What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

I generally agree or at least have aligned tastes with those posters who recommended Kim's Convenience and Loudermilk, but we bailed on both. We only made it through the first episode of Loudermilk and based on the reviews here saying it was the best one, we stopped. Just seemed forced, like they were trying to create a "type" of show/banter rather than something that just flowed from a bigger idea. The ending to that episode made us think we might continue because it was a little surprising but we haven't really thought about it since.

We gave Kim's a few episodes but just didn't find it all that funny.

I generally agree or at least have aligned tastes with those posters who recommended Kim's Convenience and Loudermilk, but we bailed on both. We only made it through the first episode of Loudermilk and based on the reviews here saying it was the best one, we stopped. Just seemed forced, like they were trying to create a "type" of show/banter rather than something that just flowed from a bigger idea. The ending to that episode made us think we might continue because it was a little surprising but we haven't really thought about it since.

We gave Kim's a few episodes but just didn't find it all that funny.
OK, see you.

she is...... outstanding isn't good enough... phenomenal? in the Sopranos. 

every single scene she just crushes
Often thought Whitecaps is the best acting I’ve ever seen. Between the two of them. 
I continue to be blown away by her.  I'm a couple of episodes into Season 3.  The show has some weaknesses that might keep it from rivaling The Wire or The Leftovers for me, but the acting (save Bracco) continues to be outstanding and the story is fun to watch.  Feels like it's really hitting its groove at this point.  The final episode of Season 2 was so heartbreaking to me that I had to pause my viewing for a few days, and it came on the heels of a very pleasing death in the penultimate episode of that season.  Then episode 2 of Season 3 ("Proshai, Livushka") might be my favorite one yet; seemed like the writers/producers/actors hit perfection on that one.

Garth Brooks: The Road I'm On  (NetFlix)

I just stumbled upon this doc from 2019.

I was never a fan of Brooks, although, I'll sing along to Friends in Low Places at the top of my lungs every time it comes on.  I do however like watching music documentaries to see what a successful act was like growing up and what barriers they overcame, and the hard work they put in to reach their level of success.  This documentary does all that.

But I came away from watching this really disliking him.  He comes off as a disingenuous melodramatic ninny.  So much so, it became almost comedic how he tries to be some old wise philosophical sage with all of his life advice. 

I liked the program but he really annoyed me.
Speaking of music docs, came across Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind, on Amazon Prime and thought it was very good. Must watch for any fan or his, that type of music, or music In general

8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Jett - This is now on HBO Max. Has anyone watched it? I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. Definitely will watch a few more.

Finished Loudermilk recently.  Really hope they make a season 4, my google research seems to indicate they haven't decided yet. 

We finished the new and final season of Atypical this weekend.  Good show, wish it wasn't going away.  

Has Virgin River been discussed in here?  It was #1 on Netflix over the weekend, but from the preview it looks like a series that would work best on the Hallmark Channel.  I mean, there's a place for that type of show, but for it to get to #1 seems odd.  Am I missing something?

Speaking of music docs, came across Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind, on Amazon Prime and thought it was very good. Must watch for any fan or his, that type of music, or music In general

8/10
Couldn't agree more.  I enjoyed the story of the one take recording of "The Edmund Fitzgerald".  Before viewing, I had no idea he was such a Canadian hero.

Clarkson's Farm   (Prime)

An 8 Epsiode series of Jeremy Clarkson "playing" farmer.  We had a 14 hour drive this weekend so we plugged this in and had it on while on the road.  It was very entertaining and enjoyed the banter between him and his Farm Hand Kaleb.  They experience flooding, drought, covid, and a ton of government red tape. 

I had not watched any of the previous Clarkson programs (Top Gear, The Grand Tour) so I don't know what the general consensus is on his personality, but I liked him a lot in this.

An 8 Epsiode series of Jeremy Clarkson "playing" farmer.  We had a 14 hour drive this weekend so we plugged this in and had it on while on the road.  It was very entertaining and enjoyed the banter between him and his Farm Hand Kaleb.  They experience flooding, drought, covid, and a ton of government red tape. 

I had not watched any of the previous Clarkson programs (Top Gear, The Grand Tour) so I don't know what the general consensus is on his personality, but I liked him a lot in this.
I mentioned this a few days ago and got no response.  We thought it was great and are hoping for a second season.

The White Lotus premiered last night on HBO Max and I thought it was pretty good, although I'm probably a little biased because my wife has worked in the hotel industry for her entire career.

A social satire set at an exclusive Hawaiian resort, the series follows the vacations of various hotel guests over the span of a week as they relax and rejuvenate is paradise.  But with each passing day, a darker complexity emerges in these picture perfect travelers, the hotel's cheerful employees, and the idyllic locale itself.

It's a 6-episode miniseries.

Has Virgin River been discussed in here?  It was #1 on Netflix over the weekend, but from the preview it looks like a series that would work best on the Hallmark Channel.  I mean, there's a place for that type of show, but for it to get to #1 seems odd.  Am I missing something?
Haven’t seen the show but the new season dropped Friday I believe (got a Netflix email on it last week.) Outside of that I’d say it’s probably the same demographic that made that awful Bridgerton show #1 for a long while.

Haven’t seen the show but the new season dropped Friday I believe (got a Netflix email on it last week.) Outside of that I’d say it’s probably the same demographic that made that awful Bridgerton show #1 for a long while.
Hey now, I was part of the Bridgerton crowd.   :bag:  (It was a bit like watching Netflix version of Skinimax at times.)

Hey now, I was part of the Bridgerton crowd.   :bag:  (It was a bit like watching Netflix version of Skinimax at times.)
Lol, no worries and to each their own. I am definitely not the target market for a show like Bridgerton but I watch lots of stuff other people sometimes trash in these threads.

Lol, no worries and to each their own. I am definitely not the target market for a show like Bridgerton but I watch lots of stuff other people sometimes trash in these threads.
To be fair, I tolerated it, my wife was the primary reason we watched.  

I think it reached #1 at some point in the other 2 seasons.

The White Lotus premiered last night on HBO Max and I thought it was pretty good, although I'm probably a little biased because my wife has worked in the hotel industry for her entire career.

A social satire set at an exclusive Hawaiian resort, the series follows the vacations of various hotel guests over the span of a week as they relax and rejuvenate is paradise.  But with each passing day, a darker complexity emerges in these picture perfect travelers, the hotel's cheerful employees, and the idyllic locale itself.

does it have like aliens or thor and stuff or what take that to the bank brohan 

Virgin River is Lifetime soap level garbage that even my mom wouldn't watch. There are 6 punchable characters at least.  Don't bother.  

I got like two episodes in. Your assessment seems spot on to me.

Wife and I liked this a lot. And I have/had no idea who he is either.

Garth Brooks: The Road I'm On  (NetFlix)

I just stumbled upon this doc from 2019.

I was never a fan of Brooks, although, I'll sing along to Friends in Low Places at the top of my lungs every time it comes on.  I do however like watching music documentaries to see what a successful act was like growing up and what barriers they overcame, and the hard work they put in to reach their level of success.  This documentary does all that.

But I came away from watching this really disliking him.  He comes off as a disingenuous melodramatic ninny.  So much so, it became almost comedic how he tries to be some old wise philosophical sage with all of his life advice. 

I liked the program but he really annoyed me.
The families need closure.  Where are the bodies, Garth!?!?

I love Too Gear and The Grand Tour and Clarkson is fantastic in both of them. He’s definitely the glue that holds the shows together.

But from some past incidents, the evidence says he can be a real jerk in real life.

CletiusMaximus said:
I Think You Should Leave - Season 2 out now. 6 more fantastic episodes every bit as great as Season 1.
I never saw the first season, so I watched that and the new ones. Very surreal and really funny. Strong writing. Tim Robinson cracks me up. A lot of cameos and guest shots from recognizable stars, too.

Just finished Halt and Catch Fire.  Although 40 episodes is an investment, I'd highly recommend.  

I wasn't sure about the first half of season 4, but last half was good and just a great finale.  

I was a little concerned initially that this was going to be too much about computers.  But so much more.  And a lot of good nostalgia running from early 80's to early 90's.

Just finished Halt and Catch Fire.  Although 40 episodes is an investment, I'd highly recommend.  

I wasn't sure about the first half of season 4, but last half was good and just a great finale.  

I was a little concerned initially that this was going to be too much about computers.  But so much more.  And a lot of good nostalgia running from early 80's to early 90's.
Big big fan. Glad you liked it.

PlayaHata said:

Watched ep1...good stuff, thanks!

Mike White created it, so has his low-key quirky humor. Great cast. 

PlayaHata said:

Thanks!  Why didn't anyone mention that Alexandra Daddario is in this!

Still has the same smokin' hot body she showed off in True Detective. 

Emmys: ‘Ted Lasso’ Surpasses ‘Glee’ As Most Nominated Freshman Comedy

Ted Lasso scored 20 Emmy nominations on Tuesday, becoming the most-nominated freshman comedy series in TV history.

The Apple TV+ series surpassed a record previously set by Fox musical-comedy Glee, which claimed 19 nominations back in 2010, also establishing itself as the most nominated comedy of the year.

On the acting side, the show earned a nom for Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Jason Sudeikis), as well as two nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (which went to Hannah Waddingham and Juno Temple) and four in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (which went to Brett Goldstein, Jeremy Swift, Nick Mohammed and co-creator Brendan Hunt).

Additional noms came in the categories of Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour), Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series, Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series (3X), Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series (2X), Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music, Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation, Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation, and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series (2X).

PlayaHata said:

Hmm... its from (Writer/director/producer) the guy who raced on Amazing Race with his dad - Mike White,

Started this last night based on your recommendation.  Two episodes in and already looking forward to seeing more!

I searched the thread but didn't see this listed. A friend just suggested "Stath Lets Flats" on HBO Max. It's a British show about a Greek-Brit named Stath who works for his dad at an apartment rental agency. (The main actor, Jamie Demetriou, has been in a bunch of stuff recently, but I usually remember him as the buck-toothed guy from "Fleabag.") We watched with our kids (16 and 12) and loved it. The main character is very reminiscent to me of David Brent/Michael Scott from "The Office" -- basically someone who lacks all self-awareness, which is the set-up for others to react to him. There are only two seasons (six episodes each), and while we enjoyed the first season, the second one was markedly funnier. There's supposed to be a third season this year. 

Mr. InBetween (FX & HULU) - this is legitimately one of my favorite shows. it's an Australian show about a tough guy and occasional criminal, who is also a single dad with family & relationship problems. it is close to wrapping up the 3rd season, which will be the last, and I'm bummed it's ending. it's kinda hard to describe, but there's some comedy, some action, and some good "whoa" moments. I strongly recommend it. NOTE: if you have a problem with accents, watch with subtitles. rating 8.5/10
FYI, the final episode for this came out last night. wow. I think you can catch the whole series on Hulu if interested.

The way Netflix did and released the Fear Street movie trilogy is really interesting. The movies haven’t been fantastic so far, but the idea of a trilogy that all work as individual movies but also have a central plot line running through them being released in the same month at one week intervals is a model I kind of like.

A good mix of binging while still allowing each movie to breathe just a bit and build some anticipation. Kind of creates more of an “experience”.

the new Space Jam with LeBron on HBO Max is pretty fun.... I recommend if you have kids or enjoy basketball or enjoy LeBron.

Favorite moment? LeBron's team is behind and they hope Michael Jordan will appear to save the day.  Michael B. Jordan shows up 😆

Users who are viewing this thread