What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

Mulholland Dr. is worth it for a lot of reasons but for at least one scene all by itself.

No. Not that one.

The one where Naomi Watts' Betty Elms is auditioning. She's absolutely mesmerizing.

Watched "The Way of the Gun" the other day. Awesome
this is one of my favorite "under the radar" movies that most people have never seen. the action scenes are great, and the acting by the whole case is dynamite.another great thing about this movie is the sound. the sound engineers did a great job. if you have a good home theater system, turn up the shootout scene at the Mexican motel. I love the sound of the sniper rifle.

Let the Right One In...Swedish Vampire flick but not just gore, lot of story to it, pretty good flick.
Just saw this. "Pretty good flick" is about as big an understatement as I've seen on this board. With the sole exception of the cat thing, it's as close to perfect a film I've seen in a while. The actress who played Eli was phenomenal. And the cinematography was gorgeous in a completely bleak way.
Liked "our" version better, but this one was still good. :thumbup: *Let Me In was the American version of this film, starring the girl from Kick ####.

Watched "The Way of the Gun" the other day. Awesome
this is one of my favorite "under the radar" movies that most people have never seen. the action scenes are great, and the acting by the whole case is dynamite.another great thing about this movie is the sound. the sound engineers did a great job. if you have a good home theater system, turn up the shootout scene at the Mexican motel. I love the sound of the sniper rifle.
I saw a "making of" this movie once. They made a conscious decision to use "real" gunfire sounds in this movie. It's unlike typical movies where the guns are faked, silencers make no sound at all, etc. The gun sounds here are as close to real as you'll find in movie.

'gandalas said:
Let the Right One In...Swedish Vampire flick but not just gore, lot of story to it, pretty good flick.
Just saw this. "Pretty good flick" is about as big an understatement as I've seen on this board. With the sole exception of the cat thing, it's as close to perfect a film I've seen in a while. The actress who played Eli was phenomenal. And the cinematography was gorgeous in a completely bleak way.
Liked "our" version better, but this one was still good. :thumbup: *Let Me In was the American version of this film, starring the girl from Kick ####.
Interesting. I'll definitely have to give Let Me In a try, though I don't see much room for improvement.

'Maik Jeaunz said:
Starting "Friday Night Lights" and I am hooked. Does this mean I have a 16 year old girl hiding in there somewhere?
Nope. FNL is one of the greatest TV shows ever. Don't give up at the beginning of season 2.
:goodposting:
my wife and I started watching FNL on a whim, and now we're halfway through season 1 and we're totally hooked. the only one who can't act is Minka Kelly, but I can forgive her. :wub:
Finished the series the other day. I havent been this sad about coming to an end of a series since The Wire. CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS CANT LOSE!

Terriers was a fun, relatively good show that just had 1 season on FX in 2010-2011. It's on Netflix and I think that it's worth a watch. Donal Logue :thumbup:

Starting "Friday Night Lights" and I am hooked. Does this mean I have a 16 year old girl hiding in there somewhere?
Nope. FNL is one of the greatest TV shows ever. Don't give up at the beginning of season 2.
:goodposting:
my wife and I started watching FNL on a whim, and now we're halfway through season 1 and we're totally hooked. the only one who can't act is Minka Kelly, but I can forgive her. :wub:
Finished the series the other day. I havent been this sad about coming to an end of a series since The Wire. CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS CANT LOSE!
About 10 episodes in. Great melodrama. Maybe I'm a sucker but seems like every episode I'm getting chocked up. Fantastic job so far of not making the characters total caricatures. Just when you think a character like Buddy Garritty is a complete doosh they redeem him.Always figured it was a corny show. Never had a good time slot and always assummed it was just fodder.

The football storylines are fine but everything in the hospital was riveting. Especially the Olympic parapalegic.

The visual comparisons are obvious but Landry really reminds me of PSH. Kid has big-time career ahead of him.

Great looking cast. :thumbup:

Damages season 1 :thumbup:
Season 1 & 2 are solid. Just finished season 3. A bit underwhelmed. The cast of adversaries didn't measure up to the prior two seasons. Will probably finsish out the series eventually but not desperate to.Martin Short was very good in season three. Nice turn.

Interesting. I'll definitely have to give Let Me In a try, though I don't see much room for improvement.
Well, that's annoying. Not available on Netflix and only available for purchase on iTunes and Netflix. $13 or $14 to see a remake is too steep. I'll wait for it to come on cable.

Well, that's annoying. Not available on Netflix and only available for purchase on iTunes and Netflix. $13 or $14 to see a remake is too steep. I'll wait for it to come on cable.
I wouldn't bother. American version is not nearly as good.

Anyone watch Luther? British Crime Drama with Idris Elba (who won the Emmy for this miniseries). I just started the series, but man it's been great. Highly recommended.

Finished it - Awesome all around. Ruth Wilson is great in this show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't bother. American version is not nearly as good.
Agree

'Kenny Powers said:
Terriers was a fun, relatively good show that just had 1 season on FX in 2010-2011. It's on Netflix and I think that it's worth a watch. Donal Logue :thumbup:
Really like this show, it deserved another season, but the 1 season was wrapped up well enough where Id still recommend watching it.
Sounds a lot like Daybreak. Great, underrated show that only got 1 season, but wrapped up well enough at the end of that season to make it feel complete. It is also streaming on netflix.

Started watching Dr. Who. I'm not that into it so far.
I have debated starting this for years but where does one start?Seems like too much of a commitment.
Start with the revival series from 2006. There's only 13 episodes a season with some tv movies in between. Series (season) 1 is kind of clunky. Took me until about episode 6 with the reintroduction of the Daleks before I started to like it. And then the episode 9&10 two-parter that finally hooked me.

Undeclared - Apatow's follow up to Freaks and Geeks and stars many of the same players including a young Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy fame in a college setting. Only 17 episodes.

I have debated starting this for years but where does one start?Seems like too much of a commitment.
Start with the revival series from 2006. There's only 13 episodes a season with some tv movies in between. Series (season) 1 is kind of clunky. Took me until about episode 6 with the reintroduction of the Daleks before I started to like it. And then the episode 9&10 two-parter that finally hooked me.
I turned it off halfway through episode 2. So I should stick with it?

Age of Heroes

WWII movie made a few years ago. It's about a British commando raid on a Nazi radar station in Norway. Not too bad. If you're a fan of anything WWII, this might be a decent film for you, although I wasn't happy with the ending as it felt very rushed.

3/5

Thinking of ditching Netflix and just joining Amazon Prime, which gets you Amazon's version of watch instantly plus all of the other stuff associated with Prime. Anyone else done this? How does Amazon's selection compare to Netflix?

Thinking of ditching Netflix and just joining Amazon Prime, which gets you an Amazon's version of watch instantly plus all of the other stuff associated with Prime. Anyone else done this? How does Amazon's selection compare to Netflix?
Better selection on Movies, but Netflix has a better choice of TV shows

Seems to be a whole lot less movies streaming than the last time i've really went looking through the selection (before football season), did they decrease the selection or something?

Also.. anyone watch Insidious? thinking about trying it out tonight, but im always weary of PG-13 horror flicks.

Seems to be a whole lot less movies streaming than the last time i've really went looking through the selection (before football season), did they decrease the selection or something? Also.. anyone watch Insidious? thinking about trying it out tonight, but im always weary of PG-13 horror flicks.
Watched it last week. It was okay, more spooky than scary and while the end sequence is kind of cool the spooky factor has worn off by that point. I actually thought it was rated R but that makes sense because it definitely felt like a PG-13.Ive been looking on Netflix for horrors and supernatural thrillers on there for a week or so, and the pickings are pretty slim (or at least based on what I havent seen). A couple I watched last week, that while not great or particularly scary but were decent were The Tall Man and The New Daughter. Id rate them around the 2.5/5 ballpark only but I thought they were better than Insidious probably.ETA: I remember seeing House of the Devil is back streaming. Watched that last year around this time and thought it was good.

Burma VJ: 5 stars "Filmmaker Anders Østergaard's Oscar-nominated documentary profiles the courageous efforts of a renegade band of Burmese reporters (aka the Burma VJs) who -- in the face of a repressive regime and media censorship -- refuse to be silenced."

Cool It: 5 stars "A provocative voice vilified by pundits on both ends of the political spectrum, Bjørn Lomborg challenges prevailing ideas on climate change and explores scientific and technological advances that may help avert a global warming crisis."

Lynching Charlie Lynch: 4 stars "This documentary explores the rift between state and federal laws regarding medical marijuana, following the story of a man who even called the DEA before opening his California dispensary -- but still wound up convicted on federal charges."

Houston, We Have a Problem: 4 stars "Taking viewers inside America's oil industry, this documentary from director Nicole Torre goes straight to the source to get the skinny on the global energy crisis and the voracious American appetite for oil that's fueling it."

Can't recommend Cool It enough.

A few to avoid:

National Geographic: Six Degrees Could Change the World

The Yes Men Fix the World

Payback

IDK, sounds like you didn't like it at all then. I can't imagine only giving a tv show 1.5 episodes before completely giving up on it.But then again, I guess there are many new shows I don't even bother trying to watch because the previews on tv tell me they are terrible or the premise is something I wouldn't be interested in. :shrug:

IDK, sounds like you didn't like it at all then. I can't imagine only giving a tv show 1.5 episodes before completely giving up on it.But then again, I guess there are many new shows I don't even bother trying to watch because the previews on tv tell me they are terrible or the premise is something I wouldn't be interested in. :shrug:
I watched through all of season 1 and the first episode of season 2 before giving up. There were parts I liked, I just couldn't get into it as a whole. I'm normally a sucker for anything sci-fi too.
Seems to be a whole lot less movies streaming than the last time i've really went looking through the selection (before football season), did they decrease the selection or something?
Yes, they've added a ton of stuff recently.

I bailed on Revolution after the pilot.

Watched the first 2/3's of Who Is Harry Nilsson?, which was great. Flipped it off when it just devolved into hangers-on stories about what a "wild and crazy guy" he was, and his music inevitably went into decline.

Grave Encounters

Directed By: The Vicious Brothers

Lance Preston and the crew of "Grave Encounters", a ghost-hunting reality television show, are shooting an episode inside the abandoned Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital, where unexplained phenomena has been reported for years. All in the name of good television, they voluntarily lock themselves inside the building for the night and begin a paranormal investigation, capturing everything on camera. They quickly realize that the building is more than just haunted - it is alive - and it has no intention of ever letting them leave. They find themselves lost in a labyrinth maze of endless hallways and corridors, terrorized by the ghosts of the former patients. -- © Official Site

13 Assassians

To stop a tyrant from murdering and exploiting innocent civilians, 13 samurai warriors unite and prepare to end his life. But to kill the evildoer, the assassins must contend with an army of deadly bodyguards who outnumber them by a wide margin. Directed by acclaimed and prolific Japanese filmmaker Takashi Miike, this action-packed samurai remake features Yusuke Iseya, Koji Yakusho, Takayuki Yamada and Tsuyoshi Ihara.

:thumbup:

Act of Valor is listed (not sure if mentioned here).

I've been wanting to watch it......decent flick, reviews are spot on with the acting taking a bit away but overall enjoyed it.

If you are into cheesy zombie movies or just cheese, I highly recommend Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. Laughably bad, really bad historical content (Stonewall Jackson, John Wilkes Boothe, Pat Garret and a young Teddy Roosevelt show up to help Lincoln :boxing: Zombies)and crappy CGI but it is worth it the first time Lincoln whips out his switchblade Scythe. And to watch Stonewall Jackson's beard shrink and lengthen.

Most of the acting is awful, though the guy who played Lincoln does a decent job.

And when he whips out his scythe and screams "Emancipate This!" as he wacks off the head of a zombie, I was :lmao: :lmao:

And it told us the REAL reason Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln in the head, though I won't reveal that

Users who are viewing this thread