Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Cleveland Browns -

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora4 hrs

Browns have other options for WR besides draft. Trades and free agency still possible: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24558515/ray-farmer-plenty-of-chances-for-browns-to-add-wr …

wait what????? You mean it's possible we can still sign or trade for more WRs??

Huh, I thought from may till september every player was mandated to stay on their current teams with no trades allowed, and all players released were not allowed to play again till 2015.

Maybe the sky isn't falling??????

Did you read the article you linked, or just liked the title? I find it odd you linked to that one to make your point when the conclusion was "Maybe there are more chances to get a wideout. But it doesn't make the decision not to use a single pick on one any less curious." The entire article is questioning the Brown's lack of a WR pick.

Edited by TxBuckeye

Browns have other options for WR besides draft. Trades and free agency still possible: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24558515/ray-farmer-plenty-of-chances-for-browns-to-add-wr …

Huh, I thought from may till september every player was mandated to stay on their current teams with no trades allowed, and all players released were not allowed to play again till 2015.

Did you read the article you linked, or just liked the title? I find it odd you linked to that one to make your point when the conclusion was "Maybe there are more chances to get a wideout. But it doesn't make the decision not to use a single pick on one any less curious." The entire article is questioning the Brown's lack of a WR pick.

as of right now, that is the first article or comment from an idiot media member that even hints at the possibility that we can still pick up a WR from now till week 1.

interesting theory.

problem is, he should already be in a rehab program following his last suspension.

Rehab "programs" dont last a year

i'd be surprised if the NFL doesn't require an ongoing rehab program once you're in the system.

interesting theory.

problem is, he should already be in a rehab program following his last suspension.

Rehab "programs" dont last a year

i'd be surprised if the NFL doesn't require an ongoing rehab program once you're in the system.

There is a difference between what they likely require, and checking yourself in to an actual PROGRAM

as of right now, that is the first article or comment from an idiot media member that even hints at the possibility that we can still pick up a WR from now till week 1.

Actually, the only one that mentioned it was Farmer. The media member didn't say anything other than being confused at the lack of a WR pick. But that's where they are at now, so let's hope there are some good FAs out there that think the opportunity to play with JM is worth giving Cleveland a shot. Or that Jordan somehow dodges the suspension bullet.

Edit to add: I do think it was a good draft. Lots of good players and holes filled. But I just think one of those picks in the 2nd or 3rd would have been worth spending on a good WR.

Edited by TxBuckeye

@SI_PeterKing: Find out when, where + why @JManziel2 turned to agent Eric Burkhardt Thursday night and said, "EB, we're screwed." In MMQB in a few hours.

@SI_PeterKing: Also, if you're a Browns fan and love the pick, you'll learn why you have to stop hating Banner and Lombardi.

Ultimately the "Browns are stupid for not drafting a WR" people are still moaning about Sammy Watkins. It's a done deal & we came out on top. Quit yer whining!

I'm sorry but anybody who actually thought Watkins would be the choice is just seriously misinformed. Pettine is a defensive HC. He obviously thought our current defense couldn't cover the broad side of a barn. Hence he gets 3 top cover guys in the draft. The image that comes to my mind with these Watkins supporters are fantasy fan boys who think they can fill out their rosters with explosive playmakers and everyone is going to average 20 YPC and we win 77-0 every week. In reality I don't think Watkins was ever really considered.

Ultimately the "Browns are stupid for not drafting a WR" people are still moaning about Sammy Watkins. It's a done deal & we came out on top. Quit yer whining!

I'm sorry but anybody who actually thought Watkins would be the choice is just seriously misinformed. Pettine is a defensive HC. He obviously thought our current defense couldn't cover the broad side of a barn. Hence he gets 3 top cover guys in the draft. The image that comes to my mind with these Watkins supporters are fantasy fan boys who think they can fill out their rosters with explosive playmakers and everyone is going to average 20 YPC and we win 77-0 every week. In reality I don't think Watkins was ever really considered.

umm.................I think if we were not able to trade down, Watkins was the pick.

umm.................I think if we were not able to trade down, Watkins was the pick.

