Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

KCC

4 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

the new Space Jam with LeBron on HBO Max is pretty fun.... I recommend if you have kids or enjoy basketball or enjoy LeBron.

Favorite moment? LeBron's team is behind and they hope Michael Jordan will appear to save the day.  Michael B. Jordan shows up 😆

No Jim Rome though, right? He’s still getting royalties from the first one.

• Like 2

Watched Dr Death on Peacock.

Alec Baldwin, Christian Slater, Joshua Jackson in a medical/legal drama (based on a true story) about a lethally bad doctor.

8 episodes I think.

Not bad at all.

I’ve been pretty impressed with Apple TV in the couple of months we’ve had it. Ted Lasso is one of my favorite shows in the last few years, and Mythic Quest is pretty good in the Silicon Valley mold. The season 2 finale of For All Mankind is A++ TV even if I’ve found the series to be pretty uneven overall. Definitely worth a few bucks to binge some of Apple’s content, especially with Ted Lasso season 2 releasing soon. 

Edited by thecatch
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, thecatch said:

For All Mankind

really fun show. I loved the 1st season (learned a ton about the real history, and was entertained by the alt-history) and while the 2nd season shifted gears a bit, it still held a high standard and was arguably a more complete show.

doesn't get much if any chatter in here... and it should.

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

really fun show. I loved the 1st season (learned a ton about the real history, and was entertained by the alt-history) and while the 2nd season shifted gears a bit, it still held a high standard and was arguably a more complete show.

Interesting. While the premise is fascinating, I was pretty bored by much of the first season and probably would have bailed but for the fact that my wife was all in. I thought the second season was mostly fantastic (except for Mrs Baldwin’s storyline).  Really interested to see where they go in season 3. I too am surprised it hasn’t generated much buzz around here. 

Edited by thecatch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

The Fear Streets were........meh.   I can comfortably say I will not rewatch them.

I agree, not rewatachable.. But I've enjoyed the first two.. Being a big fan of the first 3 Friday the 13th, I Loved them using Friday the 13th music in the camp. Also, some pretty good kills.. The meat slicer death was a :shock:

Edited by snogger

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I think Apple TV is lagging on subscriber uptake. I don’t have it yet and I pay for everything, even FUBo despite not having a channel grid on Roku for f sake. 

I just upgraded my iPhone. Wasn’t I supposed to get a free sub?

Re-Watched a couple of movies over the weekend:

Michael Clayton  (HBO Max)

I've now watched this movie 4 times.  It's a formula that's been rehashed in legal dramas over and over, (Erin Brokovich, Rainmaker, Dark Waters etc.) but it's a formula I like.  David vs. Goliath.  Clooney was at his best and Tom Wilkinson is a gift. Tom Wilkinson lost the Supporting Oscar that year to Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men. Hard to argue with that, but Wilkinson was really great. In a couple of years, I will gladly watch this movie for a 5th time.

Argo  (HBO Max)

I hadn't seen this since I saw it in the theater.  The high point of the movie, the suspense of the Americans trying to get on the plane while their identity was being discovered by the Iranians was really well done.  If never seen before, I recommend it.  If you've seen it before, it's maybe worth a re-watch.  I'm glad I watched it again, I won't need to see it a third time.

Edited by On The Rocks
  • Like 4

Started a couple of mini series over the weekend:

The 100 Foot Wave  (HBO Max)

6 Part Mini Series.

Only Episode 1 is currently available.  Episode 1 is AMAZING. The cinematography is pretty incredible. Just watch this trailer:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14126234/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A brief description: Garrett McNamara's search for the the biggest surfable wave on the planet.  The interview's of his "team" adds a lot of interest to this series; the locals in Nazare, Portugal, the dudes from Ireland, and all of his surf buddies from California and Hawaii. 

Catch and Kill: The Podcast Tapes  (HBO Max)

Another 6 part mini series.  The first 4 epiosodes are available.

Ronan Farrow, leads a series of interviews surrounding the events leading up to the arrest of Harvey Weinstein. 

Much like the Doc "Untouchable", it's disturbing.  Why dozens of his enablers aren't in prison is a mystery to me.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, Nick Vermeil said:

I think Apple TV is lagging on subscriber uptake. I don’t have it yet and I pay for everything, even FUBo despite not having a channel grid on Roku for f sake. 

I just upgraded my iPhone. Wasn’t I supposed to get a free sub?

They ended that promotion at the beginning of this month. With new devices you get 3 months free now, everyone else has to pay $4.99 a month.

5 minutes ago, Buckna said:

They ended that promotion at the beginning of this month. With new devices you get 3 months free now, everyone else has to pay $4.99 a month.

And if you’ve previously purchased a device eligible for the promotion, you’re not eligible again. I bought an iPhone 2 years ago and didn’t use the free year. Just bought a new MacBook and it says I am not eligible for the promotion because I previously purchased a device that was eligible for the promotion. So dumb.

That being said, if you live in the Apple ecosystem, the Apple One service bundle seems like a good deal. For an individual, $15 a month gets you Apple Music, Apple+, 50 GB or iCloud storage, and Apple Arcade. I don’t actually care about Apple Arcade.

For $20 a month on the Family plan, you get 200 GB of storage, Apple Arcade, Apple+, and the Apple Music family plan.

Edited by GroveDiesel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buckna said:

I actually got a notification on my phone to set up the trial on the way home last night for the 1 year free.  I purchased on the 1st for what it's worth.  So I'm all good to crap on El Floppo's recommendations now.   

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

And I watched The Tomorrow War.  It is completely ridiculous, defies all logic, the characters repeatedly to the dumbest things. All around just a mess.  I enjoyed it. 

I agree with everything you said, I think you were nicer than I would be. 
I enjoyed it as well.

• Like 1

I'm rewatching Wayward Pines on Hulu with my 14 year old. She loves shows like Stranger Things and she's enjoying it so far. We're up to episode 3 where the wall opens and a creature takes the body and she says "it's like the demogorgon in Stranger Things". Kind of fun rewatching it as I had no idea who the Duffer Brothers were in 2015, and that they'd go on to create Stranger Things. Definitely can see some of their style in Wayward Pines that they built on for Stranger Things. I don't remember liking the ending of Wayward Pines, but we're having fun. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

I'm rewatching Wayward Pines on Hulu with my 14 year old. She loves shows like Stranger Things and she's enjoying it so far. We're up to episode 3 where the wall opens and a creature takes the body and she says "it's like the demogorgon in Stranger Things". Kind of fun rewatching it as I had no idea who the Duffer Brothers were in 2015, and that they'd go on to create Stranger Things. Definitely can see some of their style in Wayward Pines that they built on for Stranger Things. I don't remember liking the ending of Wayward Pines, but we're having fun. 

had no idea that was them! really fun show... to a point. fortunately they didn't run a bunch of seasons once that point passed.

I think both kids would like this one... will give it a go- thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:
On 7/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, Juxtatarot said:

I loved the first episode of White Lotus but hate this concept of releasing an episode once a week.

Second episode also fantastic. Now another week of waiting.  :kicksrock:

I'm old school on this - prefer once-a-week over binging the whole season.

(also digging White Lotus)

Edited by CletiusMaximus
  • Like 3

I haven’t been able to find much new stuff that appeals to me so I’ve been rewatching Justified.

Such a great show. I haven’t seen it since it came out in 2010. I remember the characters well but not so much the story lines so it’s been a good rewatch. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

I haven’t been able to find much new stuff that appeals to me so I’ve been rewatching Justified.

Such a great show. I haven’t seen it since it came out in 2010. I remember the characters well but not so much the story lines so it’s been a good rewatch. 

Always my fall back show to watch.  Just a pick a season and rewatch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boilerdave said:

Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe could be the most underrated character in the series.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, Nick Vermeil said:

And I watched The Tomorrow War.  It is completely ridiculous, defies all logic, the characters repeatedly to the dumbest things. All around just a mess.  I enjoyed it. 

