What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Signing cousins and Bell means we dont have to use a top pick on a QB or RB and can trade down and still land two great defensive prospects whether at 2/4 or 4/5 or whatever.  

So if you are asking me if i want to go 3 years 50 million on Bell?  Yes, yes I do. 

The trick to all this is each of those guys like Cousins and Bell need to know each other will be signing.

That 24 hour legal tampering period could come in quite handy.

Are we gonna have to overpay and maybe be up against the cap in 3 years?  Yep.  So ####### what.  Adding cousins and bell on the 2017 team makes us 8-8.  We didnt lose anyone.  Now add two top 5 picks, three 2nds or more, and another few good FAs with the remaining cap

Why would you sign Bell when you could more than likely grab a guy like Michel in the second round. Grab a QB at one, auction off the fourth pick to a team looking to move up for a QB and go from there.

Why would you sign Bell when you could more than likely grab a guy like Michel in the second round. Grab a QB at one, auction off the fourth pick to a team looking to move up for a QB and go from there.
Because he is a hall of fame 3 down RB in the prime of his career.  Seems like an obvious answer.

Because he is a hall of fame 3 down RB in the prime of his career.  Seems like an obvious answer.
0-16 teams don’t sign middle aged luxury RBs. Use all that money to address actual needs of which there are many. What makes anyone think Bell would sign in that wasteland anyway, it’s not like he wouldn’t have other competitive options to choose from.

0-16 teams don’t sign middle aged luxury RBs. Use all that money to address actual needs of which there are many. What makes anyone think Bell would sign in that wasteland anyway, it’s not like he wouldn’t have other competitive options to choose from.
Because the ONLY thing Bell cares about is $

Hence all he ever talks about.

Hence missing practice/walkthrus the day before a HUGE playoff game

We all know we aren't going to get him.  Not relevant to what we were talking about.

And as for filling other needs, well, adding Cousins, Bell, several other good FAs with the oodles of remaining cap room, two top 5 picks, pick 33, pick 35, pick 60-ish, pick 65...........I think we can fill quite a few needs.

Signing Bell doesnt keep us from being able to sign someone else, so why the hell not?  If anything it lets us draft CHubb instead of Barkely.  Makes asbsolutely zero sense to say we need to address actual needs when signing Bell would not prohibit us from doing that.  If anything it would make it easier because the better we look as a team, the better we look to FAs. 

I can dream right?  Probably 10% of this happens, but whatever.

Sign Cousins

Sign Bell after the Stoolers screw up and let him leave

Sign Allen Robinson while retaining Gordon and Coleman, maybe even add Pryor.

Sign a legit backup TE

Sign the best RT available

Trade down from 1 to 2 for either pick 34 or their future 1st (or maybe both in all honesty depending how things shake out), then again down to 5 or 6 if someone wants a QB bad enough to pony up.  

Draft Chubb at 2 (BPA at 5 or 6 if we went there)

Draft Fitzpatrick at 4

draft BPA at whatever positions the rest of the way, while picking up a 2019 1st from someone if we were not able to get one in the deal with the Giants. 

Win division the next 3 years despite Hue trying to go 6-10 every year.  

What if his OC came to the Browns?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/21/report-browns-engaged-in-serious-talks-with-todd-haley/

Report: Browns engaged in “serious talks” with Todd Haley

Posted by Josh Alper on January 21, 2018, 12:21 PM EST
I wouldn't mind it, but would Hue give him play calling duties? Whether Bell comes with him or not, I just don't see it happening.  

Plus, didn't Bell complain that the Steelers didn't run enough last year?  Wouldn't that fall on Haley?

@mortreport 

Among those who have strongly endorsed Todd Haley to the Browns as offensive coordinator is Hall of Famer QB Kurt Warner, who said he'd come out of retirement to play for Haley again as he did in Arizona.

@mortreport 

Among those who have strongly endorsed Todd Haley to the Browns as offensive coordinator is Hall of Famer QB Kurt Warner, who said he'd come out of retirement to play for Haley again as he did in Arizona.
He'd be the best QB in (new) Browns history as soon as he steps onto the field.

@mortreport 

Lol Warner’s nearing 50 years old. Thanks bud but we’re good.

Just when you thought we had a coach who couldn't possibly hate his players more. We go out and one-up ourselves. I I don't know the story yet, but this ending is going to be explosive. 

Fire Hue yet?

Or is this where I’m supposed to jump back on board with Hue like it’s day 1 again?
If Hue isn't doing the play calling, them I'm all on board. Let Huey sit in the sideline and scowl like Tomlin for all I care. This may be the only way Hue keeps his job....by letting go if everything and letting others who know what they're doing take over.

I'd have to think this move puts Alex Smith further in play this off season. Draft a young QB to sit and learn, then load up the playmakers! I like what I see so far!

