What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

@Sigmund Bloom seemed to hint at lingering problems with Jarvis Landry's injury on Twitter.  Anyone have info on what he may be referring to?
Haven't heard of any setbacks, but the February surgery came with a 6+ month rehab schedule.  The only thing I saw was a very minor positive report.  I'll keep looking & post more if I see anything. 

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

labral repair (6-8 month recovery) and removed bone pieces (ugh) embedded in the labrum, a rare twist to this injury

Aaron Bodzin@abodz2000

What do we know about Landry's surgery?

3:17 PM · May 15, 2020

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Found nothing on Landry's surgery that indicates a problem.

Dr. Jene hasn't posted anything since January - PRIOR to COVID19 and he hasn't been on the Audible.  If Sig had asked him about the bone pieces embedded in the labrum as an alarm it hasn't been shared on-record.  

Found nothing on Landry's surgery that indicates a problem.

@Sigmund Bloom seemed to hint at lingering problems/concerns with Jarvis Landry's injury on Twitter.  Anyone have info on what he may be referring to?
Landry interview revealed nothing negative.  Rehab is on schedule or slightly ahead.  When asked about never missing a game, he sounded positive.  When asked whether he's glad he had surgery, he was very positive.  

Browns WR Jarvis Landry (hip surgery) said he's "a little bit ahead of schedule" in rehab.

“The rehab processes is going great,” Landry said Wednesday during a Zoom video conference with Browns beat writers. “It’s just a little difficult obviously with some of the modality type of things that I’ve been doing that obviously with quarantine and everything I hadn’t been able to have access to. You know, I can’t predict when exactly I’ll be on the field, whether that’s July, August or September. But obviously my [anticipated] return date is sometime in August.” Just three months into a 6-8 month timetable following labrum surgery in February, an August forecast would put Landry on the field at the earliest date possible. He's still expected to be ready for Week 1.  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have offered "the most money to date" to free agent Jadeveon Clowney.

"It's the richest offer on the table and he hasn't taken it," Schefter said in an appearance on The Next Level with ESPN Cleveland. "So why is that? I don't know. Is that not wanting to be in that city? Is that a lack of belief in the organization? I don't know what it is. But there's no doubt Cleveland has offered the most money to date." It's possible the 27-year-old free agent is simply holding out until players report for camp before signing. Whatever the case, Clowney has reportedly received "multiple" offers from the Browns, Titans, and Seahawks and has not agreed to any. We would expect this drama to end in the early summer.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

May 27, 2020, 5:08 PM ET

Interesting projections sparring an interesting Twitter conversation, go to the link to see the chart.

--------------------------------

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

Cleveland Browns 2020 #FantasyFootball Projections. Expect a much more run-heavy attack with some increased passing efficiency. #MoyerProjections

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  👉 👉👉  LINK Cleveland Browns 2020 projections

---------------------------------

Jax Falcone@DynoGameTheory

So we are projecting Cleveland to be a bottom 2 team in pass attempts?

OBJ targets per game -

• Career - 10.1
  • 2020 proj - 6.6
Not sure about that.

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

May 26

All indications this offseason are stefanski will try to replicate what he had in Minn. upgraded OL, frequent 2 TE sets. I projected 53% pass split on 970 plays (15 more pass attempts than 2019 Vikings). Diggs got 6.3 tgt/gm and I expect OBJ to fill the same role.

---------------------------------

The_FF_Fanatic@The_FF_Fanatic

I agree on your overall theme (heavy rushing), but those stats would put them at 56 plays per game. WAS was 32nd in NFL last year at 55.3, no other team was below 58. Think you're still short-selling the pass volume even in a run-heavy scheme.

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

Cleveland ran 973 plays in 2019. Kevin Stefanski ran 970 plays as OC in Minn in 2019. I don’t see any reason to up-project their total plays in 2020.

--------------------------------

At first glance I didn't agree with the OBJ and Landry stats but he makes a reasonable argument but if both OBJ and Landry are healthy I think the projection will be conservative.

Their is more of this conversation at this link.  👉  LINK Twitter J Moyer @JMoyerFB Cleveland Browns 2020 #FantasyFootball Projections

Source: ESPN.com - Jim Trotter

Cleveland Browns DE Adrian Clayborn is ranked second with a quarterback pressure rate of 13.8 percent out of the 11 players in the league with at least 500 pass-rush snaps over the last two seasons, according to Next Gen Stats. The only player in that group with a higher pressure rate is new teammate Myles Garrett.

Not used to seeing this thread tucked away on the 4th page.  How about some quick hits?

- Vernon restructured his deal.  Yay?

- Njoku wants to be traded.  That writing was on the wall the day Hooper signed, IMO.  Bye Felicia.

- Baker and OBJ showing some swagger online and saying this will be their best year yet!  Hard to top last year's forgetful failure.

I don't think Chief's getting moved unless an offer justifies it and I'd be surprised if a team makes such an offer - thinking something better than last year's Duke Johnson trade. If he wants to go elsewhere then I think he's either going to have to earn it first or tank his value in the process. 

Potential huge blow today losing 2nd round pick Grant to an Achilles injury.  I fear the worst.  Just what this team can't afford.

So we're done here, right?
Staaaahp, first game's not for 16 days and barring more injuries nothing matters between now and then. Season goals are simple - determine if Baker as the future QB and make the playoffs, anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus.

Staaaahp, first game's not for 16 days and barring more injuries nothing matters between now and then. Season goals are simple - determine if Baker as the future QB and make the playoffs, anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus.
playoffs are a best case scenario this year.   

I’d settle for 8-8 and no blow outs.  

A look at the league's team-wide rankings shows that 14 teams had featured an bad throw rate of over 18% last season:

Lions (22.7%)

Packers (21.3%)

Patriots (20.7%)

Buccaneers (20.7%)

Rams (20.2%)

Bills (20%)

Steelers (19.8%)

Panthers (19.2%)

Colts (19.1%)

Bengals (18.8%)

Dolphins (18.5%)

Seahawks (18.4%)

Redskins (18.4%)

Giants (18.3%)

Browns not there in the 14

The potential of the team for this year and for the next couple of years rests on Mayfield.

Huge addition by subtraction with this move.

Third year's a charm for Baker Mayfield

What is medium for Mayfield?
Before the Browns' Week 15 game in Arizona last season, Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph told the FOX broadcast team that "we know exactly what [the Browns] are going to do" based on their formations. When a veteran coordinator is confident enough to express that out loud, something is seriously wrong. Joseph proved prophetic. By the end of the depressing game, it took Mayfield 19 plays to score a garbage-time touchdown to cut the final score to 38-24. Browns coach Freddie Kitchens was fired two weeks later.
Defenses knowing plays by formation allows them to attack. 

Terrible offensive line play lead to a lot of pressure.

Failure to run made play-action un-effective.

The long-derided Browns offensive line was average. Mayfield ran into many of his sacks, and defenses knew that he was always going to roll right at the first sign of trouble. The second-year QB was effective when the Browns ran play-action, but his numbers without play-action were positively Manzielian: 
We addressed the O-Line.

T JEDRICK WILLS JR., CLEVELAND BROWNS

T JEDRICK WILLS JR., CLEVELAND BROWNS

Among the several issues with the Browns' performance in 2019 was the offensive tackle group, which caused Mayfield to routinely abandon the pocket (infamously to the right). Greg Robinson, Chris Hubbard and Justin McCray all saw considerable time at tackle last year, and all three produced below-average pass-blocking grades relative to the position.

Cleveland went out in free agency and paid big money for one of the premier tackles on the open market in Jack Conklin, who is a reliable top run-blocker at the position (fifth in run-block grade in 2019) and an above-average pass-protector. To fill the other spot, the Browns waited until the 2020 NFL Draft and snagged Alabama’s Jedrick Wills at 10th overall.

Our confidence in Wills doing so: We are confident in Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham Jr. fixing their glaring miscommunication errors from 2019 and getting back to form in 2020 under Kevin Stefanski. The tackles were the biggest question mark this offseason, but both Conklin and Wills should be huge upgrades at right and left tackle, respectively.

Wills’ play is like Conklin's in that you can count on him to pave holes for the rushing attack — which Stefanski will love — but he isn’t on that same near-elite level in pass protection, which still makes Wills a question mark entering 2020. He was the sixth-highest graded FBS tackle in run-block grade his final year at Alabama, but there is reason to believe his pass protection might take some time to develop, given that he had an 82.5 pass-block grade and allowed 13 pressures on the year.
RG was an issue last year.  

Looks like we 'may' have found an answer.

Browns’ Wyatt Teller emerges from garages, aims to be ‘reliable at right guard for the foreseeable future’

------------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Browns RG = the competition that wasn't.

"By the time he returned to Browns headquarters, [Wyatt Teller] had gained 16 pounds of lean muscle and lost three pounds of fat, weighing in at 315 after finishing the 2019 season at 302."

--------------------------------------------------

The injured key players 'appear' healthy.   O-Line looks like it 'could' be much improved.  Baker didn't do commercials and  lost his paunch.  No Freddie.  Hmnnn.

The Man With No Name said:
Hope I'm wrong but I am feeling a blowout by Baltimore
Not thinking a blowout but I'm not feeling a win either. Too many negatives in the column to have confidence against that team. Having Garrett back will be huge for the D and I'd like to think the offense will look 100 times better than last year with an adult at the helm, just don't think they've had enough time to bring all the changes together into a cohesive unit. I think they will get there just not this week. Make me a believer boys!

The Man With No Name said:
Not thinking a blowout but I'm not feeling a win either. Too many negatives in the column to have confidence against that team. Having Garrett back will be huge for the D and I'd like to think the offense will look 100 times better than last year with an adult at the helm, just don't think they've had enough time to bring all the changes together into a cohesive unit. I think they will get there just not this week. Make me a believer boys!
Last year Myles got handled by OT Orlando Brown who held him to only 1 tackle, 0 sacks in the only game he played against them.

OBJ got handled by Marlon Humphrey who held him to 2 receptions for 20 yards.

To make a game out of it those two have to do much better.

We've got a rookie HC, two rookies starting on the offensive line, injuries in the secondary and at our thin LB corps going against the top scoring offense in the league who have a veteran coaching staff.  

I'm terrible calling games so I won't.  I'm more interested to see the new offense and how Baker runs it.

Well coached teams with continuity year-over-year have an even greater advantage early in this particular season than they already did in prior years. I'll be very surprised if we win. And I expect more than a few wtf moments. New coaching staff, new offense, new defense, extremely limited offseason (and training camp), and no preseason games. 

I just hope to see enough on both sides of the ball to be confident in a win a week from today.

Two things that concern me: 

Will BAL look like the well-oiled machine that KC did (ie picking up where they left off)? 

What's Jed's timetable look like on his way to  stardom?

MAC_32 said:
Lots of reasons we may lose, but that ain't it. Y'all ripped last year's OL unit to shreds and we still romped in this game. 
so you’re taking the field on why they lose.  

sounds like a Mac move.  

MAC_32 said:
Lots of reasons we may lose, but that ain't it. Y'all ripped last year's OL unit to shreds and we still romped in this game. 
Mayfield was running for his life most of the game. 

at least he’s learned to throw the ball away.  

Last edited by a moderator:
so you’re taking the field on why they lose.  

sounds like a Mac move.  
Nah, we didn't lose cause of the OL. We lost cause of everything. My bar was quite low, but that didn't even reach it.

Hopefully the ole nfl rules sticks for Thursday - teams are at their best when we are expecting the worst. 

Lots to complain about, but that's nothing new.  

Anybody got a JPG of an orange helmet with a dog bone on it?  I want to give out weekly "Bone Head" awards. Nothing gripes me like veterans committing unforced errors. 

Yea never mind, same ole same ole...a 1-19-1 record, 15 losses AT HOME, and an NFL record 13 straight losses in the opener  :coffee:

A few teams weren't ready for the opener.  Rookie HC calling plays, special teams looked really-really-really bad.

Rookie OLT looked 'good' in pass-pro even with the one hold call which was a 'good' hold on his part.  Running game produced very well when used but I think I saw a few 'stumbles' by the rookie on a few push blocks in the slide-zone scheme but every time I checked his pass-pro he looked very good.  He got lots of help from Bitonio but he looked really good from my POV.

Baker, ugh.  Its the first game and the overall team wasn't ready but lots of the same miscues with OBJ.  His INT was a tip at the LOS and he had another tip so he's got to clean that up.  The Ravens have some of the best CBs in the game and were excellent in coverage but it seemed like he held the ball too long trying to find stuff downfield or left easy pickings hoping for a big gain.  

Everything done this off-season was set-up for Baker and he didn't produce.  The O-Line is not perfect but they did their job, he had a lot of time.  He was simply off.  The clock is ticking.  He needs to step up.  

Short week so its a bad game to evaluate, Jed is hurt so if he can't play our line could be an issue Thursday.  

Consider yesterday a preseason game.  The team wasn't ready.  Garrett got handled 'again' by the Ravens, one solo and one QB pressure.  I'm looking for a big bounce back game by the defense facing a rookie QB.  

The rest of the season is about evaluating Baker and the rookie HC at this point.  Short week but Stefanski has to field a team that looks ready to play Thursday.

Short week so its a bad game to evaluate, Jed is hurt so if he can't play our line could be an issue Thursday.  
I disagree. This is a great opportunity to see how they all bounce back through some adversity. This is reality in the NFL. How will you react to some things beyond your control going sideways? 

Consider yesterday a preseason game.  The team wasn't ready.  Garrett got handled 'again' by the Ravens, one solo and one QB pressure.  I'm looking for a big bounce back game by the defense facing a rookie QB.  
Our defense showed some signs of life in the first half when we won up front. We clearly didn't win enough though. Ingram and Bosa, among others, ran free around the Bengals line yesterday. I will be scathing mad if the DL isn't a force Thursday. 

The rest of the season is about evaluating Baker 
Agree with this part. I'm not adding Stefanski to the plate after one game, but that move to start force feeding Beckham has my eyebrow raised. The start to the game was uneven, but we seemed to be establishing a rhythm then that happened. The game came unraveled those next 3 drives. If you're going to do that then I think you have to do it at the outset...not shoehorn it midstream. 

But this season was always about figuring out if Baker's the guy. He was given the tools to be successful in the offseason. I'm not going to put his head on a pike after one lemon, especially when considering that offseason. But to state the obvious, he can't do that again. 

Ravens fan here, I actually thought the Browns showed some promising signs but the game just got away from them. OBJ dropping that first down conversion led to a 10-point (or more) swing and then the 99-yard drive put the game into trash time. Once they abandoned Chubb, it was over.

But I was very impressed with both running backs. For the entire first half, if the Ravens DL didn't stuff the play at the line, they were immediately into the secondary. The Ravens' LBs weren't making any plays on the RBs. It felt really strange how much they forced the ball to OBJ, they were much more successful doing literally anything else.

Also the Run D shut down the Ravens running attack big time. Maybe they were overloading the box and daring Baltimore to beat them throwing the ball - which they did, but it's a sensible strategy. This was the offense that shattered a 40-year old rushing record by averaging 200+ ypg last year and they didn't crack 100 until the end. Special teams were a disaster in every phase. 

Depending on the spread, I might actually beat on Cleveland this week. I think it was a growing pains game and that the Browns are better than they showed.

Users who are viewing this thread