What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

Lots of problems, but the biggest, IMO, was expectations.  I expected the DL to dominate.  I expected the CBs to shut them all down.  I expected Baker & OBJ to be unstoppable.  I expected a winning record -- after all they were nearly .500 last year!   I expected some problems that they would overcome quickly.  I expected the OL to be decent and improving.  

The OL is fine. It's not good enough to play from behind against a unit like that one, but it's effective enough against lesser ones or playing with a lead against better ones. But why has it been exposed against better units? Because Dorsey bet on Corbett and was wrong. He also didn't bring in adequate insurance at TE should something happen to Njoku. Darren Fells isn't anything special, but he's an effective blocker and can make a couple plays in the passing game on occasion. Dorsey's solution (Harris) sucks at both. So the problem at tackle became a bigger problem because he made the positions around it worse. But it's still only a problem when playing from behind against stout pass rush's like Pittsburgh and San Fran, which should not have happened yesterday but the defense imploded.

Moving Peppers was the price of poker, but Dorsey didn't adequately replace him (Burnett) then put that position at peril as it relied on Randall's explosive personality. In an attempt to try to improve that position (Murray) he made the DE depth (Ogbah) worse. Both of those positions were major factors yesterday. As was corner, again. Was it fair to put Greedy in a starting position day one? Maybe not, but he's been an issue all season. A little coincidental that as soon as he leaves the game due to injury his backup creates a turnover. Speaking of rookies, we've needed too much of them at LB because Dorsey didn't bring anything in behind Schobert and Kirksey.

And while all the minions are lazily pointing their finger at Freddie as the problem who is the genius that hired him? John Dorsey's winter 2019. He was given a treasure trove of assets when he was hired and has done a poor job with them. 

Lots of problems, but the biggest, IMO, was expectations.  I expected the DL to dominate.  I expected the CBs to shut them all down.  I expected Baker & OBJ to be unstoppable.  I expected a winning record -- after all they were nearly .500 last year!   I expected some problems that they would overcome quickly.  I expected the OL to be decent and improving.  
Expectations would have been fine with an established NFL HC who could handle a talented roster.

Their is only one DL in the league that dominates, SF who have four 1st round picks on their D-Line.  FOUR first round picks.  We're fine on the D-Line with Myles but I'd love to add another dominating DT if possible.

Why would you expect the CBs to shut them all down?  We had a rookie last year who suffered three concussions and had a 2nd round rookie starting opposite him.  Greedy can cover but needs to add muscle to his frame.  Denzel is fine.  Carrie is good.  We lack safeties who can cover the TE and if Randall talks his way off the team we need a center fielder at FS.

I expected OBJ to get his at minimum and he hasn't.  He has drawn bracket coverage and it is finally being exploited by Landry and Hunt but the rhythm and timing have to improve.  HAS TO.  As in no compromise.  Both Baker and OBJ have to push aside egos and get that fixed because I'm not giving Baker a pass on that problem.

The offensive line needed an infusion at OT.  They had nothing behind two sketchy OTs.  Did you see that guy yesterday at OLT?  Just stood their, apparently out of breath watching the play as soon as he got beat instead of stepping two feet to make a block.  Hubbard is just not good.  Watt owns him.  Its not a debate, he gets beat too often.

As far as W/L.  If you give me a capable HC, two 'good' OTs, a WR/QB combo with chemistry, and our defense with a few tweaks then I'll play the W/L game but not with a rookie HC and those OTs and zero chemistry with Baker and OBJ.

How do you fix this mess?

*Re-sign Schobert, whatever the cost (probably $60m, $35 gtd give or take)

*Tag Hunt, 2nd round tender - expect to get him back for $3m but prepare for another team to offer (budget - $25m, $15 gtd) and you to match

*Exercise 5th year options on Garrett and Njoku

*Cut Vernon ($0 dead money), Kirksey ($7m cap savings, $2.4 dead), and Carrie ($7m cap savings, $1.8m dead) - Schobert fills the Vernon void and in the worst case Hunt fills the Carrie void. Expect to come out of that about $10m (probably less) better than you are now.

*Since both tackles are problems I don't think cutting Hubbard in March is an option ($5m cap savings, $2.4 dead), but it's worth exploring

*There are several w/cap #'s between $2m and $5m with little dead money that don't have secure jobs, so figure some of them go but any savings would just go to draft picks

*Hopefully Bitonio and Beckham aren't contract issues, but since both are entering the rolling guarantees stage keep that stored away in the back of your head

That leaves you with a budget of $40m give or take (depending on what's done with those $2-$5m guys) with holes at FS, SS, LT, RT, and RG.

What's your priority list? Because given all he screwed up last offseason he's not going to be able to fix them all. And while depth will be a problem given all that you really can't concern yourself with it - you just need to hope he does a much better job days 2 and 3 of the draft.

The OL is fine. It's not good enough to play from behind against a unit like that one, but it's effective enough against lesser ones or playing with a lead against better ones. But why has it been exposed against better units? Because Dorsey bet on Corbett and was wrong. He also didn't bring in adequate insurance at TE should something happen to Njoku. Darren Fells isn't anything special, but he's an effective blocker and can make a couple plays in the passing game on occasion. Dorsey's solution (Harris) sucks at both. So the problem at tackle became a bigger problem because he made the positions around it worse. But it's still only a problem when playing from behind against stout pass rush's like Pittsburgh and San Fran, which should not have happened yesterday but the defense imploded.

Moving Peppers was the price of poker, but Dorsey didn't adequately replace him (Burnett) then put that position at peril as it relied on Randall's explosive personality. In an attempt to try to improve that position (Murray) he made the DE depth (Ogbah) worse. Both of those positions were major factors yesterday. As was corner, again. Was it fair to put Greedy in a starting position day one? Maybe not, but he's been an issue all season. A little coincidental that as soon as he leaves the game due to injury his backup creates a turnover. Speaking of rookies, we've needed too much of them at LB because Dorsey didn't bring anything in behind Schobert and Kirksey.

And while all the minions are lazily pointing their finger at Freddie as the problem who is the genius that hired him? John Dorsey's winter 2019. He was given a treasure trove of assets when he was hired and has done a poor job with them. 
Unfortunately you have to play all scenarios in the NFL and playing from behind happens a lot so the O-Line is not fine.  

If you want to nit pick individual Dorsey moves then don't overlook he is the only GM to get the QB right.  Start from the Willy Wonka Golden ticket move because we've seen that is the move that matters above all.  Darren Fells?  Is that the thing you want to damn Dorsey for?  Corbett?  Shon Coleman for Mitchell Schwartz ring any bells?  The team did not start when Dorsey came, the legacy can be ripped to shreds of every GM leading up to Dorsey but he got the QB.  That puts Dorsey head and shoulders above all of the Joe Banner/Mike Lombardis and even Sashi's of the world.  Dorsey not only got Baker he moved up for Mahomes the previous year.  You get the franchise QB at GM and then work from that point.  

Dorsey's problem was Kitchens after he built the roster where it could and should have competed.  We saw the early season issues.  We saw he couldn't get plays in on time.  We saw trying to force personnel packages that were not working.  We saw the ill advised challenges and game/clock management.  

Insinuating this would have gone fine with Mike McCarthy is asinine. Kill the established NFL HC theory with all of the fire. The ones available objectively suck.
Dude.  Have a take without the venom.  Asinine?  Saying the O-line is fine and then agreeing we need to replace the starting tackles is ...

If we had an established HC we win two more games of those early close games we lost by bonehead challenges/coaching decisions heading into Pittsburgh and beat them.  My opinion.

Dorsey's problem was Kitchens after he built the roster where it could and should have competed.  We saw the early season issues.  We saw he couldn't get plays in on time.  We saw trying to force personnel packages that were not working.  We saw the ill advised challenges and game/clock management.  
Well said.  It was like he is in over his head and has no clue he is drowning.  He cannot handle the speed and variables that are required of the job.  He might be better suited as an AC but the HC role shows his flaws week in and week out.  

Dude.  Have a take without the venom.  Asinine?  Saying the O-line is fine and then agreeing we need to replace the starting tackles is ...

