What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (15 Viewers)

Todd Haley, anyone?
Haley > McAdoo > Mularkey > Hue calling his own plays

With that said, I don't see Hue letting guys like Haley or McAdoo anywhere near the OC job.  I'm sure he'd claim "coaching" or "personality" conflicts.

Todd Haley, anyone?
PatMcManamon‏Verified account @PatMcManamon

FollowFollow @PatMcManamon

The Browns are in discussions with Mike Mularkey about the team's offensive coordinator position. Mularkey coached the Tennessee TItans for three seasons, but he and the team parted ways this morning. Mularkey would bring an experienced voice and... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40015470-4 …

6:04 PM - 15 Jan 2018

=================

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom

FollowFollow @SigmundBloom

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Teams will line up to get him on their staff

Sigmund Bloom added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

Sources: The #Steelers are allowing OC Todd Haley to walk now that he’s out of his contract. Pittsburgh expected to have a new OC.

9:16 AM - 17 Jan 2018

====================

He's got a solid O-Line, Ben, AB, and Bell so it is difficult to say how much is him but he knows the division and is very experienced.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to pass the time is this running view on what CLE can do over the offseason.  The author is putting together 7 different scenarios that could happen this offseason using both FA and the Draft.  He is posting one scenario each day. Here is what he has so far:

Browns Mock Draft Experiment - Day 1: Trade for Alex Smith

Browns Mock Draft Experiment - Day 2: Sign Kirk Cousins

Waiting to see today's installment.  :popcorn:
Scenarios.  Here is one.

We trade for Alex Smith and it costs us our high 3rd round pick.

Rosen separates from the pack and becomes the hot target for a handful of teams and we get solid offers.  The G-Men offer their 2nd this year, we counter that we make a Brock Osweiler deal with them and take Eli and his $10 million contract off of their hands in exchange for their 2019 2nd round pick in addition to their 2nd this year.  They pull the trigger and take Rosen #1

After they take Rosen we take Darnold #2.

Something to pass the time is this running view on what CLE can do over the offseason.  The author is putting together 7 different scenarios that could happen this offseason using both FA and the Draft.  He is posting one scenario each day. Here is what he has so far:

Browns Mock Draft Experiment - Day 1: Trade for Alex Smith

Browns Mock Draft Experiment - Day 2: Sign Kirk Cousins

Browns Mock Draft Experiment - Day 3: Rookie Starting Day 1

Waiting to see today's installment.  :popcorn:
Updated with yesterday's article.  Interesting take in that CLE doesn't sign a veteran QB via FA, so the focus is on using FA and the draft to gather the pieces to help a Rookie QB compete.  You know, the opposite of what we did with Kizer.

It seems to me that they shouldn't hesitate to take the best player, regardless of position, with the top pick.  If anybody stands head-and-shoulders above the rest, like Miles Garrett, he is the guy to draft.  Right now, no one is touting any of the QBs as significantly better than the rest, which means one of them will be there at 1.4 if we take a position player at #1.   

Even though Ogbah was starting to look good (and forget the ACL recovery for a minute) how would it look having Garrett on one side and Chubb on the other?

Even though Ogbah was starting to look good (and forget the ACL recovery for a minute) how would it look having Garrett on one side and Chubb on the other?
I'm actually warming up to some non-QB ideas.  I know, I'm crazy!  Chubb/Fitzpatrick combo at 1 and 4 has to be intriguing even to somebody that wants a QB here.

If we sign Cousins, I'm absolutely not taking a QB in the top 5 unless one grades out WAY above the rest.  Doesn't seem like it's that kind of year.  I'm also answering the phone because there are a crapload of NFL teams in the market for a young QB.

I've always said if the Browns trade for Smith I'd still want a QB at 1 or 4, but now I'm even wavering there.

What a spot to be in...

Contender of what?  The division?
Playoffs.  The division.  Sure. 

Jacksonville had a monster turnaround with a similar approach, and Smith is 10 times the QB Bortles is.  Immediate impact RB in the draft, ball control efficient offense, unleash Hell on the opposing QB.  Profit.

