Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Cleveland Browns -

Hmmnn.

This is a possibility IMHO.

Albert Breer: I absolutely believe the Browns are going to be a player for Deshaun Watson if and when he becomes available

Albert Breer: I absolutely believe the Browns are going to be a player for Deshaun Watson if and when he becomes available

...On the topic of Watson, Breer thinks the Browns will be among the teams pursuing him, and sees a potential trade getting done sooner than later.

"I think if and when Watson becomes available -- and I think we all assume the Texans will get him out on the market in the same sort of way the Lions got Stafford on the market pretty quickly last year -- and, obviously, this is all pending the legal stuff, but I expect the Browns to be a player. I think the Browns are going to throw their hat in."

...let's call it an educated guess, I do think they'd throw their hat in the ring."

The uncertainty surrounding Baker Mayfield's long-term role in Cleveland opens the door for the Browns to consider "outside" options like Watson, according to Breer.

"This is going to come down to a really simple question: Are you willing to pay Baker Mayfield $40 million a year? And if you're aren't, is there somebody out there that you are willing to give that money to?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Insein said:

Everyone back from Covid now?

Not even close. Some will clear their 10 days before Saturday, but we're still down 16 guys as of right now. Baker, Jarvis, and Wills should clear. Delpit, Harrison, and McDowell will be borderline. Prepare as if Clowney, Hudson, Keenum, and a few other depth guys won't. Newsome just went on, so he'll be out. Hunt and Hill won't play due to other injuries even if they clear. And non-covid related, Garrett may be out too.

We'll see how the Packers covid situation goes, but given all of the health issues on defense we really need Hudson back at RT. This offense has been terrible for weeks and it'll need to not be to keep this game competitive. A sturdy RT is a must in this offense given the lack of a vertical passing threat. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Oh, and yes please on Watson.  Trade em Baker and some 1sts

Yes please.  Cleveland is such a toxic environment.   I listen to the Cleveland sports media and they are so negative.  Twitter sports media so negative.   I guess the "negative takes" are what people want today on radio and social media.    I think that it would be best for the Browns and Mayfield to split ways ASAP.    I can't wait to see Watson be the QB for the Browns with Hunt, and Chubb injured and Laundry being his top WR along with 17 TE's.    GL 

1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Yes please.  Cleveland is such a toxic environment.   I listen to the Cleveland sports media and they are so negative.  Twitter sports media so negative.   I guess the "negative takes" are what people want today on radio and social media.    I think that it would be best for the Browns and Mayfield to split ways ASAP.    I can't wait to see Watson be the QB for the Browns with Hunt, and Chubb injured and Laundry being his top WR along with 17 TE's.    GL 

Baker??  That you??

1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

I recommend polling what the average Cleveland sports fan thinks of Grossi, Ruiter, Mary Kay, Rizzo, Hammer, etc before considering their potential to influence.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:57 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Agree. They should be looking at any and every alternative QB option. 

Id offer Baker perhaps high end backup-bridge starter money as a last resort.

Holding back the franchise. 

9 hours ago, amnesiac said:

the Browns are married to Mayfield for one more season.  

i’m not sure why so many people don’t understand that. 

Since there is still a plausible path to the playoffs there may not be any leaks this week, but I'll be very curious what does whenever we reach that point. I think both Baker and Stefanski have lost the locker room, but is it a 2021 only thing or will it carry forward. If I had to place a bet I think Baker is the week 1 qb, but I don't think married is the right word - a hedge will be brought in. And I'm less certain that he will be it than I was this time last month - that's more of a 99% to 90% thing though. What we saw yesterday was indefensible, but I have a hard time forgetting the end to 2020. 

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Unfortunate for the Browns.  The team is a QB away from competing for a championship.  

If we didn't lose our starting LT and the backup LT and our starting All-Pro RT and if Schwartz doesn't turtle on that route that wound up in the INT that caused Baker's shoulder injury, we have a completely different season.

Next year we will magically see an improved Mayfield and people won't attribute it to four critical injuries.  They tried to blame early season woes on OBJ.  How'd that work out?  We lost the most talented WR on the team and got nothing, actually took a cap hit.  Now people want to crush Baker or last year's Coach Of The Year.

Lets not keep creating holes.

If Watson is available cheap then I'm interested but I fully expect Baker to return with a vengeance next year but now we need to get a #1 WR since we got rid of OBJ.  No matter what people said he took forced bracket coverage to his side of the field which opened things up in the running game.  Just look at what teams had done to shut us down leading up to yesterday when we broke the script but using 11 and personnel more which is the reason we saw Schwartz and Higgins for the first time in a long time.  Also taking a TE off the field forced deeper routes which open up the running but also helped lead to turnovers.

If I'm understanding this correctly the Browns can still win the AFC North 

1. If the Chiefs beat the Bengals next week.

2. The Ravens have to lose either next week to the Rams or week 17 to the Steelers.

3. The Browns have to win out the next 2 games with the Steelers and Bengals.

The Browns would hold all tie breakers and as ridiculous as it sounds win the division and get a 1st round home playoff game.

Edited by mr fancypants
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mr fancypants said:

2. The Ravens have to lose either next week to the Rams or week 17 to the Steelers.

The Browns would hold all tie breakers and as ridiculous as it sounds win the division and get a 1st round home playoff game.

Crazy year

Could happen.  KC roll'n and Bengals coming off an emotional big win.  I can easily see a let-down.

Ravens not only lost, they also lost another cornerback in the game that is why they got lit-up.  Kupp is gonna destroy them.

This game against Pittsburgh isn't going to be normal.  It is all about which team is the most physical/violent.  Its going to be a street fight and we'd better come prepared to play.  Expect injuries to both teams, I am not advocating or joking it will happen. 

Tomlin psyches his team up every divisional game to the point they punch above their playing weight.  Stefanski tends to do the opposite.  He can't be even-keeled this week.  He'd better prepare his men for battle and he'd better win. 

------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT NEWS.  We found a LT and a C.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Quick follow-up: Nick Harris graded well. Looked good via eye test and that impression has now been supported. Promising initial start at center. Also, does anyone remember when Joel Bitonio couldn't play left tackle because he's a guard? Yeah, good times. Out-and-out stud.

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Nick Harris making his second-career start against Kenny Clark (if Tretter doesn't clear protocols) is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. But the matchup will provide a preview to see how the Browns must proceed at the center position during the upcoming offseason.

All the Browns need to do to beat Pittsburgh is run the ball and keep running it.  I have no idea why Cleveland continually throws the ball when Chubb/Jackson/Hunt are getting 5+ yards a pop.

Just commit to the run and stick with it and they'll win hands-down.   If they have Mayfield throw the ball 40 times there's a good chance they lose.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

All the Browns need to do to beat Pittsburgh is run the ball and keep running it.  I have no idea why Cleveland continually throws the ball when Chubb/Jackson/Hunt are getting 5+ yards a pop.

Just commit to the run and stick with it and they'll win hands-down.   If they have Mayfield throw the ball 40 times there's a good chance they lose.

Pittsburgh stole the Cardinals recipe for shutting down the Browns rushing attack, they sold out with 8 and 9 in the box and dared Baker to beat em.

Saturday the Browns changed up the offense, running more 11 personnel than they have all year which crossed up the Pack who started out with 9 guys in the box.  Baker was able to connect with short passes on 1st down putting them in 2nd and 3rd and short.  Drove right down the field.  

Higgins and Schwartz were broken out of mothballs and saw more action than had in months.  Deeper routes forced the  safeties back.  Having Bitonio at LT and the  2nd year Center beefed up the run game and Stefanski spread out the front 7 by running wide and reverses.  He got into a groove, and it was because he passed when faced with stacked boxes.  

Basically, the passing game opened up the running game but also lead to Mayfield's interceptions.  

Late in the game their wasn't enough time to run.  

KC did a great job double and triple teaming TJ.  The Browns can't let Hance face him alone.  Stefanski is going to have to coach smart but I still think the most physical team wins.

we're winning out. all we need is KC to do their job this coming weekend. 

but what an absolutely infuriating season it's been. stefanski deserves the boot just for his sheer refusal to run the rock 30x a game. we'd probably be 11-6 to end the year

Edited by Soulfly3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, amnesiac said:

Bengals beat the Ravens and Steelers losing to KC. 

the first two dominoes are falling.  

how the hell are the Browns still in contention to win the AFC North??

We have no business even being considered for the playoffs but here we are. I have zero confidence in the team but it's still a very winnable path to the playoffs. I don't like players calling out the team or players but it's hard to disagree with John Johnson, "just run the ball". If ever there was a game, Saturday was it. At one point Chubb was getting 8-9 carry. So let's throw the ball 3 times in a row and put ourselves in 3rd and long AGAIN.

Trying not to put this on Mayfield, he's a part of it for sure but I point at the coach. We've seen it all season and continually question why a supposedly run based team doesn't run the ball in obvious situations. It's frustrating but again, here we are...knocking on the door of the playoffs #GoBrowns

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

We have no business even being considered for the playoffs

Do you think the Steelers have earned a playoff spot?

How about the Ravens?

At least the Browns and Ravens have been decimated with injuries and Covid.  We were in the last two games even with 20 guys out with the Vid.  I mean come on, we took the winningest team in the league to the wire, on the road, on a short week, with a QB who didn't practice all week and was recuperating from Covid, and our best player was/is injured with a pulled groin which should have been season ending, oh and the rest of the team was/is still gutted by Covid.  

We have EVERY RIGHT to be in this playoff hunt.  No team in the AFCN has run away with it.  Its anyone's crown this year.

6 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Do you think the Steelers have earned a playoff spot?

How about the Ravens?

At least the Browns and Ravens have been decimated with injuries and Covid.  We were in the last two games even with 20 guys out with the Vid.  I mean come on, we took the winningest team in the league to the wire, on the road, on a short week, with a QB who didn't practice all week and was recuperating from Covid, and our best player was/is injured with a pulled groin which should have been season ending, oh and the rest of the team was/is still gutted by Covid.  

We have EVERY RIGHT to be in this playoff hunt.  No team in the AFCN has run away with it.  Its anyone's crown this year.

PIT no, BAL yea, CIN definitely

We've been in games all year and lost every one. We've got an excuse for all of them like we always do, and we always lose. I said it before, will say it again, this team doesn't know how to win a close game. Our WR drop balls every single game, early on, that totally decimate confidence. Then we start questioning the QB, unjustly. It's not all on him. We run the ball up and down the field and then go away from it and chuck it deep for some unknown reason. Defense has been carrying this team the last 5 weeks.

This offense is dysfunctional at best, whether it's QB play, WR play or just stupid play calling or undisciplined penalties, we create our own obstacles. And we've proven time and again, we're not good enough, as currently constituted, to overcome those obstacles. Unless I miss my guess, that isn't going to change between now and the end of the season.

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

PIT no, BAL yea, CIN definitely

We've been in games all year and lost every one. We've got an excuse for all of them like we always do, and we always lose. I said it before, will say it again, this team doesn't know how to win a close game. Our WR drop balls every single game, early on, that totally decimate confidence. Then we start questioning the QB, unjustly. It's not all on him. We run the ball up and down the field and then go away from it and chuck it deep for some unknown reason. Defense has been carrying this team the last 5 weeks.

This offense is dysfunctional at best, whether it's QB play, WR play or just stupid play calling or undisciplined penalties, we create our own obstacles. And we've proven time and again, we're not good enough, as currently constituted, to overcome those obstacles. Unless I miss my guess, that isn't going to change between now and the end of the season.

Long before Baker broke the news on his dislocated broken shoulder I said their was something wrong with him because I could tell.  

When he broke the news he not only had the dislocated/busted shoulder he lost his LT and RT and his star WR.  I noted that long ago and I also said the season was over when it was apparent that Baker wasn't himself.  Add the weird and wacky Covid joker into the playing deck to really screw things up.

We had more guys OUT against the Raiders and had less penalties.  

No matter who squeaks into the playoffs from the AFCN they don't stand much chance to advance but no team has broken away so everyone is legitimately in contention.  EVERYONE including the Browns.

1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

No matter who squeaks into the playoffs from the AFCN they don't stand much chance to advance but no team has broken away so everyone is legitimately in contention.  EVERYONE including the Browns.

I don't disagree with you, I just have zero confidence in the team or the coach or both at this point. You're right, somebody from the AFCN is going into the playoffs, might as well be us if for no other reason than to get some more experience. It's just going to be another CLE collapse if it happens though.

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

No matter who squeaks into the playoffs from the AFCN they don't stand much chance to advance 

You’re probably right that none of them would make it to the SB, but Cincy or Baltimore (with a healthy Lamar) are fully capable of beating any team in any given week and it not being a huge shock. They’re dangerous teams. As awesome as Chubb is, Cleveland beating any of the playoffs teams would be a surprise. 

14 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

IF they go into Pittsburg and punch them in the face, i'd say yes, they deserve it.  

if they beat PIT and CIN (making it a double over CIN this yr) then there is zero doubt. 

what is it now, 6 games lost by 6pts or less? some reffing screw jobs and a world class covid implosion... and yet here we are.

15 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

IF they go into Pittsburg and punch them in the face, i'd say yes, they deserve it.  

Steelers couldn’t beat Alabama right now, they seem to be playing worse than the Jags. 

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

if they beat PIT and CIN (making it a double over CIN this yr) then there is zero doubt. 

what is it now, 6 games lost by 6pts or less? some reffing screw jobs and a world class covid implosion... and yet here we are.

The one that stands out for me was the Chargers game.  The phantom pass interference on 4th and 10 at about their own 30 when we were up 7.  That call didnt lose us the game, but if there was a no call like there should have been then we easily make that a 2 score game and win.  

Otherwise it's mostly just our inability to score when needed at the end of a game.  

19 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Yet the Steelers just beat Tennessee in week 15.   

Don't get me wrong, I think the Steelers stink but in this NFL any team can beat anyone on any given week.

You guys always play physical.  I think whoever punches the other team in the face wins so without a doubt Pittsburgh can win the game and no one should be shocked if they do. 

I think its pretty straight forward.  

Not the best team but the most physical team wins IMHO.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

Yet the Steelers just beat Tennessee in week 15.   

Don't get me wrong, I think the Steelers stink but in this NFL any team can beat anyone on any given week.

To be clear here, the titans they beat isn’t the same team that should be in the playoffs and had lost to the Texans and pats (where they looked horrendous).  

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

You guys always play physical.  I think whoever punches the other team in the face wins so without a doubt Pittsburgh can win the game and no one should be shocked if they do. 

I think its pretty straight forward.  

Not the best team but the most physical team wins IMHO.  

i get the “any given Sunday” sentiment, but that “effort” from the Steelers shows is indicative of a team that has no motivation. The talent is there imo, but the fire is out. They could regain it but I’d be surprised at this point. (Which happens of course)

20 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

To be clear here, the titans they beat isn’t the same team that should be in the playoffs and had lost to the Texans and pats (where they looked horrendous).  

The Titans just beat the 49ers, which is as good a team as anyone in the AFC North.  Speaking of the AFC North, the Browns haven't had a quality win to an opponent outside the AFC North all season.

Anyway I wasn't trying to make the claim the Steelers are better than the Browns or even that they were any good at all because they aren't.  I just pointed out they just beat Tennessee in response to the comment the Steelers couldn't beat Alabama.  

Edited by Godsbrother

23 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

i get the “any given Sunday” sentiment, but that “effort” from the Steelers shows is indicative of a team that has no motivation. The talent is there imo, but the fire is out. They could regain it but I’d be surprised at this point. (Which happens of course)

I expect them to get up for Ben's last home game on primetime. 

• Like 1