I think the trade down was already consummated prior to the draft and if not they would have taken Mack.

the rookie wide receivers after Watkins and Evans were'nt going to be adifference maker one way or the other. with a rookie QB at the helm They would be better off picking up Santonio Holmes and Miles Austin if he is still available or trying to make a trade and draft wr next year.

I think the trade down was already consummated prior to the draft and if not they would have taken Mack.

Right, I think they knew before the draft started that if Watkins was there they would make that deal.

But if they were not able to come to that agreement, I think there is a very good chance we woulda have taken him.

JFF?

Johnny ####### Football?
i'm already sick of this kid.

No kidding he showed his true colors making the money between his fingers sign walking on stage. Gotta believe this doosh is a doosh.
didn't see that. classy.

Wait wait wait..............we should draft our players based on the division we play in? For realz??

Not sure if serious but yes. The Chargers took a CB in round 1 which makes sense for them because they are trying to beat the high powered pass attack of the Broncos to win the AFC west. But I don't get the Browns going CB2 at 1.09 when the passing attacks in the AFC North aren't that imposing.

Let's try it this way.

Who do the Seahawks have in their division that has a high powered passing attack?

What is the Seahawks blueprint for a team that won the Superbowl?

Here I'll help you.

No one in their division has a high powered passing attack.

The Seahawks blueprint is a great defense with great CB's and Safeties that lets them play man coverage so they can attack the QB because shockingly the NFL has gravitated to be more passing oriented.

Even more shockingly the Seahawks had no 1,000 yard receivers.

They relied on defense and running the ball.

What did the Browns address so far in this draft and free agency?

I guess they are crazy for trying to do something that a team just won the Superbowl doing.

That sounds like being too smart by half.

If you want to attack the QB, drafting Khalil Mack at 1.04 is a vastly superior strategy instead of taking a CB2 at 1.09.

Its not like they either pick a CB2 at 1.09 or nothing. They can find a CB2 in round 2 or 3. But you have Mack sitting right in your lap and you pass on it.

Seriously dude, Have you ever watched Skrine play? We were 5th against WR 1's but 20th against WR 2's. We had a dire need at CB. People need to quit making the AFC North sound like the league of old. The Ravens and Steelers defense is not what it once was and the same can be said for their running games. Neither of them have a smashmouth running game anymore and Farmer and company were smart enough to see that. Last year Pitt was ranked 27th and Balt was 30th in rushing. The NFL is a passing league and the AFCN is following suit.

• Like 1

Hey Soul............I told ya it wouldn't be so bad if we traded down out of that "elite" group: :)))))

You know you love Gilbert and that pretty looking 2015 1st.

There is no player in the draft I would trade Gilbert and Buffalo's 2015 1st rounder for. Thought it was a brilliant deal for CLE.

y'all need to relax

no matter what gordon did or who they drafted this was not their special season. This team needs to uild and seems to be doing a fine job of that

they have a need at WR now, and need to figure pout long term if they can trust Gordon, but it was not something that HAD to be done right now.This team, this staff, this organization needs to learn how to win to become a contender., and that generally does not happen over night. Just sit back, understand that it appears they'll be a lot better this season and appear to be building a long term contender, and enjoy it.

the hand wringing and moaning all comes from the misguided notion that this was some sort of a contender team this season, while possible that was simply not very likely no matter who they drafted and regardless of gordon's weed issues

Hey Soul............I told ya it wouldn't be so bad if we traded down out of that "elite" group: :)))))

if you told me today CLE traded down from #4, Id still be pissed.

we absolutely FLEECED buffalo to move down 5 spots. a 2015 1st and 4th... ya, I didnt see that coming.

Cant argue, I like it. It was a filthy move.

if you told me today CLE traded down from #4, Id still be pissed.

we absolutely FLEECED buffalo to move down 5 spots. a 2015 1st and 4th... ya, I didnt see that coming.

Cant argue, I like it. It was a filthy move.

something interestying to consider

buf traded stevie johnson, if the browns knew they needed a WR they could have tried to work him in, but did not!

i am guessing they have other plans at WR

Funny how Gordon was getting a sure-thing year suspension...

Now that the initial cloud of bullcrap has passed, some big names coming out to say "oh maybe it'll be 8-16", but IF it's in level 2 still it'll be "4-6 weeks"

I was being slammed as a Homer w ridiculous hopes... and in the end I may be.

But it's started to look like some people reeeeeeally jumped the gun in their reporting and now have to cover their asses.

my question on Gordon is not for this season, lets assume he wiggles something and escapes with 6 games this season]

can you trust him going forward?

I think they need to start thnking about a long term replacement, i would just not trust that he'll ever stay clean.

Now that the initial cloud of bullcrap has passed, some big names coming out to say "oh maybe it'll be 8-16", but IF it's in level 2 still it'll be "4-6 weeks"

But it's started to look like some people reeeeeeally jumped the gun in their reporting and now have to cover their asses.

imo browns fans should be fed up with his ### regardless of the length of suspension

imo browns fans should be fed up with his ### regardless of the length of suspension

I dont get fed up with 1600yds in 14 games.

He may not even miss any time this season... but say it's 4.. whatever... it's like an injury.

I just dont get fed up w that kind of sick talent.

He may not even miss any time this season... but say it's 4.. whatever... it's like an injury.

at some point he'll be gone for good

people need to stop giving him a pass, injuries happen and cannot be helped, drug suspensions are the players fault

if he misses 4 games he hurt your team, again, because he cannot stay clean. How long are you willing to gamble on his availability? What if you make a playoff run and he gets wacked AGAIN.

you should be fed up

i see no reason to think he can or will ever stay clean. so far from colelge on what he has most consistently demonstrated is drugs > football

this is interesting, though i have no idea if it is correct

he says they traded down hoping evans would fall, seems questionable though, i don't think many expected him to fall

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24559373/johnny-manziels-rookie-season-looks-bleak-if-browns-lose-josh-gordon

Farmer told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that the Brownscame "very close" to selecting Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins with the fourth overall pick. King asked how Farmer will feel if Watkins becomes Randy Moss II.

"Even if Sammy turns into Randy Moss,

Justin Gilbert can be every bit as good as Patrick Peterson," Farmer said. "That's how much talent he has. And in the game today, I feel cornerbacks are as important as wide receivers, and maybe harder to find. So I have no regrets about it, no."

Farmer said the

Browns would've taken that wideout had the draft broken differently.

"I'll be candid here," he said. "The real position to get a receiver would have been at 35, and we thought of it. There were receivers there we liked a lot. But we loved (Nevada offensive tackle) Joel Bitonio at 35. He was clearly the highest-rated player for us then. Not another guy of his caliber, or even close, there. We stayed true to our board.

"Then we hoped one of the receivers we liked would have fallen to 71, but they were gone then. That's the heartbreaking part of the draft. You like so many guys, and they get picked, and you say, 'There goes another one.' It hurts, but you can't have everyone you want."

the D might being trending "Seattle" - but i see the O trending " San Fran" with a great line, power running, & mobile QB (taking their shots down field after drawing up the safeties)

Browns really could have used WR's M.Bryant (118 - Steelers) or K.Norwood (123-Seahawks) as mid round guys would could have become #2's in the 2014 season

:goodposting:

Note that neither SF or SEA have great WRs.

They built up the D and the O-Line/run game but it all came together for them when they hit on their QBs.

Make no mistake about it, if we hit on Johnny Manziel everything else will work out.

I think we have differing views of Harvin.

Now, if your point was neither team relied on great WRs last year, :yes:

load of #### that report is.

everyone "knew" Evans was going between 5-7.

yeah, that's kind of my feeling too

maybe they HOPED he would fall, but i have trouble believing they expected him to

moral injury maybe.

Your stud receiver cares more about getting high than football.

Your reply is indicative of the reasons these players get away with crap for most of their lives and many don't learn to control themselves.

the D might being trending "Seattle" - but i see the O trending " San Fran" with a great line, power running, & mobile QB (taking their shots down field after drawing up the safeties)

Browns really could have used WR's M.Bryant (118 - Steelers) or K.Norwood (123-Seahawks) as mid round guys would could have become #2's in the 2014 season

:goodposting:

Note that neither SF or SEA have great WRs.

They built up the D and the O-Line/run game but it all came together for them when they hit on their QBs.

Make no mistake about it, if we hit on Johnny Manziel everything else will work out.

I think we have differing views of Harvin.

Now, if your point was neither team relied on great WRs last year, :yes:

Boldin and Crabtree are no slouches

Just call him Johnny Cash.

So many No. 2 Cleveland Browns jerseys with Johnny Manziel's name on them have been sold since he was drafted Thursday night that the rookie quarterback has the best-selling jersey on NFLShop.com since April 1, topping the likes of Russell Wilson, Peyton Manningand Colin Kaepernick.

The league wouldn't say how many Manziel jerseys were sold, but it did say that the official website store sold nearly as many Manziel jerseys across draft weekend, from Thursday to Sunday, as it sold Robert Griffin III,Andrew Luck and Tim Tebow jerseys during their draft weekends combined.

• Like 1

JFF?

Johnny ####### Football?

No kidding he showed his true colors making the money between his fingers sign walking on stage. Gotta believe this doosh is a doosh.
didn't see that. classy.

Do yourself a favor and read something on your new QB before you start forming negative opinions based on stuff like the above.

JFF?

Johnny ####### Football?

didn't see that. classy.
Do yourself a favor and read something on your new QB before you start forming negative opinions based on stuff like the above.
i don't like him as a player, everything else is just icing. Edited by amnesiac

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

Johnny Football magnet.

Preamble to yet more words about Johnny Manziel, the 22nd pick in the NFL draft Thursday night: Between 7 p.m. and midnight Thursday, Twitter recorded approximately 2.5 million Tweets related to Manziel. In the same five hours, 519,000 Tweets were posted, combined, concerning LeBron James, the Miami-Brooklyn and Portland-San Antonio playoff games, and the NHL playoff games (Boston-Montreal, Anaheim-Los Angeles). Five times as many people Tweeted about Manziel alone as Tweeted about the four most important games of the night and the most charismatic athlete in America playing in one of the games—James. “That is a pretty wild stat,” Manziel said.

Now that I have your attention, let’s start this section at 9:33 p.m. Thursday, with the three permanently fixed cameras on Manziel waiting to show his reaction as commissioner Roger Goodell steps to the podium. To Manziel’s left in the green room backstage at Radio City Music Hall is his 33-year-old agent and confidant, Erik Burkhardt.

“With the 13th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft,” Goodell says, “the St. Louis Rams select Aaron Donald, defensive tackle, Pittsburgh.”

Manziel does not like to let people see him sweat. He knew his every move on this night would be scrutinized closely. But the Rams passing on him hurt. Because now he thought he’d be in for a free-fall. He turned to Burkhardt, and sort of out of the side of his mouth, said this:

“E.B., we’re screwed.”

I asked him about this over the phone Saturday night, when he was back home in Texas for 24 hours of relaxation. “I did tell Erik that,” he said. “I felt that way, because there was so much uncertainty after that. I felt really good about St. Louis. My workout with them was great. They spent a lot of time getting to know me and researching me, and I did well when they put me on the board with coach [offensive coordinator Brian] Schottenheimer. So yes, I have to admit, I was a little surprised there when they passed on me.”

“But,” I said, “what about Dallas at 16? You didn’t think that might happen?”

“No, not really,” he said. “After talking to [owner] Jerry Jones a little bit, I understand why they wouldn’t. I felt it would be crazy for the state, for them, and for me. I thought the whole thing would be hectic. Plus, Tony [Romo] is so great. It just wouldn’t have been a great fit. I knew that, and Jerry knew it too, I think.”

As the picks went by, starting soon after the Rams chose at 13, Cleveland GM Ray Farmer worked the phones, trying to find a partner to move up from their second pick in the round (26th overall) to grab Manziel. He couldn’t find a fit.

Finally, with less than three minutes to go in Philadelphia’s 22nd slot, Farmer heard this from an Eagles representative over the phone: “If you’re not gonna jump in here, we’re gonna trade the pick right now.” It’s cloudy what his offer had been to this point, but now he had to sweeten it, and he offered the 83rd pick overall, a third-rounder, in addition to their pick four slots lower than Philly. Done deal. The Eagles liked that offer better than an offer from Minnesota, because the Vikings would have been moving up from 40.

And so here’s Johnny. But the Browns must have really loved the Manziel tape—because his workout with Cleveland brass 19 days before the draft was a mess. On Good Friday night, Browns coach Mike Pettine, GM Farmer, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains went to dinner with Manziel and Burkhardt at a country club outside of College Station, near the Texas A&M campus. “We worked out 10 quarterbacks and ate with all of them,” Pettine said Saturday night. “That’s the only meal we didn’t pay for.” The workout was set for 8 a.m. Saturday morning, so the Clevelanders and Manziel could make it home comfortably for Easter. One problem: no receivers. So a high school buddy, Shanahan and Burkhardt—in jeans and sneakers—were the pass-catchers. After the workout, which included some clanks off Burkhardt’s hands, the agent said to Manziel: “I’ve seen you better.”

“I’d be better,” Manziel said with a laugh, “if you could catch.”

“One thing I liked about our meeting,” said Pettine. “We talked about being prepared to handle the pressure and the demands of being an NFL quarterback, and he told us, ‘I’m equipped to handle it. I think I’ve handled it already.’ I think he’s right.”

Manziel was in Cleveland Friday and got handed his playbook—on a tablet—and examined the playbook on his trip home from Cleveland. Having a playbook will be different for him, because A&M didn’t give out playbooks, just weekly game plans. “It’s a bigger league and a bigger deal,” he said. “But I’m preparing the same way I always would. It’s football.”

Now about everything else Cleveland …

What to do about Josh Gordon? Assuming Gordon is found to have tested positive in the NFL’s substance-abuse program (which ESPN reported Friday), he’ll likely be banned for somewhere between eight and 16 games. Gordon, 23, has been disciplined twice previously for testing positive: once by coach Art Briles at Baylor, and once by the NFL last summer, causing him to be suspended for the first two games of the season. Playing 14 games, he still led the league in receiving yards last year and was the first receiver in history to have back-to-back 200-yard receiving games, in weeks 12 and 13.

But now he could be more of a problem than he’s worth, the same way the immensely talented Justin Blackmon is turning out in Jacksonville. The Browns are trying to establish a winning program, and if they can’t trust their best player, which Gordon clearly is, they’re going to have a tough decision on their hands if and when he’s suspended, and when he returns. Gordon has two years left on his rookie contract. How can the Browns possibly know what to pay him in a second contract, having no idea if they can trust him from one week to the next? If Gordon did test positive, and knowing that a monster contract would likely be coming at the end of this season if he could stay clean, it’s either a measure of the depth of his problem or a measure of his immaturity. Or both.

About passing on Sammy Watkins and all those receivers … Farmer told me that before the Browns made the trade with Buffalo to move from fourth to ninth in the first round, “We were very close to turning in the card. We very easily could have turned in the card with Sammy’s name on it.” I wondered if he would have regrets about passing on him and taking cornerback Justin Gilbert if Watkins turned into a Randy Moss-type talent. “Even if Sammy turns into Randy Moss, Justin Gilbert can be every bit as good as Patrick Peterson. That’s how much talent he has. And in the game today, I feel cornerbacks are as important as wide receivers, and maybe harder to find. So I have no regrets about it, no.”

Okay. But to get no receiver in a good crop of them, knowing you might not have Josh Gordon all season—and maybe forever—is the problem I have. When you start a draft with 10 picks and get zero wideouts, and have to rely on either a blockbuster trade for a veteran or signing a damaged-goods free-agent like Santonio Holmes or Miles Austin, that’s wrong. “It’s still a maybe [about the Gordon ban],” Manziel stiff-upper-lipped. “I firmly believe coach Pettine and Ray Farmer will address it and put us in the best position possible.”

Now, I want to be clear about the job Farmer did. I thought he had a very good draft, with that one large asterisk. He got first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks in 2015 as well as long-term starters at quarterback, cornerback and tackle (in his opinion); if that happens, it’s executive-of-the-year drafting. Farmer moved decisively and without fear. He knew he’d get criticized for not picking a receiver, and he’s ready for it. “I’ll be candid here,” he said. “The real position to get a receiver would have been at 35, and we thought of it. There were receivers there we liked a lot. But we loved [Nevada tackle] Joel Bitonio at 35. He was clearly the highest-rated player for us then. Not another guy of his caliber, or even close, there. We stayed true to our board. Then we hoped one of the receivers we liked would have fallen to 71, but they were gone then. That’s the heartbreaking part of the draft. You like so many guys, and they get picked, and you say, ‘There goes another one.’ It hurts, but you can’t have everyone you want.”

I support trading out of the fourth pick, particularly if it means you get two high picks next year and a corner you feel is the best in the draft. So I would have made that deal. If it were me, I’d have taken a Marqise Lee or Jordan Matthews instead of Bitonio.

How soon will Manziel supplant Brian Hoyer? The good thing for Manziel is that Hoyer doesn’t have a huge head start on him in working with Kyle Shanahan and the new offense—just one month. I’d be surprised if Manziel doesn’t win the job before the Sept. 7 opener at Pittsburgh, but whether he does or not, it won’t be long before he’s under center for good. “We’re not handing him the job,” Pettine told me. “It’s going to be an open and fair competition, and the best man will win.”

Memo to Dawg Pounders happy with the Manziel pick: Stop cursing Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi. Just stop it. Do you know how much those two men helped you draft Manziel? With Banner and Lombardi running the 2013 draft, the Browns traded their fourth-round pick to Pittsburgh in exchange for the Steelers’ third-round pick in 2014; that was the 83rd overall pick in this year’s draft. In September, Banner/Lombardi traded running back Trent Richardson to Indianapolis for the Colts’ first-round pick in 2014; that was the 26th overall pick in this year’s draft. On Thursday, Farmer traded those two picks—26 and 83 overall—to Philadelphia for the 22nd overall pick, the pick he used to draft Manziel.

One last point about Manziel: Imagine if he’d been drafted by the Rams at 13. Imagine the TV trucks, news helicopters, and Ellen DeGeneres and Deion Sanders and Chris Berman and Brian Williams at a May practice to see Manziel and Michael Sam. I think Sam’s in a good spot. Sam plus Manziel would have caused ESPN, NFL Network, Access Hollywood and Outsports to open news bureaus in the shadow of the Gateway Arch. Not too conducive to learning one’s trade.

So as much as Manziel must be questioning his weaponry now that Josh Gordon might be lost for the year, maybe the St. Louis thing wouldn’t have been any better. And don’t assume Manziel isn’t happy being with the Browns. I certainly don’t. He’s already fired up that Houston and Jacksonville, two teams that passed on him, are on Cleveland’s schedule this year. He seemed excited to start his me-against-the-world campaign in Cleveland this week.

Something he said, seriously, Thursday night when it was over and he was a Brown illustrates the fact that we’re dealing with a different cat here. “I kind of like the fact the Browns had the guts to pass on me twice, then come up to get me,” he said. It’ll be an interesting ride with Manziel for at least the next four years.

Edited by Faust

• Joe Bryant changed the title to 2021 Cleveland Browns -