Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Cleveland Browns -

I had Tate and I picked up both West and Crowell. I think Tate is the most talented, all around, and will start and get the most touches. But if he gets hurt, and we all know he could get hurt, I think West gets the next shot. He is a better blocker and a good fit to the zone run system. He can do it all. Crowell is a dynamic runner but aside from the character issues, can he block? Will he block? I think Crowell may have the highest ceiling, which is why I nabbed him in the third round, but his off field issues must be serious for 32 teams to pass on him in the draft, and he isn't at this time as complete a back as the other two.

General manager Ray Farmer said there was “plenty of opportunities” for the team to potentially add a receiver after the draft. The Browns apparently feel Bennett was the best option available.

Oof. I guess this means the Browns really didn't like any WRs in the draft outside of Watkins and Evans?

General manager Ray Farmer said there was “plenty of opportunities” for the team to potentially add a receiver after the draft. The Browns apparently feel Bennett was the best option available.

Oof. I guess this means the Browns really didn't like any WRs in the draft outside of Watkins and Evans?

Some dude out in Billings Montana breaks the news that the Browns are looking into Earl Bennet and your reaction is "WTF? Why didn't they draft one?"

Who did you want them to draft, when?

None of what you just said makes any sense or follows any kind of logic.

From 2013 (have to click on link to see charts)...something to keep an eye throughout the Summer...

Is this man the next Miles Austin or Marques Colston?

Every few years a player comes out of nowhere to take the NFL by storm. It has become a fact of NFL life. Consider Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston; one minute they’re as anonymous as the clerk at your local grocery store, the next minute they are plastered on TVs across the country. The question isn’t whether or not it will happen again. The question is, “where will the next guy come from?”

Here’s a guess: Elsmere, Kentucky.

That is the hometown of 2013 wide receiver prospect Charles Johnson. Over the last few years, Johnson has been difficult to track, both on the field and off. After his high school playing days in Elsmere, he spent a year at Eastern Kentucky before getting suspended and transferring to Antelope Valley Community College in California. He then spent a year away from football to be with his ailing father before ending up at Grand Valley State. Since landing at the DII powerhouse, he has done nothing but dominate for the last two seasons. (GVSU was the proving grounds for Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly and Tennessee’s Butch Jones).

We’ll get to the production in a second. The real reason Johnson landed on anyone’s radar was his pro-day where he skyrocketed (literally) into elite company. If you combine his Vertical Jump and his Broad Jump numbers, you get 172.5”. Fewer than 8% of wide receivers eclipse the 170” figure and even fewer do it at 6’2’’ and in the 215-225lb range. Consider this rarified class of historical freaks:

image_thumb11.png

You don’t need me to tell you how good Julio or Dez are. They’ll probably be among the first five wide receivers drafted in your fantasy football league.

In case you’re curious about Stephen Hill, I’ll point you to this article about his likelihood of following in the footsteps of fellow Georgia Tech wide receivers Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas.

But back to Johnson—HOLY COW! What an impressive workout! But what if I told you that his production was equally amazing? Consider how he stacks up to other wide receivers that came from similarly obscure college teams:

image_thumb12.png

*MS= Market Share of teams total yards or touchdowns

V-Jax, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston have all posted elite seasons in the NFL. As you can read here, I think Brian Quick will soon join that class of premium receivers. So the only riddle left to solve is Grand Valley State WR Charles Johnson.

I was so intrigued by his workout that I actually visited the GVSU website to watch game recap highlights. On at least two occassions he showed ball skills that left my jaw on the floor, in addition to the many other ‘good’ catches. He certainly passes the eye test.

(Pre-draft update: it appears as if Jerry Jones is intrigued too. The following photo appeared recently on Johnson’s twitter account)

d95e66a49c8c11e28ce622000a9f13a7_7.jpg

Has Jerry Jones found the next Miles Austin?

(Post-draft update)

Johnson is a physical freak and a dominant producer. The third, and maybe most critical, piece of the equation is his opportunity. Known as being one of the smartest organizations in the NFL, the Green Bay Packers selected Johnson in the 7th round of the 2013 NFL Draft. After losing Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, they have about 600 snaps vacated from last season (or about 65% of a full-time role). Yes, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones are entrenched as starters, but that 4th WR spot is up for grabs, and we all know how much Aaron Rodgers loves to share the wealth. For his father’s sake, I hope Charles Johnson is on the receiving end of those ARod passes. For the sake of your fantasy football team, I hope you keep tabs on Johnson from here on out. Considering he will be cheap to acquire, the upside is huge and the payoff might be a fairy tale ending for everyone involved.

(May 2014 update: Charles Johnson is on the Browns now and has an opportunity to get playing time at WR if/when Josh Gordon is suspended)

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/03/is-this-man-the-next-miles-austin-or-marques-colston/

Edited by wadegarrett

So...you're convinced they are done adding WRs? Good lord.

It seems he thinks that Farmer likes Bennett over any of the rookie WRs we had a chance to draft, lol.

I guess that also means if I go buy a used Honda civic that I must like it more than the Porsche.

It seems he thinks that Farmer likes Bennett over any of the rookie WRs we had a chance to draft, lol.

I guess that also means if I go buy a used Honda civic that I must like it more than the Porsche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

You guys do realize the first line was a quote from the article, not my own sentence, correct? Seriously, I'll leave this thread to y'all. You guys are in such homer mode, you can't say a damn thing without getting attacked by a bunch of childish insults. #### it, I'll leave you all to your stroke fest.

Considering that the two "top" veteran free agents remaining were Miles Austin and Santonio Holmes, I'm glad they got Austin.

You guys do realize the first line was a quote from the article, not my own sentence, correct? Seriously, I'll leave this thread to y'all. You guys are in such homer mode, you can't say a damn thing without getting attacked by a bunch of childish insults. #### it, I'll leave you all to your stroke fest.

Most people quote quotes. That's probably why your post was misunderstood.

I'm still not sure your last sentence makes alot of common sense. That's not what I would take from the quote. And I'm quite certain Farmer said they liked other WRs in the draft they were just not in the right position to get them according to their board. They had other players ranked higher, maybe alot higher.

And really...the last post...c'mon.

Edited by Bobcat10

Considering that the two "top" veteran free agents remaining were Miles Austin and Santonio Holmes, I'm glad they got Austin.

He'll pull up lame walking out of the room after signing the contract.

Agree he won't last more than maybe 5 games. Those hamstrings are made of string cheese. Was very good in his prime, but he can't stay out of the trainer's room.

He'll pull up lame walking out of the room after signing the contract.

Agree he won't last more than maybe 5 games. Those hamstrings are made of string cheese. Was very good in his prime, but he can't stay out of the trainer's room.
might be enough til Gordon gets back?

It still seems to me that JFF was working the system for $$$. We got this, the "money sign", and "we're screwed". This worries me because I question his motivation. If it's money and he gets his, what then?

I hope I'm wrong. I hope he's all about the game. I hope he kicks butt. I hope he becomes an elite QB. I hope he leads the Browns to the playoffs and the Superbowl!

If he doesn't, I will be sad. I will not be happy to say, "I told you so". And, I hope his (currently over-the-top) supporters will admit they were wrong about him, without excuses.

My hope is that the Browns know way more than I do, than I perceive (how can this not be true?) and he kicks the door down! Go JFF!!!!!

So he balled and showed immense emotion in college just because of the future dollar signs? I think if you're questioning JFF's will to win and be a vocal leader, things like that, you're just looking for as much stuff as possible to question this guy about. You can question his abilities, his size, and how they transfer to the NFL, and that's about it IMO.

• Like 2

Did we financially benefit by releasing Little now? I know majority of you could care less and are glad to see him go, but I would have kept him around if the Browns gained nothing other than having one less WR on the roster in May.

So he balled and showed immense emotion in college just because of the future dollar signs? I think if you're questioning JFF's will to win and be a vocal leader, things like that, you're just looking for as much stuff as possible to question this guy about. You can question his abilities, his size, and how they transfer to the NFL, and that's about it IMO.

Maybe you're right. I would be EXTREMELY happy to be wrong!

Maybe you're right. I would be EXTREMELY happy to be wrong!

If you question those things about Manziel....then that has to be major concern for you for every single NFL prospect. Not many show those qualities more clearly than Manziel.

So the browns threw away their draft board and all the work they did for months because a PLAYER texted them..

What's next, bigfoot told them to trade down for Gilbert?

LOL! Not really. They had the trade lined up, "finger on the trigger". This just provided that last bit of impetus.

Edited by daveR

@Eric_Edholm

Julio trade netted #Browns Phil Taylor, Brandon Weeden, Greg Little, Owen Marecic and pick dealt to move up for Trent Richardson. Welp.

Taylor has 7 sacks over 3 years, 40 tackles last 2 years.

Everyone else is gone.

Richardson did net Manziel, so there's that.

From a month or so ago per 'the Julio trade'. When someone suggested we should trade-down the draft board in this draft.

I pointed out that deal was not good for us.

We didn't get Phil Taylor clean, we had to trade back-up to get him and we gave up our 3rd round pick that year to Kansas City and KC turned that 3rd round pick turned into Pro Bowl OLB Justin Houston

So far we know that Atlanta got a Pro Bowl WR and that KC got a Pro Bowl OLB and we got NT Phil Taylor and the 1st round pick but don't forget we also gave up the 3rd round pick that we got from Pittsburgh. The last 3rd round pick we gave up as a throw-in turned into a Pro Bowl OLB so don't forget that or Justin Houston in the Julio Jones deal.

Must draft an impact player at #4. And there are not many. The player drafted should be seen a pro bowl player, not could be a pro bowl player. Not many of those in the draft.

Robinson, Matthews, Mack and Watkins

One of the 4 will be there 100%. Do NOT trade back. Take one and run

unless we get a Julio type haul like Ghost is referring to... but w the depth of field, it's not happening

A Julio-type of hual?

That deal was not as good as some seem to believe.

What did Atlanta get?

- WR Julio Jones

A physically superior wide reciever who is a Pro Bowler.

What did we get from that deal?

- DT Phil Taylor

But wait. We didn't just Phil, we had to give-up our 3rd round pick to KC in order to move-up to get Phil and guess what that 3rd round pick turn out to be? Pro Bowl LB Justin Houston.

- WR Greg Little

Ugh

- FB Owen Marecic

Pathetic

- QB Brandon Weeden

Are ya kidding me?

So we gave up a physically superior Pro Bowl wide receiver and a Pro Bowl linebacker and basically got DT Phil Taylor in return.

No way in hell do we move down for a late 2nd, late 4th, and a next-year late 1st round pick.

Horrible trade.

Bracie, your better than this.
curious what his take was when the trade was made and after those drafts too.

I thought that trade was good, but the picks made were obviously not.

At the exact time it happened I was estatic but then we had to give-up our 3rd round pick and I did not like that Tom Heckert gave up our 3rd round pick to move back-up only a few places into the third round but many who were estatic about the deal at the time and now overlook that part of the entirely. TERRIBLE MOVE and I followed that pick which did turn into Pro Bowl OLB Justin Houston. No way to defend that move which was instinsically tied to moving back out of the cream of that draft's crop where we could have had WR Julio Jones or OLB/DE Aldon Smith, both huge needs for us at the time. Anyone arguing we don't know who we would have taken is talking out of their butt. It was Julio or trade-down.

Then Greg Little? I had no idea who the heck he was because he was soo far off my radar. Julio and A.J. were the guys I was focused on for WR. Little was projected to go about where he went but he wasn't even an afterthought before that draft for me. I had to research him and we all found out he had red flags for off-field issues and got kicked off his team. I was luke-warm on him from the start because I wanted either A.J or Julio.

Maricec? Hated the pick from the start because we had a great FB who I loved in Laurence Vickers but Heckert cut him in a money saving deal. I thought it was a wasted pick but I didn't realize how bad Marecic was. Even I couldn't have imagined how bad he was or how awful that part of the deal would be. I thought it was a trade-off of one good solid FB for only an average to solid one but where we gave up a draft pick which I felt was stupid and always hated.

Then the 1st round pick we got in 2012? I thought we'd use it as part of a deal to get a QB. Obviously that did not happen and when we drafted Weeden I was apopolitic because we blew the top pick on Richardson who I was against but really blew my top when we moved-up one spot an hour before the draft when it was obvious no-one was moving up to take Richardson.

That fiasco was all tied together. The move-down to acquire extra picks was great at the instant it happened but it fell apart piece by piece and you have to include every part of the deal.

So it was a horrible deal and anyone who tries to say, oh no it was good but the execution was bad? Really? I guess you are right. I'm not 'better' if that is the definition of being 'better'.

That team in 2011 did not have as much talent as we have now. It makes much more sense for a team devoid of talent to try and get more picks. This year a team like Oakland should try to trade down just as they did last year but they would need to get much more in return.

If we were to move-down I'd only be in favor of it if we only moved down a couple of spots where we'd still get a sure-fire blue-chip player. No way in hell should we make a move down the draft board as far as we did in that Atlanta trade. It didn't work out then but at least philosophically it made sense because in 2011 we didn't have Jabaal Sheard or Phil Taylor and Joe Haden and T.J. Ward hadn't developed to the point they were at last year and T.J. had injury issues so at that point when the trade was made people were not sure how he'd turn out.

So no, no way in hell do we even consider an Atlanta-type of deal in this draft where we move that far down in the first round.

So the browns threw away their draft board and all the work they did for months because a PLAYER texted them..

What's next, bigfoot told them to trade down for Gilbert?

LOL! Not really. They had the trade lined up, "finger on the trigger". This just provided that last bit of impetus.

KC was taking him....maybe JFF knew and let us know that too because he wanted to come here. More fuel for the fire.

• Joe Bryant changed the title to 2021 Cleveland Browns -