What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

If anyone is surprised by the strength and arm talent of Mayfield, I distinctly recall this from the pre-draft process that made me raise an eyebrow.

Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield top QB velocity during combine throwing session

The 'other' shocker is Lamar Jackson with such a low velocity rating.

Baker has a serious gun, he clicked on over 70% of his passes last night and had a couple of WR drops.

Can you imagine if/when he starts connecting with Callaway on those go-routes?
I am surprised.  I do not remember Baker throwing darts like that in college.  Obviously, the kid has a great arm.  And even the longer pass on the sideline was on target.  The WR dropped it but Baker couldn't have thrown it much better.  I thought it was best for the Browns to sit Baker all season but that ship has sailed.  It would be stupid to sit him now. 

Not sure how this will play out the rest of the season.  Baker will likely make rookie mistakes but Hue better not play his QB games where he goes back and forth with starters.  The future is now for the Browns.  They are on upward path no matter if they win 3 more or 6 more games this season.   The team is going to compete every week. 

Not sure how this will play out the rest of the season.
He's the starter.

These Browns are not the same old Browns and people have not caught on to that yet.

We'll see how he plays against the Raiders when they have time to prepare for him.   Waldman seems to think Baker torches zone but struggles with man-to-man.  I dunno bout that so I can't wait to see the next game and how he performs.  Over 70% completion rate is 'probably' not sustainable but it will be fun to see him get his first passing TD..  I'm hyped and once again, THESE BROWNS are not the same old Browns.

The reason Mayfield was sitting is because the O-Line still isn't quite set and the WRs are in a state of flux not to mention we still haven't established the running game enough.

We are starting a rookie undrafted free agent left tackle and the free agent right tackle hasn't really settled in yet.

We cut/trade our #1 WR days ago and are starting a rookie 4th round pick and a second year TE with scant depth at the receiver position.

Our rookie RB can't pass protect and he looked like shttt with that BS 'Olaay' non-block on that punt block.  Kid should get his rookie azzz sat for weeks just for that because that could have cost the ball game.  I'm still pisssed about that and I don't care what Soul says that rookie needs to get his head screwed on and frk'n gddam learn how to block before he gets on the field because we can't allow a rookie to cost us games..

Baker is starting and the 'other' pieces are going to have to develop/catch up because the Baker train is roll'n.
Sorry Bracie, I'm not getting what you're saying here :lmao: Agree, if ole boy can't block pass protect, why would you put him on punts in that position which is essentially pass pro? I blame a number of coaches for that one starting with Amos Jones.

It was the plan put in place in January and it'd take something extraordinary to undig their heels and have them call an audible.  Thankfully what happened last night was extraordinary - to both of them.
I get it and I've been on board with it since it was announced by Hue that there would be no competition. And if the talent level was close I'd still be on board with it but there is a gap, like a Grand Canyon wide gap between these guys. Somebody is not watching the same team that we saw last night. Sometimes you gotta go outside the lane to get where you want to go and I have to think with the collective football IQ in the room, they all saw Mayfield well above Taylor. #### the plan. "Forget About The Curve Ball Ricky, Give him the heater”. Sometimes the right answer is the simplest one. Occam's razor and all that. We're on the same page so not arguing with you Mac.

If only he had some practice with the 1s...... :oldunsure:
Not today...be happy today, there will be time for this later. We have 10 days, today is a happy day :thumbup: :D

BBC with as many defensive snaps as I had last night.  I guess Carrie has taken over there? 

Mitchell looks like a good find from Dorsey's past.

Chris Smith and Chad Thomas really better than Nassib?  

learn how to block before he gets on the field because we can't allow a rookie to cost us games..

I'm not getting what you're saying here :lmao: Agree, if ole boy can't block pass protect, why would you put him on punts in that position which is essentially pass pro? I blame a number of coaches for that one starting with Amos Jones.
Amos Jones sucks but that is only a peripheral issue.

Nick Chubb should not be on the field in any capacity where he has to block.

Lack of effort is not acceptable for a rookie who has to earn PT.