Same here.  Reminded me of Independence Day.  Not winning any Oscars, but just wacky enough to be fun.

6 hours ago, boilerdave said:

Might be top 10 for me.  Great show.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, thecatch said:

I’ve been pretty impressed with Apple TV in the couple of months we’ve had it. Ted Lasso is one of my favorite shows in the last few years, and Mythic Quest is pretty good in the Silicon Valley mold. The season 2 finale of For All Mankind is A++ TV even if I’ve found the series to be pretty uneven overall. Definitely worth a few bucks to binge some of Apple’s content, especially with Ted Lasso season 2 releasing soon. 

I started For All Mankind after reading this post.  Am halfway through season 2.  Love it.  What a gem.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 4:56 AM, On The Rocks said:

Michael Clayton  (HBO Max)

Tom Wilkinson is a gift. 

Yes.  In everything he's in.  One of my favorite actors.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So those in the Soccer thread and Euro thread know I've been going to this Italian Cafe for the last month and a Half and ended up becoming friends with a lot of the guys. The place is so authentic Italian a lot of the patrons have family back in Italy and even listen to Italian music as well as watch Italian TV shows. 

There's a really good show on the Neopolitan Mafia "Camorrah" That was broadcasted by Sky on Don Peitra Sevastano and his crime ring. It's based on a book called Gamorrah and the Show is of the Same name. It's written by a former soldier who is now in witness protection. HBO Max has the show. I was suggested this by people at the Cafe after one of the Waiters from Naples was saying he never traveled to certain areas do to how dangerous it was with the mafia. 

Trust me when I say this but this Show is better then The Sopranos (Ironic since HBO that aired them is airing this) and is the biggest hit Drama in Italy. There's a Movie called The Immortale which is based on one of the Characters Ciro that has been very hard to find in the US but HBOMax just announced it will debut stream July 29th. The movie follows Ciro and is a prequel and a sequel to events that end in Season 3 and lead up to season 4. 

Season 5 of Gammorah will start airing soon and is the final season. It's in English as well as Italian with English Subs. It's way better to watch in Italian because with the English and watching it with the English Subs the movement of the mouths the subtitles aren't always the right words. Plus watching it in raw form is amazing and you might pick up on some Italian too. 

The show has great character build and great cinamatography. If you want a true Crime Mafia show to watch this is it. It's a huge hit in Italy and anywhere else it's aired it's become popular. The talent in the show are amazing. I can't rave enough about this show. I was about to start Mare of Eastown when I got home that night before this was suggested to me. 

Also there is a Romanian Mafia called Umbre thats being talked about. Yet to watch that though but very similar. 

Edited by DJackson10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Trust me when I say this but this Show is better then The Sopranos 

I started a thread on the show when it first came to the US...wasnt much interest and the thread died. Gomorrah. Heres my first post there...

Is anybody watching this? contemporary show about the mafia in naples, italy. we seem to be 2 double episodes in (4 episodes shown in two nights). 

not sure yet if this is really grabbing me- something seems to be missing so far. but yet, I'm also still giving it a go. really like the Ciro character and actor.

as a mob show with some family component to it, it's hard not to compare to the Sopranos... and it's waaaay short of that mark so far. but again- still fun enough to keep watching.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I started a thread on the show when it first came to the US...wasnt much interest and the thread died. Gomorrah. Heres my first post there...

Is anybody watching this? contemporary show about the mafia in naples, italy. we seem to be 2 double episodes in (4 episodes shown in two nights). 

not sure yet if this is really grabbing me- something seems to be missing so far. but yet, I'm also still giving it a go. really like the Ciro character and actor.

as a mob show with some family component to it, it's hard not to compare to the Sopranos... and it's waaaay short of that mark so far. but again- still fun enough to keep watching.

How far did you get and did you change your opinion? 

