What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

Why on Earth would that article try to make it sound like Elway got over on the Browns or that he is two steps ahead???

Oh dear lord, the Browns are "stuck" with Joe ####### Thomas instead of pick 29 next year.

Hi Browns fans, I just saw this in RW:

Browns coach Mike Pettine acknowledged Duke Johnson needs to get more touches.
Johnson saw three touches against the Cardinals last week with just one of those coming in the second half. "Duke is a guy who has showed he can do some damage with the football," Pettine said. "I think that is on us as a staff to find more creative ways to get him the football, whether that is in the run game or whether that's in the pass game. He is showing to be the guy we thought he was." With Isaiah Crowell and Robert Turbin forming one of the most ineffective early-down duos in the league, there is little reason for Johnson to touch the ball just three times in any game. He should lead the backs in opportunities moving forward.
I don't know why or how Duke got so few touches vs AZ but he obviously had one big play, the 52 yard reception. It's criminal to me.

Anyone think there is any credence to RW saying that Duke will "lead the backs in opportunities moving forward"? Seems impossible or unfounded for them to say that.

Ware>>>dumervile. Not elways fault dumerville and his agent can't operate a fax machine.
THAT was the planned by Elway? You can't give credit to Elway for THAT.

Add, Elvis is on the books for over $2 million LESS than DeMarcus on a team that is scraping to find every bit of cap space.
Lol...scrapping for cap space and yet having 7mil+ after getting Vernon Davis.. Right. And ware has more production than elvis.
$7+ million eh?

And I'm sure that Ware having Von Miller rushing the opposite end has no effect, lol.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Broncos $4,813,264 ​

Why on Earth would that article try to make it sound like Elway got over on the Browns or that he is two steps ahead???

Oh dear lord, the Browns are "stuck" with Joe ####### Thomas instead of pick 29 next year.
THEY didn't, Sessler did. Sessler is a Browns fan who gets beat up by two Jets fans on the pod they are all on together if he DARES to say anything positive about the Browns so he tends to exaggerate negatively any Browns story even though the Browns obviously were not the ones who got punked, it was Elroy. Elroy said he was winning for the future, bwaa haaaaaa. Yeah in a pig's eye he is.

That is why he traded for Vernon Davis and tried to land Joe Thomas where he offered his first and more but got turned down. But John said he's winning for the future so it must be true right? LOL. And Sessler has to grow another pair because for him to say Elroy gets credit for 'swinging for the fences'.

Swinging for the fences and he whiffed. Oh in other words he struck out. Almost as embarrassing as Bronco fans saying that losing Elvis Dumervil was a great move by Elroy, lol.

Umm, this isn't embarrassing for Elway either Bracie. The couldnt work out a deal for a hall of fame LT. It's not surprising.

We also have no idea what the Browns were demanding. You THINK you might know, or you might read someones blurb who thinks they know, but you have no idea.

People are going to think someone messed up because a report came out saying they were close. Chances are that report was false.

Umm, this isn't embarrassing for Elway either Bracie. The couldnt work out a deal for a hall of fame LT. It's not surprising.

We also have no idea what the Browns were demanding. You THINK you might know, or you might read someones blurb who thinks they know, but you have no idea.

People are going to think someone messed up because a report came out saying they were close. Chances are that report was false.
We don't know what he was offering eh?

Yeah we do.

Elway didn't get the guy he wanted. He took a 'swing at the fences' offering his 2017 first round pick not his 2016 first round pick so he definitely wasn't acting like he was building for the future so he doesn't get credit for not landing Joe Thomas or for his stated stance that he's building for the future just because he said so because his actions say just the opposite.

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/2015/11/03/denver-broncos-joe-thomas-cleveland-browns/75114524/

...the Broncos offered their first-round pick in the 2017 draft and a second-round pick from the 2016 draft in exchange for Thomas and the Browns' third-round draft pick in 2016. The Browns offered Thomas and a fifth-round draft pick in 2016. The Browns wouldn't budge.

Now that's close. Given Thomas' contract -- he had roughly $33.5 million remaining on the final 3 1/2 years of his contract -- the Broncos' offer could have been considered beyond fair-market value but there was a point when they wouldn't go too far. The first round pick in 2017 rather than 2016 is significant. It's pretty much assured the 7-0 Broncos will be picking near the end of the first round in 2016. There is less certainty about where the Broncos will finish in 2016 and pick in 2017.

MAC_32 said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Alex Mack not being willing to waive his no-trade was really just a way of sticking it to the Browns after they wouldn't let him leave via RFA when he made it clear he wanted out, right?
I thought it, but I'm negative enough as is, so I left it for one of you guys to write. Thanks for not letting me down.
Here for you bro

IF we assume this is correct:

Are browns fans happy to still have Thomas, or do you wish the Bronos would have given what the browns offered

(and yes, giving elway a "win" for not doing this is dumb. If he gets a win for not doing it so do 30 other teams).

Just a reminder to keep comments football-related...personal attacks, insults, etc. will not be tolerated.

Thanks.

I know it’s fashionable to say ‘well the Browns suck at drafting so they would have just screwed up the picks anyway.’

I mean, if you want this thing to friggin’ ever get turned around, you’re gonna have to hit on some picks more often than a few times a decade. All the attention for the franchise seems to be front office turmoil/Pettine and Farmer don’t get along/Johnny misbehaving again/trade rumors. I don’t give a crap about that anymore. It’s all sideshow from the overarching problem. This roster is depleted. It is in desperate need of an overhaul especially on the defensive side. We need good players. Not serviceable ones. Not ones looking to come back to Ohio and get the most out of their final contract a la Dansby and Whitner. Those extra picks, in theory I admit, could have gone a long way towards replenishing the roster. That would do more for repairing the franchise’s image than anything.

Those who think this was some sort of disrespect towards Joe Thomas are overlooking the fact that we’re multiple players away from being good and who knows how effective Thomas will be when/if we get good again. The defense forced four turnovers against the Cardinals and they still wiped the floor with us because there’s that much of a talent difference. The reaction yesterday when it was found out Thomas might be traded wasn’t that different from two years ago when they traded Richardson. I know that’s not a completely identical situation, but still.

So can we please just plug and play Johnny the rest of the year and end this season in dramatic fashion?? Please???

I am not saying I want this to happen, but I would bet money that almost everyone in charge of anything on this team is getting fired in the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured this would be the time they'd consider moving to Manziel if they weren't winning. McCown's injury just sped up the timeline a week.

f

I hear the annual Bernie November chatter was cued up again.
Oh, this isn't a new thing? Since Haslam bought the team, the rebranding, new logo & uniforms, & stadium renovations have increased the teams valuation $500M. The fact that somebody thinks that is noteworthy or the end game probably says a lot about what matters most to ownership. The last few drafts have yielded four first rounders who have made little to no impact on the field. 2-12 since November 2014, 3-13 since they were tied for first last year.

Probably not the Browns biggest single need but just look at WR corps. They knew Gordon was suspended for the season in January but did nothing substantive to address it. Bowe is not a #1 - hell, turns out he barely qualifies as a professional footballer these days - and Hartline solves nothing. No team has a clearer draft need but the Browns wait until the third day & accomplish nothing in New York. WR5 Travis Benjamin has regained his elite speed two years after tearing his ACL. Great story to see his early season breakout. But all the Browns dynamic playmakers (Duke & the WRs) are small framed . little guys. That's not really a recipe for success in their division and their climate.

Just one example but it's the kind of bungling that creates serious doubt about Farmer as a GM.

Farmer is gone, so we won't have to worry about him any more after this season. I would bet anything on it, and I couldnt agree more to get him out of here.

Bernie should have a role here. QB coach for life.

Since Haslam bought the team, the rebranding, new logo & uniforms, & stadium renovations have increased the teams valuation $500M. The fact that somebody thinks that is noteworthy or the end game probably says a lot about what matters most to ownership.
There really is no hope for this franchise.

Since Haslam bought the team, the rebranding, new logo & uniforms, & stadium renovations have increased the teams valuation $500M. The fact that somebody thinks that is noteworthy or the end game probably says a lot about what matters most to ownership.
Until some Gm and coach who are PROVEN to be good at their jobs decide they want to come work here, this is correct.

The problems are so deep that I think that is the only way to begin a turnaround.

Problem is, those types of leadership have zero interest in coming here when they have several choices.

Until some Gm and coach who are PROVEN to be good at their jobs decide they want to come work here, this is correct.

The problems are so deep that I think that is the only way to begin a turnaround.

Problem is, those types of leadership have zero interest in coming here when they have several choices.
Yep, why would anyone want to work in Jimmy and Alec's circus? Career suicide.

It's comical that the espn bottom line refers to a healthy mccown will start over Manziel...according to "Browns coach".

Somebody tell me something positive about how the Browns releasing Turbin means things are looking up for Duke's usage. TIA.
Well the Browns signed RB Glenn Winston off of their practice squad and GM Ray Farmer liked him so consider that a wash that equals out the Robert Turbin release.

-------------------

. Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak 20h20 hours ago

#Browns activated rookie CB Charles Gaines (hamstring), RB Glenn Winston (knee) from injury lists. Roster spots were opened w/moves Monday.

-------------------
I think Crow looked a lot better last week against the Bengals. He was running harder than he has all year but the OC wasn't running the ball with McCown and he really didn't run it last week with Johnny but he's going to have to run more IMHO and I think Crow looked good. Just not sure how many carries he gets or if Johnny can move the team into very many red zone scoring opportunities.

I figured this would be the time they'd consider moving to Manziel if they weren't winning. McCown's injury just sped up the timeline a week.
coach is still trying to save his job, thinks Mccown will get more wins

the best move for the franchise is toroll with Mr football and see what he has

They just cannot afford to fire the coach and GM again. At some point you have to stand by a decision. Future candidates need to know they'll have time to prove themselves.

They just cannot afford to fire the coach and GM again. At some point you have to stand by a decision. Future candidates need to know they'll have time to prove themselves.
Teams that constantly spin their wheels will never gain any traction. Oakland could have fired McKenzie right away after his first two seasons looked so bad, but now that team looks to be heading in the right direction.

Teams that constantly spin their wheels will never gain any traction. Oakland could have fired McKenzie right away after his first two seasons looked so bad, but now that team looks to be heading in the right direction.
it is tough, because i do not know that they have a good coach or GM, but they'll never get one if your timeline for success is 2 years

coach is still trying to save his job, thinks Mccown will get more winsthe best move for the franchise is toroll with Mr football and see what he has
if they know Manziel can't do it then there is an argument for itml being best to stick with McCown to better eval the rest of the offense. I am frustrated with the lack of use of Duke though.

Duke is a playmaker. That's an example of a player I keep on my teams because I just enjoy watching him play. Get him on the field and use him.

News alert - the Browns already know what they have in Manziel.

Everybody in the organization does... except maybe the owner who perhaps had to have it shoved in his face.
Must read article that people have been talking. Former NFL DL Stephen White breaks down Manziel's game and he doesn't sugar coat his analysis.

Go to the link to see the photos and gifs that show visual evidence of what Johnny should see and what decisions he should be making and what he is doing. White knows what he's talking about so this is a fantastic article.

-------------

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start

"...Barnidge (red circle and red arrow, because come the hell on) is wide ### open up the seam on a play that looks to have been drawn up to get Barnidge wide ### open up the seam. The short slant route underneath and behind Barnidge gets the linebacker to sit.

There is nobody behind him to stop Barnidge from catching a touchdown.

This was not a hard read, and it would not have been a hard throw. The rush did not force Manziel to take off and run on this play either; he did that #### on his own.

That's why the Browns' coaching staff can't trust him and why Pettine wasn't happy even though his team had just scored.

Points are too precious in the NFL to give away some fo' sho' for some I don't know, but that's exactly what Manziel does every time he gives up on good plays and takes off running. When they draw up plays specifically to beat the opponent's coverage, offensive coordinators want the damn ball to go where it's supposed to because the plays work as designed. But they just don't know what they're going to get, even when you give Manziel the perfect frigging play."

coach is still trying to save his job, thinks Mccown will get more winsthe best move for the franchise is toroll with Mr football and see what he has
if they know Manziel can't do it then there is an argument for itml being best to stick with McCown to better eval the rest of the offense. I am frustrated with the lack of use of Duke though.
If they have made up their mind on Manziel, then I agree

if not evaluating him is the most important step. They have to decide if they have a QB or not, and if not they have to get one

News alert - the Browns already know what they have in Manziel.

Everybody in the organization does... except maybe the owner who perhaps had to have it shoved in his face.
there's a good chance no one in the organization, other than the owner, is going to be there next season

Will be nice to see Johnny (hopefully) start the rest of the way. We will get a top 2-3 pick because of it (maybe #1), plus we will get to really see him play.

If all the 2 win teams lose out, who gets the #1?

I forget the order of tie breakers for draft picks.

Ok, after a quick search:

1- First tie breaker is opponents strength of schedule. Team with worst strength of schedule picks 1st

2- Division record

3- conference record

4- coin toss

BREAKING NEWS!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000582109/article/browns-to-start-johnny-manziel-at-qb-for-rest-of-season

Browns to start Johnny Manziel at QB for rest of season​

• By Around The NFL NFL.com
  • Published: Nov. 17, 2015 at 10:50 a.m.l
  • By Around The NFL NFL.com

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports the Cleveland Browns will start Johnny Manziel at quarterback for the remainder of the season, according to a source informed of the Browns' plans.

Jay Glazer first reported the news.

Around The NFL will have more on this story shortly.

So is this the FO way of showing support to Manziel, but ultimately giving up on the season to secure the 1st pick in the draft?

Last year he looked the biggest bust in Browns history. Didn't know the play or playbook, was looking and moving in wrong directions, constantly looking to the sidelines in a 'Help me' way. Didn't recognize pressure to the point he is up to now. Then the meltdown at the end of last year before his injury and the offseason rehab.

This year he got shoved-in and looked 'better' than last year up to the Bengal game where it looked like he would never be a pocket passer but in one week. Against Pittsburgh he connected on all 12 of his 12 pocket passes and he looked good. He has the arm, the accuracy, and he knows the plays and is great at recognizing pressure and scrambling. He still has to show a lot more in terms of finding guys who are open and in recognizing his receiver breaks and pulling the trigger but in one week he showed a vast improvement. It really was impressive.

Despite what some young people felt last year when the partying got out of hand we all know by now tht the off-field issues are legit. The kid could wind up in NFL substance protocol if he isn't already in it and one more off-field incident gets him that much closer to a suspension or worse.

I'm not going to put any labels on him because I've seen enough to realize this kid has got some baseline ability to work with and he has shown he will work and put in effort but at the same time he's got to dump the college partying crowd and act like a real NFL starting quarterback.

So is this the FO way of showing support to Manziel, but ultimately giving up on the season to secure the 1st pick in the draft?
Not at all.

You dont need to support Johnny at all to know it makes sense to see what he has. It might be the only way to keep their jobs. If he shows SOMETHING they can try to say they found their QB and maybe be given another year.

bingo.
Not really, if this team is picking #1 then they're probably getting fired. This is management's hail mary to save their jobs.
I didnt read this before my last post. Agreed.

If they went back to Mccown that does NOTHING for anyone, especially Farmer, no matter how they finish up.

Users who are viewing this thread