If he can't play special teams and can't pass-pro then he won't be suiting up so it is critical that he gets his head screwed on right and puts in the effort and learns how to block.

did anyone listen to Hue’s presser?

he said something to the effect that you can’t compare Tyrod and Baker’s performances because they made “adjustments on the sideline” to fix a few things.

is he ####### serious???  who does he think he’s kidding?

did anyone listen to Hue’s presser?

he said something to the effect that you can’t compare Tyrod and Baker’s performances because they made “adjustments on the sideline” to fix a few things.

is he ####### serious???  who does he think he’s kidding?
I noticed that he referred to TT in the past tense, Baker in the present.

I wonder what the rating #s were before Baker gets in the game and after. Bottom line is Mayfield is good for the NFL and good for ratings. Who wants to watch boring 3 & outs with a bad pass, a 3 yard RB run and then a panicky QB running for 3 more yards on 3rd down. No one.

He's the starter.

These Browns are not the same old Browns and people have not caught on to that yet.

We'll see how he plays against the Raiders when they have time to prepare for him.   Waldman seems to think Baker torches zone but struggles with man-to-man.  I dunno bout that so I can't wait to see the next game and how he performs.  Over 70% completion rate is 'probably' not sustainable but it will be fun to see him get his first passing TD..  I'm hyped and once again, THESE BROWNS are not the same old Browns.
The Browns should beat the dysfunctional Raiders.  That is assuming that Hue stays out of the way.  

I have three entries in a huge Survivor Pool, and used one on CLE.  By the way, I was one of 76 entries that used CLE, so there was some faith.  

If I win this thing, I'm gonna name my entries next year Tyrod's Concussion.   :thumbup:

If Mayfield isn't named the starter on Monday then Hue should be fired immediately with cause!!!

Didn't get to see the game last night, but just watched most of it and Mayfield looked awesome. This is a borderline playoff team with him in there and with their defense. I think you will have to wait a year Cleveland fans because you have 2 less wins than you should have right now and Mayfield is still going to make some rookie mistakes that will cost the team a game or 2 this year. 

I have three entries in a huge Survivor Pool, and used one on CLE.  By the way, I was one of 76 entries that used CLE, so there was some faith.  

If I win this thing, I'm gonna name my entries next year Tyrod's Concussion.   :thumbup:
I hope Taylor isn't looked at in a negative light here. This was about Mayfield being good, not Taylor being bad. Taylor is absolutely a top-25 NFL QB. He was just handicapped by an offense designed to make him look bad. I half suspect Haley wanted to go with Mayfield as the starter the second he was drafted, and almost purposely poorly called 2.5 games. I mean, they basically were running an offense designed to ignore Taylor's strengths and showcase his weaknesses. It was like if the Patriots and Panthers swapped QB's but asked Brady to run Cam's offense and vice versa. Neither one would be even close to as effective.

With Drew Stanton around(he survived final cuts right?) I wonder if trading Taylor might not be a bad option? A lot of teams could use a top notch backup QB.

I hope Taylor isn't looked at in a negative light here. This was about Mayfield being good, not Taylor being bad. Taylor is absolutely a top-25 NFL QB. He was just handicapped by an offense designed to make him look bad. I half suspect Haley wanted to go with Mayfield as the starter the second he was drafted, and almost purposely poorly called 2.5 games. I mean, they basically were running an offense designed to ignore Taylor's strengths and showcase his weaknesses. It was like if the Patriots and Panthers swapped QB's but asked Brady to run Cam's offense and vice versa. Neither one would be even close to as effective.

With Drew Stanton around(he survived final cuts right?) I wonder if trading Taylor might not be a bad option? A lot of teams could use a top notch backup QB.
sensational bait

Regardless of who is calling the plays, an NFL QB needs to be able to hit a wide-open receiver running behind the defense.

Browns’ rookie Denzel Ward piloting a ‘No Fly Zone’ in Cleveland

...Cleveland Browns rookie cornerback Denzel Ward, a local Ohio State product, is leading a revolution on the defensive side of the ball, turning the doormat that was the team’s secondary into a formidable unit – a No Fly Zone.

