What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (13 Viewers)

Put the team in a GD bubble because they can't seem to protect themselves.  Make it a strongly hinted 'choice' to participate in the bubble and anyone who doesn't want to check into a hotel can be isolated so this doesn't keep spreading.

The Man With No Name said:
Browns put Bryant, Sendejo on COVID-19 list
close contact, so should be available sunday, barring a + test. 

bryant definitely needed. sendejo...............
We had all sorts of communication problems against the Jets.  Redwine is clueless and was so far out of position, had no idea how to handle pick plays, we need Sendejo more than people realize.  He's the quarterback of the DBs, get people lined up where they should be.  He's slow and lacks athleticism but we need his football IQ because Redwine to paraphrase Groucho Marx.

"Gentleman, Redwine here may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

A coach and a practice squad player tested positive.  Uh oh..
A hypothetical:  what would the NFL do if enough Browns tested positive or had close contact that they could not safely take the field on Sunday?   

1. Reschedule as soon as enough players were cleared to take the field.  Too bad if Steelers and Browns have short weeks for start of playoffs

2. Cancel the game and just go by winning percentage and tiebreakers

3. Give Browns a forfeit

I think they would likely re-schedule for Monday if possible but if it went any later in the week they would just cancel the game.  There is no way I could see the NFL make Cleveland forfeit.

A hypothetical:  what would the NFL do if enough Browns tested positive or had close contact that they could not safely take the field on Sunday?   

1. Reschedule as soon as enough players were cleared to take the field.  Too bad if Steelers and Browns have short weeks for start of playoffs

3. Give Browns a forfeit

I think they would likely re-schedule for Monday if possible but if it went any later in the week they would just cancel the game.  There is no way I could see the NFL make Cleveland forfeit.
Move the game to Mon-Tue. Only reasonable answer. They can't cancel unless the whole team comes down with it and a forfeit isn't in the cards for the NFL this year. They made the Bronco's use a WR as QB and I'm not sure that's the floor. It's just all we have to go by so far.

So we had beer fridges when Browns got back to winning - what's in the fridge when they make the playoffs?
Pretty much anything from Great Lakes Brewing imo.

Move the game to Mon-Tue. Only reasonable answer. They can't cancel unless the whole team comes down with it and a forfeit isn't in the cards for the NFL this year. They made the Bronco's use a WR as QB and I'm not sure that's the floor. It's just all we have to go by so far.

Pretty much anything from Great Lakes Brewing imo.
I've been there several times.  Excellent beer

3. Give Browns a forfeit

With a forfeit neither team gets paid from what I understand...not going to happen

3. Give Browns a forfeit

Precedent has been set.  They'd reschedule just as they did with Baltimore when they couldn't field a team.  

Considering the circumstances whoever wins this game will slink away with a hollow victory.  

AdamSchefter

Browns’ training facility is closed again this morning as COVID issues and troubles mount in Cleveland, per source.

Two player positive tests in Cleveland today.

One player positive today was from a player who has been in isolation but was in close contact to someone outside the building.

The four WRs out last week are expected to rejoin the team once it can practice as early as today.

-Schefter

eta: He didnt say it, but 99% sure the player in iso who tested positive, would mean Sendejo or Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody run the playoff scenarios if the league cancels the Browns/Steelers game?  :unsure:
they arent going to cancel it. they'll either make the browns play w whoever they have, or postpone...

precedent has already been set. and isnt there a week 18 plan in place (or did that not actually go thru, hard to keep track) 

they arent going to cancel it. they'll either make the browns play w whoever they have, or postpone...

precedent has already been set. and isnt there a week 18 plan in place (or did that not actually go thru, hard to keep track) 
The NFL has postponed games involving teams with ongoing outbreaks pretty consistently. So it partly depends on if the Browns keep having positive cases every day or not. If they do continue to have positive cases, I can’t see how they postpone the game beyond Monday. Having either team play Tuesday or beyond and then play a Sunday playoff game seems awfully questionable. Maybe I’m wrong though and they me go ahead and force the issue. Would be a huge advantage to whatever teams would be playing one of those teams in the playoffs.

Certainly a crappy time for an outbreak to occur.

ya it'd be ridicuous... but what happened to "week 18?"
I think that was only ever going to happen if they planned it early on and had a number of games that needed to be made up. I can’t imagine they’ll push the entire playoffs back, including teams waiting around to figure out whether or not they’re even IN the playoffs and teams unable to start preparing for their next opponent, just for one game.

This game could end up being the one game where Covid REALLY screws things up.

@gerrydulac

In addition to Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers will not play C Maurkice Pouncey, OLB T.J. Watt and DE Cam Heyward against the Browns on Sunday.

@gerrydulac

In addition to Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers will not play C Maurkice Pouncey, OLB T.J. Watt and DE Cam Heyward against the Browns on Sunday.
Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

The Steelers are averaging 3.0 offensive TDs per game this season (11th highest).

They averaged 1.6 per game without Big Ben for most of 2019 (1.6 would rank 30th this season)

I think that was only ever going to happen if they planned it early on and had a number of games that needed to be made up. I can’t imagine they’ll push the entire playoffs back, including teams waiting around to figure out whether or not they’re even IN the playoffs and teams unable to start preparing for their next opponent, just for one game.

This game could end up being the one game where Covid REALLY screws things up.
The league won't cancel unless its for health/safety reasons. 

They will do nothing to respond to competitive advantage.

NFL won't consider competitive advantage in COVID-19 schedule changes

... The NFL maintains that it will not reschedule games based on potential competitive advantages created by positive COVID-19 cases, which could force some teams to play without key players in their weekly matchups.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell commented on the status of the season Wednesday during a conference call. He also spoke about COVID-19's impact on the 2020 season prior to NBC's rare Wednesday's broadcast of the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers game, which was postponed three times due to positive test results.

"Let me be crystal clear as we have been with our clubs since March: All medical decisions have and always will take precedence over competitive considerations and business interests," Goodell said

...  "As we discussed in October at the fall league meeting, we will not postpone or reschedule games due to COVID issues affecting multiple players, even within a position group if we feel comfortable that the rest of the team is not at risk," Goodell said...
Its a CYA policy where they will avoid any potential risk of forcing players to play a game where they can contract COVID.  They don't care about anything other than 'risk' of contraction which could get them sued.  

Two new POSITIVE cases.  We don't know if any players came into contact with those players will be listed as CONTACT risks.

If the NFL postponed this game beyond Monday they will have to move any playoff games these teams are involved in as well.  You can’t have a team play on Tuesday or Wednesday and expect them to be ready for the playoffs on a Sunday

been scouring like crazy on the twitter for verified browns voices, and nothing indicates anythign worse than what we know...

doesnt mean it isnt... but i really hope this is as bad as it gets. 

Pretty sure they would.  As in they would not change the playoffs
I’m not sure why it would be a problem playing a playoff game on a Monday but they have been screwing the Steelers all season due to other teams mishaps so it wouldn’t surprise me they would continue to do so in the playoffs 

I’m not sure why it would be a problem playing a playoff game on a Monday but they have been screwing the Steelers all season due to other teams mishaps so it wouldn’t surprise me they would continue to do so in the playoffs 
Remember the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl as a wildcard?

this year doesn’t have the same feeling with all the whining about all the “getting screwed over” talk.  

Remember the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl as a wildcard?

this year doesn’t have the same feeling with all the whining about all the “getting screwed over” talk.  
You’re right, it doesn’t.  I don’t recall the NFL screwing around with their schedule that year.  

I don’t think it’s too much to ask the game to be played at the scheduled time or if they can’t, to delay their playoff game by one day and play it on a Monday.

Hopefully it won’t come down to that

Good Morning Football (Ian Rap):

Virtual meetings happening now, but facilities could reopen today, we're still waiting on news. All the WRs are fully back and eligible to play. 

Game goes on as planned, no chance in my mind NFL does anything.

Stand by my earlier prediction, no way this Browns team loses to that Stillers team.

24-7 final, see you in the playoffs  :thumbup:

no way this Browns team
No way the team with our starting LT and starting RG and four WRs loses to the Jets, on the tarmac it all imploded.

We need Wyatt Teller, that kid Harris got 'blowed-up real good'.  You cannot run a our zone if a player gets destroyed.

Losing Denzel hurts especially without Zendeho directing traffic.  Redwine cost us last week.  Harrison is back.  

Hearing smug projections how Mason Rudolph will rub it in the Browns faces.  Mmmkay.  We'll see.

----------------------------------------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

I doubt Myles will admit it, but Mason's in trouble.

@AdamSchefter

Browns' training facility has reopened and the team will practice today at 1 pm.

LET'S GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Will Ward even be eligible to be back for the playoff game if the Browns in Sunday ?  Without Ward the chances of winning would be a lot lower.

Will possibly hurt this week without Ward but with Pitt playing backups should still win in theory.

Dez said:
Will Ward even be eligible to be back for the playoff game if the Browns in Sunday ?  Without Ward the chances of winning would be a lot lower.

Will possibly hurt this week without Ward but with Pitt playing backups should still win in theory.
I get that I was vague on the last page, but this is what I was getting at. Should we make it we are a long shot at best to win a game next week, no matter the opponent, if we are without Ward.

I get that I was vague on the last page, but this is what I was getting at. Should we make it we are a long shot at best to win a game next week, no matter the opponent, if we are without Ward.
it depends on the opponent. 

I could envision a scenario where the Browns could win a shootout.  

Bracie Smathers said:
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

I doubt Myles will admit it, but Mason's in trouble.
Is Garrett gonna club him over the head with a weapon again? 
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

It won't just be Myles. The rest of that DLine is going to try to get their voices heard on the matter for him.

Brian Skutle  Jan 5 Ga Runoffs@skutlelemur

I wonder how many throwaways he’ll try if Myles is after him.

Back in to say that Myles Garrett should be embarrassed -- as should the Browns -- and further trying to rehabilitate his image and his own self rather than saying that "one play doesn't define a career" and the Browns naming him honorary captain. Love to see the Steelers hang a big one on the Browns this week, but it's not going to happen. Too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread