What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

Binged The Chair on Netflix last night - 6, 30-minute episodes.

Comedy-Drama with Sandra Oh where she becomes the Chair of the English department at a Liberal Arts university - dealing with a variety of culture/woke issues. 

I liked it.  Its a little quirky, and took an interesting path to get to the end - and not what I was expecting.
We watched the first ep last night. Great cast and a decent start...will definitely watch the rest.
We're a few more in...good stuff.

I started “never have I ever” on Netflix and really like it. Coming of age/teen comedy. I’d watch with older kids,  maybe 13+. 

I started “never have I ever” on Netflix and really like it. Coming of age/teen comedy. I’d watch with older kids,  maybe 13+. 
Wife got me into this, fun show. Daughters like it as well but won't watch with us because they talk about sex.

A couple of shows I finally had a chance to wrap up last night:

100 Foot Wave  (HBO Max)

As mentioned in my original post regarding this program, the cinematography is breathtakingly superb!  The entire series is a bit slow, but each episode is good to very good.  I enjoyed getting to hear from all the characters from this big wave community.  You really get to know them in a way that is enjoyable.  Some of the coverage of the wipe outs is remarkable.  One spoiler of sorts, the first episode in my opinion was by far the best.

The White Lotus  (HBO Max)

It sucks you in right from the beginning.  Each episode has something happen to wet your appetite, but you keep waiting for something REALLY BIG to happen, and it just didn't.  At least not for me.  I've enjoyed watching Steve Zahn in everything I've seen him in ever since "That Thing You Do".  I really liked his character.  The crazy middle aged woman was annoying, but her big speech about dating and  "exposing the core of the onion" was some pretty impressive writing.  The newly wed wife was 🔥🔥🔥.  

It's recommendable as a winter time binge watch when there's nothing else going on. 

If you are a fan of Val Kilmer , the new doc Val is great and on Prime Video.

I enjoyed this as well.  It was sad in parts, but also encouraging to see him pushing onward with his life.

I was surprised to be reminded that Top Gun was so early in his career.  My memory had me thinking it was a good 10 movies into his career.

Last edited by a moderator:

100 Foot Wave  (HBO Max)

As mentioned in my original post regarding this program, the cinematography is breathtakingly superb!  The entire series is a bit slow, but each episode is good to very good.  I enjoyed getting to hear from all the characters from this big wave community.  You really get to know them in a way that is enjoyable.  Some of the coverage of the wipe outs is remarkable.  One spoiler of sorts, the first episode in my opinion was by far the best.

It sucks you in right from the beginning.  Each episode has something happen to wet your appetite, but you keep waiting for something REALLY BIG to happen, and it just didn't.  At least not for me.  I've enjoyed watching Steve Zahn in everything I've seen him in ever since "That Thing You Do".  I really liked his character.  The crazy middle aged woman was annoying, but her big speech about dating and  "exposing the core of the onion" was some pretty impressive writing.  The newly wed wife was 🔥🔥🔥.  

It's recommendable as a winter time binge watch when there's nothing else going on. 
Yup, two I just finished. I'm an old surfer guy, just sup a bit when I get the chance now, so 100' Wave was a great watch for me. I even subscribe to a couple North Shore professional surfers vlogs. Seeing Garrett catch the first tube at Jaws again was really cool. I remember when it happened, but was unaware of the story behind it. You wouldn't believe what's been going on the past few years there. Not just trying to get tubed then staying ahead of the wash. They're doing tricks down the face of those 40- 50 foot waves, and a recent champ there did a 360 in the tube!

White Lotus was good. Could have been better. It seems every time I see a character.......

100 Foot Wave  (HBO Max)

100 ft wave is awesome.

I enjoyed Chasing Mavericks .... The based on movie of Jay Moriarty

I'm watching The Knick on Cinamax. It had a high Rotten Tomatoes score, so I figured give it a go. Early 20th century hospital drama. Thank god for the progress in health care. Just on ep4 but I'm in. 

Nine Perfect Strangers (Hulu) - a group of people check into a wellness resort with varying issues to resolve, with a dark undercurrent going on with the people that work there. Lots of great performances and some well known actors (Michael Shannon, Melissa McCarthy, Nicole Kidman, Regina Hall, Bobby Cannavale). I can see possible Emmy nominations. Wasn’t sure about this one in the beginning, but it gets gradually more intense. 4 episodes in so far, and I’m in for the long haul. 

Nine Perfect Strangers (Hulu) - a group of people check into a wellness resort with varying issues to resolve, with a dark undercurrent going on with the people that work there. Lots of great performances and some well known actors (Michael Shannon, Melissa McCarthy, Nicole Kidman, Regina Hall, Bobby Cannavale). I can see possible Emmy nominations. Wasn’t sure about this one in the beginning, but it gets gradually more intense. 4 episodes in so far, and I’m in for the long haul. 
Could get into it, seemed like some Thursday night ABC network drama 

People can bash White Lotus all they want, but Steve Zahn trying to get monkey sex was one of the funnier moments of TV this decade.

my brother liked this too...we just cancelled hulu...argh

Anybody watch the first 2 episodes of Reservation Dogs on Hulu? I kinda like it. 

it’s about a group of kids living on a reservation, some pretty good comedy. The little dudes on the bikes are gold. Oh, and William Knife-man.

also, it was created by Taika Waititi, and you can definitely see his influence. 
It’s good stuff 

Watched the Woodstock '99 doc last night.  Pretty good history refresher on just how messed up that festival was.  Both of the organizers were completely feckless and to this day, don't seem to understand how poorly they planned this thing out. Whole lot of angry white dudes who were made angrier and angrier by aggressive music, high temps, high priced bottled water, overflowing porta-potties, horrid conditions, drugs and booze.  Glad I missed out on this one....
Great show, thanks.