Or just sign Cousins and keep the pick.  The Browns have the cap space. 

This franchise needs a veteran QB.  A leader.  Just throwing some rookie to the wolves again is spinning their wheels. 

Playoffs.  The division.  Sure. 

Jacksonville had a monster turnaround with a similar approach, and Smith is 10 times the QB Bortles is.  Immediate impact RB in the draft, ball control efficient offense, unleash Hell on the opposing QB.  Profit.

Or just sign Cousins and keep the pick.  The Browns have the cap space. 

This franchise needs a veteran QB.  A leader.  Just throwing some rookie to the wolves again is spinning their wheels. 
Fully agree except Jacksonville doesn't have a moron at HC.  CLE better hope they don't get off to a good enough start that Dorsey can't fire Hue.

Mel Kiper put out his first Mock draft

Browns select Josh Allen at 1. 

Saquon at 4. 
Mel  HATES RBs in the  first round so ofcourse he makes sure he gives one to the Browns  with a top-four pick.

Add, he has his third rated QB going #1 to the Browns. 

==========================================

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mel-kipers-top-10-prospects-position-2018-nfl/story?id=52263598

Mel Kiper's top 10 prospects at each position for 2018 NFL draft

By MEL KIPER via ESPN

Jan 10, 2018, 2:05 PM ET

Quarterbacks

1. * Josh Rosen, UCLA 
2. ** Sam Darnold, USC 
3. * Josh Allen, Wyoming
========================================

Who did Mel have the Browns taking with the top pick last year?

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2017/04/2017_nfl_draft_mcshay_kiper_have_cleveland_selecting_a_qb_no_1_in_final_mocks.html

2017 NFL Draft: Todd McShay, Mel Kiper Jr. have Cleveland selecting a QB at No. 1

Updated Apr 27, 2017; Posted Apr 27, 2017

NFL Draft Football

Texas A&M's Myles Garrett has been a popular top pick in 2017 NFL mock draft but ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. went with a quarterback as their top pick in final mock drafts posted on Thursday.

In their final mock drafts posting on ESPN.com, both McShay and Kiper think the Browns will go against popular perception and take North Carolina Tarheels quarterback Mitchell Trubisky with the No.1 overall pick. 

"How's this for a curveball to begin the night," Kiper Jr. writes. "The thinking is the Browns get antsy about Trubisky being available at No. 12 and don't find any takers to trade up. Could Cleveland ownership get involved and insist on a QB here? Remember, the Browns passed on Carson Wentz last year and really need a franchise-changer at the position

Right now it's all just part of the silly season.  Everyone's opinion will change over the next three months thanks to the Sr Bowl, East/West Shrine Game, Combine, and Personal Tryouts.  I've read alot about Allen, and he sounds somewhat similar to Kizer - all the tools, but little accuracy and needs to lead WRs in their routes (throw them open).  Darnold didn't impress me when I watched OSU vs USC, but then I also heard he had a very subpar team around him and that their final ranking was based on Darnold putting the team on his shoulders to win games.  If that's true, then that definitely shows some intangibles there to go with his on field strengths.  Rosen is going to have to overcome this perception that he's made of glass and can be durable. 

At this point the mock drafts are fun to see, but it's hard to take stock in them until closer to the draft. With that said, having 2 of the top 4 picks in this draft sets us up to hit on at least one good player....right?

PFF MOCK DRAFT 2018:

1.01 Baker Mayfield - There will be much debate as to which quarterback should go No. 1 overall, but Mayfield has been the nation’s most productive signal-caller for three years running, and he should be in the mix. Yes, the Oklahoma offense eases his burden compared to his peers, but he’s still shown outstanding accuracy and decision-making, while making enough “NFL throws” that should instill confidence that his game will translate to the next level. Mayfield has posted the top PFF grade in each of the last two seasons.

1.04 - Minkah Fitzpatrick - Cleveland turns their attention to the defensive side of the ball where the secondary needs impact players, and Fitzpatrick can play multiple roles on the back end. He excelled in the slot at Alabama, ranking sixth among cornerbacks with an 85.2 grade against the run and allowed just 9.3 yards per completion in his three years. The big question is if he can hold up on the outside where he played just 13 snaps this past year, but at worst, he should be a versatile slot/safety hybrid capable of impacting the game in all phases.

Take Chubb and Saquon and you have 2 bonafied studs. 
I'm kinda in this boat if they go after Cousins in FA. He's not my first choice, but he would become that long term QB that you need to build around to win games. I might switch Chubb for Minkah, but can't go wrong with either.  I would also see them draft a QB in the second round, if one drops. Rudolph maybe?

Take Chubb and Saquon and you have 2 bonafied studs. 
We are taking a QB this draft with one of our top-two picks.

PFF MOCK DRAFT 2018:

1.01 Baker Mayfield - 

1.04 - Minkah Fitzpatrick - 
Rosen looks like the 1st pick no matter what he says.

It is possible we trade down and still get these two players.

NY Jets openly stated they were open to trading up presumably for a QB.  They hold the 6th pick. 

We could take Rosen with the top pick and Minkah with the 4th pick then wait to make sure Baker fell to the 6th pick before pulling the trigger on a trade much like the Eli Manning Phil Rivers deal in 2004. 

DB-3.  This is our defensive Achilles Heel.  The league is full of ball-hawks.  Not here. IMO, they have work to do in order to approach "average" -- and that's just the starters.  I have trouble recollecting any great plays from this group, but that might just be this old guy (me) getting older.
I think Gregg Williams is almost 100% to blame for the lack of INT's. His defense is designed to allow WR's to get open, and tackle/hit them at the catch point. His scheme actively discourages risk taking and jumping routes. I'm not a Peppers fan, but he's an especially awful fit for this.

Mel Kiper put out his first Mock draft

Browns select Josh Allen at 1. 

Saquon at 4. 
That might be the worst possible outcome the Browns could have. 

#LSU running backs coach/assistant HC Tommy Robinson just completed an interview with the #Browns for their RB position, source said. Would be an intriguing hire for Cleveland, big loss for the Tigers.

I wonder what the Jets would give to leapfrog the Giants...  (and Broncos)
That's a great point. If a team absolutely covets a certain QB(which is likely for somebody) they will potentially need to jump the Giants. I'd be a little surprised if Denver tried to, I think they are the favorites to get Cousins, but the Jets, Redskins, Cardinals and maybe even Buffalo(with their 2 1st rounders) are teams potentially looking to move up for a QB.

Browns should acquire a veteran QB in FA(maybe Bradford if his knee checks out), and keep developing Kizer behind him. Trade down, take Chubb at 4, and then BPA other than DL with the next few picks.

That's a great point. If a team absolutely covets a certain QB(which is likely for somebody) they will potentially need to jump the Giants. I'd be a little surprised if Denver tried to, I think they are the favorites to get Cousins, but the Jets, Redskins, Cardinals and maybe even Buffalo(with their 2 1st rounders) are teams potentially looking to move up for a QB.

Browns should acquire a veteran QB in FA(maybe Bradford if his knee checks out), and keep developing Kizer behind him. Trade down, take Chubb at 4, and then BPA other than DL with the next few picks.
Bradford's health will never check out.

This would be a very Browns thing to do- pass on qb again, sign a guy who can’t seem to ever stay healthy, and develop kizer- then to top it off, are you passing on saquon to take chubb at 4? 

They have the chance to get the best QB and then likely the best non-QB in this draft. They have plenty of draft capital in this draft to fill holes. Most years I'm on board trading out of the top pick, but not this year. Grab a veteran QB, draft your first choice at QB, then grab a Barkley, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb. This is as close to a no lose situation that I have ever seen in a draft.

If they sign Cousins that in itself would increase the value of the #1 pick. 

Trade down to 5 or 6, pick up probably a 1st next year and a couple 2nds (maybe more who knows), and draft a couple out of Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and Barkley. 

Not to mention they could easily spend another 50 million in free agency on other things and still be in great cap shape.  

I want the Browns to try and go all Madden for 2018.  Worst to first :excited:

If they sign Cousins that in itself would increase the value of the #1 pick. 

Trade down to 5 or 6, pick up probably a 1st next year and a couple 2nds (maybe more who knows), and draft a couple out of Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and Barkley. 

Not to mention they could easily spend another 50 million in free agency on other things and still be in great cap shape.  

I want the Browns to try and go all Madden for 2018.  Worst to first :excited:
Seems every year there’s a worst to first team in the nfl. Browns are set up well, hopefully the front office doesn’t get in it’s own way

This would be a very Browns thing to do- pass on qb again, sign a guy who can’t seem to ever stay healthy, and develop kizer- then to top it off, are you passing on saquon to take chubb at 4? 
100% passing on Barkley for Chubb. That's a no-brainer in my eyes. No RB is worth a top-5 pick, its just not that valuable a position, plus its a position where the Browns already have filled. 

I'm ok with taking a QB, as long as they absolutely believe 100% in him, and he isn't Josh Allen. That said, I think Kizer could still easily be the best QB of last year's class, and just needs more development. 

I don't understand the pass on a QB again thing. Wentz and Watson wold have both stunk with this coaching staff. 

#LSU running backs coach/assistant HC Tommy Robinson just completed an interview with the #Browns for their RB position, source said. Would be an intriguing hire for Cleveland, big loss for the Tigers.
Hmnnn.  Wonder if he has any insights into Derrius Guice. :cool:

I'm not afraid of taking advantage of having two top-four picks in a deep QB draft.

I think the Jags would pay a lot to move up to the #1 pick to get a QB.  I would move down for CB Jalen Ramsey if we could get a QB we like at pick #4.

If the QB we like is available at pick #4 then I'd move down for Ramsey and their 1st round pick.  

Guice is being mocked late in the 1st round right about where the Jags would be selecting.

Guice 'might' even fall to the top of the 2nd round but if the Jags could part with Ramsey...

100% passing on Barkley for Chubb. That's a no-brainer in my eyes. No RB is worth a top-5 pick, its just not that valuable a position, plus its a position where the Browns already have filled. 

I'm ok with taking a QB, as long as they absolutely believe 100% in him, and he isn't Josh Allen. That said, I think Kizer could still easily be the best QB of last year's class, and just needs more development. 

I don't understand the pass on a QB again thing. Wentz and Watson wold have both stunk with this coaching staff. 
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you meant chubb at 4...

We will never know how those qbs would have done in Cleveland. I don’t see why kizer or anyone else would do better if the coaching is the same. If you liked what you saw out of kizer then ok, maybe I’m missing something. That said, would it be terrible to draft another guy 1st and have them compete? Sure it seems like a waste of a top pick but if kizer is pushed and it makes his game better then it’s a win, and you can likely move that qb a year or two from now. If kizer is less soze and more verbal Kent then you have a good prospect ready to have a shot. 

Also Crowell is a fa, so the position has an opening, unless you’re also on the duke Johnson train. 

There is also the business end- if they don’t take a new qb or Barkley at the top good luck selling those kizer jerseys. They would garner national attention with a qb/rb combo and sell tickets, and that’s what it’s really all about. Lock in a couple prime time games, sell some stuff. 

Might be the worst opinion written in this thread, and we've all said some bad ones.
Why? Rookie QBs struggle, especially when they have nobody to throw to. Gordon and Coleman had what, 3 games together? Most of the year Kizer's best pass catcher was Duke Johnson, then a gigantic drop off to...Higgins? I think its crazy to write off a highly talented prospect, who had to deal with an awful coach and no weapons. 

I don't think its 100% that Watson is a better player. He had a few great games, but also had some great luck, and should have had probably double the INT's he did, and he had a better coach and FAR better supporting cast. Prescott clearly looked like the best QB of the 2016 class after 2016. A case could easily be made he is 3rd now. Meanwhile, Goff went from embarrassing bust, to playoff starter. 

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you meant chubb at 4...