Hue not calling plays makes him non cancerous?
Makes him a little more neutered. More opinionated football minds to either leverage or piggy back when things start turning around. This smells of a Dorsey type hire and less of a Hue hire. Hue just needs to sit on the sideline and cheer the team on. Hue can't throw these coaches under the bus, with the exception of Zampese. But one could argue he may belong there.

Makes him a little more neutered. More opinionated football minds to either leverage or piggy back when things start turning around. This smells of a Dorsey type hire and less of a Hue hire. Hue just needs to sit on the sideline and cheer the team on. Hue can't throw these coaches under the bus, with the exception of Zampese. But one could argue he may belong there.
Hue is not going to go quietly into that good night. This thing has nuclear potential with the personalities running this ship. It'll be like Crimson Tide only with 3 Alphas. Bigger, better, uncut!

So does Haley turn Duke loose and let him do his best Lev Bell impression? I mean, the kid has +50 receptions every season, is a competent runner when given the chance, and this last season showed an ability to get in the endzone. A man can hope. They have a good RB on the roster already, a decent one they could resign and there will be a few out there on the market. A team as devoid of talent as an 0-16 team really shouldn't be picking an RB at 1.04 (not saying they are truly devoid of talent but they have positions that are truly bad, why waste on a position that they have talent in)

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke is not a good running RB. Great a a pass catcher. Crow is the runner. 

That being said, I'd be all for bringing in Barkley, Guice, Chubb or Sony

Duke is not a good running RB. Great a a pass catcher. Crow is the runner. 
Not sure where this sentement comes from because a lot of people seem to feel this way. Is it because Duke has averaged more YPC than Crow the last 2 years? Does being that much better in the passing game somehow negate that he is also better at running but not given the opportunity?

Duke hasn't been given a fair shake to show what he is and drafting an RB top 4 feels foolish. It was one thing for the Cowboys to do it, they had a lost season due to QB injury and RB insanity (hope Joseph Randle found help). If anyone is expecting to draft Barkley 4th overall and have a breakout like the Jags did this year with Fournette then I would like them to share what they've been smoking. That 4th pick is better spent elsewhere (probably better spent trading back in all honesty to another QB needy team).

Not sure where this sentement comes from because a lot of people seem to feel this way. Is it because Duke has averaged more YPC than Crow the last 2 years? Does being that much better in the passing game somehow negate that he is also better at running but not given the opportunity?

Duke hasn't been given a fair shake to show what he is and drafting an RB top 4 feels foolish. It was one thing for the Cowboys to do it, they had a lost season due to QB injury and RB insanity (hope Joseph Randle found help). If anyone is expecting to draft Barkley 4th overall and have a breakout like the Jags did this year with Fournette then I would like them to share what they've been smoking. That 4th pick is better spent elsewhere (probably better spent trading back in all honesty to another QB needy team).
Our new GM referred to him as a 3rd down/change of pace back - or something along those lines.  I think Duke is under appreciated, but if the front office and coaching staff disagree then I wouldn't get your hopes up about him getting a fair shake.  

I hope we don't draft Barkley top 5, but it really doesn't have much to do with the player - he good.  It has everything to do with our current situation and the quality of this RB class.  Spend a top 5 pick on a premium position with the long term in mind then pick your RB day 2.

If this draft is as deep as they say in RB, then wait til the 2nd round to get your Crow replacement.  Barkley is a good player, and I think he would do well on this team.  I don't think CLE can go wrong if they picked BPA the first two picks.  Grab a QB and then one of Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Barkley.  It's between Dorsey, Haley, Williams, and Hue (maybe in that order) to determine what fits best.  I have to say, I'm a little more confident now than I was a few weeks ago with only having Hue and Dorsey.  The FO has filled out nicely with talent evaluators and there are a few strong coordinators to help Hue through this mess.  

Browns officially named Todd Haley as offensive coordinator, Amos Jones as special teams coordinator and Freddie Kitchens as running backs/associate head coach.

Sorry i was wrong about Kizer.  He doesnt have it and maybe hed pan out if he got to sit for a couple years but hes a bust.  However i did think they should have taken wentz instead of trading down.  I thought manziel was a terrible pick.  I thought they should have taken khalil mack. So i missed one.  

Anyway, if im the browns, i take barkley at 1 and mayfield at 4.  I agree with the sentiment that if mayfield was 6’4” hed be the consensus #1 overall and height is overblown here. 

Sorry i was wrong about Kizer.  He doesnt have it and maybe hed pan out if he got to sit for a couple years but hes a bust.  However i did think they should have taken wentz instead of trading down.  I thought manziel was a terrible pick.  I thought they should have taken khalil mack. So i missed one.  

Anyway, if im the browns, i take barkley at 1 and mayfield at 4.  I agree with the sentiment that if mayfield was 6’4” hed be the consensus #1 overall and height is overblown here. 
If you're taking Mayfield at #4 then don't screw around and just pick him #1.  

