Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

KCC

On 7/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, leftcoastguy7 said:

Garry Shandling fans that have HBO Max should check out The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. A documentary directed by his friend Judd Apatow that's over 4 hours of comedy goodness. Touching and sad too.

Just finished this one.

Thanks for posting otherwise I may have never come across it.

Such a human, tortured, beautiful soul he was.

Quite an array of comedic faces  and voices throughout the 4 hours.

I think I even saw Marty Feldman in one of the photos.  He might have even seen me too.

Funny personal note:  I've been using the 'I sold my house and boy is the landlord mad about it' joke for probably 30 years.  I knew I borrowed it from a kind of semi-unknown comedian from wayyy back.  It was Garry's joke, I realize now.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Got an email yesterday that my PS5 gives me 6 free months of Apple TV+.  So happy as I really want to watch Ted Lasso.  

:pickle:

Apple TV isn’t long in programming.   But it’s deep.  Quality everywhere.  Enjoy. 

I recently finished watching "Breaking Bad" and now I'm up to Season 4 of "Better Call Saul". I'm actually enjoying BCS more than I did BB. Probably because I'm getting backstory on the Saul and Mike characters. On BB the little they showed of Mike left me wanting to know more and Saul was kind of annoying. BB was very good, but I am enjoying BCS more.

• Like 2

Just found something to watch that some of you might enjoy.

Bahubali is an Indian epic film that came out a few years ago. It's on Netflix. It's apparently India's biggest budget film as well as highest grossing film. There's a second part that I'll be watching soon as well.

Here's a trailer for it.

19 hours ago, northern exposure said:

I recently finished watching "Breaking Bad" and now I'm up to Season 4 of "Better Call Saul". I'm actually enjoying BCS more than I did BB. Probably because I'm getting backstory on the Saul and Mike characters. On BB the little they showed of Mike left me wanting to know more and Saul was kind of annoying. BB was very good, but I am enjoying BCS more.

Crazy talk

• Like 1

Three episodes into The White Lotus and this ranks among the best comedies I’ve ever seen in my life.  Everything about it is so perfect…the setups, the directing, the characters, the dialogue, the drama, the music. In some ways I’m glad it’s only a six part miniseries because something so good can be hard to keep going.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Three episodes into The White Lotus and this ranks among the best comedies I’ve ever seen in my life.  Everything about it is so perfect…the setups, the directing, the characters, the dialogue, the drama, the music. In some ways I’m glad it’s only a six part miniseries because something so good can be hard to keep going.

I’m partway through the first ep. Going to have keep going.

2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

The conversation between Steve Zahn and Alexandra Daddario in episode 3 had me ROTFL.

• Like 1

We've been trying to get through Lisey's Story on Apple. It's definitely trying for "serious" art-TV, with a narrative structure all over the place (editing and chronology jump around) and lots of knock-out visuals, and decent acting...but something's missing and it's a slog. We'll wrap it up since I think we're almost done...but hard to tell with the way the timeline bounces around. Might just skip to the end.

Edited by El Floppo
Not a 5k

On 7/24/2021 at 11:51 PM, CGRdrJoe said:

####kk, ted lasso is once a week? this is some bs, great first episode to season 2 :wall: 

My wife and I had the exact same reaction when we sat down to watch it last night. I want to hop into a time machine and explain to me-from-30-years-ago that in 2021 I will get annoyed at only being able to watch one episode of a show per week. :lmao:

In all seriousness, I do think some shows lend themselves more toward bingeability. With a complex, hour-long drama like The Wire or Breaking Bad, you're not going to be able to sit through too many episodes in a single sitting regardless. But with a show like Ted Lasso, you can crank through a bunch of them. That makes this all the more frustrating.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 1:04 AM, zoonation said:

Apple TV isn’t long in programming.   But it’s deep.  Quality everywhere.  Enjoy. 

Have you watched Schmigadoon? They're promoting it heavily before Ted Lasso. Love the cast and it seems to be getting good reviews. Will probably check out the first episode sometime in the next couple days.

1 hour ago, ignatiusjreilly said:

My wife and I had the exact same reaction when we sat down to watch it last night. I want to hop into a time machine and explain to me-from-30-years-ago that in 2021 I will get annoyed at only being able to watch one episode of a show per week. :lmao:

In all seriousness, I do think some shows lend themselves more toward bingeability. With a complex, hour-long drama like The Wire or Breaking Bad, you're not going to be able to sit through too many episodes in a single sitting regardless. But with a show like Ted Lasso, you can crank through a bunch of them. That makes this all the more frustrating.

I am not so sure about that.  I watched Breaking Bad for the first time a few months ago.  I was able to binge it in a couple weeks.  The episodes just flew by and the intenseness led to wanting to keep watching.  

2 hours ago, ignatiusjreilly said:

Have you watched Schmigadoon? They're promoting it heavily before Ted Lasso. Love the cast and it seems to be getting good reviews. Will probably check out the first episode sometime in the next couple days.

We love it. You might have to appreciate musicals to enjoy it though. 

1 hour ago, Gally said:

I am not so sure about that.  I watched Breaking Bad for the first time a few months ago.  I was able to binge it in a couple weeks.  The episodes just flew by and the intenseness led to wanting to keep watching.  

Yeah, maybe less true of BB. I was thinking more of The Wire. Enjoyed the hell out of it, but watching an episode of that show was like homework. I would need time to think it over, read a recap so I was straight on exactly what happened, and then process it some more.

29 minutes ago, Capella said:

We love it. You might have to appreciate musicals to enjoy it though. 

Good to hear. Yeah, a number of the reviews I read mentioned that if you relate too much to Keegan Michael Key's character, you probably won't like the show.

Did you ever watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? From what I've read of Schmigadoon, it sounds a little like that show, in the sense of "originals" that are often thinly veiled, self-aware parodies of well-known songs. (To be clear, I loved CXG)

Anyway, we'll probably watch the first couple episodes over the weekend and then I'll post my thoughts here

On 7/12/2021 at 8:34 AM, Poke_4_Life said:

Finished Loudermilk recently.  Really hope they make a season 4, my google research seems to indicate they haven't decided yet. 

We finished the new and final season of Atypical this weekend.  Good show, wish it wasn't going away.  

Finally watched season 3 of Loudermilk. I thought it was really good - and Brian Regan was great.

9 hours ago, ignatiusjreilly said:

Good to hear. Yeah, a number of the reviews I read mentioned that if you relate too much to Keegan Michael Key's character, you probably won't like the show.

Did you ever watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? From what I've read of Schmigadoon, it sounds a little like that show, in the sense of "originals" that are often thinly veiled, self-aware parodies of well-known songs. (To be clear, I loved CXG)

Anyway, we'll probably watch the first couple episodes over the weekend and then I'll post my thoughts here

Lol yea his character was me about 15 years ago. It’s pretty good. 

didn’t see crazy ex but my wife loved it. I’m sure you’ll like this show, it’s really good. 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, On The Rocks said:

Catch and Kill: The Podcast Tapes  (HBO Max)

Another 6 part mini series.  The first 4 epiosodes are available.

Ronan Farrow, leads a series of interviews surrounding the events leading up to the arrest of Harvey Weinstein. 

Much like the Doc "Untouchable", it's disturbing.  Why dozens of his enablers aren't in prison is a mystery to me.

We finished this last night.  It was hit and miss.  Parts of it were terrific.  Parts of it were forgettable.  If you have HBO it's worth watching, if you don't have HBO, it's not something I would pay a one month subscription just to watch this program.

• Like 1

Watched both seasons of Black Summer. I'm not usually a fan of fast zombies but I enjoyed this, especially by fast forwarding through most of the talking. There's no sympathy for characters here so no need to really get to know most of them. There are also a lot of drawn out suspenseful scenes of people walking around in fear that can be zipped past. The camera work is excellent, it's all very frantic at times. The FX don't come close to The Walking Dead but it's more realistic, a much more horrible world with less cartoonish characters. The finale of S1 was a bit over the top but the S2 finale was excellent. I'll watch more if there's another season.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, Maik Jeaunz said:

Mr. InBetween (FX & HULU) - this is legitimately one of my favorite shows. it's an Australian show about a tough guy and occasional criminal, who is also a single dad with family & relationship problems. it is close to wrapping up the 3rd season, which will be the last, and I'm bummed it's ending. it's kinda hard to describe, but there's some comedy, some action, and some good "whoa" moments. I strongly recommend it. NOTE: if you have a problem with accents, watch with subtitles. rating 8.5/10

This show is legit fantastic. Started watching based on this recommendation and it has not disappointed. It's almost a Breaking Bad feel to it. 

Give this a go, you will not be disappointed. Halfway through season 2 and loving it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Watched "The Hunt" on HBOMax - Comedy/Horror genre - with a little social commentary sprinkled in.

