Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)


KCC

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, General Malaise said:


Can I start Better Call Saul without finishing Breaking Bad?

maybe you'll find it differently but we tried Better Call Saul and the first several episodes are an almost impossible slog. 

we bailed on it and i haven't regretted the decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

maybe you'll find it differently but we tried Better Call Saul and the first several episodes are an almost impossible slog. 

we bailed on it and i haven't regretted the decision.

Your face is an absolute slog

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

maybe you'll find it differently but we tried Better Call Saul and the first several episodes are an almost impossible slog. 

we bailed on it and i haven't regretted the decision.

Didn't really "click" with me, but loving BB as much as I did I stuck through the first few seasons. But admittedly, I was :yawn: most of the time.

But.... The last season Finally started paying off and looking forward to the next one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

really enjoyed watching See the last few days but now i’m pissed that i have to wait for Friday’s to finish out season 2.

wait...seriously?

 

I mean, I'm watching it..but it's just awful. I even started a thread for it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

wait...seriously?

 

I mean, I'm watching it..but it's just awful. I even started a thread for it. 

 

yeah, now that i’m on the cusp of 46 and i’ve gone from 20/20 to reading glasses and perfect hearing to blaring my tv this #### is interesting to me. i hate the main antagonist but the premise is fascinating to me and the cinematography and “loud sounds” are enjoyable  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

yeah, now that i’m on the cusp of 46 and i’ve gone from 20/20 to reading glasses and perfect hearing to blaring my tv this #### is interesting to me. i hate the main antagonist but the premise is fascinating to me and the cinematography and “loud sounds” are enjoyable  

the locations and world building are fantastic. bunch of blind peeps doing this ahit is silly.

the thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

enjoying the heck out of Mr Inbetween.  wife doesn't like it because she likes good guy, bad guy stuff.  Mr. Inbetween is well, kinda inbetween.

Oh, thanks for the heads up on this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this show has been mentioned, but I have to say it again after the latest episode:

"Reservation Dogs" is the best show this year, and in the 5 or 6 episodes I've seen, one of the best runs of a "family show" ever. The latest episode of the young girl hunting with her father was . . . just so xxxxing lovely. 

Edit: I meant the "Ride Along" episode. It may be a perfect 30 minutes of television. Just amazing. 

Edited by Sweet J
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sweet J said:

I know this show has been mentioned, but I have to say it again after the latest episode:

"Reservation Dogs" is the best show this year, and in the 5 or 6 episodes I've seen, one of the best runs of a "family show" ever. The latest episode of the young girl hunting with her father was . . . just so xxxxing lovely. 

Edit: I meant the "Ride Along" episode. It may be a perfect 30 minutes of television. Just amazing. 

it's getting universal love in here, so I'll give it another try. But I watched part of the first ep and was disinterested, tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

it's getting universal love in here, so I'll give it another try. But I watched part of the first ep and was disinterested, tbh.

Same. Just started it and not digging it through the first episode.

I'll keep going and give it a couple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

it's getting universal love in here, so I'll give it another try. But I watched part of the first ep and was disinterested, tbh.

 

First is ok, but it's pretty much just setting the table.

The second episode they spend the day at the Indian Health Service, and I think it's a gem. That's the one that really hooked me. It kind of reminded me of the episode of Atlanta where he and his buddies spend the day at the magistrate/jail.

The third episode was about getting together with a long lost uncle, and revolved around the gang and the uncle riding around town trying to find a buyer for the uncle's 20-year old weed that he had buried on his property and found. It was awesome. edit: Selling Weed Scene

The fourth episode was about one of the main kids (Bear), who's dad is a kind-of-loser rapper who got a gig to perform at a festival in town, and how everybody was all excited to see him come to town, and how the four friends were dealing with it, and how it went down. It was good and thoughtful, but probably my least favorite. The whole thing was a bit of a downer, but good nonetheless. 

The fifth episode centered on one of the girls and her dad going hunting for this elusive buck that they've been after. Much of it revolved around her and her father coming to terms with the young man who's dead. It's not clear if it's her brother or cousin (and by extension whether the dad is the boy's father or uncle). From my experience with my co-workers who are Native American, this is VERY accurate. They are constantly talking about their kids and grandkids, who really are nephews, nieces, and cousins. I can't keep up. Anyway, much of the episode revolves around how Daniel died, and the trauma and pain for the the father and sister (or uncle and cousin). But they also made it funny as heck. It also dips a toe into the supernatural. 

The sixth episode is all about one of the kids ("Cheese") wanting to go on a ride-along with the Tribal Cop ("Big"). This is the episode that I believe is the best 30 min of TV I've seen in the last year or two. They go into Big's history, and it's amazing. They get a lot of nuance in what it means to be tribal police, what it means to "do good" rather than simply "enforce the law." And it's got some hilarious interactions with Cheese. And some more awesome supernatural stuff that happened when Big was growing up. Just a perfect episode. If you are considering skipping the show, maybe jump to this episode, it's good as a stand alone. Frankly, they all are. But This episode and #2 are my favorites.  Trailer for this episode here: 

Episode 6 Trailer

Let me know if you end up giving it another shot. I'm curious if I'm an outlier. 

 

 

Edited by Sweet J
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, Sweet J said:

I know this show has been mentioned, but I have to say it again after the latest episode:

"Reservation Dogs" is the best show this year, and in the 5 or 6 episodes I've seen, one of the best runs of a "family show" ever. The latest episode of the young girl hunting with her father was . . . just so xxxxing lovely. 

