What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Decade’s Best NFL Mock Draft — Pick by Pick (1 Viewer)

MaddHatter

Footballguy
The Decade’s Best NFL Mock Draft — Pick by Pick

1. DE Mario Williams, Houston Texans (North Carolina State — 2006)

Quite frankly, this decade has been rough on those selected first overall. The final candidates for this were Williams, Eli Manning, and Carson Palmer. A strong case can be made for Eli Manning since he did the unthinkable by leading the Giants to a Super Bowl win over then-undefeated New England but as far as I am concerned, Mario Williams has been the best player selected first overall this decade. 34 sacks in the last three years. Hard to argue against that.

2. DE Julius Peppers, Carolina Panthers (North Carolina — 2002)

He has reached the double-digit sack plateau in six of his eight seasons. A go-getter from the jump, Peppers, a former hoops star at UNC, recorded 12 sacks his rookie season. He also has forced 30 fumbles since 2002 as well.

3. WR Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals (Pittsburgh — 2004)

A strong case can be made for Houston Texans’ wide receiver Andre Johnson, who was drafted out of Miami the year before at third overall. The deciding factor to go with Fitzgerald over Johnson was Fitzgerald’s performance in last year’s Super Bowl.

4. QB Philip Rivers, New York Giants (North Carolina State — 2004)

Immediately after being drafted, Rivers was sent to San Diego where he immediately pushed Drew Brees out of town. The results have been good thus far. San Diego is usually a contender in the AFC and Rivers’ arrogance has turned him into a swaggerific icon. As long as he continues to win, his swagger will cause no harm to those around him.

5. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers (Texas Christian — 2001)

He was good. Still is good. Tomlinson only became one of the greatest running backs in NFL history. He accomplished a feat of eight straight seasons with 1,000-plus yards.

6. DE/DT Richard Seymour, New England Patriots (Georgia — 2001)

He only became the anchor of a defensive line to win three Super Bowl trophies. Seymour is one of the greatest defensive linemen to play the game.

7. OT Bryant McKinnie, Minnesota Vikings (Miami — 2002)

This could go to another Minnesota Viking, running back Adrian Peterson. The fact of the matter is that Peterson may not be as good as he is if the Vikes never drafted McKinnie five years prior. McKinnie has anchored the offensive line since half way through his rookie season, giving this franchise one of the best offensive lines in the NFL over the last decade.

8. OT Jordan Gross, Carolina Panthers (Utah — 2003)

Another one of those tackles that has produced since he was released from the gate. Gross is vastly underrated in an era where dependable left tackles have become a top priority on draft day.

9. LB Brian Urlacher, Chicago Bears (New Mexico — 2000)

This one could easily go to Minnesota Vikings DT Kevin Williams but Urlacher has become a face of the NFL. Despite never winning a Super Bowl, he has one of the highest selling jerseys and is constantly selected to play in the Pro Bowl.

10. LB Terrell Suggs, Baltimore Ravens (Arizona State — 2003)

He has 56 sacks since being drafted in 2003. Suggs was a key part of the Ravens defense which dominated the AFC North as well.

11. LB Patrick Willis, San Francisco 49ers (Ole Miss — 2007)

Ben Roethlisberger, Dwight Freeney, DeMarcus Ware or Pat Willis? Flip a coin and you will be right four times. I went with Willis though because he is the second coming of Ray Lewis. No middle linebacker has dominated since day one like Willis has since Ray Lewis himself.

12. OT Ryan Clady, Denver Broncos (Boise State — 2008)

This guy went from being a Bronco on Saturday’s to playing as one on Sunday’s. He is the next great offensive lineman to play for that organization in Denver. He has yet to miss a start in his young career and I don’t think anyone would have objected if he was named as the offensive rookie of the year in 2008.

13. LB/DE John Abraham, New York Jets (South Carolina — 2000)

Since day one, Abraham has been someone opponents would have to key in on. You can never misplace him on the football field as he will piledrive your passer right into the turf. He is now doing it for the Falcons.

14. CB Darrelle Revis, New York Jets (Pittsburgh — 2007)

Arguably the best shut-down corner in the league in an era where the shut-down corner is supposed to be extinct.

15. LB Brian Cushing, Houston Texans (Southern Cal — 2009)

The only other option here would be Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth only played to the level Cushing has in his rookie year when backed against a contract year (or franchise tag). While Cushing is a reach for being the best pick at No. 15 for this decade, aside from the topsy-turvy Haynesworth, who would you have chosen, Rod Gardner?

16. S Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers (Southern Cal — 2003)

He has transformed the free safety position. A sure-thing Hall of Famer whenever his road ends, Polamalu is one of the best draft picks of the decade overall, not just at No. 16 overall.

17. OG Steve Hutchinson, Seattle Seahawks (Michigan — 2001)

Look, another hall of famer on this list. His new contract with Minnesota a few years’ back introduced the poison pill clause to all of the nation, just to show how valuable he is. Hutchinson paved the way for then-record setting RB Shaun Alexander and is now doing it for Adrian Peterson.

18. QB Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens (Delaware — 2008)

Not much to choose from the No. 18 spot. Leon Hall, maybe. Will Smith, possibly. At the end of the day, Joe Flacco, as a rookie, led the Ravens to a great season in 2008 and has them in position to make the playoffs again in 2009.

19. RB Shaun Alexander, Seattle Seahawks (Alabama — 2000)

This was close between him and Chargers’ CB Antonio Cromartie. We can’t let someone who defined the running back position, alongside LaDainian Tomlinson, off of this list though. He was great when his legs were still under him.