Surprisingly kept my interest for the duration.  Its not going to win any awards, but it was entertaining.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Watched "The Hunt" on HBOMax - Comedy/Horror genre - with a little social commentary sprinkled in.

Surprisingly kept my interest for the duration.  Its not going to win any awards, but it was entertaining.

a little?  Thought it was pretty heavy handed but I thought it was an entertaining movie nonetheless 

• Like 1

Just now, Dan Lambskin said:

a little?  Thought it was pretty heavy handed but I thought it was an entertaining movie nonetheless 

I mean, it (Social commentary) was so over the top, that it was more humorous than anything.  

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:
On 7/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, Maik Jeaunz said:

Mr. InBetween (FX & HULU) - this is legitimately one of my favorite shows. it's an Australian show about a tough guy and occasional criminal, who is also a single dad with family & relationship problems. it is close to wrapping up the 3rd season, which will be the last, and I'm bummed it's ending. it's kinda hard to describe, but there's some comedy, some action, and some good "whoa" moments. I strongly recommend it. NOTE: if you have a problem with accents, watch with subtitles. rating 8.5/10

This show is legit fantastic. Started watching based on this recommendation and it has not disappointed. It's almost a Breaking Bad feel to it. 

Give this a go, you will not be disappointed. Halfway through season 2 and loving it.

I  plan to turn to this or that Lotus thingie as soon as I'm done with The Sopranos (which will be a while due to Olympics), based on recommendations here.  :thumbup: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Outer banks season 2 may be the dumbest show in the history of TV.  Holy crap that is bad.  

This must be why my teenage kids enjoyed it.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:22 PM, Capella said:

Lol yea his character was me about 15 years ago. It’s pretty good. 

didn’t see crazy ex but my wife loved it. I’m sure you’ll like this show, it’s really good. 

Update: Watched the first episode. I thought it was OK, but my wife really wasn't into it (maybe she's more of the KMK character?) Maybe I'll watch the rest on my own, but she's definitely out.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:51 PM, CGRdrJoe said:

####kk, ted lasso is once a week? this is some bs, great first episode to season 2 :wall: 

Other annoying thing I realized about this schedule: I was planning on paying for one more month of Apple+ while we binged S2, then dropping the service. Now I have to keep paying until they release the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, Ted Lasso is definitely worth the extra $10 or whatever it ends up costing me. I just wish we didn't have to

6 hours ago, ignatiusjreilly said:

Other annoying thing I realized about this schedule: I was planning on paying for one more month of Apple+ while we binged S2, then dropping the service. Now I have to keep paying until they release the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, Ted Lasso is definitely worth the extra $10 or whatever it ends up costing me. I just wish we didn't have to

There are a few other pretty good shows you can check out in the downtime - For all Mankind is good, as is 1971. The Beastie Boys documentary is good. My wife loved the Breakfast Show.  Reviews on Schmigadoon are very strong.  Mythic Quest has been well-reviewed, but I stopped after about  5 or 6 episodes.  @El Floppo loved See - dude absolutely raves about that show, so maybe its OK.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

There are a few other pretty good shows you can check out in the downtime - For all Mankind is good, as is 1971. The Beastie Boys documentary is good. My wife loved the Breakfast Show.  Reviews on Schmigadoon are very strong.  Mythic Quest has been well-reviewed, but I stopped after about  5 or 6 episodes.  @El Floppo loved See - dude absolutely raves about that show, so maybe its OK.

S2 coming soon!!!

You know you're watching it.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, gianmarco said:

have you made it to episode 9 of season 2 yet, titled "Socks Are Important"? there are lots of great episodes, but that might be the best. goosebumps.

Just now, Maik Jeaunz said:

have you made it to episode 9 of season 2 yet, titled "Socks Are Important"? there are lots of great episodes, but that might be the best. goosebumps.

Literally the episode I'm about to start.

1 hour ago, Chaos Commish said:

Started Mr. Inbetween this morning. Starting S1E6 in a minute. Definitely my kind of show. A bit dark. Anti-hero. Quick episodes. This won't take long.

The wife vetoed it. I'll have go solo late night for it...or get a new wife.

• Thinking 1

4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

That's cute that you think I don't have enough shows to watch. 

In all seriousness, this year I actually went so far as to put together a list of streaming TV shows and movies I wanted to catch up on. Then put it in order of priority and have been slowly working my way through. Next up is either Schitt's Creek or Big Mouth. Unfortunately, my wife already watched the former and has no interest in the latter, so I'll probably have to do it on my own time. (Also will probably do less show watching once football season is under way).