Edit: I meant the "Ride Along" episode. It may be a perfect 30 minutes of television. Just amazing. 

Yeah this was an incredible episode. Love Zahn McClarnon, he kills it as Big (he was great in season 2 of Fargo as well).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

GF and I enjoying the Dr Death miniseries on Peacock  premium. Haven’t really seen a show like this before and hard to believe it is based on a true story.

Anyone else watching?

 

no because I cannot get Peacock on my firestick ...

what the hell kind of #### is that?  Why would Peacock do that?  

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

GF and I enjoying the Dr Death miniseries on Peacock  premium. Haven’t really seen a show like this before and hard to believe it is based on a true story.

Anyone else watching?

we watched a few...interesting story but something off- in the writing, direction, acting...something. haven't given up on it, but watching other stuff instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

 

no because I cannot get Peacock on my firestick ...

what the hell kind of #### is that?  Why would Peacock do that?  

Huh? I have Peacock on my Firestick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

 

I have had no success in doing so.  

Go to the Menu and then to the Applications button (3 squares and a +). On the Your Apps & Channels page, go to App Library and then it should be on that page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

 

just looked it up ...looks like it should be possible now.  We check back ...busy watching Arkansas KICK THE #### OUT OF THE LONGHORNS.

Yeah, it’s not a special way to load it like HBO Max used to be. It’s right in the App Library and I’m sure it’s in the search too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, shadrap said:

loving Mr. Inbetween!  full range of emotions from bust out laughing to some tears.  been awhile since that happened.

Thanx guys & gals for the recommendation.

I was binging it so hard, I had to intentionally stop watching to leave some for later and savor the last of it.

it's really so good. and like you, if not for the love in this thread I never would've watched it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wife and I have been watching Lovecraft Country....kind of a hot mess bouncing between campy b-movie sci-fi and a more cutting study of racial/racist horror. It's interesting enough though..oops. I see it's been cancelled.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

wife and I have been watching Lovecraft Country....kind of a hot mess bouncing between campy b-movie sci-fi and a more cutting study of racial/racist horror. It's interesting enough though..oops. I see it's been cancelled.

It was awful in the end. Ghastly awful and I enjoyed the take on race and discrimination. Those were the best parts. The rest went off the rails badly.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

There's a new season of AP Bio on Peacock. Haven't watched yet, but I like the previous seasons. 

I need to catch up on that. I watched it and liked it but somehow lost track of it or they went exclusively to Peacock. Not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, El Floppo said:

wife and I have been watching Lovecraft Country....kind of a hot mess bouncing between campy b-movie sci-fi and a more cutting study of racial/racist horror. It's interesting enough though..oops. I see it's been cancelled.

:goodposting: I remember asking Mrs. O if she would watch season 2. She emphatically said no. I was right there with her. It almost seemed like they blew all their plot highlights and there was nowhere else to go after that. No to mention the cast moved on to other series and Michael Kenneth Williams died. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wife and I are watching Manifest based on comments in this thread.  It does scratch the LOST/Fringe itch a bit, but man the writing is just eye-rollingly bad at times.  She's into it though so we'll continue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, facook said:

Wife and I are watching Manifest based on comments in this thread.  It does scratch the LOST/Fringe itch a bit, but man the writing is just eye-rollingly bad at times.  She's into it though so we'll continue.

Us too....Almost through S2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some updates/recs. Pay attention below to #4, Rake. Best show on this list for me after just 2 episodes.

1. Hit and Run -- Solid show that the wife and enjoyed a good bit. Went by quickly, decent twists and turns and overall done well. Great pick if looking for a new show and it's your cup of tea.

2. The Defeated -- Just finished this one. Another solid show. I think it was mentioned in here once. Some twisted stuff, loved the historical aspect of it. Also went by quickly and easy to get through. 

3. Reservation Dogs -- I'm mixed on this one. Binged it quickly myself as the wife wasn't interested after most of the first episode. I look back and I think I liked it but I also have a hard time saying why. It's different. There's some good stuff in there and it's got good depth. I'm glad I watched it but I wouldn't go out and recommend it for everyone. 

4. Rake -- I don't think anyone has mentioned this show yet. It's Australian and I'm done with 2 episodes. Holy cow, what a gem. This show is fantastic. Some hilariously great writing, good acting. This is on par with Mr In-between in terms of quality, IMO. First episode was really solid, but this second episode is pure gold. 100% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it's 5 seasons, came out in 2010. It's about a lawyer with bad habits (gambling, prostitution) and just so good. Highly, highly recommend.

5. Clickbait -- No. Got through about 3-4 episodes and just gave up. Annoying characters, just not that good. Don't waste your time.

6. Dr Death -- I got through 2 episodes. It's ok. Crazy story I never heard about but watching it just isn't that interesting to me when you know what happened early on. I'll go back and watch some more at some point but nothing that compelling for me.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

4. Rake -- I don't think anyone has mentioned this show yet. It's Australian and I'm done with 2 episodes. Holy cow, what a gem. This show is fantastic. Some hilariously great writing, good acting. This is on par with Mr In-between in terms of quality, IMO. First episode was really solid, but this second episode is pure gold. 100% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it's 5 seasons, came out in 2010. It's about a lawyer with bad habits (gambling, prostitution) and just so good. Highly, highly recommend.

It has been discussed in here.  Enjoyed all the seasons, but it gets a little weird later.  Aussie and UK shows all seem to be great, but so often we have to pause and make sure we understand their 'English'.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...