What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

Finished first season of Legion, and may need some convincing to go on.

First episode was outstanding.  But then things seem to drag on, a lot of repetitiveness.  I'm still not sure I understand what the plot is supposed to be.  

Finished first season of Legion, and may need some convincing to go on.

First episode was outstanding.  But then things seem to drag on, a lot of repetitiveness.  I'm still not sure I understand what the plot is supposed to be.  
I really enjoyed certain parts of the first season, but I think I gave up pretty early on in season 2. There was just not enough good stuff to sustain all the weirdness. 

I really enjoyed certain parts of the first season, but I think I gave up pretty early on in season 2. There was just not enough good stuff to sustain all the weirdness. 
Yeah, it unraveled quickly and just seemed outlandish for the purpose of being outlandish and wasn’t worth watching. I liked the first season but I never came close to finishing season 2. 

Is the Apple TV box/device worth buying or is the Roku App sufficient?  There is a deal posted on SlickDeals for an Apple TV device for $79, normally $160 from Walmart.  Jumped on it, but not sure I really need it.  I don't have a sub for Apple TV yet.  

Is the Apple TV box/device worth buying or is the Roku App sufficient?  There is a deal posted on SlickDeals for an Apple TV device for $79, normally $160 from Walmart.  Jumped on it, but not sure I really need it.  I don't have a sub for Apple TV yet.  
I would never buy the Apple TV again. I have an old one because it was the only way to stream the movies you bought. We never buy movies anymore. Firesticks and Rokus are cheaper and have all the features and probably more and the Apple TV app.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably in the minority here, but one episode into Ted Lasso and I'm not sure I understand the buzz.  Wife liked it more than me so we'll stick with it as we need some comedy in our lives, but isn't this just the plot of Major League for soccer?  

I'm probably in the minority here, but one episode into Ted Lasso and I'm not sure I understand the buzz.  Wife liked it more than me so we'll stick with it as we need some comedy in our lives, but isn't this just the plot of Major League for soccer?  
Major League is considered a great comedy by both critics and fans.

:shrug:

FTR, I think it has several levels of sophistication greater than Major League.

1st season, or 2nd season?

1st season is all about the feels good.

2nd season, is, well, interesting.  I think it sets up one final, somewhat predictable, 3rd season.

1st season, or 2nd season?

1st season is all about the feels good.

2nd season, is, well, interesting.  I think it sets up one final, somewhat predictable, 3rd season.

I've got Season 1, Episode 1 under my belt.  Ready to be mistyfied!  

Plan is to alternate between Good Morning America and Ted Lasso now that we figured out how to use Apple TV.  Little drama, little comedy.  

That's what I thought after one episode. It really does morph into something special, if you can stick with it for another episode or two. That storyline goes away pretty quick.  I'm in the minority that thought the second season was even better than the first. 

Plan is to alternate between Good Morning America and Ted Lasso now that we figured out how to use Apple TV.  Little drama, little comedy.  
If you are talking about "The Morning Show," I absolutely love this show. I like that I can't really wholly love or hate any of the characters in it. Like Ted Lasso, I'm liking Season 2 even more than the first. 

If you are talking about "The Morning Show," I absolutely love this show. I like that I can't really wholly love or hate any of the characters in it. Like Ted Lasso, I'm liking Season 2 even more than the first. 
Yup, that's it.  The one with Reese Witherspoon, who I would watch in just about anything.  

I absolutely LOVED "Newsroom" and still watch the Jeff Daniels' scene from the first episode about American not being the greatest country anymore when I need inspiration.  Hoping this one is just a fraction as entertaining because I like this genre of drama. 

yeah- Ted Lasso is about non-cynical feel-goods more than "oh, what a brilliant plot". this isn't deep, dark comedy. and ftr- at first it grated on me... until I let the non-cynicism wash over me. I mean, the character was derived from NBC commercials for their soccer programming. the 2nd season follows a similar path, with more attempts at variation and going for it within certain episodes.

GMA was solid- not really my cuppa, but well done.

Wife and I both found For All Mankind to be a worthwhile watch. Alt-history take on the space race. it's got some male Right-Stuff stuff for you, and plenty of female empowerment for her... and you. 

That's what I thought after one episode. It really does morph into something special, if you can stick with it for another episode or two. That storyline goes away pretty quick.  I'm in the minority that thought the second season was even better than the first. 
I think the 2nd season added a lot of depth to all the main characters - I really loved the Coach Beard episode - but I do think it has set up a rather predictable final season.  (I am assuming its a final season, because if it goes where I think, there really isn't a season after that.)

I think the 2nd season added a lot of depth to all the main characters - I really loved the Coach Beard episode - but I do think it has set up a rather predictable final season.  (I am assuming its a final season, because if it goes where I think, there really isn't a season after that.)
If you are talking about the sports story predictable, sure. I can see it. But there are so many other great storylines to explore like, well, I guess I shouldn't go into it, because they haven't been discovered yet in early season 1. But where they go with Nate, with Rebecca, with Keely, with Roy Kent, even with Jaimie and Beard. And Roy's personal life. There a lot of loops to close. 

