Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

KCC

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I don’t think they made it up, just didn’t end like people thought it would. I remember from day 1 they said they had the plan mapped out. If you remember there were filler episodes (the actors and the spiders) in I think season 3 and the show runners said that they didn’t want to do that anymore. They admitted that ABC made them make filler episodes to get to 24 per season. That’s when they said 3 more seasons, 16 episodes a piece. Abrams, Lindelof and Cuse have done a lot of other decent work so I tend to believe them that they had the end game in mind. Again, might not have been everyone’s favorite but I think making it up puts it in the same bucket as say Matrix 2 and 3, which were clearly, crap we made a lot what do we do next. We also didn’t have creative differences and change showrunners like TWD and watch it become meh. I loved the early stuff more than the ending but still liked it all.

totally. and fwiw, I'm sure they had the end planned early. it just felt like after the first couple seasons it went all over the place in ways that didn't always make sense... that's what I mean by making it up. felt like they had points A-L and then Y & Z well charted, with the rest the result of Eephus's D&D dice draft generating rolls.

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, PlayaHata said:

Another big thumbs up for Mr. Inbetween.  I've binged seasons 1 and 2 over the past week or so and just started on season 3.  Having the short 30-minute episodes makes it easy to get through quickly too, which is nice.  You can actually watch the entire 6-episode first season in a single day, which is actually the perfect way to jump into the series anyway.

I'm mad I burned through the 3 seasons last weekend.  luv that show & miss it.  gotta love the parts where he is in anger management class.  also his best friend in this series is a riot in his own way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris B. said:

I watched ep 1 & 2 last night based on the recommendations here. Does it get better?

I like it and will keep watching, but a few things don't sit right with me:

1. Are there no police in his town? He goes around beating and killing people and doesn't feel the need to wear a mask or lay low at any time?

2. I how does a guy like Ray get the paramedic girl? He's pretty ugly. 

Meh.  Any realism problems are made up for in the scene where he has to choke the chainsaw and pull it several times to get it to start, then feather the throttle to get it to run.  In every other show the chainsaw starts and runs with one pull.  This has NEVER happened.  

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t think they made it up, just didn’t end like people thought it would. I remember from day 1 they said they had the plan mapped out. If you remember there were filler episodes (the actors and the spiders) in I think season 3 and the show runners said that they didn’t want to do that anymore. They admitted that ABC made them make filler episodes to get to 24 per season. That’s when they said 3 more seasons, 16 episodes a piece. Abrams, Lindelof and Cuse have done a lot of other decent work so I tend to believe them that they had the end game in mind. Again, might not have been everyone’s favorite but I think making it up puts it in the same bucket as say Matrix 2 and 3, which were clearly, crap we made a lot what do we do next. We also didn’t have creative differences and change showrunners like TWD and watch it become meh. I loved the early stuff more than the ending but still liked it all.

There are some interesting articles out there in the last few years, while numerous “can’t reveal the name, but a friend of mine that worked on the show said…” are easy to dismiss, the most compelling is that apparently the original Lost series bible created at the beginning by Abrams and Lindlelof got leaked out and they actually did have “some” things planned out. But it was more of a very loose outline than a hard and fast plan and many things got changed or repurposed in other ways along the way.

One example is Sawyer’s character bio mentioned him having a romance that would soften him up and cause him to grow beyond a cynical con-man. Sounds familiar right? But in the original plan that was going to be Shannon, instead they did the love triangle with Kate & Jack, hooked Shannon up with Sayid, and eventually brought that plot thread back for Sawyer with Juliet. So while they weren’t lying that they had a “plan,” it morphed along the way and only bits and pieces of the final show resemble their original ideas. The biggest change being the smoke monster which plays directly into the divisive ending.

Abrams is still really popular but a lot of people have come to hate his “mystery box” style which comes from a Ted Talk he did where basically he loves creating mystery boxes for the audience because it draws them in. But he has no idea what’s actually in the box and ultimately it doesn’t matter for his purposes to tell a story. But that approach pisses people off too, especially on a show like Lost where the payoffs seemingly never came or were underwhelming when they did.

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Doesn't sound like the show for you. You should try The Walking Dead instead.

I mean, you edited your post and it's STILL grammatically F'd up.

Did you even read my post? No need to be a toxic turd. Geez, you internet trolls are bored.

1 minute ago, Chris B. said:

I mean, you edited your post and it's STILL grammatically F'd up.

Did you even read my post? No need to be a toxic turd. Geez, you internet trolls are bored.

Huh? First of all, not sure what the issue is grammatically, but ok.

Second, it was a joke. Toxic turd? It was more a dig at TWD not being realistic at all than anything aimed at you. Sorry you took it that way, wasn't meant against you at all.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:54 PM, El Floppo said:

wife and I have been watching Lovecraft Country....kind of a hot mess bouncing between campy b-movie sci-fi and a more cutting study of racial/racist horror. It's interesting enough though..oops. I see it's been cancelled.

I am pretty sure it was always marketed as a limited series,  like Watchmen was. Left it so they could have a season 2 but it likely was a 1 and done.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, shuke said:

Clickbait - I agree with others it got a little hokey and acting wasn't great, but I thought it was good enough and kept you guessing as a thriller.

Agree with you Shuke, not great but decent enough to keep me watching.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:18 AM, El Floppo said:

great googly moogly...the two dancing girls that are the curse of the daughter- my favorite creepy element to a show I can remember. :shock: :scared: :wub:

Those two were nothing short of nightmare inducing.

1 minute ago, drunken slob said:

Saw a trailer for the screen production of Asimov's, "Foundation"

Starts September 23rd on Apple+

Anybody going to check this out? 

looks pretty epic. Apple definitely put some money into this.

2 minutes ago, drunken slob said:

Funny... I thought there was a thread on it. 

Damn Skippy I'm watching that.

• Like 1

having read the books decades ago and forgotten everything about them i'm going to see this and be happy that my brain won't say "that wasn't as good as the books".

Edited by mr. furley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drunken slob said:

My favorite science fiction novel of all time...you better ####### believe it.

I hope they do it justice.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, PlayaHata said:

Another big thumbs up for Mr. Inbetween.  I've binged seasons 1 and 2 over the past week or so and just started on season 3.  Having the short 30-minute episodes makes it easy to get through quickly too, which is nice.  You can actually watch the entire 6-episode first season in a single day, which is actually the perfect way to jump into the series anyway.

It's amazing to me how you feel like you have exhausted all good shows and then you learn of something like Mr. Inbetween that has three seasons and is fantastic.

Great recommendation team FFA!

17 hours ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Squid Game popped into the top 10...gonzo looked Korean show. Seems kinda like Alice in Borderland, which was a good time. I'll give it a go for a few episodes. 

I saw that and will probably watch it. Loved Alice in Borderland. They did a good job of starting small and expanding the game and then the twist at the end (not surprising, but made you want to keep going). If you haven’t seen Tribes of Europa or The I-land, not quite the same genre but similar dystopian type stories. I feel like there was something more like Alice In Borderland but I keep remembering different challenges because again it felt like lots of mini-stories and then opened way up.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, mr. furley said:

having read the books decades ago and forgotten everything about them i'm going to see this and be happy that my brain won't say "that wasn't as good as the books".

Good luck stopping your brain from doing that. I haven’t read the books nor seen the show, but am extremely disappointed nonetheless with the screen versions failure to capture the book magic. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Ted Lasso cleaned up at the Emmy’s (not a surprise there.)

Coach Beard episode was beyond weird/experimental but in a good way. If he doesn’t win next year over Roy Kent, I’ll be surprised as Kent has had great material this year, but that whole episode ran the gamut of acting.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Buckna said:

Ted Lasso cleaned up at the Emmy’s (not a surprise there.)

Coach Beard episode was beyond weird/experimental but in a good way. If he doesn’t win next year over Roy Kent, I’ll be surprised as Kent has had great material this year, but that whole episode ran the gamut of acting.

I liked the change up episode a lot. That’s something I think Mythic Quest does well too. 

• Like 1

We've watched most of the first season of "Viking".  I like it.  Seems to have a "Game of Thrones" feel to it, but in a much different way obviously.   We're also started watching "Only Murders in the Building".  It's a nice break from all the blood and guts shows.  Steve Martin, Martin Short. and Selena Gomez work well together in this quirky comedy.  Plus, Gomez is nice to look at.

Edited by JohnnyU

Anyone heard of or seen a new series that shows a bunch of different stories about famous murder cases/trials?  Thought I saw it on Netflix but I can’t find it now.  Seemed like it had 8 or so episodes, each one covering a new case.  TIA.

Lasso - wtf was that Coach Beard episode?  I even liked the Christmas episode but don't like Coach Beard filler episode, don't like Ted having mental breakdowns, don't like Coach Nathan turning into a meanie.  Stop trying to be all dramatic and just give me more of the Led Tasso comedy stuff.

Mr. Inbetween - Ending was perfect, simple, to the point.  

4 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

We've watched most of the first season of "Viking".  I like it.  Seems to have a "Game of Thrones" feel to it, but in a much different way obviously.   We're also started watching "Only Murders in the Building".  It's a nice break from all the blood and guts shows.  Steve Martin, Martin Short. and Selena Gomez work well together in this quirky comedy.  Plus, Gomez is nice to look at.