I want Mayfield so bad. Sit him behind Smith for 1-2yrs and unleash. 
Seems to me that Rosen is pretty much the only QB you could start as a rookie.  The rest, as you say, need seasoning.

Anybody got a link to a reasonably reliable "big board"? 

If you're taking Mayfield at #4 then don't screw around and just pick him #1.  
Ahem, Johnny Manziel.  Many here argued that you don't take a guy higher than they should go.

Josh Rosen looks like the top rated QB.  If the Browns don't want Rosen and eventually zero-in on Mayfield then be smart and take Rosen #1 after making a deal but only if they are confident that Mayfield would be available with the #4 pick.

Then AFTER Mayfield drops to #4, take him and announce the top pick has been traded to... blah blah blah for X/Y/Z.

That way you get Mayfield + you take advantage of the fact that you can land him with the #4 pick.

Seems to me that Rosen is pretty much the only QB you could start as a rookie.  The rest, as you say, need seasoning.

Anybody got a link to a reasonably reliable "big board"? 
No Big Board will be reliable this far out as it gets closer to the draft there might be a some with few hits. When the Great Goose Goslin stopped doing his board they lost their value a little bit. I think there’s two or three guys out there that will bring some decent Boards but not as reliable as Rick.

Tex

If Hue isn't doing the play calling, them I'm all on board. Let Huey sit in the sideline and scowl like Tomlin for all I care. This may be the only way Hue keeps his job....by letting go if everything and letting others who know what they're doing take over.

I'd have to think this move puts Alex Smith further in play this off season. Draft a young QB to sit and learn, then load up the playmakers! I like what I see so far!
They would have to trade for Alex Smith they have a better chance signing Kirk Cousins no? Especially with the amount of cap space they have they can do a lot. Similarly to what the Jags and Eagles have done.

Sign Cousins, Draft BPA in Barkley then the best D player. They would change the Franchise around quickly IMHO!!

Tex

Ahem, Johnny Manziel.  Many here argued that you don't take a guy higher than they should go.

Josh Rosen looks like the top rated QB.  If the Browns don't want Rosen and eventually zero-in on Mayfield then be smart and take Rosen # after making a deal but only if they are confident that Mayfield would be available with the #4 pick.

Then AFTER Mayfield drops to #4, take him and announce the top pick has been traded to... blah blah blah for X/Y/Z.

That way you get Mayfield + you take advantage of the fact that you can land him with the #4 pick.
Good read:

Dorsey: Four or five QBs warrant consideration at No. 1

John Dorsey held the No. 1 overall selection in his first season as the General Manager of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The team selected offensive tackle Eric Fisher with that selection due to their being a lack of options at the quarterback position. One quarterback, EJ Manuel, was taken in the first round. One quarterback, Geno Smith, was taken in the second round.

"In 2013, I had the first pick of the draft for the Kansas City Chiefs. There really was not a quarterback prospect there. Actually in this class, there are four or five [quarterback] prospects in this class that make you think at least, are they worthy of that position?," Dorsey said Tuesday from the Reese's Senior Bowl.

“What you do is you let the process unfold. You get to know each and every one of the prospects that we talk about. We are months away from this process. We are at the beginning stages. Let's understand who they are as people. Let's understand them as football players. Let's see if they can be the face of the franchise. Are they the guys for the Cleveland Browns?"

Dorsey suggested that Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen and Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield are two of those players being considered. He plans to meet with both this week at the Reese's Senior Bowl. USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen are expected to be in consideration as well.

The executive explained what he is looking for in a quarterback.

"Do they win? Do they have the physical skills necessary to play that position? Do they have a strong arm? Do they have deep ball accuracy? Do they have feet? Can they extend the play? Are they a leader of men? We could go on and on and on but at the end of the day, it is about winning," he finished.

N.C. State's Mike Glennon, USC's Matt Barkley, Syracuse's Ryan Nassib, Oklahoma's Landry Jones and Arkansas' Tyler Wilson were also taken in either the third or fourth rounds.

The Browns hold the No. 1 and No. 4 overall selections in the 2018 NFL Draft. They are expected to take a quarterback with their first selection.

Tex

Josh Rosen looks like the top rated QB.  If the Browns don't want Rosen and eventually zero-in on Mayfield then be smart and take Rosen #1 after making a deal but only if they are confident that Mayfield would be available with the #4 pick.

I've been thinking more about this scenario, and I don't think it fits in today's draft process.  The Eli/Rivers scenario occured prior to the removal of the Rookie Draft scale.  In getting a #1 QB in slot #4 vs slot #1 was a huge difference in pay scale for the rookies. The NFL's removal of the rookie scale doesn't really impact draft slots as much as before, so #1 vs #4 isn't that big of a deal.  I think it's more the stigma of taking someone #1 that could've been had later. I guess I don't see this scenario playing out in today's NFL Draft.  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread