Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2010: Twenty Ten or Two Thousand Ten?

Buckfast 1

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How will you say pronounce the new year, 2010?

I hadn't really thought about it until I came across this website titled Twenty Not 2000.

They argue that everyone should pronounce 2010 as "twenty ten" rather than "two thousand and ten" or "two thousand ten."

Say the year "1810" out loud. Now say the year "1999" out loud. See a pattern? It's been easier, faster, and shorter to say years this way for every decade (except for the one that just ended) instead of saying the number the long way. However, many people are carrying the way they said years from last decade over to this decade as a bad habit. If we don't fix this now, we'll be stuck saying years the long way for the next 89 years. Don't let that happen!

I think it makes sense. What do you think?

Eventually we'll switch to Twenty-XXX instead of Two Thousand-XXX but it won't be this year. I'll bet on 2013.

This.For some reason, Two Thousand Eleven sounds OK, but Two Thousand Thirteen just takes too long to say. I think we make the transition at this point.

Eventually we'll switch to Twenty-XXX instead of Two Thousand-XXX but it won't be this year. I'll bet on 2013.

This.For some reason, Two Thousand Eleven sounds OK, but Two Thousand Thirteen just takes too long to say. I think we make the transition at this point.
:popcorn: This was exemplified by the release of "2012" earlier this year. No one knew what to do with themselves.The first three (yes, three) years of the decade are a transitional period. 2013 is when the switch will be made wholesale.Although now that I think about it, "Twenty Seventeen" sounds weird...

1908 was always nineteen-oh-eight, not one thousand-nine hundred-eight, not nineteen hundred and eight. 2008 was two thousand-eight, not twenty-oh-eight. Now it seems that 2010 will be twenty-ten. :unsure:

I believe that most folks at the time refered to it as "ought eight", Sonny.

Say the year "1810" out loud. Now say the year "1999" out loud. See a pattern?!

Say the year "2008" out loud. Now say the year "2009" out loud. See a pattern?
"Two Hundred Eight""Two Hundred Nine"we're counting by ones?

1908 was always nineteen-oh-eight, not one thousand-nine hundred-eight, not nineteen hundred and eight. 2008 was two thousand-eight, not twenty-oh-eight. Now it seems that 2010 will be twenty-ten. :goodposting:

I believe that most folks at the time refered to it as "ought eight", Sonny.
People were barbarians back then.

The only reason we're referring to 2010 as a new decade is because of our modern-age fascination with labelling things. "The 70's" couldn't possibly include the year 1980 for labelling purposes, but in reality, 1980 is part of the decade 1971 to 1980.

Pretty sure that people a hundred years ago didn't refer to decades as such. This is a fairly recent development in human history.

The only reason we're referring to 2010 as a new decade is because of our modern-age fascination with labelling things. "The 70's" couldn't possibly include the year 1980 for labelling purposes, but in reality, 1980 is part of the decade 1971 to 1980.

Pretty sure that people a hundred years ago didn't refer to decades as such. This is a fairly recent development in human history.

Only in the same sense that 1976 is part of the decade 1976-1985

I'm having flashbacks from 10 years ago. :)

Yes, the definition of the word "decade" is a period of 10 years. However, when we speak of "THE" decade, we are speaking in terms of specifics. There is no 0 to start -- we start counting at 1, and end at 10. Thus, 1/1/01 started the current decade, and 12/31/10 will end this decade.

I'm having flashbacks from 10 years ago. :lol:

Yes, the definition of the word "decade" is a period of 10 years. However, when we speak of "THE" decade, we are speaking in terms of specifics. There is no 0 to start -- we start counting at 1, and end at 10. Thus, 1/1/01 started the current decade, and 12/31/10 will end this decade.

Yes it's a flashback but the only reason we care about what a "decade" is is to define an "era" of pop culture, we call it the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. Logic as to what number we start counting at has no bearing in pop culture.

Not a complicated issue for me. I'm not interested in over-thinking the logic. It's a simple case of 3 syllables vs 4 syllables, so it's twenty ten that's coming out of my mouth.

In fact, much as we used to say 98 or 99, I'll probably just say 10. We're deep enough into the 2000s to get away with that now.

I think the bigger issue is how we are going to refer to the last decade.

We have the seventies, eighties, nineties, and then what?

Do we call it the zeroes. I think calling it the 2000's would be incorrect because that would refer to the whole century (and possibly millenium).

I think the bigger issue is how we are going to refer to the last decade.We have the seventies, eighties, nineties, and then what?Do we call it the zeroes. I think calling it the 2000's would be incorrect because that would refer to the whole century (and possibly millenium).

The "ohs". It's perfectly acceptable now to call last year "oh-nine".

Say the year "1810" out loud. Now say the year "1999" out loud. See a pattern?!

Say the year "2008" out loud. Now say the year "2009" out loud. See a pattern?
Yep. It's a pattern that ended with 2009, which will be unique to our lifetime because it will be the only decade we see with double 0s as the middle years. It was fun while it lasted. Now on to Twenty-ten. You two-thousand-ten holdout people are the betamax users of calendar linguists.

Where's the poll option for "who gives a rats ###?"

But if we called 2010 "who gives a rats ###?", what would we call 2011?
pretty sure it follows the chinese zodiac. 2011: "Who gives an oxes ###?"

Where's the poll option for "who gives a rats ###?"

But if we called 2010 "who gives a rats ###?", what would we call 2011?
pretty sure it follows the chinese zodiac. 2011: "Who gives an oxes ###?"
I do like it better than two thousand eleven. WTH, I'm on board.

The only reason we're referring to 2010 as a new decade is because of our modern-age fascination with labelling things. "The 70's" couldn't possibly include the year 1980 for labelling purposes, but in reality, 1980 is part of the decade 1971 to 1980. Pretty sure that people a hundred years ago didn't refer to decades as such. This is a fairly recent development in human history.

The only reason a new decade starts in 2011 is that we were not smart enough to start at zero. Does a stop watch start counting at 1 second?

Archived