What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (14 Viewers)

Easy, killer. Crow was terrible for most of the year.
like I said... ended the season pretty hot.

4.9ypc average against PIT, KC, SEA, SF, CIN
I thought he only ran well vs. SF and KC. Pedestrian in the others, which was progress vs. the rest of the season but the new coaching staff banking on his December going into next season seems reckless to me, especially considering Hue mentioned this as one of the most important positions on the offense. That's why I expect someone else to be brought in. Crow will probably be given an opportunity to beat whoever that is out in camp, but I'd be very surprised if he's given anything more than that before July.

I thought he only ran well vs. SF and KC. Pedestrian in the others, which was progress vs. the rest of the season but the new coaching staff banking on his December going into next season seems reckless to me, especially considering Hue mentioned this as one of the most important positions on the offense. That's why I expect someone else to be brought in. Crow will probably be given an opportunity to beat whoever that is out in camp, but I'd be very surprised if he's given anything more than that before July.
I would expect that someone to be the already signed Terrell Watson. Last thing you do with a bad team is pay big $ for some RB.

I would expect that someone to be the already signed Terrell Watson. Last thing you do with a bad team is pay big $ for some RB.
I highly doubt a big name free agent is pursued, but tier 2? day 2/early day 3 draft pick? Sure. If we get to May 1 and no meaningful back has been added I will be very surprised.

calling it now: 5 years from now-

Haslam: "I'd like to announce that we are firing our coach. Jimmy Haslam will be our new coach. He will report directly to the GM, Jimmy Haslam. The GM will report to the Senior Vice President of Football opperations, which is Jimmy Haslam. I will then report to the owner. Me."
Outside of Jerry Jones of the Cowboys, no other NFL owners attend the Senior Bowl...

Until now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2611207-insider-buzz-haslam-at-senior-bowl-taking-more-hands-on-role-with-browns?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-150

Insider Buzz: Haslam at Senior Bowl Taking More 'Hands-On' Role with Browns By Team Stream Now, B/R Video Jan 26, 2016...Cleveland Browns owner Jim Haslam is currently in Alabama for the Senior Bowl, as part of his new initiative to take a more "hands-on approach" to get his struggling franchise back on track.

Haslam: "I'd like to announce that we are firing our coach. Jimmy Haslam will be our new coach. He will report directly to the GM, Jimmy Haslam. The GM will report to the Senior Vice President of Football opperations, which is Jimmy Haslam. I will then report to the owner. Me."
Outside of Jerry Jones of the Cowboys, no other NFL owners attend the Senior Bowl...

Until now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2611207-insider-buzz-haslam-at-senior-bowl-taking-more-hands-on-role-with-browns?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-150

Insider Buzz: Haslam at Senior Bowl Taking More 'Hands-On' Role with Browns By Team Stream Now, B/R VideoJan 26, 2016...Cleveland Browns owner Jim Haslam is currently in Alabama for the Senior Bowl, as part of his new initiative to take a more "hands-on approach" to get his struggling franchise back on track.
I'm not sure if an owner modeling himself after Jerry Jones is what I'd want as a fan.

From draft day, minutes after we took Manziel.

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet3 mins

Owner Jimmy Haslam made no secret of his love for Johnny Manziel. Scouts convinced him it couldn’t be at No. 4. So it’s 22.

At least we have two-first round picks next year in case this doesn't work out.

What did we give up in the trade?
Yesterday.

------------

Keith Britton@KeithBritton86 21h21 hours ago
.@DustinFox37 says source in know at Sr Bowl told him Manziel was "100%" Ray Farmer pick. Others in building fought for Derek Carr #Browns

-------------

Thoughts?

Do people think that the pick of Manziel was Jimmy or Ray?

Honestly don't care whose pick it was.

We're getting Goff now, and I couldn't be happier. Of course, Carr 2yrs ago wouldve been just as sweet... But I'm over it.

There's nothing to gain in this finger pointing game. Who cares anymore? It sucks, but it happened. This isn't the first bad pick the Browns FO has made, and it won't be the last. I just hope they learn from it and move forward.

If the pick was 100% Farmer and Jimmy Haslam had 0% to do with the pick then noting who is responsible for the pic isn't finger pointing.

I doubt the report that the pick was 100% all Ray Farmer since wide-spread reports noted that Jimmy Haslam wanted Manziel and our QB coach said days after the draft that Jimmy made the comment about moving up to make sure he could get Manziel in the War room right before we made the trade to move-up for Johnny.

Who made that call 'could' have a direct impact on who might make the call in this draft.

But that's just it. There is no 100% proof as to who said what. You had the ex-QB coach and now this "un-named" source. You've had people say that Farmer was in Haslam's backpocket his entire tenure, and that Farmer was a lap-dog. Others say Farmer stood on his own and made his own decisions.

At this point its all water under the bridge. There's a new FO in place full of Harvard grads that are willing to study and work with the HC to find the best suited players, IMO. There is a new structure in place that is different than the last. Why spend time speculating and finger-pointing. My only hope for them is that the new FO learns from the mistakes of the last FO. Of course this is the same wish I've had for Cleveland for over a decade and a half, so what do I know...

But that's just it. There is no 100% proof as to who said what. You had the ex-QB coach and now this "un-named" source. You've had people say that Farmer was in Haslam's backpocket his entire tenure, and that Farmer was a lap-dog. Others say Farmer stood on his own and made his own decisions.

At this point its all water under the bridge. There's a new FO in place full of Harvard grads that are willing to study and work with the HC to find the best suited players, IMO. There is a new structure in place that is different than the last. Why spend time speculating and finger-pointing. My only hope for them is that the new FO learns from the mistakes of the last FO. Of course this is the same wish I've had for Cleveland for over a decade and a half, so what do I know...
Farmer was a first time GM. He was hired after Banner and Lombardi got canned. He was not considered for the GM role when he was originally hired. His moves in his first draft seemed to differ to the HC with the trade-down and selection of the CB to fit Pettine's scheme and then the trade-up and selection of Manziel to suit Haslam's desires.

Now we just hired a 28 year old guy who has never even run a college scouting department to be our pro personnel director. Obviously, he's never been a GM before. And we have reports that Jimmy Haslam will take a more 'hands-on' approach with the team and he was spotted at the Senior Bowl. The only other NFL Owner at the Senior Bowl was Jerry Jones which means he is taking a more 'hands-on' approach since he was absent at that scouting event up to this year.

Until now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2611207-insider-buzz-haslam-at-senior-bowl-taking-more-hands-on-role-with-browns?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-150Insider Buzz: Haslam at Senior Bowl Taking More 'Hands-On' Role with Browns By Team Stream Now, B/R Video

Jan 26, 2016

...Cleveland Browns owner Jim Haslam is currently in Alabama for the Senior Bowl, as part of his new initiative to take a more "hands-on approach" to get his struggling franchise back on track.
I'm not sure if an owner modeling himself after Jerry Jones is what I'd want as a fan.
Very true.That said, I believe the Browns conducted multiple interviews down at the Senior Bowl and actually made a personell hire. Let's not jump to too many conclusions here. I can guarantee Haslam was there for the interviews. Nobody can guarantee he was also there to tell the Harvard grads who to draft.

I'm really warming up to Wentz as a Brown. Not that I was negative before. I just didn't know much about him.
Over Goff? No way
What the heck?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/report-browns-idea-qb-no-2-not-goff

Report: Browns like idea of QB at No. 2, but not Goff
January 29, 2016, 12:45 pm

...The team reportedly is fond of Wentz's arm strength and ability to zip the ball.

If available, it is believed the Browns would select Wentz over California quarterback Jared Goff, who is more known for his accuracy.

That report is loco. Just whack

If all the Browns care about is arm strength, we'd trade for kaep

Last edited by a moderator:
Wentz didn't look too bad at the Senior Bowl. It's still early, but I'm fine with either Wentz or Goff right now.

I think you guys will really warm up to Wentz.

Kid is super smart, dedicated to football, and one heck of a leader.

Add in the physical attributes and he's everything Manziel isn't.

Can't go wrong with either Goff or Wentz, IMO.

"Can't go wrong" on a team where every possible thing has gone wrong for like 10 years or more.

Meh, flip a coin, super bowl either way

LOL

Okay, for any other franchise either Goff or Wentz would be the right choice.

Whichever the Browns choose will be the wrong one. So I hope they choose Goff.

Statement from Cleveland Browns EVP of Football Operations Sashi Brown on Johnny Manziel

"We've been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field. Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules. We will have no further comment at this time."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Statement-from-Cleveland-Browns-EVP-of-Football-Operations-Sashi-Brown-on-Johnny-Manziel/df6a9b4e-48e3-4095-9f77-3ed4f0c23e60

Really hope if Gordon comes back strong, that they lock him up w a nice incentive laden contract

Him and Goff could really be something special

Good move if the team just dumps him. A 7th round pick is not as important, imo, as sending a message that this is not the same team that put yup with his crap and they won't put up with crap going forward.
I definitely see where you are coming from, but that they'd get simply a 7th just tells me he was getting dumped anyways. That could be the next thing Hue addresses with the full team. He was a goner fellas, let that be your warning.

Good move if the team just dumps him. A 7th round pick is not as important, imo, as sending a message that this is not the same team that put yup with his crap and they won't put up with crap going forward.
I definitely see where you are coming from, but that they'd get simply a 7th just tells me he was getting dumped anyways. That could be the next thing Hue addresses with the full team. He was a goner fellas, let that be your warning.
Yup

send a message, start changing the culture. And do not forget they may have a WR with issues coming back who is WAY more talented than Johnny. It cannot hurt to send him a subtle message saying fly straight or get out, even if it is a bluff.

B-Deep said:
Bobcat10 said:
B-Deep said:
Yup

send a message, start changing the culture. And do not forget they may have a WR with issues coming back who is WAY more talented than Johnny. It cannot hurt to send him a subtle message saying fly straight or get out, even if it is a bluff.
Cutting him rather than trading him for any pick, even a 7th round pick in 2045, does not send a message to anyone. Just letting you guys know.

I have no idea why people think stuff like this sends a message to anyone.

B-Deep said:
Bobcat10 said:
B-Deep said:
Yup

Cutting him rather than trading him for any pick, even a 7th round pick in 2045, does not send a message to anyone. Just letting you guys know.

I have no idea why people think stuff like this sends a message to anyone.
there is no market for him anyway, so it is irrelevant. He is going to get cut so why give up anything for him?

but when 1/2 the people are saying Jounnhy is acting up to become a Cowboy and you trade him to the cowboys, yeah, people notice

There is one thing Cleveland needs to do, change the culture. Coaches who have taken over bad teams and made them good discuss it a lot. Changing the culture is about changing the way people inside the organization think, how they act, and what they expect of each other.I believe cutting him is a step in that direction. The former structure made excuses, tolerated, and enabled him continually. Change the culture, accountability on the field and off for every man.

So, I disagree with you. But as I said, no one is trading for him anyway. The Browns made it clear he'll be a free agent, so if someone wants him they'll sign him to a very small deal with incentives and protections. No one is afraid of a bidding war for an undersized problem-child quarterback who may not even have the talent to play in this league

So you want them to send a message to themselves by cutting him? Sashi Brown says to cut him so that Sashi Brown can have a message sent to himself?

As I said, cutting him (as opposed to making an attempt to trade him) does not send any sort of message to anyone in any way at all.

I agree nobody will trade for him, but it does no harm to make the attempt to trade him, and there is no lacking of a message being sent by doing so. There are no excuses being made, nothing is being tolerated, nobody is enabling anybody, and there is absolutely no lack of culture change by attempting to trade the guy.

It actually makes more sense in terms of culture change to make a smart decision and get something for a guy you are going to get rid of rather than just cutting him.

Keep in mind, the people that actually think Johnny is acting up just to get cut/traded to be able to play for the Cowboys are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

On a more relevant note, that puppet MKC made it appear Travis Benjamin is close to a deal.
Good. I just hope it;s WR-3 money like it should be
We won't be anywhere near the cap for a while. Paying a small premium to retain our own is a whole lot better than watching Skrine, Sheard, Ward, etc. balling elsewhere.
I wont be upset if they over pay him some, I just don't think they should have to. I don't view him as some hot commodity that other teams will go hard after.

Cap cuts can/will change things, but as is the WR market is pretty dry after Alshon. I don't think any of them have Benjamin's skill set either.

Cap cuts can/will change things, but as is the WR market is pretty dry after Alshon. I don't think any of them have Benjamin's skill set either.
yeah, kinda sucks, but we do sort of have to keep him, and probably over pay.

Not super mandatory considering new coaches=new playbook, but just the human element of keeping him around seems important enough to over pay some. It is what it is.

I don't mean to alarm you Browns fans but this mock has you getting Goff and Doctson.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/feb/03/2016-nfl-mock-draft-bosa-tunsil-three-rounds/

Watch this video on Goff vs Texas

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-goff-vs-texas-2015/

Now watch this video on Doctson vs WVU (just went with the newest video. Check out the his game against Texas Tech if you want his best game.)

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/josh-doctson-vs-wvu-2015/

*Doctson played Texas too. 7/129/2

The Browns get this duo plus maybe Gordon, oh my. Oh my.

Users who are viewing this thread