What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danieal Manning to lose his starting job (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
Danieal Manning is expected to be relegated to nickel duties while Kevin Payne takes over his job. Somebody please help me understand this. According to Lovie, Manning is the most athletic guy on the team. He has been outstanding on defense (in fact, is the #2 DB in our league behind Woodson).

Bears FS Danieal Manning is expected to lose his starting job to Kevin Payne this week.

The injury-prone Payne surprisingly lost the job to Manning one week into the season. He's an upgrade against the run, though Manning is superior in pass coverage. Manning is expected to move into the nickel back role while seeing increased special teams duties.

Is he IDP startable anymore??

Danieal Manning is expected to be relegated to nickel duties while Kevin Payne takes over his job. Somebody please help me understand this. According to Lovie, Manning is the most athletic guy on the team. He has been outstanding on defense (in fact, is the #2 DB in our league behind Woodson).

Bears FS Danieal Manning is expected to lose his starting job to Kevin Payne this week.

The injury-prone Payne surprisingly lost the job to Manning one week into the season. He's an upgrade against the run, though Manning is superior in pass coverage. Manning is expected to move into the nickel back role while seeing increased special teams duties.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. His stats have slipped the past 2 weeks, guess they were already phasing him out a bit.No, I don't see how he is IDP startable anymore.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. His stats have slipped the past 2 weeks, guess they were already phasing him out a bit.No, I don't see how he is IDP startable anymore.
he played an incredible 94 snaps in his usual role against the vikings --- that's about a game and a half.

he played an incredible 94 snaps in his usual role against the vikings --- that's about a game and a half.
And he only produced 2 tackles and 1 assist? Wow.Where do you get snap count info?

Johnny Knox KR duties are going away most likely.

Jayrod said:

OK, now I don't know whether to bench him or not (we get points for return yardage). I suppose it is not really likely that STL scores a lot

Jayrod said:

i kinda take it as he'll see more kickoff and punt coverage responsibilities. i suspect that the split duties on KO return of manning/knox will continue. Knox is way to explosive a returner to completely taken off

still a starter on FBG's depth chart.
Manning is playing Nickel instead of Safety this week. Probably because he's small and can't tackle....and S-Jax would run over him all day. He's not a viable fantasy option. Payne is playing SS this week, so he's probably the best option of the Bears safeties.As the Bears prepared for the Rams on Sunday, they did so with yet another new safety combination. This time, it will be Al Afalava at free safety and Kevin Payne at strong.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,7835827.column

Dodds and Norton still have him ranked very high in the FBG's subscriber content rankings.

Jene, have these been updated in light of the news about Payne starting?

kapp said:
editor47 said:
Manning is playing Nickel instead of Safety this week. Probably because he's small and can't tackle....and S-Jax would run over him all day. He's not a viable fantasy option. Payne is playing SS this week, so he's probably the best option of the Bears safeties.As the Bears prepared for the Rams on Sunday, they did so with yet another new safety combination. This time, it will be Al Afalava at free safety and Kevin Payne at strong.

Didn't they start the year with Payne as FS and Afalava as SS?

Maroney=Sped said:
Dodds and Norton still have him ranked very high in the FBG's subscriber content rankings. Jene, have these been updated in light of the news about Payne starting?
good question

kapp said:
editor47 said:

Didn't they start the year with Payne as FS and Afalava as SS?
Yes they did but multiple people were hurt at the time and the consensus was that D>Manning would take over at FS once he was healthy, and that K. Payne/Afalava would share at SS. Which did happen. Bottom line: Never trust Bear safeties through a whole season! I thought Manning was considered to be performing very well in an NFL sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I should have sat him but, he was ranked so high this week that I just could not do it.

Is Manning's value basically dead for the rest of the season now?
Yes. If Payne remains the starter. Payne 7/1. Manning 0/1. And Manning didn't get all the KO returns, either.Of course, that game might have been just a ploy...

Bears safeties and Broncos running backs.....I should know better by now.

The situations have just been to unpredictable to feel much confidence in rostering any of them yet I continue to do it.

We all see Payne's numbers, but how did he actually play? Has Lovie commented on that?

Also, how much nickel did the Bears run yesterday?

I don't know how much they played vs stl, but when they play gb I'd imagine it will be a fair bit, and gb should give them plenty of kicks to return.

I don't know how much they played vs stl, but when they play gb I'd imagine it will be a fair bit, and gb should give them plenty of kicks to return.
Problem is, its looking more like a KRBC in Chicago with Knox, Manning, and some other dude sharing duties. :thumbup:

The KR stuff is nice but a separate issue fundamentally for someone like me who evaluates Manning strictly as a safety. I would only get points from him in my leagues if he takes it to the house, so I don't even evaluate that - I just treat it as a lottery win if it happens. That's why I'm trying to get more insight as to how they're using him on defense.

I've got a decimated LB corps such that I've now got to consider using my third safety (Manning or M. Williams) as a defensive flex in the playoffs, so this is pretty important for me.

The KR stuff is nice but a separate issue fundamentally for someone like me who evaluates Manning strictly as a safety. I would only get points from him in my leagues if he takes it to the house, so I don't even evaluate that - I just treat it as a lottery win if it happens. That's why I'm trying to get more insight as to how they're using him on defense. I've got a decimated LB corps such that I've now got to consider using my third safety (Manning or M. Williams) as a defensive flex in the playoffs, so this is pretty important for me.
I think all DBs should score well against GB. I don't have any stats, but gut says GB will throw a lot, leading to tackle opportunities, and a lot of nickle coverage.

The KR stuff is nice but a separate issue fundamentally for someone like me who evaluates Manning strictly as a safety. I would only get points from him in my leagues if he takes it to the house, so I don't even evaluate that - I just treat it as a lottery win if it happens. That's why I'm trying to get more insight as to how they're using him on defense. I've got a decimated LB corps such that I've now got to consider using my third safety (Manning or M. Williams) as a defensive flex in the playoffs, so this is pretty important for me.
I think his demotion is from poor tackling. I don't know if it's a trend, or just a one-time penalty (or ploy to motivate) for missing some tackles in a recent game. I don't remember what game it was (vs. Minnesota or Philadelphia) but I remember watching NFL.com videos (might have been a matchup preview, x and o's kind of thing) and Manning blew an open field tackle near the line of scrimmage and it went for a large gain. Again, I don't know if it's due to that one miss tackle or from a trend of bad performance.Everything I've seen and read has been this guy is quick, has good instincts and is a good tackler. Homers might have a better idea of what's going on. Right now he's on my bench with Josh Wilson and Webb starting over him. I don't think I'd start Manning until it's clear he has his full-time snaps at safety.

Reading back over the thread, I'm not sure it's clear whether this demotion was just for one game or the rest of the season??

Ozymandias said:
Reading back over the thread, I'm not sure it's clear whether this demotion was just for one game or the rest of the season??
Nothing about this on the Chicago blogs?Homers chime in...
I just scrolled through Brad Biggs' blog and saw no update on the Manning demotion. Not sure if it is in effect going forward or not.

At this point, unless you're talking a DEEP league I don't see how Manning's worth a roster spot, much less starting consideration. Gotta be someone on the WW that's gonna see more opps.

That said, it's Lovie Smith and safeties, so come Monday morning all that could 180...again.

This week no chance in h**l I'd start him, and if there was anything worth getting off the wire I'd dump him outright.

Users who are viewing this thread