If we had an established HC we win two more games of those early close games we lost by bonehead challenges/coaching decisions heading into Pittsburgh and beat them.  My opinion.
This team is a failure with Mike McCarthy. It's worse with Adam Gase. Don't hide behind generic 'established head coach.' The ones available sucked. It's why they didn't have jobs when we were looking for one.

One more expectation...  while many people saw the talent influx as amazing, I expected it to put us on equal footing with most NFL teams.  That is, we went from abysmal to average.

Well said.  It was like he is in over his head and has no clue he is drowning.  He cannot handle the speed and variables that are required of the job.  He might be better suited as an AC but the HC role shows his flaws week in and week out.  
He is improving.  He fixed the issue getting plays in on time.  He's working in personnel packages that work best.  He has other issues but he has shown he will fix issues once they come to the surface.  I'm not calling for his head but you have to note what has happened up to this point and keep looking for other issues because he's never done this before on any level.  

The thing is no Browns fan wants to go through another HC search.  At this point we are all-in with Kitchens so lets play it out.

This team is a failure with Mike McCarthy. It's worse with Adam Gase. Don't hide behind generic 'established head coach.' The ones available sucked. It's why they didn't have jobs when we were looking for one.
MacCarthy or Bruce Arians would have gotten plays in on time, any non-novice would have used personnel packages that worked and an established coach with a voice to challenge Dorsey probably would not have been content to go into the season with the current OTs.

Unfortunately you have to play all scenarios in the NFL and playing from behind happens a lot so the O-Line is not fine.  

If you want to nit pick individual Dorsey moves then don't overlook he is the only GM to get the QB right.  Start from the Willy Wonka Golden ticket move because we've seen that is the move that matters above all.  Darren Fells?  Is that the thing you want to damn Dorsey for?  Corbett?  Shon Coleman for Mitchell Schwartz ring any bells?  The team did not start when Dorsey came, the legacy can be ripped to shreds of every GM leading up to Dorsey but he got the QB.  That puts Dorsey head and shoulders above all of the Joe Banner/Mike Lombardis and even Sashi's of the world.  Dorsey not only got Baker he moved up for Mahomes the previous year.  You get the franchise QB at GM and then work from that point.  

This team without Trent Williams: 5-7

This team with Trent Williams: also 5-7

It needs improved and it also didn't lead to losses. It can be both. Is it a priority to safety? :shrug:  But because of Dorsey's mistakes he's probably going to have to choose and won't be able to address the rest of the roster.

Nobody in their right mind is absolving previous regime's and their mistakes. Bringing them up is simply a distraction from what's right in front of us. One major positive the Dorsey defender's conveniently ignore is the amount of assets he was given by Sashi. What little he's gotten from them should be more jarring, but because everyone is just falling in line with the blame Freddie narrative it gets a pass.

This, again, is a generic complaint.  How many times were plays not "in on time"?  "Ill advised challenges" is plain wrong.  Winning a challenge doesn't mean it's ill-advised.  There are times that challenges must be made due to the play's effect on the game, win or lose.  Personnel packages?  Seriously?  This is how fans react -- we find someone to blame & then manufacture reasons, even when we are not part of the process with real information.

This team without Trent Williams: 5-7

This team with Trent Williams: also 5-7

It needs improved and it also didn't lead to losses. It can be both. Is it a priority to safety? :shrug:  But because of Dorsey's mistakes he's probably going to have to choose and won't be able to address the rest of the roster.

Nobody in their right mind is absolving previous regime's and their mistakes. Bringing them up is simply a distraction from what's right in front of us. One major positive the Dorsey defender's conveniently ignore is the amount of assets he was given by Sashi. What little he's gotten from them should be more jarring, but because everyone is just falling in line with the blame Freddie narrative it gets a pass.
Trent Williams?  Sashi is relevant because if you want to replace Dorsey who are you going to get? 

Sashi did not get the franchise but bypassed Wentz and DeShaun Watson.  I love how he accumulated picks and how he undermined Hue with AJ McCarrons botched trade but he failed at the biggest piece of the puzzle.  

In a little less than two years Dorsey has gotten us:

• Baker Mayfield
  • Nick Chubb
  • Jarvis Landry
  • Kareem Hunt
  • Odell Beckum Junior
  • Olivier Vernon (who has played much better than you might think)
  • (he traded Kizer for) Demarious Randall who did play well at a position of need
Anything below Baker is gravy so I have no idea why you think Dorsey is the problem unless your deflecting from Freddie.

Sashi Brown had 27 draft picks in two years with four 1st round picks.  He missed getting the franchise QB twice.  He along with Banner/Lombardi acquired extra picks but missed on too many.  Dorsey had the table set and I think he should have leveraged for more picks but he nailed his picks and he got us Kareem and OBJ.  He got the franchise and surrounded him with skill players.  He put Freddie in position to win but we have to factor in the learning curve.  We're suffering through it so might as well keep him and get help at OT.  OT is the priority because protecting the franchise takes priority.  

I have no idea why you think Dorsey is the problem unless your deflecting from Freddie.
I don't know if Freddie is part of the answer. He's given you plenty of reasons to doubt he is. He's not the source of the problem though. That's Dorsey.

He was given an unprecedented amount of assets and turned it into an interesting collection of talent, but not a team. This is a dumb team and it's not because of the coach. It's the architect that put these pieces together. He created an environment that prioritized youth and volatile personalities. If you want discipline and accountability in your culture then you need veteran glue pieces. This team lacked those. That contributed to the poor start. Then without those glue pieces the whole puzzle came unraveled once enough injuries, mental midgetness, and his blatant misses accumulated.

Whoever's idea it is to run 3 WRs 20+ yards downfield on 3rd & 7.
I just want to know the stupid reasoning for such a stupid play call. They showed the field from a wide angle and all you see is open filed from the LOS to 20 yards downfield with the WRs still running away from the QB when they only need 7 yards. I understand running one guy that deep but these idiots repeatedly run everyone that deep when they need 5-7 yards on 3rd down. Just horrible coaching, not surprising however. They did the same thing the week bonehead call the draw play on 4th and a ton. Someone came up with this stupid play and needs fired.

I don't know if Freddie is part of the answer. He's given you plenty of reasons to doubt he is. He's not the source of the problem though. That's Dorsey.

He was given an unprecedented amount of assets and turned it into an interesting collection of talent, but not a team. This is a dumb team and it's not because of the coach. It's the architect that put these pieces together. He created an environment that prioritized youth and volatile personalities. If you want discipline and accountability in your culture then you need veteran glue pieces. This team lacked those. That contributed to the poor start. Then without those glue pieces the whole puzzle came unraveled once enough injuries, mental midgetness, and his blatant misses accumulated.
Who is responsible for acquiring talent?   >>>>  NFL GM Rankings Jon Dorsey ranks #12

Who is responsible for coaching talent?  >>>>  NFL Head Coaching rankings Freddie Kitchens ranks #29

It makes sense that FF players think they can be a great NFL GM.  Dorsey has done his job.  He acquired talent.

Freddie is the HC/OC.  He is responsible for everything on his plate because he refuses to step back from duel responsibilities.  If we hadn't missed a beat from last year it would have been a disappointment but we regressed on offense.  We were leading the league in penalties but have begun to get 'better'.   (only 28th from worst)

If Dorsey were GM/OC and had direct control over the players committing penalties then I'd agree he was a problem but he isn't the OC and doesn't have direct control over the players, Freddie does.  He's getting better but if we get everything you want on a silver platter (doubtful) then who would you blame?  Anybody but Freddie?  Come on he is responsible for many of the problems.  

This year was over four weeks ago when we blew the Denver game.  Freddie has five games, he doesn't have to win them all but he can't lose the team.  If Dorsey can keep key core players and solves the OT issue and gets a viable S then the baton is in Freddie's hand.  He will have a year of learning on the job.  He will have what he needs to win.  He will have playoff expectations and he'd better fulfill them because he's had his year.   

Dorsey and Freddie are both major contributors to the larger problem.

Not to just pile on Freddie....but, the one thing he has yet to realize and execute as play caller is how to lean on the running game to carry the offense.  It's his biggest failure because that would trickle down to improving the passing game via play action (making it easier to get the ball to his elite WRs) and IMO this is quickly becoming a firing offense.  Maybe earlier in the season it was cute to think we're this great aerial team, but the writing has been on the wall now for a long time at what makes this offense click.  Zero doubt in my mind it cost us the win yesterday and likely other wins this season. 

I just want to know the stupid reasoning for such a stupid play call. They showed the field from a wide angle and all you see is open filed from the LOS to 20 yards downfield with the WRs still running away from the QB when they only need 7 yards. I understand running one guy that deep but these idiots repeatedly run everyone that deep when they need 5-7 yards on 3rd down. Just horrible coaching, not surprising however. They did the same thing the week bonehead call the draw play on 4th and a ton. Someone came up with this stupid play and needs fired.
I wish I could answer this for you.  I've been wondering about this scheme I keep seeing over and over again since September.  

Dorsey and Freddie are both major contributors to the larger problem.

Not to just pile on Freddie....but, the one thing he has yet to realize and execute as play caller is how to lean on the running game to carry the offense.  It's his biggest failure because that would trickle down to improving the passing game via play action (making it easier to get the ball to his elite WRs) and IMO this is quickly becoming a firing offense.  Maybe earlier in the season it was cute to think we're this great aerial team, but the writing has been on the wall now for a long time at what makes this offense click.  Zero doubt in my mind it cost us the win yesterday and likely other wins this season. 
I think the defense cost us the win yesterday. The game plan was to be conservative - get out to a lead then lean on them til they fell over. We got out to a lead, but instead of leaning on them til they fell over the defense checked out. Next thing we knew we were playing from behind.

The 3rd & long play calling is infuriating, but there was nothing else outside of those 3 plays yesterday that had my head buried in my face. Lots of problems yesterday, but I would not put coaching nor play calling anywhere near the top of the list.

Here's the reasoning...  The modern NFL has dynamic route trees.  Depending on the defense, a receiver is responsible for varying routes.  These routes are supposed to coincide to create opportunities.  When WRs run deep, the underneath routes are open for the TEs & RBs.  That space is also available for WRs to work back to.  It is very hard to make all that work unless the QB has time to throw and they are all on the same page.

I think the defense cost us the win yesterday. The game plan was to be conservative - get out to a lead then lean on them til they fell over. We got out to a lead, but instead of leaning on them til they fell over the defense checked out. Next thing we knew we were playing from behind.

The 3rd & long play calling is infuriating, but there was nothing else outside of those 3 plays yesterday that had my head buried in my face. Lots of problems yesterday, but I would not put coaching nor play calling anywhere near the top of the list.
Agreed.  I think some of the defensive problems lie in scheme & some lie in personnel/injuries.

Here's the reasoning...  The modern NFL has dynamic route trees.  Depending on the defense, a receiver is responsible for varying routes.  These routes are supposed to coincide to create opportunities.  When WRs run deep, the underneath routes are open for the TEs & RBs.  That space is also available for WRs to work back to.  It is very hard to make all that work unless the QB has time to throw and they are all on the same page.
This is a good point.  Our WRs have made Baker look bad at times.  The Haden INT is a great example from yesterday.  Most people probably think it was simply a horrible throw from a regressing QB.

Then that's a horrendous game plan on multiple levels, especially when you're NOT RUNNING THE BALL which is my overall point.  Was the 6 rushes in the 2nd half a legit stat I heard?  We had 23 in the game and one of the backs was going for about 7 a pop.  We weren't down 2 scores until the 4th and it still wasn't time to pack the running game in.  Not acceptable to me when that's clearly our path to offensive success.

Then that's a horrendous game plan on multiple levels, especially when you're NOT RUNNING THE BALL which is my overall point.  Was the 6 rushes in the 2nd half a legit stat I heard?  We had 23 in the game and one of the backs was going for about 7 a pop.  We weren't down 2 scores until the 4th and it still wasn't time to pack the running game in.  Not acceptable to me when that's clearly our path to offensive success.
Review the drive summary's. I expect you to find a few plays to criticize (I mentioned 3), but I think the above summary is much less egregious once context is applied. 

*Drive 1 - good drive - no qualms with going to the air 2nd & goal at the 6, FG

*Drive 2 - great play by Pittsburgh on the 3rd & 4 play to Hunt, punt

*Drive 3 - great drive, TD

*Drive 4 - stupid 3rd & long play #1, punt

*Drive 5 - end of the half, Hunt ran for 32 yards with the defense in prevent which inflated the overall ypc line you cited

*Drive 6 - drive went fine until that very questionable holding penalty, running on 2nd & 20 would be stupid and that was the play Baker fumbled

*Drive 7 - actually, found a 4th play I hated - the 2nd & 7 play to Demetrius Harris , precursor to the 3rd & 7 play @lod001's mentioned at least twice, punt

*Drive 8 - good drive, Harris dropped a TD on 2nd down, FG

*Drive 9 - great play by Edmunds on 2nd down, he doesn't make that play and Hunt scores - next play is one of those bad 3rd & long's though, punt

*Drive 10 - desperation thwarted by Landry's bad route, INT

---

So, did we run less than week 11? Yep, we were also playing 2 scores behind instead of ahead. So of course we will. And if you discount the runs on the end of first half drive when Pittsburgh was very clearly not playing the run we net 70 yards on 21 carries (3.3 ypc). That's fine when you're playing with a lead, but from behind? Nope.

other than the GM, head coach, offense, and defense, i think the Browns are a great team!
As much negativity as I have spewed today I actually don't think we are in that bad of shape...if all fronts are on the same page anyway. This is why I mentioned agendas somewhere upstream. This is the time of year that individuals start pressing their own for self preservation purposes. If those aren't apparent over the next month there will be signs for optimism. Need to weather those storms though.

The thing I've noticed most about Freddie is his lack of situational awareness which both of these posts elude to. When the run is working he is quick to go away from it and to @Bobcat10 point even when you get stuffed a few a plays, you have to stick with your strength. And right now, your strength isn't pass protection, especially against a leading DE/LB in the league. How do you combat an aggressive pass rush? With a draw, NOT A MOTHER####ING SHOVEL PASS THAT YOUR QB IS OBVIOUSLY NOT COMFORTABLE EXECUTING.

Against the Dolphins it didn't seem like we ran the ball hardly at all but between Chubb & Hunt they had over 30 touches. It didn't seem like that because I don't remember the last sustained drive the Browns had where the predominate play call was the run. Regardless of how well the offense is chugging along on Chubb/Hunt's legs, the play calling reverts to some deep ball that stalls a drive, draws a penalty or in some other way kills the drive. You can only scream "RUN THE BALL FREDDIE" so many times before the neighbors are checking on you.

Well, in these instances, there is not a single receiver inside he hash marks even remotely close to the 1st down marker. 3 WRs are 20 yards downfield and still running, the RB is way outside if even running a route and who knows where the TE(s) are. they were no where in the picture. It was a wide open middle of the field.

And there is no excuse for 3 WRs at all be running 20 yards downfield on 3rd & 7.

What do the Pats do? Run Edelman right into that open area for a 1st down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had totally forgotten about this sad story but we're going to need Chris Smith to step up.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Browns notebook: Finding his new normal after girlfriend’s death, Chris Smith prepared to step in for Myles Garrett
Mary Kay Cabot✔@MaryKayCabot

The #Browns have released DE Chris Smith, a league source tells me

9:19 AM - Dec 3, 2019

-----------------------------------

Couldn't get over the loss and it effected him on the field. :sadbanana:

So...I don't think we're winning all 4 anyway...but, hypothetically speaking - if we win out I think it's highly probable we are a week 17 Pittsburgh loss at Baltimore away from making the playoffs. Again, don't think it's happening, but I was digging around for something to keep me engaged and it's pretty solid. Assuming we lose (at least) one of these I won't watch week 17, but I found what I needed to justify staying locked in. For now...

So...I don't think we're winning all 4 anyway...but, hypothetically speaking - if we win out I think it's highly probable we are a week 17 Pittsburgh loss at Baltimore away from making the playoffs. Again, don't think it's happening, but I was digging around for something to keep me engaged and it's pretty solid. Assuming we lose (at least) one of these I won't watch week 17, but I found what I needed to justify staying locked in. For now...
“Soooo, you’re saying there’s a chance!! “

I don't think there's a snowballs chance against Baltimore unless something changes dramatically and frankly, I've felt for a long time we are going to drop one to Cincy. It would be such a Cleveland thing to do.

I don't think there's a snowballs chance against Baltimore unless something changes dramatically and frankly, I've felt for a long time we are going to drop one to Cincy. It would be such a Cleveland thing to do.
I think we have more than a snowball's chance against the Ravens, but nit picking aside I don't disagree with your general sentiment. I think there's a substantially greater chance of something else embarrassing happening between now and the end of the month than us winning 4 in a row. I was just shocked to see once I went digging that short of Pittsburgh winning week 17 I think 9-7 makes it...and as long as it's not just us and Tennessee at 9-7 then we will win the tiebreaker regardless of the scenario.

I think we have more than a snowball's chance against the Ravens, but nit picking aside I don't disagree with your general sentiment. I think there's a substantially greater chance of something else embarrassing happening between now and the end of the month than us winning 4 in a row. I was just shocked to see once I went digging that short of Pittsburgh winning week 17 I think 9-7 makes it...and as long as it's not just us and Tennessee at 9-7 then we will win the tiebreaker regardless of the scenario.
I'd love to see it because it would do wonders for an otherwise disappointing season just don't think we can get there from here with the way we've been performing.

The radio heads have been pimping a stat the last few days (speaking of interesting stats) about how Freddie ranks among the other first year coaches. Dude in Green Bay is crushing it but then comes Freddie at 5-7. Doesn't really mean anything but just thought it was interesting.

I'd love to see it because it would do wonders for an otherwise disappointing season just don't think we can get there from here with the way we've been performing.

The radio heads have been pimping a stat the last few days (speaking of interesting stats) about how Freddie ranks among the other first year coaches. Dude in Green Bay is crushing it but then comes Freddie at 5-7. Doesn't really mean anything but just thought it was interesting.
All that does for me is confirm what I said about McCarthy earlier this week.

Pittsburgh could still afford to lose to Baltimore as long as they take care of business against the Cardinals, Jets and Bills (at home).  Are these projections assuming Pittsburgh is losing to Buffalo as well?

Pittsburgh could still afford to lose to Baltimore as long as they take care of business against the Cardinals, Jets and Bills (at home).  Are these projections assuming Pittsburgh is losing to Buffalo as well?
I think you lose one of those three. Couldn't tell you which one, but I'd be surprised if you win them all. I was wary Duck may be a step up from Rudolph (he clearly was), but asking him to lead the offense to enough points in each to win three in a row? And, yes, I get the team was winning despite Mason sucking. If the defense goes unconscious again they certainly could no matter what Duck does. All that just strikes me as a tall ask when looking at a 3 game sample.

What really opened my eyes was Tennessee's schedule - @ OAK, v. HOU, v. NO, @ HOU. Woof.

I think you lose one of those three. Couldn't tell you which one, but I'd be surprised if you win them all. I was wary Duck may be a step up from Rudolph (he clearly was), but asking him to lead the offense to enough points in each to win three in a row? And, yes, I get the team was winning despite Mason sucking. If the defense goes unconscious again they certainly could no matter what Duck does. All that just strikes me as a tall ask when looking at a 3 game sample.

What really opened my eyes was Tennessee's schedule - @ OAK, v. HOU, v. NO, @ HOU. Woof.
Yup you’re probably right.  In all honesty, I don’t really have complete confidence in any of the games that the Steelers have left.  They could lose any and I wouldn’t be surprised.  However, as has been mentioned here, it also wouldn’t completely shock me to see the Bengals beat the Browns.  That’s the state of the NFL.   Very few elite teams.

I think Tennessee has a good chance to split with Houston, and maybe sweep them. Tennessee's offense is playing really good right now and should be able to score on Houston's defense.

Exchange w/Browns fan and Bloom.

---------------------------------------------------------

CO-47‏ @SadFactory 18h18 hours ago

I don't think they did anywhere near enough to try and slow down the rush.

Didn't move Baker out the pocket, not much pa from under center, draws, their screen game sucks...

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom 18h18 hours ago

kitchens is overmatched he's not really even in the game, yup

--------------------------------------------------------

Not much PA as Chubb/Hunt were barely used in 2nd half.  Another puzzling decision.

i could see them losing to Arizona.  they are awful on the road.  

they’ve beaten the Ravens and Jets on the road this season.  Baltimore looks like a complete fluke game now.  

they’ve beaten the Ravens and Jets on the road this season.  Baltimore looks like a complete fluke game now.  
K1 has a hamstring injury.  He was a late add to the injury list last week listed as QUESTIONABLE and had his worst game of the year so he still may be nursing that injury which clearly effected him last Sunday.

We had Myles and Olivier healthy in the first game.  HUGE.

As a Ravens fan, I wouldn't say it was a fluke. I'd say the Browns destroyed a very inept defense that has undergone one of the more amazing in-season transformations I've seen. Of their top 6 DBs from the first game, only 2 remain in the same position, with Baltimore adding Marcus Peters (trade) and Jimmy Smith (return from injury) at CB and moving Brandon Carr from starting CB to dime safety. Also their premier run stuffer, Brandon Williams, was an unexpected late scratch that day. 

If you look at the defensive snap counts from Week 4 to what they will likely be in Week 16, the only Ravens who will be in the top 11 for both games will be: Marlon Humphrey, Earl Thomas, Matthew Judon, and maybe Brandon Carr (though he'll be playing a lot less than the 67 snaps he played on Sept. 29). Otherwise, there's been a complete makeover. And a Baltimore defense that in Weeks 2-4 gave up passing totals of 329 (AZ), 363 (KC) and 337 (CLE) has allowed an average of 192 per game since.

As a Ravens fan, I wouldn't say it was a fluke. I'd say the Browns destroyed a very inept defense that has undergone one of the more amazing in-season transformations I've seen. Of their top 6 DBs from the first game, only 2 remain in the same position, with Baltimore adding Marcus Peters (trade) and Jimmy Smith (return from injury) at CB and moving Brandon Carr from starting CB to dime safety. Also their premier run stuffer, Brandon Williams, was an unexpected late scratch that day. 

If you look at the defensive snap counts from Week 4 to what they will likely be in Week 16, the only Ravens who will be in the top 11 for both games will be: Marlon Humphrey, Earl Thomas, Matthew Judon, and maybe Brandon Carr (though he'll be playing a lot less than the 67 snaps he played on Sept. 29). Otherwise, there's been a complete makeover. And a Baltimore defense that in Weeks 2-4 gave up passing totals of 329 (AZ), 363 (KC) and 337 (CLE) has allowed an average of 192 per game since.
Hence my point yesterday, the Browns don't have a snowballs chance in this game.

I would agree with this.  The Baltimore team you are seeing now is world's apart from the one that lost to Cleveland and nearly lost in OT to Pittsburgh.   

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/after-pedestrian-outing-versus-steelers-odell-beckham-jr-seems-destined-for-forgettable-first-season-in-cleveland-film-review.html

is Beckham injured?

is Kitchens just this inept?

what the heck is going on with this team?

i just can’t wrap my head around it, and i had relatively modest expectations for this year.  
If you had modest expectations for the year I think you're going to get it.   They may not have looked good doing it but they''ll likely finish 7-9 or 8-8 which is about the best you could hope for from a rookie head coach with dubious qualifications.

The hype surrounding the team was off the charts though.  My in-laws are all Browns fans and they were expecting 12-4 at worst, the division title and legitimate shot at the Super Bowl.  A lot of national sportswriters were buying into the hype too.

I think the Browns are going to be in mix for the AFC North for the foreseeable future but they should consider firing Kitchens and getting a better head coach.

If you had modest expectations for the year I think you're going to get it.   They may not have looked good doing it but they''ll likely finish 7-9 or 8-8 which is about the best you could hope for from a rookie head coach with dubious qualifications.

The hype surrounding the team was off the charts though.  My in-laws are all Browns fans and they were expecting 12-4 at worst, the division title and legitimate shot at the Super Bowl.  A lot of national sportswriters were buying into the hype too.

I think the Browns are going to be in mix for the AFC North for the foreseeable future but they should consider firing Kitchens and getting a better head coach.
i was expecting for something like 9-7, 8-8.  

but the way they’ve gone about getting there has definitely been strange to say the least.  

did anyone really think Beckham would only have 2 TDs?

Users who are viewing this thread