What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

That first draft McCown led they looked good. A balanced offense that chewed up the clock and marched down the field. Then one concussion later and they look like crap. Manziel had one good drive resulting in a touchdown. After that he sucked. The team sucked. Very frustrating to watch.

That first draft McCown led they looked good. A balanced offense that chewed up the clock and marched down the field. Then one concussion later and they look like crap. Manziel had one good drive resulting in a touchdown. After that he sucked. The team sucked. Very frustrating to watch.
17 play drive...longer than any drive in 2014...and he got concussed to dot the 'i' and cross the 't'. Does it get any more typical Browns than that?

17 play drive...longer than any drive in 2014...and he got concussed to dot the 'i' and cross the 't'. Does it get any more typical Browns than that?
We drank every time one of us, or someone around us, said that was so browns or something along those lines today.I think I'm recovered now.

Maybe.

Everybody must go. Farmer, Pettine, Haslam, Chomps... everybody.
same #### every year.where's the dominant defense and elite offense line i keep hearing about?
VERY disappointed with the offensive line today. All phases.
WHat do you expect? We have the worst QBs, WRs, TEs, and RBs in the entire NFL, not to mention our O-line coach is on hiatus for hitting women.

I mean, I am surprised every time they gain a yard

This team has such great potential to go 0-16
Relax. Just imagine if McCown's #elway'esque helicopter goal line dive actually resulted in a early TD and they got to run the offense they've been practicing for months vs. crushing his melon and inserting $ into the game. (but that just wouldn't happen for us browns / CLE fans).

The Jets are a decent team and you're right - our O looked rough. Tough to judge w/ the change of qbs so early.

Please post the link to the factory of pain dude. I'm sure he's still breaking drywall in his basement now.

When your offense is desperate to have Bowe come back as its WR1, yeah you have a lot of problems.

Ask the Chiefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way McCown has thrown his body around this was inevitable.
Seriously, what the hell is this guy thinking? He knows what this team will look like with Manziel under center. He's careful enough not to throw INTs on every pass... why can't he be careful enough not to dive headfirst into every LB he sees? Both are necessary for us to win at this point.

thecardiackid said:
same #### every year.where's the dominant defense and elite offense line i keep hearing about?
WHat do you expect? We have the worst QBs, WRs, TEs, and RBs in the entire NFL, not to mention our O-line coach is on hiatus for hitting women.

Relax. Just imagine if McCown's #elway'esque helicopter goal line dive actually resulted in a early TD and they got to run the offense they've been practicing for months vs. crushing his melon and inserting $ into the game. (but that just wouldn't happen for us browns / CLE fans).

The Jets are a decent team and you're right - our O looked rough. Tough to judge w/ the change of qbs so early.

Please post the link to the factory of pain dude. I'm sure he's still breaking drywall in his basement now.
There is no reason to relax, and never was.

Do you realize just how good Mccown or any QB would have to play for this offense to score any sort of consistent points? Not ONE single player in the offense is a guy who is going "make a play" out of nothing more than maybe once a year if at all. We have nothing but JAGs at WR, TE, and RB.

This is so, so bad.

As I said before, 0-16 is a very realistic possibility even if Mccown is healthy.

McCown was nuts yesterday, was he trying to inspire the team with that craziness?

Any timeline on his return? Next week possible? If so just start over.

thecardiackid said:

There is no reason to relax, and never was.

Do you realize just how good Mccown or any QB would have to play for this offense to score any sort of consistent points? Not ONE single player in the offense is a guy who is going "make a play" out of nothing more than maybe once a year if at all. We have nothing but JAGs at WR, TE, and RB.

This is so, so bad.

As I said before, 0-16 is a very realistic possibility even if Mccown is healthy.
Well, on McCown's one drive it went for 17 plays and 90 (?) yards, only to be thwarted on the goal line because McCown is certifiable.

I get it, you hate him. He ran over your puppy then pissed in your wheaties. The offense has also looked fine with him under center. Not sure if you can coach the kamikazi mission out of him though...