6 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Also the Movie others refered to in that thread is very loosely based on the show or book. 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, El Floppo said:

I was just popping in to mention it.  Just finished season 2.  There are some boring spots, but the season finale of season 2 was about as good as TV gets.  That was a fantastic ending.  

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

How far did you get and did you change your opinion? 

Started the latest season...maybe 4? But havent finished it. Its got good and bad Italian qualities to it which keeps it from hitting real highs for me (I find a lot of italian film and tv since the 80s to be way too schmaltzy), and has some silly plot things, but its definitely worth the watch.

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

Also the Movie others refered to in that thread is very loosely based on the show or book. 

I think in my thread somebody said there was a book, then movie, and then the tv show...so the show refers to the other stuff.

21 minutes ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Garry Shandling fans that have HBO Max should check out The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. A documentary directed by his friend Judd Apatow that's over 4 hours of comedy goodness. Touching and sad too.

It’s very good. 

Enemy at the Gates (Hulu)   9/10 for me

Jude Law, Rachel, Weisz, Ed Harris in a WW2 sniper film.

Mostly true story

Just watched for the umpteenth time.

Only drawback is Bob Hoskin's portrayal of Kruschev

• Love 1

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Started the latest season...maybe 4? But havent finished it. Its got good and bad Italian qualities to it which keeps it from hitting real highs for me (I find a lot of italian film and tv since the 80s to be way too schmaltzy), and has some silly plot things, but its definitely worth the watch.

I think in my thread somebody said there was a book, then movie, and then the tv show...so the show refers to the other stuff.

I'm halfway through the first season. It's ok, but actually prefer Suburra much more.

37 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'm halfway through the first season. It's ok, but actually prefer Suburra much more.

Liked them both about the same, tbh. Similar schmaltz and plot silliness in both, but both are worth watching- Suburra a little broader scope.

@DJackson10 you should check out Suburra. 

2 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Garry Shandling fans that have HBO Max should check out The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. A documentary directed by his friend Judd Apatow that's over 4 hours of comedy goodness. Touching and sad too.

Really really good

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

The Show uses mostly from the book. There's parts of the movie loosely based on the book but the Show itself takes more from the book. If you can I'd hold off on watching the rest of season 4 till The Immortal Movie is released as it apparently ties up some loose ends from Season 3 cliff hanger. I just finished season 2 

On 7/21/2021 at 11:13 PM, zoonation said:

I started For All Mankind after reading this post.  Am halfway through season 2.  Love it.  What a gem.  

Season 2 finally is easily one the best episodes of TV of all time.  I can't remember the last show (maybe breaking bad) that paid off literally everything it had slowed burned leading up to it in such glorious fashion.  As good as TV gets IMO.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zoonation said:

Season 2 finally is easily one the best episodes of TV of all time.  I can't remember the last show (maybe breaking bad) that paid off literally everything it had slowed burned leading up to it in such glorious fashion.  As good as TV gets IMO.

Just watched the pilot.  Pretty good.  I didn't realize it was Ronald D. Moore.  I'm on board.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 12:20 AM, leftcoastguy7 said:

Favorite moment? LeBron's team is behind and they hope Michael Jordan will appear to save the day.  Michael B. Jordan shows up 😆

geeeeeez, spoiler alert!!  lol

Probably mentioned hundreds of pages ago but I just blitzed through Vice Principals over the past week at the recommendation of a buddy of mine.  I've always found Danny McBride to be unfunny and largely annoying, but I adore anything with Walton Goggins so finally bit the bullet.  Definitely a weird show, but I'd give it 7/10.  Only about 18 episodes and they're 30 minutes each so it's a quick watch (2 seasons total). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

what did you end up paying for the PS5?  And how did you track it down?

Retail from a WalMart brick and mortar in December.  I got lucky and found a way to see the stock from the app.  Just a fluke thing that was patched later the same day.  Literally walked in, asked for one at the electronics desk and walked out with the PS5.  Merry Christmas to me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1