What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (5 Viewers)

Jimmy Graham may legitimately become a Brown this summer.
Hi Soufly,

Can you expound on this. What makes you think this may happen?

And if it did, how do you think he'd fare compared to how he did last season?

J
Kind of curious about this too, I'm assuming this is random baseless speculation? Or is there some kind of hint or whisper about him possibly being traded?

possible but unlikely.
the longer this goes, the better the Browns chances.

Not sure how I feel about it, due to the "cost"... but there's no doubt getting him makes the Browns a legit threat - Anything less than playoffs would be unacceptable.

Especially when Gordon comes back weeks 5-7
This guy has some crazy hopes.

Graham to become a Brown and Gordon will be back by week 7. You do know the Saints can match any offer and you're in complete denial on Gordon. lol

While we are at it can you get Jim Brown to come out of retirement for the Browns?

I have seen very little about this speculation on Twitter and from what I can tell its talk radio fodder.

Last edited by a moderator:
possible but unlikely.
the longer this goes, the better the Browns chances.

Not sure how I feel about it, due to the "cost"... but there's no doubt getting him makes the Browns a legit threat - Anything less than playoffs would be unacceptable.

Especially when Gordon comes back weeks 5-7
This guy has some crazy hopes.

Graham to become a brown and Gordon will be back by week 7.

While we are at it can you get Barry Sanders to come out of retirement for the Browns?

I have seen very little about this speculation on Twitter and from what I can tell its talk radio fodder.
Again, this is sort of what I'm talking about on how I'd like to see discussion go.

Let's hear what he says about Graham before labeling it crazy. It's just a much better way to have good discussion. Thanks.

J

Hey Joe,

I haven't seen any 'credible' reports but for some reason this has got some legs on many boards.

This thread was just started yesterday on the Scout board.

Not sure if its coming from New Orleans or Cleveland or both but it is getting lots of 'idle' chatter.

It is offically the idle season of the NFL so maybe the logic of the holdout with the Browns needing receiviers coupled with the team holding an extra 1st round pick is burning a hole in the pockets of Browns fans.

I haven't seen any 'credible' sources but this rumor/speculation is starting to get some legs. I think I even saw something on a Twitter accont or two but nothing with a firm foot hold yet.

Oh and the cost of trading for WR Brandon Marshall was a 1st and a 3rd and I think the second time he got traded it was even less so a TE who wants to get paid like a franchise WR and is curerntly holding out would NOT cost 2-first round picks. Paying millions more than any other TE in league history is one thing but also giving up 2-first round picks is beyond whack so even the 'idle' speculatoin doesn't make sense so that is why I think it could even be coming from New Orleans.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=4409&t=12909265

Posted: Yesterday 3:56 PM

Would you trade 2015 & 2016 first rounders for Jimmy Graham

Speculation surfaces

All-Pro tight end Jimmy Graham has yet to sign the franchise tag the New Orleans Saints used on him in February. And in the unlikely event Graham doesn’t work out a new deal with the Saints, former agent and CBSSports.com contributor Joel Corry explained in a column published Thursday that he believes the Browns could be a suitor partly because All-Pro wide receiver Josh Gordon reportedly faces a potential season-long suspension from the NFL for another violation of its substance-abuse policy.

Graham could sign an offer sheet with another team, giving the Saints five days to match it. If the Saints declined to match an offer, they would receive two first-round picks, one in 2015 and another in 2016, as compensation for losing Graham.

The Browns have $25.1 million in salary-cap space, second most in the league, according to the NFL Players Association. They also have two first-round picks in next year’s draft, including one acquired during this year’s draft in a trade with the Buffalo Bills.

The NFLPA filed a grievance on Graham’s behalf earlier this month because he was listed as a tight end for purposes of the franchise tag, but he’ll argue that he spent more time at wide receiver last season. According to ESPN.com, Graham’s snaps were divided the following way: 45 percent as a slot receiver, 33 percent as an in-line tight end and 22 percent as a wide receiver. The franchise number for tight ends is $7.053 million compared to $12.132 million for wide receivers.

Regardless of the grievance hearing, which is scheduled for June 17-18, Corry wrote that the most likely scenario will be Graham signing a long-term deal with the Saints. The deadline for franchise players to sign long-term deals with their teams is July 15.

Browns have picks. Cap space rivaled by only the Bills.

I assume the assumption is we front load the offer, and make it so that Cap strapped Saints cannot match our offer.

So, yeah basically speculation off nothing. No sources and considering the source speculating, it's a nothing story.

Yup, this is crazy, ridiculous and pure hope especially when Saints can match any offer.

Your Saints have HOW much cap space that they can match any offer?

Thx in advance.

eta: I dont wanna wait for you so Ill just answer - 3m

Thx in advance.

Yes, I'm sure the Saints wont make cap room for a guy the franchised and consider a main piece of their franchise.

Good point, you got me.

...and its only 1.9 million not 3 million, but some including me have noticed you are not always right with the facts.

Id be mad too Phenix, if my super cool team was about to lose their best weapon to my lowly Browns.

But sometimes, that's just how life goes. Cooks will be good for you, though

Here is the link to the article that Soulfly3 quoted above:

Nate Urlich constitues 'credible' in my book but he is not reporting he is speculating and he even put that blurb under the heading of SPECULATION SURFACES so the speculation is getting kicked around from a credible source but it is only speculation right now.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-notebook-rookie-cornerback-pierre-desir-goes-from-cleaning-sewage-to-striking-multimillion-dollar-deal-1.491822

Browns notebook: Rookie cornerback Pierre Desir goes from cleaning sewage to striking multimillion-dollar deal

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published: May 29, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Speculation surfaces

So I was off my a million... Which makes your defense actually worse.

w LESS than 2m capspace, you can match any offer, eh?

Tell me more about this magical land you speak of, Phenix

Bracie Smathers said:
We signed the top free agent WRs
:confused:
I've seen you post so its not a question, you are not smart so I'll include all of the words just for you.

We signed the top free agent WRs who were available.

Got it or do you need me to explain more? I mean we know you are not smart and ofcourse a NY Jet fan isn't a troll, no not you. So do you need more information? I really care so much about trying to make sure you understand things because I know you don't ask stupid questions just to troll. No, not you.

--------------------------------------------------------

Somebody in Vegas made a huge bet on the Browns to win the SB. That one bet tumbled the odds from 200 - 1 all of the way down to 30 - 1.

The person who made the bet is either taking a wild shot or maybe they know something, possibly with the appealed suspension of Gordon? I dunno but for the odds to change that much they may have been taking more than a wild roll of the dice.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Browns’ Super Bowl odds sharply reduced at sports book after big betPosted by Mike Wilkening on May 29, 2014, 11:53 PM EDT

... the Cleveland Browns’ Super Bowl odds at the MGM Resorts International sports books in Nevada. Cleveland, once 200-to-1 to win the title, is now 30-to-1 at the MGM books, according to David Purdum of BettingTalk.com.

MGM oddsmaker Jay Rood told Betting Talk that a “four figure” wager on the Browns last week caused MGM to slash its odds from 100-to-1 all way down to 30-to-1. Also, Rood indicated to Betting Talk that wagering on the Browns had picked up since the draft, when the Browns made a major splash by selecting quarterback Johnny Manziel No. 22 overall.

It’s important to note that future book odds — especially with long shots like Cleveland — can be more a reflection of the sports book’s potential liability on the team than anything else. In the end, oddsmakers have to adjust prices to manage risk....
You've seen me post, and think I'm dumb? That's hurtful.

I have also not trolled this thread. I have nothing at all against the Browns. Can you please show me where I've done that? Any post I've made in here has been legit discussion. Perhaps you're confused. Please feel free to report any instances where you thought I was trolling in here.

I wasn't aware of what you were talking about - for real. I was thinking in free agency, but now that you've cleared it up, while I'd disagree (I think Holmes was the best WR available at the time, but since he's still out there NFL GMs don't agree), I understand what you were saying. I like Miles Autsin, if he can stay healthy but don't think theyve done all that much to address the position. They do have some solid veterans in Austin, Bennett, Hawkins and Burleson, so combined with a great yiung TE that could be enough. I don't see them going after Finley, but you never know.

Sorry to everyone else for the sidetrack.

So I was off my a million... Which makes your defense actually worse.

w LESS than 2m capspace, you can match any offer, eh?

Tell me more about this magical land you speak of, Phenix
So you were blatantly wrong and as always you try to flip the story to minimize how much you were wrong? Classic.

This poor guy is so desperate to make points he ends up doing this ---> :doh:

Why do you say that? I l know the franchise tag issue is a source of friction, but with the Sainst being contenders and Brees having a short window, I can't see them trading away their best target.

Speculation surfaces

All-Pro tight end Jimmy Graham has yet to sign the franchise tag the New Orleans Saints used on him in February. And in the unlikely event Graham doesn’t work out a new deal with the Saints, former agent and CBSSports.com contributor Joel Corry explained in a column published Thursday that he believes the Browns could be a suitor partly because All-Pro wide receiver Josh Gordon reportedly faces a potential season-long suspension from the NFL for another violation of its substance-abuse policy.

Graham could sign an offer sheet with another team, giving the Saints five days to match it. If the Saints declined to match an offer, they would receive two first-round picks, one in 2015 and another in 2016, as compensation for losing Graham.

The Browns have $25.1 million in salary-cap space, second most in the league, according to the NFL Players Association. They also have two first-round picks in next year’s draft, including one acquired during this year’s draft in a trade with the Buffalo Bills.

The NFLPA filed a grievance on Graham’s behalf earlier this month because he was listed as a tight end for purposes of the franchise tag, but he’ll argue that he spent more time at wide receiver last season. According to ESPN.com, Graham’s snaps were divided the following way: 45 percent as a slot receiver, 33 percent as an in-line tight end and 22 percent as a wide receiver. The franchise number for tight ends is $7.053 million compared to $12.132 million for wide receivers.

Regardless of the grievance hearing, which is scheduled for June 17-18, Corry wrote that the most likely scenario will be Graham signing a long-term deal with the Saints. The deadline for franchise players to sign long-term deals with their teams is July 15.
Thanks.

and once again you fail to answer a question, Phenix.

With less than 2m capspace, you can match any offer, how?
Seriously? This needs to be explained to you?

Well for starters they can make cap room by cutting players and reworking deals.

Are you new to football? I would guess since you get all the facts wrong.

thanks for the thorough explanation of how the Saints could match any offer.

You've bee a great help in this thread.

Bracie Smathers said:
We signed the top free agent WRs
:confused:
I've seen you post so its not a question, you are not smart so I'll include all of the words just for you.

We signed the top free agent WRs who were available.

Got it or do you need me to explain more? I mean we know you are not smart and ofcourse a NY Jet fan isn't a troll, no not you. So do you need more information? I really care so much about trying to make sure you understand things because I know you don't ask stupid questions just to troll. No, not you.

--------------------------------------------------------

Somebody in Vegas made a huge bet on the Browns to win the SB. That one bet tumbled the odds from 200 - 1 all of the way down to 30 - 1.

The person who made the bet is either taking a wild shot or maybe they know something, possibly with the appealed suspension of Gordon? I dunno but for the odds to change that much they may have been taking more than a wild roll of the dice.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Browns’ Super Bowl odds sharply reduced at sports book after big betPosted by Mike Wilkening on May 29, 2014, 11:53 PM EDT

... the Cleveland Browns’ Super Bowl odds at the MGM Resorts International sports books in Nevada. Cleveland, once 200-to-1 to win the title, is now 30-to-1 at the MGM books, according to David Purdum of BettingTalk.com.

MGM oddsmaker Jay Rood told Betting Talk that a “four figure” wager on the Browns last week caused MGM to slash its odds from 100-to-1 all way down to 30-to-1. Also, Rood indicated to Betting Talk that wagering on the Browns had picked up since the draft, when the Browns made a major splash by selecting quarterback Johnny Manziel No. 22 overall.

It’s important to note that future book odds — especially with long shots like Cleveland — can be more a reflection of the sports book’s potential liability on the team than anything else. In the end, oddsmakers have to adjust prices to manage risk....
You've seen me post, and think I'm dumb? That's hurtful.

I have also not trolled this thread. I have nothing at all against the Browns. Can you please show me where I've done that? Any post I've made in here has been legit discussion. Perhaps you're confused. Please feel free to report any instances where you thought I was trolling in here.

I wasn't aware of what you were talking about - for real. I was thinking in free agency, but now that you've cleared it up, while I'd disagree (I think Holmes was the best WR available at the time, but since he's still out there NFL GMs don't agree), I understand what you were saying. I like Miles Autsin, if he can stay healthy but don't think theyve done all that much to address the position. They do have some solid veterans in Austin, Bennett, Hawkins and Burleson, so combined with a great yiung TE that could be enough. I don't see them going after Finley, but you never know.

Sorry to everyone else for the sidetrack.
Posts like yours reinforce my stance on B.S. Talk about a troll. Do yourself a favor...ignore. And thanks again for the post.

... I understand what you were saying.
You knew but still asked as though you didn't. For no apparent reason.

I haven't followed Santonio but others indicated some 'off-field' issues and considering the team is currently dealing with one WR with 'off-field' issues and apparently they had some sort of issues with G-Little, it seems they are willing to take a few injury risks.

So at the time the Browns signed Miles Austin and Burleson, according to PFT's FA ratings, they were the highest rated FA WRs out three at the time.

The 'mystery' team that Finley's agent was hinting he was getting some interest from was the Giants.

He's still available and would have to be considered the highest rated free agent TE available out there right now and their is some 'idle' chatter about the Browns and TE Jimmy Graham but the cost seems out of line but the cost to land Finley wouldn't cost nearly as much money and nothing in terms of draft picks.

Question:

Is Jimmy considered a Free Agent currently, as he hasn't signed his franchise tender?

In which case, you can't technically TRADE for him, as he isn't owned by any team.

So essentially, Graham could be had for "nothing" except a really high contract cost

Or am I off?

trust me, as a Saints fan, i would love for Graham to be moved. he's truly over-rated.
according to Phenix you guys will cut half your team to resign him.