We will never know how those qbs would have done in Cleveland. I don’t see why kizer or anyone else would do better if the coaching is the same. If you liked what you saw out of kizer then ok, maybe I’m missing something. That said, would it be terrible to draft another guy 1st and have them compete? Sure it seems like a waste of a top pick but if kizer is pushed and it makes his game better then it’s a win, and you can likely move that qb a year or two from now. If kizer is less soze and more verbal Kent then you have a good prospect ready to have a shot. 

Also Crowell is a fa, so the position has an opening, unless you’re also on the duke Johnson train. 

There is also the business end- if they don’t take a new qb or Barkley at the top good luck selling those kizer jerseys. They would garner national attention with a qb/rb combo and sell tickets, and that’s what it’s really all about. Lock in a couple prime time games, sell some stuff. 
I agree completely with your 2nd paragraph, though I question how any prospect would fare under Hue, and whether taking a QB high, would just be throwing a pick away. That is why i like a veteran signing like Bradford, or Cousins, though I doubt he'll go to the Browns, as he'll have his choice of teams looking for a QB.

I am 100% on the Duke Johnson train. He was the most underused player in the NFL this year, and is a top-15 RB in the NFL. He consistently makes plays every time he gets the ball. Crowell is a FA, but you don't use a top-5 pick to replace him, a 3rd rounder could easily suffice.

I disagree with that last paragraph. Winning sells tickets, everything else is background noise at most. If the Browns win more, jerseys will sell. Maybe they'll be for Duke Johnson, or Josh Gordon, or Myles Garrett instead of Kizer(or whoever at QB) but winning cures all, just a matter of doing it with a coach who actively makes winning harder. Hue Jackson is basically worth about -5 wins I'd say, and while I have no faith at all in Dorsey(who wasn't very good in KC) Sashi Brown set them up well for a strong future.

Meanwhile, Goff went from embarrassing bust, to playoff starter. 
Kizer was god awful is EVERY aspect of QBing, aside from running w the ball.. Which I hardly care if a QB does.

He has shown close to ZERO accuracy, missing players literally 10ft from him. No decision making. No patience. No finesse.

Goff on the other hand, I wanted right out of college. You watched in him in college and you know he'd be at worst a capable QB. This year, he was able to show it.

Kizer will never be a starting NFL qb, bar an injury after this season. He just isnt very good.

travdogg said:

Disagree about the value of the position but agree that I wouldn't use the 4th pick on a RB. The problem that arises is the longevity of the position. I know that there are exceptions but the pounding that featured RB's take only makes the player useful for 3-4 years before having to look to be replaced. If Barkley was chosen with the #4 pick and used extensively, the Browns would probably be looking for a replacement when eventually they turn the corner.

I recently read a piece criticizing Bryce Love's decision for staying at Stanford next year.The OP stated that he could lose draft value because of the additional 250+ hits he would receive during the course of his senior season.

The wildcard consideration is how whomever the HC maybe incorporates the RB into the offense . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I further misunderstood you @travdogg, as perhaps you were talking about brad chubb rather than rb nick chubb. I forgot about him being near the top of the draft. 

So... If LeVeon Bell was available (which he is) and he was looking solely to get paid (which he is)....

Would you bring him here for a 3yr run?

So... If LeVeon Bell was available (which he is) and he was looking solely to get paid (which he is)....

Would you bring him here for a 3yr run?
I’m not a Cleveland fan, but I would be against it (I’d also be against my Jets doing it). I don’t see paying Bell big money unless the Browns were a lot closer to winning even the division. By the time they are ready Bell could start wearing down. I’d rather they use a second on a Guice or Chubb.

I’m not a Cleveland fan, but I would be against it (I’d also be against my Jets doing it). I don’t see paying Bell big money unless the Browns were a lot closer to winning even the division. By the time they are ready Bell could start wearing down. I’d rather they use a second on a Guice or Chubb.
I know some ppl laugh at me, but PIT without Bell are going nowhere.

If we bought in Alex Smith / Cousins and Bell, I would be pretty confident that we would have mroe than a decent shot at winning the division. Truly.

I can't say enough that we are NOT an 0-16 team. and we hung w real good teams til our defense gassed from being on the field all game long due to inept offense.

Users who are viewing this thread