If you are talking about the sports story predictable, sure. I can see it. But there are so many other great storylines to explore like, well, I guess I shouldn't go into it, because they haven't been discovered yet in early season 1. But where they go with Nate, with Rebecca, with Keely, with Roy Kent, even with Jaimie and Beard. And Roy's personal life. There a lot of loops to close. 
Nate? You're interested in that character? The entire storyline is preposterous and his entire purpose appears to me to be to annoy the viewer. Won't be watching season 3 after the disaster that was season 2. Wouldn't have thought it possible that a show so good in year 1 could be so horrible in year 2.

I'm in the middle of s2, very dissapointing. Everyone being as happy and positive as Ted is too much. Christmas episode.....what was that

No - I think Ted leaves the team after the end of next season.

I would spoiler my thoughts but, spoiler function not so good.

Nate? You're interested in that character? The entire storyline is preposterous and his entire purpose appears to me to be to annoy the viewer. Won't be watching season 3 after the disaster that was season 2. Wouldn't have thought it possible that a show so good in year 1 could be so horrible in year 2.

Nate - great acting imo.

I don't find the story arc so preposterous, when you consider where he has been in life - never getting anyone's approval (dad/team), finally getting a taste of success, but not being able to handle it.

Love Keely's development, from club bimbo, to having a mentor, and proving to be pretty good at marketing/PR.

Roy - maybe a bit too much maturing, self-realization - but better than a 1-dimensional soccer player.

Coach Beard - :shrug:  - I loved his episode.  Enjoyed the trip through London

Ted and Dr. Sharon - loved that arc for both characters.

I could have done without the Sam/Rebekah storyline, but still good for a Cheers line.

Trent Crimm, he's Independent (maybe that was a stretch, but in real life there were rumors this happened at Spurs, when Mourinho was there - player anonymously went to paper, but reporter allegedly told Jose who the player was)

Im in the group that enjoyed season 1 for what it is, but could not make it through season 2. I tapped out after the Christmas episode. My wife liked the Morning Show. I thought For All Mankind was great, and also liked 1971. @El Floppo has a separate thread dedicated to the masterpiece known as See.

Im in the group that enjoyed season 1 for what it is, but could not make it through season 2. I tapped out after the Christmas episode. My wife liked the Morning Show. I thought For All Mankind was great, and also liked 1971. @El Floppo has a separate thread dedicated to the masterpiece known as See.

A buddy told me tonight that the creators had planned out a ten episode arc for season 2, but because it had gotten so successful, the Producers/Backers asked/demanded 12 episodes. Because they had didn't want to mess with the flow of the arc, they threw in a couple of "stand alone" episodes, one of which was the Christmas episode. If that's the case, they should have not included it in the "regular" season, and just had a one-off christmas special in December. But what do I know - I loved that episode. 

Funny - I thought the Nate turn had a lot of truth in it. People are weird. "Damaged" people are even weirder. And Nate's family/background/father was super effed up. I thought his speech railing against Ted had a lot of . . . . I don't know, realism to it. To the degree that people tell themselves all sorts of things that they need to believe. They way the whole thing played out was *almost* like a "villain origin story." I dug it. 

I didn't even make it to the Christmas episode before I had to tap out. I just found the little girl character that's the most emotionally intelligent and sophisticated person in the room to be to annoying.

Your thoughts aren’t spoilers unless you work for the show. Share them. 
Well it’s a little bit of a spoiler to this season, but I think ultimately Nate will struggle at West Ham, Ted will reach out to him, and eventually Nate will come back to Richmond a better man, and replace Ted as head coach at the end of the season. 

Ted either goes home, or rolls in the sack with Sassy. 

It took me three episodes to really get into it.  I thought the same thing at first, but definitely has a different feel.

I'm in the middle of s2, very dissapointing. Everyone being as happy and positive as Ted is too much. Christmas episode.....what was that
That was my favorite episode so far.  Just saw it the other day as we are working through S2.  Obviously not for everyone.

Funny - I thought the Nate turn had a lot of truth in it. People are weird. "Damaged" people are even weirder. And Nate's family/background/father was super effed up. I thought his speech railing against Ted had a lot of . . . . I don't know, realism to it. To the degree that people tell themselves all sorts of things that they need to believe. They way the whole thing played out was *almost* like a "villain origin story." I dug it. 
It felt like the heel turn was a bit too sudden, a bit too unearned, though they did try to build to it I don't think they gave it enough time.  I understand it's tough to do that in 12 half hour episodes when there are so many other characters and plot lines to develop. I really like the show overall, you have to understand it's a gosh, golly, gee-whiz kind of thing and just go with it - I find it a refreshing alternative to much of what's out there right now.

GMA was solid- not really my cuppa, but well done.
My wife's watching the Morning Show. I find it dreadful. I can handle a show where you're not really supposed to like any of the characters, but they're all so annoying, entitled, privileged, and running in an industry that isn't exactly one I'm inclined to have any base sympathy for its participants in the first place, I can't bring myself to care about what happens to any of them. Everyone's a selfish over the top ####### all the time - I've got no interest in paying attention to that.

Also, and this is coming from someone who thinks Deadwood may have been the best T.V. show of all time, the constant use of the F word is jarringly distracting. Maybe that's how people on the inside of that industry really talk, but I find it inartful dialog. Whereas Milch built vulgarity into this bizarre but compelling Shakespearean style of speaking, and also employed the use of vulgarity or lack thereof as insight into the history and nature of his characters, here it comes off as just extra agitation and noise which the characters/show already have plenty of. I know they're immature maladjusted jerks already, a constant barrage of ####s and ####s just beats things into the ground.

My wife's watching the Morning Show. I find it dreadful. I can handle a show where you're not really supposed to like any of the characters, but they're all so annoying, entitled, privileged, and running in an industry that isn't exactly one I'm inclined to have any base sympathy for its participants in the first place, I can't bring myself to care about what happens to any of them. Everyone's a selfish over the top ####### all the time - I've got no interest in paying attention to that.

Also, and this is coming from someone who thinks Deadwood may have been the best T.V. show of all time, the constant use of the F word is jarringly distracting. Maybe that's how people on the inside of that industry really talk, but I find it inartful dialog. Whereas Milch built vulgarity into this bizarre but compelling Shakespearean style of speaking, and also employed the use of vulgarity or lack thereof as insight into the history and nature of his characters, here it comes off as just extra agitation and noise which the characters/show already have plenty of. I know they're immature maladjusted jerks already, a constant barrage of ####s and ####s just beats things into the ground.
interesting.

I watched a few episodes of Succession during S1 and had similar feelings. Those type of people are my usual clients, but awful, awful versions of them. I want nothing to do with them or the show for my not-at-work enjoyment.

Sweet J said:
Even with Steve Carell, Jen Aniston, and Reece Witherspoon…Billy Crudup steals the show for me. 

I finally watched the Season 2 final of Ted Lasso. Wasn't expecting the ending. I mean I was for Richmond but didn't expect the cliff hanger of an ending. I did like It because there's only so many stories to tell and I thought the show needed another protagonist. Season 3 is gonna be real interesting. Gonna be interesting what comes of the team, new character for player, Nate's story, Trent and all of them. 

this show shocked me as I thought for sure when I saw previews this was just gonna be a comedy making fun of Soccer as only American Capitalism knows best. However it went the complete opposite. It adds the American Ignorance in spurts but makes fun of that ignorance in a well tie in to the show. 

El Floppo said:
interesting.

I watched a few episodes of Succession during S1 and had similar feelings. Those type of people are my usual clients, but awful, awful versions of them. I want nothing to do with them or the show for my not-at-work enjoyment.

Feel the same with my retail work and any show involving retail. I'd rather not watch that as my enjoyment when not working. Plus I'm always criticizing the shows in terms of certain things not being reality. I know some of these shows comedy wise are outlandish. Plus I laugh when they always miscast certain roles such as managers who's nice compared to the hard ### and the co worker who's your friend to the person you hate the most or most annoying. Then some of the dialogue to customers and I'm like "Yeah that would get any of us fired in retail in real life." Just aggravates me more than anything. 

Gr00vus said:

I actually know a few people in the media industry and yes it's how they really talk. You'd be surprised with the language or opinions some get in open range off set. My buddy is in the music scene has done a collaborator thing with Meek Mill and is friends with Tyrese Gibson and he produced and wrote the theme title track to Fox Show Empire. The stories I've heard of what people say in production and get away with among other things is a little frightening.  

Just finished Squid Game. Loved it but for the last 45 seconds of so. 
Agreed. Would have been fine with it if he had visited his daughter and maybe a quick shot of reuniting the mom and son (who we saw). Could have made him see the slapping game on his flight back. I hated that he never followed through first.

Agreed. Would have been fine with it if he had visited his daughter and maybe a quick shot of reuniting the mom and son (who we saw). Could have made him see the slapping game on his flight back. I hated that he never followed through first.
Yeah I didn’t take issue with his mopy actions post-game or the notion that he didn’t feel right spending the money directly on himself. I also thought the movie did a great job the first couple of episodes displaying how big of a loser he was. But as a father of three daughters it was frustrating not seeing some arc towards him becoming a better dad (hell, him giving away the money and just working an honest job to help support her would have been more satisfying). 

Even with Steve Carell, Jen Aniston, and Reece Witherspoon…Billy Crudup steals the show for me. 
Absolutely! He really nails it. And also, to address @Gr00vus, his character may be the only "redeeming" one in the show. Maybe not redeeming, per se, but I really like his character and his acting. 

Wu-Tang: An American Saga S2 is pretty great imo. Love the way they’re showing RZA working through his thought process 

Users who are viewing this thread