Matching Mayfield’s heroics stride for stride, Ward allowed New York Jetsrookie quarterback Sam Darnold to complete just two-of-four targets for eight yards into his coverage in Thursday’s contest. He also logged four combined tackles and one defensive stop, all coming together to form his team-high 90.9 overall grade and 91.4 coverage grade.
Go to the link for the rest of the read.

#s dont lie bra.  TT is done.  Embrace it. 

Not buying The Haley sabotage theory

But

Taylor being traded? That’s a Dorsey thing  that would not surprise me. Completely clear the deck for Mayfield, Stanton is a competent 2. Get a draft pick and move on.

I commend you for your persistence I guess but your island is getting lonelier and lonelier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of who is calling the plays, an NFL QB needs to be able to hit a wide-open receiver running behind the defense.
There’s only 2 areas that are strengths for Taylor; running the ball and not turning it over. The second strength though is directly related to the fact that he plays like a scared rabbit from the pocket. He won’t throw to a WR that isn’t wide open - and he’ll miss on those often - and he’ll take off and run at the slightest pressure without looking for a WR to break open.

If Baker becomes what I think he is and Mahomes continues his pace, man this Dorsey guy becomes a legend.
I was really disappointed when Ted Thomspon retired and Dorsey had just signed with the Browns weeks ago. He's probably the best talent evaluator in the league. If he can find the right coach (and Haslam doesn't **** it up somehow), he's going to bring a Lombardi to Cleveland.

Look I bought into the Baker hype after Thursday, all in, play the kid the rest of the way but you guys talking about trading Taylor, I think you’re jumping the gun. This is the AFC and the Browns routinely play 3 or more QB’s every year because of injuries. Let’s not rush into something that we might regret down the road. 

Desmond Harrison is coming along nicely.

------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland Browns: PFF grades

Offensive Line

Desmond Harrison, LT, 68.8 : Rookie Desmond Harrison had his best game yet. He graded out with a 79.1 pass blocking grade (really good), and a 65.6 grade in run blocking, which is considered above average.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/robby-anderson-is-being-noticed-for-all-the-wrong-reasons/

...DE Leonard Williams played 84 percent of the defensive snaps in Thursday’s 21-17 loss and did not record a stat — not a tackle, sack, quarterback hit, nothing. 

So i go to a sports bar Thursday night.  A browns fan living in denver for 25 yrs, w my Quinn #10 jersey to remind me about the factory of sadness.  It's mid 2nd qtr,  and a jets fan approaches my table.  

@ that point we were down 14, and he was ready to talk some smack.  Btw, dressed in a nice nfl jets ensamble including not only hat and shirt, but he went all in and got the logo shorts,  and wait for it...

Jets shoes.  I didnt ask re the socks or undergarments.

Flash forward to baker catching the 2pt, etc.

It's been a long time since any browns fan felt satisfied after a game.  Enjoy.

In Dorsey we trust.

So i go to a sports bar Thursday night.  A browns fan living in denver for 25 yrs, w my Quinn #10 jersey to remind me about the factory of sadness.  It's mid 2nd qtr,  and a jets fan approaches my table.  

@ that point we were down 14, and he was ready to talk some smack.  Btw, dressed in a nice nfl jets ensamble including not only hat and shirt, but he went all in and got the logo shorts,  and wait for it...

In Dorsey we trust.
Kudos to you rocking the Brady Quinn gear, strong statement.

In Dorsey we trust.
Denver Mile High Browns Backers 

https://fans.clevelandbrowns.com/backer-tracker/clubs

That still in operation?

In Dorsey we trust.
let’s see a couple more games. 

if it goes well i’ll spot you a Mayfield jersey.

I was really disappointed when Ted Thomspon retired and Dorsey had just signed with the Browns weeks ago. He's probably the best talent evaluator in the league. If he can find the right coach (and Haslam doesn't **** it up somehow), he's going to bring a Lombardi to Cleveland.
Easy, brah

Desmond Harrison, LT, 68.8 : Rookie Desmond Harrison had his best game yet. He graded out with a 79.1 pass blocking grade (really good), and a 65.6 grade in run blocking, which is considered above average.

