Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Cleveland Browns -


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

I'm sorry, but the league making this a 1pm game kinda irks me...

100% shouldve been a Sunday or Monday nighter.

Nah you got the great rivalry of... Dallas vs Minnesota tonight starring Cooper Rush and Kirk Cousins... Hmmm. Well certainly it's not better than that classic matchup of ... KC vs nYG? Ummm ok.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All things considered, Baker performed better than I expected today. Defensive pressure on the quarterback was non-existent and losing our secondary by halftime didn’t help. The thing that troubles me the most though is our receivers dropping balls that consistently hit them square in the hands. So frustrated with what was supposed to be a strength of our team and they look like ####.

Also, last week we come out with the sole intent of running the ball, passing when necessary. Baker comes back, injured and we throw 31 times. RUN THE ####### FOOTBALL, so tired of seeing this ####.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2021 at 6:50 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

I don't think preseason hype had as much impact as devastating injuries.

I think this team is strong enough to overcome the long list of injuries. It just isn't strong enough to overcome Baker's. They'll never admit it, but I think the offense's quality of play is suffering because they know it too.

Not expecting them to figure it out, but if they are then this is the week. If they don't bounce back against this opponent in this spot then it isn't happening this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

i was going to post before Sunday’s game that if they didn’t beat the Steelers at home, i really didn’t see a path to the playoffs.  
 

imo, it’s over.  

I didn't think that game was do or die. I thought they had to win one of these 2 though. I still think that...but the manner in which we lost Sunday just left me thinking that we're dead men walking.

On both sides of the ball we lost the battle up front and were out coached. Unlike prior weeks we earned the ill advised penalties in this one. Second half drive killing mistakes (not going for it on 4th & 1, Jarvis fumble, Higgins false start on 3rd & 11). Too many negative plays in the run game. Baker was high on everything and his WR's did not help him out. Their defense didn't respect the vertical passing game, which we didn't even try pursuing.

There really wasn't anything good about that game. There's nothing to build upon. It was a flat, uninspiring performance from a team that's played lost for 3 straight weeks. If they don't find it (whatever 'it' is) right now then this season is over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

If they don't find it (whatever 'it' is) right now then this season is over. 

something needs to change quickly. i have no idea what that is either.  
 

the first possession of the second half looked like they had found their groove again, but then they immediately lost it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

something needs to change quickly. i have no idea what that is either.  
 

the first possession of the second half looked like they had found their groove again, but then they immediately lost it.  

The offense has looked sharp on their opening drive in each half the last 2 games, scoring 24 points. In the other 13 drives? 3 total points. Probably just fun with small sample sizes, but maybe there is something more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The offense has looked sharp on their opening drive in each half the last 2 games, scoring 24 points. In the other 13 drives? 3 total points. Probably just fun with small sample sizes, but maybe there is something more.

is the opening drive of the second half scripted?   if so, that may be the answer.  
 

i don’t think it is though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

is anyone else kind of surprised this has dragged on into a second day?

there really aren't a lot of options at this point.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/04/browns-excuse-odell-beckham-from-practice-again/

At first, yes. Not anymore though.

The Browns don't have financial incentive to cut him loose. His cap hit is $0 in 2022. If his status isn't a distraction inside the locker room then it makes no difference whether he's cut in 5 minutes, day 1 of the new league year, or anytime in between. The distraction part is what the Browns need to have heightened awareness of.

OBJ has $8 million reasons not to give any of it back right now. That said, if he doesn't play any more this season then will his future earnings be impacted? That's what needs fleshed out from his end.

So it appears we're in a game of chicken.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

At first, yes. Not anymore though.

The Browns don't have financial incentive to cut him loose. His cap hit is $0 in 2022. If his status isn't a distraction inside the locker room then it makes no difference whether he's cut in 5 minutes, day 1 of the new league year, or anytime in between. The distraction part is what the Browns need to have heightened awareness of.

OBJ has $8 million reasons not to give any of it back right now. That said, if he doesn't play any more this season then will his future earnings be impacted? That's what needs fleshed out from his end.

So it appears we're in a game of chicken.

from the article i linked:

 

Quote

Basically, they’re suspending him with pay. Starting with the 2006 CBA, teams lost the ability to do this. If he fights it, he’ll win. They can’t keep him out of the facility, or off the practice field.

They could, in theory, suspend him without pay for four weeks for conduct detrimental to the team and force him to file a grievance. At the end of the day, Beckham would get his money after prevailing. In the interim, the Browns would delay his arrival with a new team.

But that would be a horrible look for the Browns, exacerbating the distraction while also sending a bad message to current and future players about the way the Browns do business.

 

i don't know how accurate this all is, but their point seems to be that the Browns can't just sit on this indefinitely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

i don't know how accurate this all is, but their point seems to be that the Browns can't just sit on this indefinitely. 

It's probably accurate, but I think only if OBJ makes an issue of it. He (may?) have optics reasons not to...for now anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

It's probably accurate, but I think only if OBJ makes an issue of it. He (may?) have optics reasons not to...for now anyway.

I’m not sure it’s up to OBJ.  if they go that route (keeping him on the roster, but inactive), it seems like there’s a good possibility the union would step in.  

it’s weird how much politics and legal issues play into all of these situations.  

Edited by amnesiac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So they’ve agreed to a deal and he will be released. Hate to lose talent but for a multitude of reasons, OBJ just didn’t work in CLE. Wish him well wherever he lands (except AFC North), thought he actually looked good this year physically just was never a part of the offense. Put that on Stefanski and Mayfield (probably 80/20). The system is more important than the players comes to mind.

Think we’re getting beat this weekend, hopefully the team can pull together and the defense steps up but Cincy is going to put up some points on us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

 


and yet 4 weeks later, here we are.  

Right - now we're on the other side of the trade deadline. Cutting him before then and while he was not being a malcontent was not a good idea. I don't think the circumstances changed Monday morning, but they certainly did at 4:01 pm on Tuesday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Right - now we're on the other side of the trade deadline. Cutting him before then and while he was not being a malcontent was not a good idea. I don't think the circumstances changed Monday morning, but they certainly did at 4:01 pm on Tuesday.

crazy stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The team began the season with:

The best offensive line in the league.

  • Haven't been healthy or played together for one  game.

Decent/solid starting WRs

  • Weren't healthy and/or played  together for one game.

Best RBs in the league.

  • Played together for a few games.

Lead the league in rushing.

Had a top 10/15 QB with what  was the 'best' supporting cast in the league which allowed him to play above his punching ability.

  • Significant injury in the  2nd game.  He's a shell.

The offense began the season legitimately top-five, now with an offensive line that ranks in the mid-teens to mid-twenties depending on injuries, a rushing attack that isn't anywhere what it was because the opposing defense has put up 8-man fronts to shut it down because it doesn't respect our QB's ability to throw the deep ball, and WRs who have been injured and played like crap pretty much all year. 

  • Now the offense is bottom-five.  

Doesn't really matter about the defense because too many missing or injured parts on offense.  I mean does anyone really think the O-Line will remain completely healthy and dominate the rest of the year or that the WRs will magically blow-up and shred coverage and that Baker will miraculously regain his deep ball and mobility and not re-injure or exacerbate his shoulder injury?

I don't know if we can pull out enough games to eek into the playoffs but this isn't the team that we had to begin the season.

Not seeing it this year  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

We'll know by about 4 pm Sunday. If the lightbulb doesn't turn on in this spot then it isn't going to. 

even if it does, the path to the playoffs is pretty murky.  
 

I posted a link up thread about all the injuries they are dealing with, it’s a worthwhile read. 
 

the one thing i disagree somewhat about is the deep ball.  they don’t necessarily need that to get the offense moving again.  it certainly wouldn’t hurt though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 5:45 AM, beer 30 said:

Think we’re getting beat this weekend, hopefully the team can pull together and the defense steps up but Cincy is going to put up some points on us.

Well that aged well :doh:

Great win today, all the way around. Makes you wonder why they can’t put it all together like that every week. If I was the coaching staff, I’d be dreaming up some diabolical punishment for the stupid penalties though. That stuff has got to end. Was kinda hoping Stefanski would go a little ballistic on the sidelines about it but that’s just not his thing.

Tough road to hoe coming up but if they play like they did today, they’ll be in every game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Per Adam Schefter: Browns’ RBs Nick Chubb and Demetric Felton tested positive for COVID-19, sources tell ESPN. Both players are vaccinated, thus their status for Sunday’s game against New England remains in question. Each player would need two negative tests 24 hours apart to play.

I presume this will means Hunt will be activated this week

Edited by geneyus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, geneyus said:

Per Adam Schefter: Browns’ RBs Nick Chubb and Demetric Felton tested positive for COVID-19, sources tell ESPN. Both players are vaccinated, thus their status for Sunday’s game against New England remains in question. Each player would need two negative tests 24 hours apart to play.

I presume this will means Hunt will be activated this week

i haven't heard much news on Hunt.  i wouldn't be ready to make that presumption, i don't get the sense that they are being overly cautious with Hunt.

but, this news could force their hand and it's possible they bring him back a little earlier than they were planning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, amnesiac said:

i haven't heard much news on Hunt.  i wouldn't be ready to make that presumption, i don't get the sense that they are being overly cautious with Hunt.

but, this news could force their hand and it's possible they bring him back a little earlier than they were planning.

Not sure he'll be ready. D'Ernest Johnson and a player to be named later + Fullback1 & Fullback2 is kinda what I'm thinking this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Not sure he'll be ready. D'Ernest Johnson and a player to be named later + Fullback1 & Fullback2 is kinda what I'm thinking this week.

That’s what I’m hearing.  But it’s not impossible that Hunt could be activated. Depends on how close he is.  But I haven’t heard much about how he’s doing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, amnesiac said:

i haven't heard much news on Hunt.  i wouldn't be ready to make that presumption, i don't get the sense that they are being overly cautious with Hunt.

but, this news could force their hand and it's possible they bring him back a little earlier than they were planning.

Hunt won't be back this week. My understanding is his goal is to be back for Baltimore before the bye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any news on Chubb?  I've been looking around and haven't seen anything yet. I'd imagine the first negative test should be taken today or tomorrow, with the 2nd on Sat or Sun in order to play on Sunday - assuming my math/calendar skills are correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peak said:

Any news on Chubb?  I've been looking around and haven't seen anything yet. I'd imagine the first negative test should be taken today or tomorrow, with the 2nd on Sat or Sun in order to play on Sunday - assuming my math/calendar skills are correct.

I read the second test had to come at least 24 hours before game time.

 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Brownsfan said:

I read the second test had to come at least 24 hours before game time.

 

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Chubb pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Chubb pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious

Chubb tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday, and it’s possible the star running back will miss Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots.

Rookie running back/wide receiver Demetric Felton also tested positive and was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list along with Chubb, who is coming off a 137-yard, two-touchdown performance in a win over Cincinnati.

Both players will need to be symptom free and have two negative tests 24 hours apart to be eligible to face the Patriots. Chubb and Felton are both vaccinated.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski would not disclose whether Chubb is experiencing any symptoms, leaving his status uncertain and perhaps Cleveland without its best offensive player this week.

 

I misremembered. They need to be 24 hours apart.

 

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-nfl-sports-kevin-stefanski-demetric-felton-3e1526489c71107c1809a23fa77205e5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Brownsfan said:

Chubb tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday, and it’s possible the star running back will miss Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots.

Rookie running back/wide receiver Demetric Felton also tested positive and was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list along with Chubb, who is coming off a 137-yard, two-touchdown performance in a win over Cincinnati.

Both players will need to be symptom free and have two negative tests 24 hours apart to be eligible to face the Patriots. Chubb and Felton are both vaccinated.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski would not disclose whether Chubb is experiencing any symptoms, leaving his status uncertain and perhaps Cleveland without its best offensive player this week.

 

I misremembered. They need to be 24 hours apart.

 

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-nfl-sports-kevin-stefanski-demetric-felton-3e1526489c71107c1809a23fa77205e5

it is a good question though, what would be the deadline for the first negative test?  Saturday at noon?  earlier?  not sure anyone knows.

doubt Stefanski is going to give anything up.

we may not know until they announce the inactives right before the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brownsfan said:

I read the second test had to come at least 24 hours before game time.

 

I believe the Browns have to decide if they're going to remove him from the COVID list by Saturday at 4 pm (that's the rule for "regular" IR, at least).  If they don't do that, he can't play Sunday.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...