So he can't be overrated
:lol:

Go look at his stats in the first four years of his career compared to that of "Jerry Freaking Rice."

Rice 264/4881/49

Graham 301/3863/41

But, I can see how some think he is over rated.

Question:

Is Jimmy considered a Free Agent currently, as he hasn't signed his franchise tender?

In which case, you can't technically TRADE for him, as he isn't owned by any team.

So essentially, Graham could be had for "nothing" except a really high contract cost

Or am I off?
You couldnt be further off, but thats expected.

He is a tendered franchised player by the Saints. The cost for him to become the property of another team is a pricey contract and 2 first round picks and the Saints not to match any offer from another team.

21% less yards and 16% less touchdowns.

on 37 more catches.
Wow dude, is that how you spin it? No wonder the majority of people in the threads you post prove you wrong so much.

But then again you have shown you dont understand the drug policy, the franchise tag, the salary cap and many other things.

Ouch man, sorry you will not be new to football forever, so you have that going for you.

Doesn't the Saints current cap include the TE franchise amount for Graham (a little over 7 Mil according to that article)?

So if a team offered Graham a contract that had a 2015 cap figure of say 15 Million, then the Saints would "only" have to clear 6 Mil in cap room. (15 Mil new cap figure - 7 Mil old cap figure = 8 Mil in new cap charge with 2 Mil in cap space).

on 37 more catches.
I'll be honest, I've never really even considered Graham outside of New Orleans. But hypothesizing on it is fun. He'd be a HUGE help for a team like Cleveland. Whether it could ever happen or not is a different topic but it's fun to consider.

J

Thx in advance.

$1,935,121 according to this
Like I said above, he is not really good with facts, dont mind him.

Maybe he should have waited for me to answer, he would of got the facts.
Come back after the weekend and be way cooler.

J
:popcorn: Figured this might be the first team thread to be locked ever.

on 37 more catches.
I'll be honest, I've never really even considered Graham outside of New Orleans. But hypothesizing on it is fun. He'd be a HUGE help for a team like Cleveland. Whether it could ever happen or not is a different topic but it's fun to consider.

J
Nor have I. Nor do I think it has a very high probability. But w the cap space, Manziel mania, and a new attitude w the Browns, I can see them wanting to make that huge splash that, imo, would truly make them a real contender.

w Graham I can't see any way the Browns stay out of the playoffs. Especially if/when Gordon makes an early return.

They have to at least be considering the move.

It is certainly just speculation but it is not crazy. If the Browns want him and Jimmy wants to play here then the ability to make it happen is there.

is Graham really worth the 2 1sts though?

a QB i could see... but i don't know if i could pull the trigger on a WR/TE personally.

... I understand what you were saying.
You knew but still asked as though you didn't. For no apparent reason.
You cropped the full statement:

I was thinking in free agency, but now that you've cleared it up, while I'd disagree (I think Holmes was the best WR available at the time, but since he's still out there NFL GMs don't agree), I understand what you were saying.

Well, put it this way:

If the Browns think "we are going to the playoffs this year w Graham" (very reasonable assumption) the pick NO would obtain next season would be a later 1st... and likely the season after as well.

We would still hold the Bills #1 next season, which we could presume would be in the lbetter half (I am a "hometown" Bills fan too, so Im not saying it to degrade them)

But if Gordon was to miss little time, and we add Graham... we'll be back drafters... 2 of those for Graham, ya Id do that. For sure

is Graham really worth the 2 1sts though?

a QB i could see... but i don't know if i could pull the trigger on a WR/TE personally.
since we have to pay him as well it'd be tough to swallow but Graham is arguably the best receiving weapon in the game behind Calvin. Personally i would not do it but I also would have addressed pass catcher in the draft. Not addressing the position puts us in a tough spot.

Just some more fuel for the speculation-fire.

Here are the highest paid TEs in the NFL today.

Jimmy Graham is already on the list based on the tender the Saints have on the table for him.

Rob Gronkowski - 9 Mil
Jason Witten - $7.4
Vernon Davis - $7.3
Antonio Gates - $7.2
Jimmy Graham - $7.03 (Because he is tendered as a top 5 NFL TE)
Jared Cook - $7.02
Jermichael Finley - $7.0
Marcedes Lewis - $6.8
Dennis Pitta - $6.4
Greg Olsen - $5.7
Martellus Bennett - $5.1

I think it is obvious that he is worth more than what he's been tendered considering his production.

CBD asked an open-ended question.

If you could get ANY PLAYER at ANY POSITION and you had to pay two first-round draft picks for the Browns.

Who would you pay that price for?

They went QBs, Tom Brady and Aarron Rodgers. They said no other player was worth that price.

Users who are viewing this thread