...DE Leonard Williams played 84 percent of the defensive snaps in Thursday’s 21-17 loss and did not record a stat — not a tackle, sack, quarterback hit, nothing. 
Where would Desmond Harrison had been drafted if not for the off-the-field issues?

While Desmond Harrison was an undrafted free agent, can you put a draft grade on him from a talent perspective had he not had some of his missteps?  

...one longtime NFL scout who had a first-round grade on Harrison from a talent standpoint. His Texas offensive line coach  back in 2013, Stacy Searels, told me that Harrison was a top five pick  without the off-the-field issues, and former Texas coach Mack Brown told  me he was the most athletic linemen he had ever seen. Harrison is raw  and inexperienced but an absolute steal if he lives up to the hype. 
This isn't just MKC hype, lots of people had Harrison as a top talent from this class.

Scouting Notebook: Who Are the Biggest Early 2018 NFL Draft Sleepers?

JANUARY 12, 2018

Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia

After transferring to Texas from Contra Costa Community College (California) in 2013, Desmond Harrison was one of a handful of players dismissed from the team by former head coach Charlie Strong. He landed on his feet at West Georgia, and his tape there has been impressive against small-time talent. Harrison will be at the Senior Bowl and has a chance to build on the hype surrounding his athleticism at left tackle.
Desmond Harrison is quickly catching on and 'appears' to have the talent of a top-five pick which is an 'absolute steal'.  

Desmond Harrison is quickly catching on and 'appears' to have the talent of a top-five pick which is an 'absolute steal'.  
This would be YUUUGE! if they keep this kid focused and on point. I had my doubts about the move because ya know, Browns and stuff, but it's looking like a solid move so far.

Congratulations for having a better record than the Patriots at the conclusion of a day's play for the first time since....

Kickoff on November 3, 2002.  Browns were 4-4 at the time of kickoff that day.  Patriots were 3-4.

-QG

Season 1, Episode 13: Placement, Velocity, and Aggressiveness from Baker Mayfield in his NFL Debut

Browns Film Breakdown

Published on Sep 25, 2018

PFF's Brendan Leister joins me as we highlight what exactly Baker Mayfield did well in his NFL debut performance in the Browns 21-17 win over the Jets in Week 3. :thumbup:
As I watched, I noticed how aggressive he was.  While there were other options available on the first 3, he (successfully) fired into tight windows right away.  I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out. 

i can’t wait to see how Mayfield looks with a week of practice with the 1s getting their timing down. and a game plan.  

should really show us what he can do.  

i can’t wait to see how Mayfield looks with a week of practice with the 1s getting their timing down. and a game plan.  

should really show us what he can do.  
My expectations are currently way too high.  I'm looking at prior years and cannot find one instance I was so excited for a game.  Only ones that are even close since 2007 are those Thursday's with Hoyer in 13 and 14, but this is on a completely different level.

MAC_32 said:
My expectations are currently way too high.  I'm looking at prior years and cannot find one instance I was so excited for a game.  Only ones that are even close since 2007 are those Thursday's with Hoyer in 13 and 14, but this is on a completely different level.
Same here, can't wait to see what they do this weekend. New Browns, new attitude, lets leave Oakland making them mumble about their coach rather than the other way around :football:

daveR said:
Browns now in bottom third of penalties against.
Unfortunately we are ranked dead last in special teams.

2018 SPECIAL TEAMS RATINGS

• 32 CLE - 14.2%
----------------------------

That has gotta get cleaned up.

Also, its great to feel confident but don't start making playoff plans just yet.

Our chances to land a wild card playoff spot are currently under 9% and less than 8% to take the division. 

PLAYOFF ODDS REPORT

Revised as of 09/25/18, through Week 3.

CLE 1-1-1

WC - 8.8%

------------------------------------

This season is tough to predict.

The Raiders are going to be spoiling for their first win. 

Chuckie is going to have a few surprises for the rookie.

I can't wait to see how Mayfield responds because the doubters are saying he had the advantage against the Jets because they didn't prepare for him.

Users who are viewing this thread