What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (16 Viewers)

If you can do subtitles, I'm really enjoying Beartown
It's excellent.  I would have binged it straight through if it weren't on HBO.  Also just finished up "The Investigation" another subbed show.  It's not Beartown good but worth a watch.  

It's excellent.  I would have binged it straight through if it weren't on HBO.  Also just finished up "The Investigation" another subbed show.  It's not Beartown good but worth a watch.  
Oh, wow, I didn't realize they made a series out of Beartown.  Read the book a few years back and thought it was awesome. 

This was fantastic. Absolutely fascinating.

Only 3 episodes but really, really well done. Knew nothing about this going in.
I'm somewhat of a crime doc junkie, and the fact that I never heard about this story kind of blew my mind. I was in HS in 85 and have no memory of this happening. These wild cases usually get the Dateline or 20/20 treatment at some point, but don't recall even seeing that. It was like I was watching a fictional movie.

3 episodes was perfect. Sometimes they drag these things out.

ETA: I couldn't figure out how to add a spoiler so need to edit this a bit, but this was a deceptively deep series. On the surface it was a slick looking crime procedural, but it went way deeper. So many thoughts were bouncing around my head after watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I mentioned The Lady and the Dale. Absolutely crazy story. Maybe an ep or two too long, but worth it for the insanity. And weird tie-in to Tucker Carlson that I really should've seen coming.

Boss Level on Hulu is super fun. Yes, it’s a ripoff of Edge of Tomorrow (and every other Groundhog Day type movie), but it’s done really well as a hyper-violent video game-ish take on the genre. 

bigbottom said:
Boss Level on Hulu is super fun. Yes, it’s a ripoff of Edge of Tomorrow (and every other Groundhog Day type movie), but it’s done really well as a hyper-violent video game-ish take on the genre. 
Looks like it's a Frank Grillo flick. I'm in.

Really liked Perry Mason.  I'm a Rhys mark, hope they do a second season.
Off topic, but Conan O'Brien's podcast (Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend) had Matthew Rhys on a few months ago. I loved The Americans, so I gave the interview a listen. Rhys is hilarious. Plus he has a Welsh accent that totally throws you off because he's always playing American characters. Well worth listening to the interview.

bigbottom said:
I was in charge of finding a movie for the family last Saturday, which is a total chore because after a year of being at home together, I feel like we've seen everything. I picked this, and by the end, my wife and teenage daughter were mercilessly making so much fun of the movie that I yelled, "CAN WE JUST FINISH WATCHING IT ALREADY." Needless to say, they hated it. I thought it was fine. 

Off topic, but Conan O'Brien's podcast (Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend) had Matthew Rhys on a few months ago. I loved The Americans, so I gave the interview a listen. Rhys is hilarious. Plus he has a Welsh accent that totally throws you off because he's always playing American characters. Well worth listening to the interview.
The Americans is easily in my top 10 favorite series, maybe top 5.  There wasn't one bad actor that I can remember.  Rhys was otherworldly in his ability to convey frustration, tension, resentment, longing, and overall inner turmoil.  The tension between him and Russell was just crazy.  Can't say enough good things, and I really think Rhys did not receive the credit he deserved for his work in that show.  Perry Mason was obviously not to that level, but he was still very very good in it.

Captain Fantastic 

netflix

Viggo M movie from a few years back.  Some would say it’s about a family living off the grid.  I would tell you it’s about many layers of love.  

watch with your spouse

I just activated a free year of AppleTV+ due to a recent device purchase.  Never had it before and don’t really know anything about it.  Any TV, movie, or documentary recommendations?

I just activated a free year of AppleTV+ due to a recent device purchase.  Never had it before and don’t really know anything about it.  Any TV, movie, or documentary recommendations?
Def Ted Lasso. One of best shows last year.

Greyhound and The Morning Show were both decent. 

Ted Lasso

The Morning Show

Ted Lasso

Dickinson

Ted Lasso

For All Mankind

Ted Lasso

Defending Jacob

Ted Lasso

Tehran

Ted Lasso

Mythic Quest

and Ted Lasso

Home Before Dark (Apple TV)

We haven't finished this yet but unless it lays a complete egg in the final two episodes, I'm recommending it. (We're up to E8 of 10).  We've watched a lot of violent programing with pervasive profane language in our house over the past year and we were looking for something more PG and this fits the bill.  In the first episode the little girl that plays the lead is a little annoying, but if you can make it through E1 the story becomes significantly more charming and more enjoyable to watch.  It still has some minor violence and a little bit of harsh language but over all if you're looking for something that's family friendly this is very good. 

The Morning Show (Apple TV)

There were parts of this I liked a lot. Parts of it I detested.  It's the first time I watched Jennifer Anniston and thought she was really super annoying.  Not sure if I've looked past her annoying'ness over the years because of her other assets.  I liked the story line a lot until the final 30 minutes of the last episode.  Just sort of seemed like an important issue was turned into stupid. I liked Reese Witherspoon a lot.  The more I see her in programing like this (Little Fires Everywhere, and Big Little Lies) the more I like her.  Steve Carell plays the creep super well, and I loved the Billy Crudup character, although my wife didn't like him at all because she couldn't figure out if he was someone she would like working for. 

Tell Me Your Secrets (Amazon Prime)

I hated this.  I watched the whole thing.  I kept waiting for something to happen  to make me care about the characters and it never came.  It was a really convoluted story line.  Lots of back stories that I kept waiting to have something to do with the plot and they never tied in.  One positive, I liked the portrayal of the sociopath guy. (Hamish Linklater)

The General said:
Def Ted Lasso. One of best shows last year.

Greyhound and The Morning Show were both decent. 
I canceled Apple+ and the only think I’ll have to figure out how to get is Ted Lasso when it’s back for season 2. Apple+ came with a new phone, but not enough to keep me paying for it.

I’ll prolly be the same when mine’s up. 
Apple+ and HBOMax are my bottom 2. I have HBO via AT&T for free as well. I’ve got Hulu (w/ live), Netflix and Disney+, chances are that will be the “pay” channels for the foreseeable future. Also have Prime but like HBO, it’s free. Not planning to move cell plans so Prime and HBO will likely be there for the long haul, Prime absolutely will be there.

Need to get back into Yellowstone at some point.
I’ve been watching it as it came out from the beginning, recently the wife wanted to start so I’ve gone back with her an am rewatching from the beginning.  It’s even better the second pass though. What a fun show. 

Apple+ and HBOMax are my bottom 2. I have HBO via AT&T for free as well. I’ve got Hulu (w/ live), Netflix and Disney+, chances are that will be the “pay” channels for the foreseeable future. Also have Prime but like HBO, it’s free. Not planning to move cell plans so Prime and HBO will likely be there for the long haul, Prime absolutely will be there.
HBO has so much great stuff, I have just seen it all.

I had missed VEEP the first time though, that show was amazing if you haven’t watched. 

Need to get back into Yellowstone at some point.
I’ve been watching it as it came out from the beginning, recently the wife wanted to start so I’ve gone back with her an am rewatching from the beginning.  It’s even better the second pass though. What a fun show. 
:goodposting:  we've also been watching since day 1 and love it..

Earlier this year when they re-showed all previous seasons, I made sure to set the DVR to record all and never delete. 

:goodposting:

we watch the Great British Baking Show. it's fantastic. 

then my kids and wife love Chopped and a few other American cooking shows that are just terrible. faux drama. unnecessary faked trash talk. overly dramatic judges. 

i'm all the way out on American reality tv shows that aren't Survivor

When i go shopping, I read all the product names in Ted Allen's voice. 

Just finished Vikings over the weekend.  Really enjoyed it for the first three seasons, S4 started to go sideways a bit. S5 picked up again and imo that's where it should have ended, after S5.  By S6 I was just ready to be done with it.  

Either going to begin a rewatch of The Americans or dive into Shameless next.  

Tell Me Your Secrets (Amazon Prime)

I hated this.  I watched the whole thing.  I kept waiting for something to happen  to make me care about the characters and it never came.  It was a really convoluted story line.  Lots of back stories that I kept waiting to have something to do with the plot and they never tied in.  One positive, I liked the portrayal of the sociopath guy. (Hamish Linklater)
Ruh roh.

We're a few eps into this. 

Lately have watched 

Tread - slow for a lot of the show, but it does have a payoff in the end.  Needed to cut a half hour.

Manhunt: Deadly Games- absolutely fantastic.  Lots of stuff about Jewell and Rudolph I had no idea about.  Very entertaining.

Alice in Borderland - madcap awesomeness.  Turn off your brain and soak it in.  Can't wait for season 2.

Broadchurch - superb detective procedural show, but it's much heavier than what we would have thought.

My youngest daughter, 14, got to pick the next show we are watching. She picked Attack on Titan which is on Hulu. It's a Japanese anime show which she is into, but I gotta say, I'm way into it too. Season 1 was kinda slow, but I think we're into season 3 now and it's pretty cool. Subtitles are the way to go.

The payoff was pretty stupid IMO. Once they started going into "that stuff" I found myself a lot less interested in he show.
It definitely took a turn to the unexpected. I think thats what was so mind boggling about it. If you stop after 4 episodes you think its a run of the mill Lifetime type show.

About 50% of the time when I am watching The Expanse on Prime Video (almost done with Season 1), I get German subtitles below on-screen text.  It is SO WEIRD and sometimes blocks stuff out.  Glitch in the matrix?

Ah, weltschmerz
Not just me apparently

Posted by

u/lunaticfringe80

3 months ago

Prime Video random German subtitles?

I've got subtitles set to English language but disabled, and I'm getting a random German description while watching The Expanse. There will be some sign in a scene that days "warning" and all of a sudden a subtitle appears saying "achtung" and I can't seem to get it to stop.

It doesn't seem to happen every time there's English text in a scene, just every so often. Is this happening to anyone else? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but what are the best tv streaming options right now? Probably need something where I still can get network tv for the wife. Even better if it includes all the cable channels with the real life murdery shows my wife watches way too much of. Is there a bundle that includes Hulu+ and Disney+?

I’m not even sure what the other options even are now. YoutubeTV? 

My Comcast Bill just went up $40 and I’m tired of playing their games.

Users who are viewing this thread