What do I expect? When you are pegged with a top tier OL you shouldn't look that bad. I don't care what is around you or what the defense is doing...open holes for the run game and protect your QB for more than the time it takes for him to drop back. I saw none of that outside of a few plays. And you certainly don't commit as many penalties as they did.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 5h5 hours ago

#Browns OC Flip: "I told the guys this morning that no one has to go out and play like Superman for us to win this game"
Way to coach`em up, Flip.
Probably directed at QB Josh McCowan who took some unnecessary hits in the third preseason game when he ran and didn't slide and another time when he held onto the ball took long and got rocked by a linebacker. If Josh goes down Johnny is the only backup who knows the offense and he has been suffering from tendinitis and only recently began throwing again.

Other than Josh I don't know who he would have been addressing.
Yup.

------

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/browns-qb-josh-mccown-suffers-concussion-jets-article-1.2358803

Browns QB Josh McCown suffers concussion vs. Jets, Johnny Manziel takes over for Cleveland ​

McCown fumbles the ball at the goal line on the play. He will not return to action Sunday.​

------

- The offensive line has looked like #### all preseason and further back into camp. Reports that Pro Bowl center Alex Mack was still not 100% back.

- First round pick C/G/T Cameron Irving reported to need a lot of work on his technique and wasn't ready to challenge for a starting job in the preseason and probably not this year, definitely not early in the season.

- Running backs, ugh. I don't care about T-West. He ran high and danced but then inexplicably he'd get low and run hard through a hole but then go back to dancing and trying to bounce everything outside. Couple his flaws running the ball with his locker room issues and its no surprise he's gone.

- Crow simply isn't elusive enough. He had the lowest number of forced missed tackles in the league last year for the number of carries and ranked at or near the bottom this preseason. He runs hard, he runs strong, he doesn't run smart.

- The script for the season was supposed to be dominant play on both lines but we gave up 154 yards on the ground. It was different from last year in that nothing was really there between the tackles but it was exactly like last year in that our outside linebackers couldn't contain the edge. Kruger really sucks in that aspect of his game. It wasn't as noticeable last year since Mingo and others were on the weakside and teams attacked that edge but Kruger is slow to disengage and doesn't have the wheels to keep contain. Lots of runs to his side. Really disappointing.

- Hot shot rookie DT Danny Shelton did nothing yesterday but he was matched up against the most dominating center in the league. The other thing is the Jets were not running inside and Shelton did make one solid play to stuff the 4th down run which is as good as a turnover. Basically, I think he's fine but people will assume since we gave up so many yards on the ground and that he only had 1 solo and 1 assist that he sucked, no. He wasn't impressive but he did his job but people want to complain so they'll paint with a broad brush and crush everyone. I think he'll be fine but may not impress.

- Coaches. No excuses. None. No quarter. They sucked. No team should ever have that many penalties ever. That is on the coaches. If the damn offensive line woman beater is the reason then Pettine hired him so guess who is responsible for a poor offensive line performance from guys who are much more talented then how they performed on the field?

Well at least we get to face the QB who debuted with 4 TDs in the first half of play, ugh.

Well, on McCown's one drive it went for 17 plays and 90 (?) yards, only to be thwarted on the goal line because McCown is certifiable.

I get it, you hate him. He ran over your puppy then pissed in your wheaties. The offense has also looked fine with him under center. Not sure if you can coach the kamikazi mission out of him though...
McCown moved the ball some and then turned it over. Great.

#vacuumanalysis

#vacuumanalysis
Me? You're the one talking about the offense looking fine based on one drive that ended in a turnover.

#vacuumanalysis
Me? You're the one talking about the offense looking fine based on one drive that ended in a turnover.
The Broncos won yesterday, so Peyton Manning played great.

#vacuumanalysis
You really want your 6'5" QB to lay down & give up? Man!!! Have you ever played the game??? I LOVE his effort!

on page 4? come'on'man...

where is the love and false north coast hope? i'm not thinking about playoffs (yet) but that was a solid all around game in the home opener. and didn't see the game yet.

anyone who watched the game care to comment on the convincing win over the team that just crushed TB (who beat NO).

Solid D performance

Crow v Duke

O line rebounds

JM looking good on the highlights, but completed 8 total passes

AFCN is looking solid minus BAL (so nice to type...)

Gonna pour some adult beverages and enjoy. Cheers boys.