Vikings is the ballz!  Ragnar one of my favorite characters in recent memory and Lagertha can get at me any day of the week.  Check out Last Kingdom on Netflix when done, similar story but fully fictional 

20 hours ago, tonydead said:

Lasso - wtf was that Coach Beard episode?  I even liked the Christmas episode but don't like Coach Beard filler episode, don't like Ted having mental breakdowns, don't like Coach Nathan turning into a meanie.  Stop trying to be all dramatic and just give me more of the Led Tasso comedy stuff.

Mr. Inbetween - Ending was perfect, simple, to the point.  

I was excited to watch the Beard episode based on what I read here. But when I watched it, my reaction was mostly . . . . meh. 

My complaint is that they seemed like they couldn't really commit to the concept 100%. Like they held a little back. If they were going to do something wacky, they should have really swung for the fences. I was expecting something a little more off the wall. Beard is a weird cat, they could have really explored the space there. (but still entertaining and better than most of the stuff on network TV, so I'll take it). 

Just finished Season 2 of Mr. Inbetween and loving it so far. How is the ONLY place I'm hearing about this show on the FBG FFA? It's CRIMINAL that this show isn't getting more love. Oh, and no spoilers for Season 3!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mile High said:

I'm pretty sure King Alfred his wife and children and their spouses weren't fictional 

Historical figures don’t make the story any less fictional…I suppose Vikings is similar, though it at least has source material from historical texts.

Either way, both are great shows and Katheryn Winnick/Lagertha is a smoke show

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, JohnnyU said:

We're also started watching "Only Murders in the Building".  It's a nice break from all the blood and guts shows.  Steve Martin, Martin Short. and Selena Gomez work well together in this quirky comedy.  Plus, Gomez is nice to look at.

Yup - we are fans of this as well.

3 hours ago, Sweet J said:

I was excited to watch the Beard episode based on what I read here. But when I watched it, my reaction was mostly . . . . meh. 

My complaint is that they seemed like they couldn't really commit to the concept 100%. Like they held a little back. If they were going to do something wacky, they should have really swung for the fences. I was expecting something a little more off the wall. Beard is a weird cat, they could have really explored the space there. (but still entertaining and better than most of the stuff on network TV, so I'll take it). 

Just finished Season 2 of Mr. Inbetween and loving it so far. How is the ONLY place I'm hearing about this show on the FBG FFA? It's CRIMINAL that this show isn't getting more love. Oh, and no spoilers for Season 3!

agree about both.

the Beard episode was also a bit too referential- kept hearing and seeing bits and pieces from movies and tv. and yeah- well said- could've and should've really gone further, especially considering the character.

and wasn't this the woman everybody thought was toxic for him? lumped into some grand romantic dada experiment? at least it wasn't more of the owner and the player romance... honestly don't care about that story line (although at least they stopped milking it with the DMs).

oh- just saw elsewhere that the owner actress is the SHAME SHAME SHAME GOT actress. probably old news, but new to me. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, belljr said:

Decided to give Hacks a shot after reading about jean smart...

Really liking it

I checked it out too after it beat Ted Lasso in several Emmy categories LOL.  I'm 4 episodes in and it's not bad, but I'm not loving it yet either.

7 minutes ago, PlayaHata said:
22 hours ago, belljr said:

Decided to give Hacks a shot after reading about jean smart...

Really liking it

I checked it out too after it beat Ted Lasso in several Emmy categories LOL.  I'm 4 episodes in and it's not bad, but I'm not loving it yet either.

We tried a couple episodes of Hacks a while back.

Agree- not bad (Smart is great) and something not quite connecting. I think it might be the lead younger actress/character... and I'm starting to notice this in a few shows with young 20s women characters- there's a humor and personality I genuinely am not getting, appreciating or even liking. I watched all of I May Destroy You, and thought it was pretty amazing- but came away feeling the same way. TBH, it's making me feel old. :( 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Agree- not bad (Smart is great) and something not quite connecting. I think it might be the lead younger actress/character... and I'm starting to notice this in a few shows with young 20s women characters- there's a humor and personality I genuinely am not getting, appreciating or even liking. I watched all of I May Destroy You, and thought it was pretty amazing- but came away feeling the same way. TBH, it's making me feel old. :( 

Hacks gets better as the season goes along, you should probably finish it out if you haven't. The episode where she gets her eyelids done was really good.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I think I mentioned this before in this thread (or maybe another thread?). This actress, Hannah Einbinder, is the daughter of Laraine Newman of the original SNL cast. She recently was a guest on the "Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend" podcast.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

Hacks gets better as the season goes along, you should probably finish it out if you haven't. The episode where she gets her eyelids done was really good.

Watched that episode last night and agree it was excellent!  🤣

• Like 1