

I started it last night got about 30 minutes in and turned it off. It didn’t hook me in. Not sure if I’ll go back and finish it.

5 hours ago, Payne said:

I love Salma Hayek, but I can't convince myself to watch "Bliss" on Amazon Prime Video.

Belongs in the movie thread not this one, but I watched Everly today. Have you seen that? I watched it today.

Its not great but it has Salma Hayek kicking ###. Not terrible.

Edited by whoknew

14 hours ago, whoknew said:

Belongs in the movie thread not this one, but I watched Everly today. Have you seen that? I watched it today.

Its not great but it has Salma Hayek kicking ###. Not terrible.

I caught like 5 minutes of this and had no idea wtf it was. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, General Malaise said:

Started Flight Attendant last night.  Basically the same premise as Night Of.  Not sure I'll stick with it, though I do enjoy watching Kelly Coco (sp?).  

I watched the whole thing. Thought it was decent, much better than I was expecting.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, Cold Dead Hands said:

The Stand

I guess I will be the guy that says it. This one is better than the original mini series. I wish we had more of the collapse of society, but the book doesn’t spend a lot of time on that either aside from the origins of a few characters. Most of the book is the journey to Boulder and reclaiming the Town. I like the cast. There are a few that don’t quite fit my picture of the character but I had that same problem with the original. All in all, I am glad they remade this.

I've been watching this too.  Not sure how I feel about it.  I liked the original mini series, and this one isn't too bad.  I would've liked to have seen more of their journey to Boulder, but I get why they cut it short.  Not a fan of some of the characters/casting, but they found a very dislikable guy for Harold.  Every time I see him I want to punch his little weaselly face.  

Question about youtubeTV.

I have DirecTV and sign into various apps on firestick using my directv account to access the full library that the channel offers. Is this also possible with a youtubeTV account?

3 hours ago, jamny said:

Question about youtubeTV.

I have DirecTV and sign into various apps on firestick using my directv account to access the full library that the channel offers. Is this also possible with a youtubeTV account?

I can't say if it will work for all channels, but I do this with my Hulu account where I may login to a certain channels app (ESPN for example) and you need to verify your provider (DirecTV, Spectrum or in my case, Hulu) in order to access content

13 minutes ago, acarey50 said:

I can't say if it will work for all channels, but I do this with my Hulu account where I may login to a certain channels app (ESPN for example) and you need to verify your provider (DirecTV, Spectrum or in my case, Hulu) in order to access content

Thanks! That's what I'm wondering. maybe I'll download some random channel app and see if youtubeTV shows up as a provider.