The defense and Travis Benjamin were dominant. Manziel made the two big plays, was bailed out on his fumbles, and otherwise avoided the big mistake. O line fell asleep in the third quarter then Mariota got in a groove, but like most of the day the pass rush and Tennessee penalties got the best of them.

Why, on 4th down, did they send "Metcalf up the middle"?
I liked going for it, but the qb sneak with Johnny? Oof.
Kinda questioned that myself. You got a bruiser in the Crow sitting back there, why run/risk JM at about 185lbs up the middle?

Loved the win though, poke all the holes you want, the air is sweeter, the beer a little crisper and the sun shines a little brighter when the Browns win :thumbup:

Ok, now let me begin by saying I think Manziel is trash, and I even think he played like trash against the Titans. Two bombs on crap coverage, and mostly trash the entire rest of the day. He really tried to give that game back to the Titans with his customary fumbles.

However, this news I hear about Mccown starting week 3 adds to the dysfunction that is the stupid ### Cleveland Browns. Just when I think it can't get any dumber, it does, on a very consistent basis.

Mccown is terrible, and has been terrible for over a decade. Even if the coaches think Mccown gives them the best chance to win in week 3, why in the HELL is Mccown starting? You drafted Johnny (not some other regime, THIS regime) in the 1st damn round last year. He comes in week 1 completely unprepared and at least showed a small level of competence, and then in week 2 with a full week of reps he actually made a few plays and looked even more competent.

So you are taking your recent 1st round QB coming off a win where he made a few plays and sitting him for the ultimate journeyman who has proven to be below average since Clinton was president.

Again, even if Mccown really does present the best chance to win in week 3, that does NOT mean playing him in week 3 represents the best chance for the Browns to end up with the most wins they can have this year.

Maybe, just maybe, young Johnny can improve even more and cut out his stupid game changing fumbles.

This is so dumb, and I can't even believe I am saying this, but the Browns are total idiots if Manziel isn't starting this week

Ok, now let me begin by saying I think Manziel is trash, and I even think he played like trash against the Titans. Two bombs on crap coverage, and mostly trash the entire rest of the day. He really tried to give that game back to the Titans with his customary fumbles.

However, this news I hear about Mccown starting week 3 adds to the dysfunction that is the stupid ### Cleveland Browns. Just when I think it can't get any dumber, it does, on a very consistent basis.

Mccown is terrible, and has been terrible for over a decade. Even if the coaches think Mccown gives them the best chance to win in week 3, why in the HELL is Mccown starting? You drafted Johnny (not some other regime, THIS regime) in the 1st damn round last year. He comes in week 1 completely unprepared and at least showed a small level of competence, and then in week 2 with a full week of reps he actually made a few plays and looked even more competent.

So you are taking your recent 1st round QB coming off a win where he made a few plays and sitting him for the ultimate journeyman who has proven to be below average since Clinton was president.

Again, even if Mccown really does present the best chance to win in week 3, that does NOT mean playing him in week 3 represents the best chance for the Browns to end up with the most wins they can have this year.

Maybe, just maybe, young Johnny can improve even more and cut out his stupid game changing fumbles.

This is so dumb, and I can't even believe I am saying this, but the Browns are total idiots if Manziel isn't starting this week
Yup, they dumb.

Because the team needs to win games in order for people to keep their jobs.

If that's the way they think, then they should just be fired now. I know self preservation is a strong instinct, but the people running the Browns should be working in the Browns' best interest. Starting Manziel is much better for the organization. They are not a playoff team with McCown under center anyway.

Do you REALLY think Josh freaking Mccown gives them some sort major increased chance of winning over Johnny? Mccown is a proven long term losing QB.

If that's the way they think, then they should just be fired now. I know self preservation is a strong instinct, but the people running the Browns should be working in the Browns' best interest. Starting Manziel is much better for the organization. They are not a playoff team with McCown under center anyway.
Exactly. The team is going NOWHERE with Mccown. They aren't going anywhere with Johnny either, but if you give the dude experience MAYBE we can get somewhere next year.

But nah, let's just keep running out the 37 year old journeyman dipholes who can get us to 6-10 so maybe someone can keep their job.

Do you REALLY think Josh freaking Mccown gives them some sort major increased chance of winning over Johnny? Mccown is a proven long term losing QB.
In this specific matchup, actually, yes. I think McCown is more likely to take advantage of the weakness at corner for Oakland than Johnny. I probably don't have as strong of an opinion either way in most matchups, but this one? Yep.

Exactly. The team is going NOWHERE with Mccown. They aren't going anywhere with Johnny either, but if you give the dude experience MAYBE we can get somewhere next year.

But nah, let's just keep running out the 37 year old journeyman dipholes who can get us to 6-10 so maybe someone can keep their job.
The team went 7-9 last year with incompetent QB play and a locker room (an entire operation) that fell apart in the second half of the season. The team should be doing what they think they need to do to win now and worry about later when the times comes, which is later.

I was pretty shocked by the announcement as well. One thing I know is this constant change, at position or coaching promotes nothing but perpetual losing. There are guys on the team that are playing out the string, there are guys cashing a check, there are young guys that don't know any better and are actually trying to win. Mash all that together with a rookie-ish HC & staff, a disfunctional GM and a meddling owner (don't care what you say, Jimmy is calling down to the locker room more than we know) and it all points to yet another year of 6-10, a ####ty draft pick and us looking the fool for putting up with this ####.

Edit to add - Amnesiac mentioned it but if you really think McCown is finishing the season you're a fool. He might not make it out of September

I was pretty shocked by the announcement as well. One thing I know is this constant change, at position or coaching promotes nothing but perpetual losing. There are guys on the team that are playing out the string, there are guys cashing a check, there are young guys that don't know any better and are actually trying to win. Mash all that together with a rookie-ish HC & staff, a disfunctional GM and a meddling owner (don't care what you say, Jimmy is calling down to the locker room more than we know) and it all points to yet another year of 6-10, a ####ty draft pick and us looking the fool for putting up with this ####.

Edit to add - Amnesiac mentioned it but if you really think McCown is finishing the season you're a fool. He might not make it out of September
I think this move shows Pettine is in control. Likewise with that bum Dwayne Bowe's lack of involvement and Gilbert not being active yet this year. I think Farmer's a clown, but as of right now I trust what's happening gameday is all Pettine and that we have a chance to win most weeks as long as that's the case.

The team went 7-9 last year with incompetent QB play and a locker room (an entire operation) that fell apart in the second half of the season. The team should be doing what they think they need to do to win now and worry about later when the times comes, which is later.
7-9 is NOT a good record, and they didn't get many wins with incompetent QB play, because there was a time that Hoyer was playing reasonably well early in the season. Once he totally collapsed so did the season (admittedly I'm not a Browns' fan so my recollection may be off).

7-9 is NOT a good record, and they didn't get many wins with incompetent QB play, because there was a time that Hoyer was playing reasonably well early in the season. Once he totally collapsed so did the season (admittedly I'm not a Browns' fan so my recollection may be off).
I agree. We won early on because Hoyer played competently. Not good, maybe not even average - just not terrible. Once he went terrible the whole thing fell apart. Is McCown any better or worse than Hoyer? :shrug: From what I've seen so far I think he may be just as good, or better, as early season Hoyer. The problem is clearly his recklessness though.

While i'd like to see more of johnny right now, let's not forget he's about 10 mos away from his rehab, etc. He completed 8 passes (yes 2 were great) in the entire game. I think the coaching staff was very happy w/ Mccown and his 13 play drive pre helicopter goal line dive.

Anyway, to you JM proponents, Mccown is not going to last much longer if he keeps getting crushed.

Not defending the decision, but I get it.

I posted this disclaimer in another thread. Here we go again... I never saw Johnny play in college. I have only his NFL stuff to base my opinion on. I saw McCown look pretty good against an excellent Jets D, until he was knocked out of the game. I saw Johnny suck afterward. I saw Johnny complete 8 passes against TEN, perhaps a lesser D. I saw Johnny put the ball on the ground a couple MORE times.

The ONLY thing he does better is ad lib. Will he develop into a pocket passer (ala Brady, Luck, Manning, Rodgers, etc, etc...) ? I don't know, but I'm not willing to give up on this team in the meantime.

Face the facts, right now McCown is better.

But he may very well NOT be better if manziel gets another game or two under his belt.

Mccown will always "be better" if Johnny isnt playing.

Users who are viewing this thread