Man the music in the late 90s sucked hard. 

On 8/21/2021 at 8:33 AM, El Floppo said:
On 8/21/2021 at 7:12 AM, Sinn Fein said:
Binged The Chair on Netflix last night - 6, 30-minute episodes.

Comedy-Drama with Sandra Oh where she becomes the Chair of the English department at a Liberal Arts university - dealing with a variety of culture/woke issues. 

I liked it.  Its a little quirky, and took an interesting path to get to the end - and not what I was expecting.
Expand  
We watched the first ep last night. Great cast and a decent start...will definitely watch the rest.

Expand  
We're a few more in...good stuff.
frustrating, from a content, woke ramifications standpoint, but a nice show.

started The Crown this weekend

through 2 episodes. as others have said it's beautifully shot (the safari CGI notwithstanding) and i like history so i'm interested so far.

wife hates any show that doesn't involve vampires (does Philip check that box?), zombies, or complicated love hexagonals where groups of people have all dated/married/broken up with each other but are still forced to work/live/be friends with each other through some awkward and unexplainable set of circumstances.

this might be a slog

Been watching Marcella on Netflix lately.  In season 2 now.  Wife and I like it.

About the latest Ted Lasso episode, great episode...  also didn't expect it to be Sam...  (trying to be cryptic to not give spoilers)

Been watching Marcella on Netflix lately.  In season 2 now.  Wife and I like it.

About the latest Ted Lasso episode, great episode...  also didn't expect it to be Sam...  (trying to be cryptic to not give spoilers)
I never liked the actress in Marcella (and Peaky Blinders), so even though it was a decent enough story, I never liked it over all...but the wife was all in, so I watched it 

I never liked the actress in Marcella (and Peaky Blinders), so even though it was a decent enough story, I never liked it over all...but the wife was all in, so I watched it 
Wait, what?  I can't find Marcella (Anna Friel) in Peaky Blinders.  She is definitely not Aunt Polly (Helen McCrory).  

I watched the first episode of two new Netflix shows yesterday. I'll definitely watch the second of both to see how they go.

• Hit and Run - This first episode was quite entertaining. I really don't like watching things that are dubbed - it is just so off. But I think this show will eventually head to half in English or something - from what I've read. Anyway, of the two shows, this was definitely the better one. So I'm in for another episode or two at least.

• The Defeated - The first thing that you notice in this show is ... Riggins' Brooklyn accent. Its a little overwhelming. I think this show will be pretty blasé. Kind of a CBS cop procedural set in post-war Berlin. But I've got one more episode in me at least. Mostly because I'm a sucker for cop shows.

• Love
Reactions: SWC
Now that Netflix picked up a 4th season of Manifest, I’m considering watching it. Is it worth the commitment?
Wife and I enjoy it. Scratches the itch of the sci-fi, mystery genre we always enjoy. Happy that it is getting resolved,  season 3 ended on a massive mind-screw craziness. They said there was a 5 year plan (although there are definitely some Lost-esque story threads and characters that come in and out or then get dropped that made me question they really have a plan at times.)

Wife and I enjoy it. Scratches the itch of the sci-fi, mystery genre we always enjoy. Happy that it is getting resolved,  season 3 ended on a massive mind-screw craziness. They said there was a 5 year plan (although there are definitely some Lost-esque story threads and characters that come in and out or then get dropped that made me question they really have a plan at times.)

How many seasons were on network tv?  was it only 3?  Is the 4th just on Netflix?  

Now that Netflix picked up a 4th season of Manifest, I’m considering watching it. Is it worth the commitment?
It dragged a bit midway through season 2 .. But 3 hit some great moments with a finale that was :eek:  + :confused: ...

We were angry when NBC decided to cancel after such a great cliff hanger..

very happy to hear Netflix picked it up for what they say will be a 20 episode final season.. 

I watched the first episode of two new Netflix shows yesterday. I'll definitely watch the second of both to see how they go.

• Hit and Run - This first episode was quite entertaining. I really don't like watching things that are dubbed - it is just so off. But I think this show will eventually head to half in English or something - from what I've read. Anyway, of the two shows, this was definitely the better one. So I'm in for another episode or two at least.

• The Defeated - The first thing that you notice in this show is ... Riggins' Brooklyn accent. Its a little overwhelming. I think this show will be pretty blasé. Kind of a CBS cop procedural set in post-war Berlin. But I've got one more episode in me at least. Mostly because I'm a sucker for cop shows.
my lady and i loved both of these and they are totally bingeworthy take that to the bank brohans

Users who are viewing this thread