20. DE Tamba Hali, Kansas City Chiefs (Penn State — 2006)

It was between Hali and Marcus Spears. This weak group at No. 20 was making me cringe. Still, I had to roll with Hali because his sack totals are far greater than Spears.

21. NT Vince Wilfork, New England Patriots (Miami — 2004)

Another key piece to a defense that has dominated this decade. Wilfork is a staple among nose tackles in the 3-4 and may be the best in the league.

22. WR Percy Harvin, Minnesota Vikings (Florida — 2009)

Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman? This group is bad too. Had to go with the new casanova out of Minnesota. Percy Harvin is helping transform the wide receiver position with his excellent running skills and blazing speed. He single-handedly crushed the Florida WR draft curse.

23. RB Deuce McAllister, New Orleans Saints (Ole Miss — 2001)

He may not be a sexy candidate for this selection but when he was healthy, Deuce McAllister was one of the best rushers in the NFL. His career is not Hall of Fame-worthy but it is mentionable among the decade’s best running backs.

24. S Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens (Miami — 2002)

No, Willie Middlebrooks doesn’t get this honor. I remember watching him, as a ‘Canes fan sitting in the unfriendly confines of Beaver Stadium, scare the bejesus out of Penn State’s offense. He will go down as one of the best safeties ever.

25. LB Jon Beason, Carolina Panthers (Miami — 2007)

321 tackles in three seasons. Need I say more?

26. CB Lito Sheppard, Philadelphia Eagles (Florida — 2002)

Lito Sheppard made it to the Pro Bowl. He was a starter for the Philadelphia Eagles defense from 2002-2007 and played nickel in 2008. He was instrumental for the Eagles’ franchise during the run as the NFC’s best team that couldn’t make it to the Super Bowl (but once).

27. WR Roddy White, Atlanta Falcons (Alabama-Birmingham — 2005)

He didn’t make a big splash from the jump but he has turned himself into one of the best wide receivers in the league, compiling three straight seasons of 1,000-yards or more.

28. DE Luis Castillo, San Diego Chargers (Northwestern — 2005)

He has been a model of consistency in the Bolts’ 3-4 scheme since being drafted. None of his numbers are eye-popping but the fact of the matter is that he is the best 28th pick overall this decade.

29. LB Nick Barnett, Green Bay Packers (Oregon State — 2003)

When healthy, Barnett is a tackling machine. He adapted well this past year transitioning from the 4-3 to the 3-4 too.

30. LB Keith Bullock, Tennessee Titans (Syracuse — 2000)

While Reggie Wayne was a close second, and I mean close, I have to respect the fact that Tennessee has had a good defense for the majority of the decade and a lot of that had to do with Bullock as the captain of the middle.

31. CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders (California — 2003)

The ideal cornerback to have in terms of coverage skills and smarts. Regarded by many to be the best this decade has seen too. This is back when Al Davis knew what he was doing… somewhat.

32. OG Logan Mankins, New England Patriots (Fresno State — 2005)

This wasn’t a first round pick until 2002, after the Houston Texans joined the NFL. Mankins has not missed a start since being drafted in ‘05, a consecutive starts streak that spans 79 games.

hate the giants, but i'm going with eli over mario. winning a super bowl vs. not having a winning season (yet).

i'll go with carson palmer over williams, too. helped turn that franchise around.

nice overall but who were the other 9 options with Clady and Cushing? Nice players but a bit early perhaps, unless there's not much other options.

McKinnie over AD?? Nope.
This is the first and most obvious gaffe that I noticed. McKinnie has been known as a pass protector more so than a run blocker.
McKinnie is one of the most overrated tackles for the last few years. Anyone who watches Vikings games, will tell you, he is average to slightly above average at best.
I honestly think that McKinnie is a good OT, but to say that he is a better pick than Peterson is just silly. (I guess if you factor in the Vikings not getting Ryan Sims and ending up with McKinnie, then it is a great pick, but that is for another thread.)

Last edited by a moderator:

No, Willie Middlebrooks doesn’t get this honor. I remember watching him, as a ‘Canes fan sitting in the unfriendly confines of Beaver Stadium, scare the bejesus out of Penn State’s offense. He will go down as one of the best safeties ever.
Can't quibble with Reed, but I think Aaron Rodgers (#24 in 2005 draft) could be in the discussion within a year or two if he continues his current production, mostly just due to the value of a QB as compared to safety. Re-draft this class today and Rodgers goes #1.

Can't quibble with Reed, but I think Aaron Rodgers (#24 in 2005 draft) could be in the discussion within a year or two if he continues his current production, mostly just due to the value of a QB as compared to safety. Re-draft this class today and Rodgers goes #1.
Chris Johnson has to get consideration here.

Johnson and Rodgers are having GREAT seasons, but Reed is a HOF'er, don't think you can put those two over him.

Johnson and Rodgers are having GREAT seasons, but Reed is a HOF'er, don't think you can put those two over him.
i can never get too excited over reed because he was never the best safety in the league IMO. that honor goes to brian dawkins.

i can never get too excited over reed because he was never the best safety in the league IMO. that honor goes to brian dawkins.
He's one of the best safeties of all time, just happens to have played at the same time as two other greats - Dawkins and Polamalu.

Son, Chris Johnson is about to have the most yards from scrimmage EVER by a running back. Come on son.

This was my thinking. I think Ed Reed is fantastic, but to not mention Rodgers or CJ is a little odd.

This was my thinking. I think Ed Reed is fantastic, but to not mention Rodgers or CJ is a little odd.
Ed Reed is a HOFer. Dawkins isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread