What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

the one thing that i thought was interesting, someone pointed out yesterday:  "Do you really think the Rams thought their starter would be Stafford at this time last year?"

certainly anything is possible, but i don't see this group moving the assets that would be required to swing a deal to swap out another QB for Mayfield next season.

there's even been talk of trying to swap for Carr.  that might be interesting, but at what price?
I'd probably prefer Cousins to Carr, but how big an upgrade is either over Mayfield? 

Hot take: I'm still not sure the Rams won that Stafford trade. Time will tell based on where the draft picks end up, and Stafford's playoff performance. Stafford was an MVP candidate in the 1st half of the season, but has looked a lot like Goff in the 2nd half of the season(other than the Cardinals game) I'm still of the belief that the Rams overpaid for that QB upgrade. 

One could argue Goff had shown more than Mayfield(he did lead the Rams to a Super Bowl after all) but he also always had better weapons, and didn't have a year of constant injury like Mayfield did this year. 

If the Browns can get a guy like Russell Wilson or a cleared DeShaun Watson, then I'd say go for it. But if the price for a guy like Cousins or Carr is somewhat similar to what the Rams paid for Stafford, I'd rather just stick with Mayfield.

As a Baker apologist and OU homer I think what is best for both parties player and team is a clean break.  I so wanted Baker to be the savior for the Browns.  I hoped that Baker could play through his broken shoulder.  I was pissed when OBJ's daddy went on social media.  I was pissed when Grossi called Baker out, or Mary Kay Calbot just stirred up all the negative all the time.  I was on here weeks ago asking if any of the Cleveland media was worth listening to other than the TOXIC radio talking heads.   I don't need to rehash what Bracie Smathers stated above about all the accolades.  Just wish it would have worked out.  Now Baker has fired back on social media basically calling Mary Kay Calbot a liar. https://twitter.com/bakermayfield/status/1479161526330273793   Brandon Weeden all of all people backing up Baker.  I just think it is time for both parties to move on.   

Here is the tweet responding to MKC

-------------------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield@bakermayfield

Clickbait. You and many other Cleveland local media continue to be drama stirring reporters with no sources or facts. Don’t put words in my mouth so you can put food on your table. I’m not your puppet.

Quote Tweet

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot

#Browns Baker Mayfield must resolve his differences with Kevin Stefanski soon in case they need to co-exist next season; Also, some names that will be on the radar if they don't https://cleveland.com/browns/2022/01/browns-qb-baker-mayfield-must-resolve-his-differences-with-kevin-stefanski-soon-in-case-they-need-to-co-exist-next-season-mary-kay-cabot.html

--------------------------------------------------

Baker is THEE SOURCE not MKC.  He knows what is going on in the relationship with the coaches and himself and he is refuting MKC's speculative story of a riff.

Brandon Weedon went down this road and hints that he knows what Baker is going through in this tweet.

----------------------------------------------------

Brandon Weeden@bweeden3

Same stuff different year with her. She can’t help herself…

---------------------------------------------------

Pretty sure Baker and Weeden aren't making things up to sell papers or get clicks.

Seriously peeps gotta chillaxe and not be drama mommas following clickbait rabbit holes. 

lol, Brandon Weeden is a #### and has been out of Cleveland for 8 years and had half the talent Mayfield does.

as for MKC, if she's putting this out there, you can damn well bet the Browns want this out there.

here's your interesting leaks, @MAC_32... 

edit i don't know how to tag people.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, Brandon Weeden is a #### and has been out of Cleveland for 8 years and had half the talent Mayfield does.

as for MKC, if she's putting this out there, you can damn well bet the Browns want this out there.

here's your interesting leaks, Mac...

What is Brandon Weeden?   What does his talent level have to do with this story?   So you are saying the sources that MKC has is the Browns organization?     Why would the Browns want to start a divide between Stefanski and Baker?   

here's your interesting leaks, Mac...

@  sign and then start typing the name

@amnesiac

What is Brandon Weeden?   What does his talent level have to do with this story?   So you are saying the sources that MKC has is the Browns organization?     Why would the Browns want to start a divide between Stefanski and Baker?   
Weeden is irrelevant.  

i have no idea why.  but MKC is generally considered the mouthpiece of the Browns. at least she used to be.  

Kizer has spoke as well.   Sure they both had horrible records so I guess we shouldn't listen to them.  Just put out one word "Preach"   https://twitter.com/deshonekizer/status/1479219072558673920
listen to them about what?

what insight could they possibly have to the current situation?   are they buddies with Mayfield?

I’m seriously sick of everyone with a Twitter account trying to act like they’re relevant.  

listen to them about what?

what insight could they possibly have to the current situation?   are they buddies with Mayfield?

I’m seriously sick of everyone with a Twitter account trying to act like they’re relevant.  
Insight with the current situation they do not have. Experience with the corporate stooge that is Mary Kay they do. If she's writing it then someone wants it out there and whether real or not does not matter. 

...  MKC is generally considered the mouthpiece of the Browns. at least she used to be.  
Help me out here.  You're saying MKC got fed inside information from within the organization to write a story saying Baker has an issue with Stefanski and wants to be traded?

The team would want to intentionally leak that their QB is unhappy and seeking a trade?

Would that increase or decrease trade offers?

Obviously, that will decrease offers if they intentionally paint him as disgruntled and want to get rid of him.

If the team isn't interested in trading him and just wants to rid themselves of him then what is preventing the team from just cutting Baker or benching him if they want to get rid of him?  Do they need MKC's permission or something where all moves have to go through MKC's column? 

The whole internal leaked story makes no sense on any level.  Ridiculous.

So you're advocating moving on to another QB you can't say "yes" to just because you can't say "yes" to Baker?  
I am saying that if the Browns don’t believe Baker is great enough to carry the team to the SB, it is time to try to find that QB.   I think we can all agree that Baker is a good QB and it’s a tough decision for the Browns.  And, that decision may not be made until after next season based on Bakers contract.  

Help me out here.  You're saying MKC got fed inside information from within the organization to write a story saying Baker has an issue with Stefanski and wants to be traded?

The team would want to intentionally leak that their QB is unhappy and seeking a trade?

Would that increase or decrease trade offers?

Obviously, that will decrease offers if they intentionally paint him as disgruntled and want to get rid of him.

If the team isn't interested in trading him and just wants to rid themselves of him then what is preventing the team from just cutting Baker or benching him if they want to get rid of him?  Do they need MKC's permission or something where all moves have to go through MKC's column? 

The whole internal leaked story makes no sense on any level.  Ridiculous.
i have no idea what anyones motivation is.

i know she didn’t just make this up.

and i know historically she has been the mouthpiece of the Browns.   

I am saying that if the Browns don’t believe Baker is great enough to carry the team to the SB, it is time to try to find that QB.   I think we can all agree that Baker is a good QB and it’s a tough decision for the Browns.  And, that decision may not be made until after next season based on Bakers contract.  
I didn't pay enough attention to college ball this year to provide any sort of informed opinion, but those that do are insinuating such a QB does not exist in this draft class. Since I do not expect Rodgers, Wilson, nor Watson to come here I think that leaves the list of viable alternatives at zero. Essentially, if Baker isn't it then we're left hoping the Browns disagree with the draftnik community, but will that hypothetical QB be ready before this team's window closes.

I didn't pay enough attention to college ball this year to provide any sort of informed opinion, but those that do are insinuating such a QB does not exist in this draft class. Since I do not expect Rodgers, Wilson, nor Watson to come here I think that leaves the list of viable alternatives at zero. Essentially, if Baker isn't it then we're left hoping the Browns disagree with the draftnik community, but will that hypothetical QB be ready before this team's window closes.
IF they continue making good draft picks, the “window” will not have a timeframe until they have to pay a franchise QB. 

it may have different players then they currently have , but they are in a position to free up about 40 million dollars from the cap next year. 

Baker cost me a championship.  All I needed to do to win a championship was for TJ Watt not to get 4 sacks...that is it.  Yet Baker couldn't get out of his own way to allow this guy to get his 4 sacks and beat me in what had to be a 50-1 me being a favorite to win.  Baker held the ball way too long time after time allowing sacks but the worst one was the 3rd quarter stupifying sack when he rolled out of the pocket started to run then slid down right at the line of scrimmage with Watt standing at his feet.  Just check the ball out of bounds dummy.  

Probably my 2nd worst championship loss of all time next to the 2015 AJ Green can't get a 2nd half catch so I can be part of a team that won $200K.

Baker cost me a championship.  All I needed to do to win a championship was for TJ Watt not to get 4 sacks...that is it.  Yet Baker couldn't get out of his own way to allow this guy to get his 4 sacks and beat me in what had to be a 50-1 me being a favorite to win.  Baker held the ball way too long time after time allowing sacks but the worst one was the 3rd quarter stupifying sack when he rolled out of the pocket started to run then slid down right at the line of scrimmage with Watt standing at his feet.  Just check the ball out of bounds dummy.  

Probably my 2nd worst championship loss of all time next to the 2015 AJ Green can't get a 2nd half catch so I can be part of a team that won $200K.
:ptts:

This year he struggled due to his injury, piss-poor WR play, and piss-poor OT play.  

His shoulder will heal, his OTs will heal/improve, and I have full faith in our FO to address the WR position.
As expected. 

Browns plan to move forward with Baker Mayfield as their QB

The Browns will head into the offseason with plans to retain Baker Mayfield as their quarterback for 2022, sources say...

... Mayfield and Browns coach Kevin Stefanski spoke Friday as part of normal exit meetings, and sources say the two are on the same page. The No. 1 overall pick in 2018, Mayfield is entering the final year of his rookie contract -- a fully guaranteed $18.858 million fifth-year option -- and the expectation as of now is he'll play it out in Cleveland.

Not good when a 6th round wide receiver in his 2nd season is the teams leading reciver.
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Regardless of who plays QB for the Browns next year, the organization will be putting forth effort to upgrade the WR position.

Clint Francisco@ClintFrancisco

Shows everyone what Baker had to work with.

A top receiver in the draft can make a big difference next year.

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Regardless of who plays QB for the Browns next year, the organization will be putting forth effort to upgrade the WR position.

Clint Francisco@ClintFrancisco

Shows everyone what Baker had to work with.

A top receiver in the draft can make a big difference next year.
top receiver, like OBJ and Landry were supposed to be? They had the talent to start the year but fell apart completely. 

top receiver, like OBJ and Landry were supposed to be? They had the talent to start the year but fell apart completely. 
Haven't visited this well before the season.

It shows the team ranking at every position.

Before the season we ranked 'ok' at WR and ranked the highest possible at O-Line.

WR was the lowest ranked on the team at 2.5 which qualified for 13th best in the league PRIOR to the season.

O-line ranked highest at 4.0 which qualified for BEST in the league PRIOR to the season.

FWIW QB ranked second lowest on offense at 2.8 which qualified for 11th in the league PRIOR to the season and Baker's injury, O-Line injuries, WR's not playing well, etc.

BTW the RBs ranked 4.0 which qualified for BEST in the league.

Next year the O-Line will still be good, we may not get a 4.0 ranking due to expected departure of Tretter at C and what 'appeared' to be a step backwards for Jed at LT.

Next year our WRs will get a much lower ranking unless Berry lands a FA WR whale and nabs a blue-chip WR draft prospect.  I have faith AB will address WR but doubt we land thee top FA WR AND a blue-chip WR in the draft.  I think we'll land an 'ok' FA WR and the 3rd best WR in the draft who I doubt will rate as a blue-chip prospect.

And Baker will rank far lower than 11th best QB in the league next year.

On the bright side the defense took a step forward and 'should' rank higher.

Haven't visited this well before the season.

It shows the team ranking at every position.

Before the season we ranked 'ok' at WR and ranked the highest possible at O-Line.

WR was the lowest ranked on the team at 2.5 which qualified for 13th best in the league PRIOR to the season.

O-line ranked highest at 4.0 which qualified for BEST in the league PRIOR to the season.

FWIW QB ranked second lowest on offense at 2.8 which qualified for 11th in the league PRIOR to the season and Baker's injury, O-Line injuries, WR's not playing well, etc.

BTW the RBs ranked 4.0 which qualified for BEST in the league.

Next year the O-Line will still be good, we may not get a 4.0 ranking due to expected departure of Tretter at C and what 'appeared' to be a step backwards for Jed at LT.

Next year our WRs will get a much lower ranking unless Berry lands a FA WR whale and nabs a blue-chip WR draft prospect.  I have faith AB will address WR but doubt we land thee top FA WR AND a blue-chip WR in the draft.  I think we'll land an 'ok' FA WR and the 3rd best WR in the draft who I doubt will rate as a blue-chip prospect.

And Baker will rank far lower than 11th best QB in the league next year.

On the bright side the defense took a step forward and 'should' rank higher.
👍🏽 
I’m just saying the front office attempted to get baker good players on offense. 13th ranked is above average, and the TEs weren’t bad (talentwise) by any stretch. I don’t think the failure is all on baker but he didn’t seem to help. 

:goodposting:  Just came to post this. If you have a chance to listen to it, you should, right at the end of the Ken Carmen show.
So is this the interview where they talk about Mary Kay Cabot?  If it is I am not understanding the controversy that it has become.  She stated what was reported to her, and he denied it.  Also, several other players who have played in Cleveland area seemed to agree that the media maybe bent the truth?      Dilfer in the podcast stated that these "journalist" are being told by their bosses to create content.   

So is this the interview where they talk about Mary Kay Cabot?  If it is I am not understanding the controversy that it has become.  She stated what was reported to her, and he denied it.  Also, several other players who have played in Cleveland area seemed to agree that the media maybe bent the truth?      Dilfer in the podcast stated that these "journalist" are being told by their bosses to create content.   
You should hide this post, listen to the interview, then comment. 

lol, yeah they're gonna get smoked by the Chiefs.

just kinda sad that as bad as the AFC north was this year (and the AFC in general), the Browns couldn't get into the playoffs.
I dunno. This team experiencing failure like this may be necessary in order for them to learn. Had a couple bounces and calls gone our way that didn't and we make the playoffs then such a learning opportunity doesn't really exist. Maybe this is just the bargaining stage talking, but this team wasn't going anywhere had they made the dance. Future us is more likely to benefit given this outcome rather than the alternative.

I dunno. This team experiencing failure like this may be necessary in order for them to learn. Had a couple bounces and calls gone our way that didn't and we make the playoffs then such a learning opportunity doesn't really exist. Maybe this is just the bargaining stage talking, but this team wasn't going anywhere had they made the dance. Future us is more likely to benefit given this outcome rather than the alternative.
as bad as this season was, they still had a good defense and a good running game. 

that will always give you a chance in the playoffs.

but sure, i'll listen to the argument that sometimes failure makes a team stronger moving forwards.

i thought that's what the Kitchens year was, a failure for the team to realize they need to put in the work instead of reading their press clippings.

maybe this year will serve as a wake up call for Stefanski.  he's still a young coach with a lot to learn.

next season's schedule:

HOME

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals

Pittsburgh Steelers

New England Patriots

New York Jets

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

L.A. Chargers

AWAY

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Cincinnati Bengals

Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers

Houston Texans

Washington Football Team

:lol:

I must be maturing because I think I already went through depression and never experienced anger, so once I get through this I can attain acceptance and move on.
Congratulations on reaching black belt as a Brown's fan

AWAY

Carolina Panthers - Sweet, will get to see them live!!

Trivia note, last time they played @ Carolina was the beginning of the end for Johnny as Luke Kuechly ran him out of bounds on a scramble and he pulled up lame with a hammy.

Congratulations on reaching black belt as a Brown's fan

AWAY

Carolina Panthers - Sweet, will get to see them live!!

Trivia note, last time they played @ Carolina was the beginning of the end for Johnny as Luke Kuechly ran him out of bounds on a scramble and he pulled up lame with a hammy.
That was the most suspect injury I ever witnessed. You could see the fear in Johnny’s eyes! 

Users who are viewing this thread