What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (16 Viewers)

Bowe was not the worst FA signing of all time.
Might be an interesting thread, but who do you have in mind?Without a lot of research, I'll vote for Albert Haynesworth. Multiple-time winner.
A much more depriving nomination.I hated the Bowe signing even back in March, but worst ever? Nah.
Its Andre Rison. He killed the old Browns and forced the move and all of this misery in the first place.

Bowe was not the worst FA signing of all time.
I think he was, but my criteria are probably different than yours.

I know guys have signed for a LOOOOOT more money and done jack squat, but Bowe was D-O-N-E before we even signed him, and he got that much money, and couldnt even see the field without being hurt.

It would have been a terrible signing for the league minimum, let alone whatever ungodly amount they wasted on him

Oh and if the jacked-up structure of Sashi Brown having final say over the roster sounds completely whacked, it is. Not only because top qualified candidates would balk at not having final control but that is reason enough to get rid of that stipulation.

-------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero 15m15 minutes ago
So by proclaiming Sashi Brown will have roster control, Jimmy Haslam has already thrown a lot of quality candidates out of the pool.

-------

But the other reaosn is Jimmy has screwed the pooch with that structure because according to NFL by-laws if the Browns have someone who has final say on the roster then other NFL teams do not have to grant us permission to interview their scouts.

-----------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero 19m19 minutes ago
Great point just raised by an NFL exec: no 53-man roster say means teams don't have to let their scouts interview for #Browns "GM" job.

-----------

So that is going to seriously hamper any GM search and the fact Jimmy has said he wants to hire the head coach BEFORE the GM also puts a dagger into landing a top GM candidate because many GM candidates want to make the call on the HC or have input but that would be impossible if we hire the HC first.

Oh and if the jacked-up structure of Sashi Brown having final say over the roster sounds completely whacked, it is. Not only because top qualified candidates would balk at not having final control but that is reason enough to get rid of that stipulation.

-------

So by proclaiming Sashi Brown will have roster control, Jimmy Haslam has already thrown a lot of quality candidates out of the pool.

-------

But the other reaosn is Jimmy has screwed the pooch with that structure because according to NFL by-laws if the Browns have someone who has final say on the roster then other NFL teams do not have to grant us permission to interview their scouts.

-----------

Great point just raised by an NFL exec: no 53-man roster say means teams don't have to let their scouts interview for #Browns "GM" job.

-----------

So that is going to seriously hamper any GM search and the fact Jimmy has said he wants to hire the head coach BEFORE the GM also puts a dagger into landing a top GM candidate because many GM candidates want to make the call on the HC or have input but that would be impossible if we hire the HC first.
Unless he already knows who he is hiring so it doesnt matter.

Can only hope right?

-------

-------

-----------

-----------

Unless he already knows who he is hiring so it doesnt matter.

Can only hope right?
This sums it up.

============

Chris Rose@ChrisRose 39m39 minutes ago
Browns fire coach & GM. QB is AWOL. A lawyer is picking roster. I thought it was hard for me to feel worse about my team than when I woke up

-------

-------

-----------

-----------

exactly. this isn't going to go well.

see you guys in two years when we fire the next coach and GM!

Have to see how this all shakes out, but for now...

We've known for a while Pettine and Farmer did not see eye to eye on many things. They couldn't work together. "Collaborate" has been all over the place tonight. So the firings were necessary. Ghostguy gets part 1 of his dream. Whether the new regime trades the farm, we shall see.

Now moving forward we've basically, in a nutshell, gone back to the Banner/Lombardi regime structure. We have this figurehead who's not really a football guy with final say. The difference this time is it was 100% Jimmy's decision to pick that guy. This is HIS guy. I know basically nothing about Sashi, except for what Jimmy said about him and a few blurbs about him on the radio. Based on those few things, he seems less qualified than anyone that I've ever known to make final roster decisions. I hope this means this guy truly will be more of a leader and not filling out the draft pick cards. But I have no idea how far down the rung we'll have to look for a GM now. The selling point we mention here time to time is there are only a finite number of these positions available. Maybe someone decent will want to pounce on it. Doubt it.

Grossi says the coach will report to Jimmy and the GM will report to Sashi. Trying to unpack this. No idea here.

Seems like we'll only be able to bring in another first time coach with this setup. Marrone and Gase will be interviewed, and the Lions DC. I'm betting these won't be our coach in the end.

Amazing. The last time when I said "it cant possibly get any worse can it?"...............I really truly TRULY thought it couldnt (also thought that the previous 7 times I said it the past year or so).

But it currently is. I will say it again just for fun.

It can't POSSIBLY get any worse

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when you thought Cleveland had locked up the "most dysfunctional" title, they double down and go for the lifetime achievement award.

Weird that the NFL apparently can dictate ownership structure to the Titans, but can't force Haslam to use a sane, traditional power structure for his front office.

-------

-------

-----------

-----------

Check out Pete Smith's timeline. I'm pessimistic, but trying to keep an open mind. Good stuff there about Sashi and the supposed plan,

Have to see how this all shakes out, but for now...

We've known for a while Pettine and Farmer did not see eye to eye on many things. They couldn't work together. "Collaborate" has been all over the place tonight. So the firings were necessary. Ghostguy gets part 1 of his dream. Whether the new regime trades the farm, we shall see.

Now moving forward we've basically, in a nutshell, gone back to the Banner/Lombardi regime structure. We have this figurehead who's not really a football guy with final say. The difference this time is it was 100% Jimmy's decision to pick that guy. This is HIS guy. I know basically nothing about Sashi, except for what Jimmy said about him and a few blurbs about him on the radio. Based on those few things, he seems less qualified than anyone that I've ever known to make final roster decisions. I hope this means this guy truly will be more of a leader and not filling out the draft pick cards. But I have no idea how far down the rung we'll have to look for a GM now. The selling point we mention here time to time is there are only a finite number of these positions available. Maybe someone decent will want to pounce on it. Doubt it.

Grossi says the coach will report to Jimmy and the GM will report to Sashi. Trying to unpack this. No idea here.

Seems like we'll only be able to bring in another first time coach with this setup. Marrone and Gase will be interviewed, and the Lions DC. I'm betting these won't be our coach in the end.
Lane Adkins has said it without saying it, but he's a big fan of the personnel department. The now fired regime just didn't listen to them enough. Argument for Sashi being more open to the info they give him.

-------

-------

-----------

-----------

Check out Pete Smith's timeline. I'm pessimistic, but trying to keep an open mind. Good stuff there about Sashi and the supposed plan,
The club's PR team already pumped out a piece on Sashi.

Our scouting department has/had some of the most experienced guys in the league and we got high marks so the failures of the first round picks made no sense to me.

The Sashi Brown article.

--------------------

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Sashi-Brown-named-Browns-executive-VP-of-football-operations/a7f4dc8c-5811-407a-923d-921a211f3068

Sashi Brown named Browns executive VP of football operationsPosted 15 minutes ago

Sashi Brown has been named the Browns’ executive vice president of football operations and will be a main part of the team’s four-person committee to find a new head coach.

Brown will join owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and Jed Hughes of the international consulting firm Korn Ferry in the search, which has commenced immediately following Sunday’s removal of Mike Pettine from the position.

The Browns will hire a coach first and then follow with the hiring of a general manager to replace Ray Farmer. The coach will be involved in the search for the general manager, who will be in charge of the Browns’ scouting department. Brown will work together with the new general manager to make the best possible decisions on the makeup of the Browns’ 53-man roster.

“Sashi, I believe is the right person to do this for the Cleveland Browns,” Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said at a Sunday news conference. “He’s been in the NFL for 10 plus years, has been involved in the cap, has been heavily involved in our football administration and operations for the last year or two. He’s very smart, very organized, good at systems and processes and an outstanding team player. He’s also very strategic, so we will use those skills and working for him will be a GM whose primary job will be talent acquisition.”

Brown has been with the Browns since January 2013 serving as the team’s executive vice president-general counsel. He spent the previous eight years with the Jacksonville Jaguars as the team’s general counsel. In March, Brown, a Boston native and Harvard Law graduate, was named to Sports Business Journal’s “Forty under 40” list.

“If you look at the Cleveland Browns and this is prior to our arrival and during the time period we’ve been involved with the team, we have not been good at talent acquisition and if you look at the teams that are successful, they’re very good at talent acquisition,” Haslam said. “That’s something that we have to get right and we think this set-up with somebody with a background in systems, processes, analytics and very strategic married up with a football person, if you will, who is very good at talent evaluation will hopefully put us in a position to win a lot more games than we have in the past.”

As he prepared to implement this structure for the Browns’ front office moving forward, Haslam looked at what the league’s premier teams have utilized during their years of success. He saw the Patriots, Packers and Seahawks thrive with different structures in place.

Each group found success because of the quality of people who were put in their respective roles and how they worked together, regardless of structure. Haslam expects more harmony with this set-up, and it starts with Brown in his new role.

“I think there’s an opportunity for us to work much closer together going forward than we have in the past,” Haslam said.

-------

-------

-----------

-----------

Good read, thanks.

Ok, so going a little backwards with the conventional way and going coach THEN GM. Is this a HUGE problem? I mean, I know it's not the way things are generally done, but I am also not 100% sure why it's rarely (if ever) done this way.

Can someone enlighten me? Can it work this way?

Ok, so going a little backwards with the conventional way and going coach THEN GM. Is this a HUGE problem? I mean, I know it's not the way things are generally done, but I am also not 100% sure why it's rarely (if ever) done this way.

Can someone enlighten me? Can it work this way?
Doesn't sound promising.

------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout 3h3 hours ago
Good luck hiring a quality HC or GM to work under this Browns structure.

------------------

The only saving grace I heard in the press conference from JImmy is he flatly says this is going to be a multi-year rebuild. Yay! Be honest. This is a multi-year rebuild so that means he will stick with any HC he hires so any candidate know he will get at least three years since Pettine got two.

It is 'possible' this could work even if it sounds like a terrible plan.

Ok, so if the coach is hired first and gets to "pick" the GM or whatever, wouldn't that mean it would be more attractive to potential COACHES that way?

Just a question, I really have no idea.

The coach isn't picking the GM. The coach will join Sashi, Jimmy, Jimmy's wife and the headhunter firm to find the GM.

Ok, so if the coach is hired first and gets to "pick" the GM or whatever, wouldn't that mean it would be more attractive to potential COACHES that way?

Just a question, I really have no idea.
Well if you were a HC and YOU got some say in picking the GM who is going to supply you with talent so you can run your schemes then I think you would like that however Sashi Brown is the one with final say on personnel matters so I dunno how a HC candidate would feel about that.

You would think they'd be more concerned about the owner and what his deal is or the roster and how much say he'll have with Johnny Manziel and if he can pick his quarterback and how much say he would have on the roster.

Also any potential candidate is probably doing their due-diligence on Sashi Brown.

------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout 2h2 hours ago
Matt Miller Retweeted Marcus Coleman

No background in football scouting, coaching, personnel.

Marcus Coleman@Patchmc42
Does anyone know if Sashi Brown is a football guy or knows how to select personnel or evaluate talent ?

Marcus Coleman @Patchmc42Texas Tech All-American DB, Texas Tech HOF, NFL Vet of 11 years Jets, Texans, Cowboys, Sports Talk Host, Motivational Speaker, Chelsea FC Supporter

Marcus Coleman@Patchmc42 2h2 hours ago
Brown, who has no background in scouting, coaching or personnel has final say &Browns are still hiring a GM after HC ? Its your world champ.

Last edited by a moderator:
The coach isn't picking the GM. The coach will join Sashi, Jimmy, Jimmy's wife and the headhunter firm to find the GM.
So the coach would supposedly have SOME say in the GM search, right?

I am just asking if this would be more attractive to a potential coach than already havin a GM in place.

Ok everyone is going ape #### over the "final say" stuff.

Now, I will TRY and be optimistic about this, but couldn't "final say" just mean he is approving whatever the GM wants, so long as the contract itself meets whatever criteria he needs to meet to sign it? Like some sort of contract guru or something?

Now, I will TRY and be optimistic about this, but couldn't "final say" just mean he is approving whatever the GM wants, so long as the contract itself meets whatever criteria he needs to meet to sign it? Like some sort of contract guru or something?
Haslam's presser just put the final nail in this franchise for the next 3 years minimum.

Let's hear him talk, but that would be one optimistic way to approach it. The way I see it, one of his objectives would be to keep the coach and the GM in line and on the same page. "Collaborate". The apparent reporting structure (HC-Jimmy and GM-Sashi) sort of blurs that, but we'll have to see. Go read that twitter timeline Mac posted about above. Go to about 10pm where the guy got a phone call and read upwards. Sashi should also listen to the "experts" (scouts) that do the grunt work, like Elway does in Denver. Apparently that was one of Farmer's downfalls.

I am HOPING final say means just that, final say. Not that he is involved in actually drafting or free agent activity other than just the final approval for the contract.

Hopefully he would just have final say, and NO OTHER SAY in the matter. If that makes sense.

Any other openings besides SF, MIA, and PHI that we are currently competing against? That list should double if not triple.

Well the thing is this. I think we all know Jimmy, who has even less football knowledge or credibility than Sashi Brown, had final say on the trade-up and selection of Johnny Manziel. I'm pretty sure everyone knew he had final say so if anything, this could be an improvement but its still viewed as someone who bought a team and he doesn't have a clue how to run a team.

Check out the pod from Mary Kay Cabot and Tom Labbe. MKC says she's getting texts and e-mails from all over from people who cover teams basically asking WTF is Jimmy doing?

LINK to the pod>> http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/01/mary_kay_cabot_talks_about_the_11.html

I think Jimmy wants a Joe Banner type of structure but Joe actually worked in the NFL for decades whereas Sashi Brown??? I mean come on. I can see why people are questioning this move.

The team seriously needs a strong in-house presence but Sashi lacks gravitas.

The best thing is they have hired a search team for the new HC and they have an excellent track record.

Mary Kay says they are going to go hard after Jon Gruden. She also is complimentary of some of the picks and mentioned Duke Johnson but said she had a story on who was behind that pick and she'll save that for another day.

She thinks Manziel is gone.

Manziel is definitely gone.

Yeah, all of this looks really stupid like Haslam is just throwing things around during a drunk bender.

I am just trying to see if it even has a chance of actually working.

Maybe he knew he cant get a real GM, so is trying to make it look more appealing for a coach, who knows.

I mean, really, who knows. It cant get any worse, right? Right???

Are we even ahead of where an expansion team would be if they entered the league right now? Sick
Oh for gosh sakes yes.

Do you remember what we had in 99? We sure didn't have Joe Thomas, or Joel Bitonio, or Duke Johnson, or Gary Barnidge, or Nate Orchard, etc. We had nothing. We're so much better than that and...... I don't want to give you any hope but yeah, we could easily turn it around in three years if we hit on the HC and get the QB.

As a young associate at the Washington, D.C., law firm Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr, Sashi Brown didn’t go looking for sports work so much as it found him.

“I wish I could tell you there was some well-thought-out, sophisticated plan, but there really wasn’t,” Brown said. “I was doing traditional corporate work. Venture capital and private equity. I got an opportunity to start working on some sports transactions.

“It piqued my interest.”

When Brown started at Wilmer in 2002, its corporate practice was headed by **** Cass, now president of the Baltimore Ravens and whose sports work included Jerry Jones’ purchase of the Dallas Cowboys, the sale of the Washington Redskins to Dan Snyder, and Steve Bisciotti’s purchase of the Ravens. Brown did some work on Bisciotti’s buyout of Art Modell to complete his purchase of the team, as well as on the sale of a minority interest in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment and on some sponsorship contracts for the Dallas Cowboys.

“I started peeking under the hood of what clubs deal with day to day, what makes some good or bad, and at some league issues,” Brown said. “It was all interesting to learn about.”

Brown left the firm in 2005 for an in-house counsel job with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He made the move to Cleveland in 2013. With the Browns, he has expanded his responsibilities to include both business and football, dealing with sponsor, media and facility negotiations as well as cap management issues.

“I really enjoy both sides of the business,” Brown said. “As I move forward, I would hope to continue in that sort of role and not get pushed to either side.”

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/03/30/Forty-Under-40/Sashi-Brown.aspx

Screw it. I'll take Chip Kelly.

Just don't let him have control of the roster and trades.

Chip, you just coach. He might actually be ok if he just does that.

WHat will probably happen though is Haslam will hire Chip to be GM. Haslam style.

I posted this elsewhere which sums up my feelings on the situation:

Hearing what Cleveland has in mind for the next iteration of awful might be the final straw for me. They've relegated their fan base to casual observers and now, in a fit of absolute brilliance they promote a non-football guy (Sashi Brown) to VP of Football Operations with the thought that he will hire the new head coach who will then work in tandem with Sashi to hire the General Manager. Not sure I want to spend the next 20 years watching the clown carousel go round & round. Honorable mention goes to Johnny Manziel & Dwayne Bowe as the cherry on top of the sundae and the dot on the exclamation point of futility that was the 2015 season.

I forgot to throw Justin Gilbert in there. It's just difficult to get behind this kind of decision making. I'm about 30 years into this organization, I've seen the good and the bad. I've already kind of dismissed the team to a certain degree living in Charlotte but find me some nugget to hold onto here, something, anything. I just don't see it. Haslam is setting himself up as Jerry Jones light and it just isn't going to work. I know there will be those that are optimistic about this somehow but I can't. It's just not going to work, no way, no how. Much like the ghostguy & Chris Rose I didn't think it could get any worse and lo & behold the Browns yet again sink to a new low.

Interesting.

Three of the top playoff seeds have coaches that were not considered top head coaching candidates.

These guys had been passed over many times so even if we don't get the top guy or one of the hot names it could turn out to be a serendipitous hire.

------------------

Eric Edholm@Eric_Edholm 10h10 hours ago
Ron Rivera, Bruce Arians, Mike Zimmer — the coaches other teams interviewed and didn't want — are coaching your top 3 seeds.

------------------

Broken clocks show correct time twice a day, blind squirrels, etc.

Point is, it is possible that we could 'get lucky' in the HC search.

Also we haven't had a pick this high since the turn of the millennium in Y2K. We have only picked ONE QB this high in the entire history of the Cleveland Browns and that was Tim Couch with the 1st pick in 1999. Quinn/Weeden/Drunken Humonculous (Manziel) were all 22nd picks and not considered top-ten talents.

At this time the only QB who 'could' be considered a top-ten talent is Goff and he's not rated in the same class as Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota from last year.

Even with Haslam we have a chance to come out of this with two of the four crucial pieces needed to turn the ship around. Unfortunately one of the pieces is having solid ownership in place but you can win in spurts in spite of terrible ownership but you really do need solid-stable ownership in place so hopefully Dee Haslam takes over from Jimmy.

I'm serious. I really hope Dee Haslam takes over and then we can focus in on fourth piece of building a dominating defense.

calling it now: 5 years from now-

Haslam: "I'd like to announce that we are firing our coach. Jimmy Haslam will be our new coach. He will report directly to the GM, Jimmy Haslam. The GM will report to the Senior Vice President of Football opperations, which is Jimmy Haslam. I will then report to the owner. Me."

calling it now: 5 years from now-

Haslam: "I'd like to announce that we are firing our coach. Jimmy Haslam will be our new coach. He will report directly to the GM, Jimmy Haslam. The GM will report to the Senior Vice President of Football opperations, which is Jimmy Haslam. I will then report to the owner. Me."
Besides the coach part, you might be right.

I want to go back to this one point:

"Because Brown will have 53-man roster control, other teams can block their scouts from interviewing for the "GM" job – instantly removing many quality candidates from the pool."

I'm looking at the word "scout". So anyone with "Player Personnel" or "Football Operations" or "Asst. GM" in their titles are fair game?

I want to go back to this one point:

"Because Brown will have 53-man roster control, other teams can block their scouts from interviewing for the "GM" job – instantly removing many quality candidates from the pool."

I'm looking at the word "scout". So anyone with "Player Personnel" or "Football Operations" or "Asst. GM" in their titles are fair game?
Florio made it sound more broad:

Browns may have made it harder to hire a G.M.Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2016, 12:34 AM EST
Getty ImagesApart from the reality that giving lawyer-turned-football-executive Sashi Brown final say over the roster will make the Cleveland G.M. job less attractive to G.M.

candidates who are at the top of the G.M. industry, the decision to elevate Brown to the top non-coaching football position within the Browns will make it harder to hire someone currently under contract with another team.

Because Sashi Brown has control over the 53-man roster, the Cleveland G.M. position doesn’t qualify for the portion of the tampering policy that allows a team to hire as G.M. someone currently working for another team, without permission from that team.

Which means that if the Browns target an up-and-coming scout or director of college scouting or director of pro personnel or any other person under contract with another team, the other team can refuse to let the person be interviewed and hired.

It means that the Browns will either have to hire someone that another team doesn’t want to keep, or they’ll have to hire someone who currently isn’t employed.

Whether the Browns thought that specific wrinkle through remains to be seen. If they didn’t, it definitely could put a crimp in their plans for interviewing G.M. candidates.

Thought that didn't make much sense. Oh boy, so the pool of scouts is out the door.

Anyways, I'd think if the person wanted to interview, the other team would allow it, in most cases.

Thought that didn't make much sense. Oh boy, so the pool of scouts is out the door.

Anyways, I'd think if the person wanted to interview, the other team would allow it, in most cases.
i would think so, and we cannot be sure that florio is correct.

If so, though, it is a pretty big tactical blunder

It's not only the permission thing though. Top candidates aren't going to want to take a GM position where they already start off somewhat emasculated by not having final say on roster decisions.

It's not only the permission thing though. Top candidates aren't going to want to take a GM position where they already start off somewhat emasculated by not having final say on roster decisions.
very true

Interesting.

Three of the top playoff seeds have coaches that were not considered top head coaching candidates.

These guys had been passed over many times so even if we don't get the top guy or one of the hot names it could turn out to be a serendipitous hire.

------------------

Eric Edholm@Eric_Edholm 10h10 hours ago
Ron Rivera, Bruce Arians, Mike Zimmer — the coaches other teams interviewed and didn't want — are coaching your top 3 seeds.

------------------
I think a whole lot of people considered all three of those guys HC material and didn't understand why it took so long for them to get the chance. Especially the last two.

Users who are viewing this thread