Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Cleveland Browns -

Bears Request to Interview Pair of Browns Front Office Members The Chicago Bears have interest in two VP’s in the Browns organization.

The Chicago Bears are in search of a new general manager after today’s firing of Ryan Pace. Chicago has requested to interview a pair of Browns’ front office members, per a report.

Browns VP of football operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and VP of player personnel Glenn Cook are two people the Bears are eying for their open general manager job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NFL compensatory picks for minority coaches and executives explained

... the league’s new rule rewarding teams that help develop minority coaches and executives will be put into place...

... third-round picks will come after the compensatory picks that are awarded to teams for losing free agent players.

56 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

... the league’s new rule rewarding teams that help develop minority coaches and executives will be put into place...

... third-round picks will come after the compensatory picks that are awarded to teams for losing free agent players.

This has nothing to do with the Browns situation but I think awarding compensatory draft picks for coaches and executives is absurd.   It is just a matter of time before compensatory picks are given for trainers and ball boys.

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

This has nothing to do with the Browns situation but I think awarding compensatory draft picks for coaches and executives is absurd.   It is just a matter of time before compensatory picks are given for trainers and ball boys.

Both of

THESE

GUYS

are up for GM positions so that qualifies as executives unless I'm missing something.

EDIT:  Both are considered team executives and the Browns would qualify for compensatory picks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Browns Wire@TheBrownsWire

Two Browns front office execs are on the Bears, and likely others, radar. Both could lead to draft compensation for the Browns if hired as GM elsewhere:

Edited by Bracie Smathers

i'm not going to turn down the extra picks, but i'm not sure how much this really moves the needle.

so a team is going to hire minorities on the off chance someone leaves in a few years and they get essentially a high 4th round pick out of it?

maybe i'm not fully grasping the idea.

5 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

i'm not going to turn down the extra picks, but i'm not sure how much this really moves the needle.

so a team is going to hire minorities on the off chance someone leaves in a few years and they get essentially a high 4th round pick out of it?

maybe i'm not fully grasping the idea.

Agreed.  I don't get it either.  

30 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Its pretty clear.

If either Browns team executives Kwesi or Glenn get hired away by another NFL team as general managers the Brown get a compensatory pick.

yes, i get that part.

the question is, if they are trying to encourage minority hires and development, is this the best way to promote that?

should compensatory draft picks be the carrot that the NFL is using?  

eta:  this topic probably deserves it's own thread.

Edited by amnesiac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, amnesiac said:

...the question is, if they are trying to encourage minority hires and development, is this the best way to promote that?

should compensatory draft picks be the carrot that the NFL is using?  

eta:  this topic probably deserves it's own thread.

The NFL is something like over 70% black whereas front offices are/were something like 3% black.  Embarrassing, unconscionable discrepancy. 

SHOULD the NFL try something?  Yeppers.

Is compensatory picks optimal?  Social change that is overdue doesn't have an optimal natural water-flowing-downhill setting or it wouldn't get to the unconscionable stage.

I have lots to say on forced social change that is window dressing that doesn't fit the forum, but the NFL is trying and I'm for it.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

If either Browns team executives Kwesi or Glenn get hired away by another NFL team as general managers the Brown get a compensatory pick.

That doesn't seem like much of a carrot for someone to hire a minority, they get nothing out of it. How is giving the Browns a pick supposed to encourage the Bears? I could see it actually hurting minorities in some cases. Maybe PITT is on the edge of whether to hire a minority hire, but he works for the Browns. Do they pass so a division rival doesn't come away with an extra pick?

Edited by DallasDMac
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

That doesn't seem like much of a carrot for someone to hire a minority, they get nothing out of it. How is giving the Browns a pick supposed to encourage the Bears? I could see it actually hurting minorities in some cases. Maybe PITT is on the edge of whether to hire a minority hire, but he works for the Browns. Do they pass so a division rival doesn't come away with an extra pick?

The team making a minority hire is not giving up a pick or that would be a penalty discouraging hiring of minorities.  

Before this policy few minorities got interviews let alone had high profiles to the point they were being snatched up by other teams.  Once they incorporated the policy there was one or two, then a trickle and now it looks like a stream of these stories, so it seems to be working.

At least one other team is interested in both Browns VP of football operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and VP of player personnel Glenn Cook, improving the odds one or both will get hired away.  The Browns 'would' acquire compensatory picks if either are hired as executives for another NFL team.

Vikings to Interview Two Current Browns Front Office Members for Vacant General Manager Position

11 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

that is an interesting hypothetical.  

i would like to think if they really like the candidate they’re not going to be too concerned about the Browns getting what is essentially a fourth round pick.   

which again, brings us back to the question is it enough of an incentive in the first place?

and does linking hiring and development practices to draft picks really make sense?

Edited by amnesiac

The Browns put together one of the most diverse front offices in the league with minorities filling many key positions before this rule, so they stand to gain comp picks.

Teams who lack minorities lose nothing.  In the future they may find it easier to interview/vet qualified candidates if they hire someone with a proven track record from another team.  Thus, THEY would stand to be in the position the Browns currently are in with many qualified minority executives where they would stand to gain comp picks if they were hired away.

One big advantage that teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have had over the Browns are the number of compensatory picks they have gotten by losing free agents.  The Browns, who had previously been talent-poor were in a constant deficit.  

I like the rule on the value it 'could' create, and I like the rule on principle. 

On 1/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, Bracie Smathers said:
On 1/5/2022 at 5:37 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

... Lets look at the WRs.

The receivers SUUUUUUUUUCKED ...

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Does PFF have an axe to grind against the Browns? Here's how they grade them?

• DPJ - 76th
  • Landry - 85th
  • Schwartz - 110th
  • Higgins - 120th

Very good/interesting read.  

Begins by showing that last year we began with an 'illusion' of strength at WR since OBJ was overpriced and injured and we were counting on him to finally break through. Goes into more detail on the rest of the WRs.

I thought the most interesting part was the explanation of what happened  in  the 2nd round of last year's draft.   

We were targeting a WR and EDGE rusher in the 2nd round last year before moving-up for JOK.  Since we failed to get a WR we settled for 'speed' WR Schwartz in the 3rd round.

Browns Offensive Issues Start at Wide Receiver

... However bad the quarterback play was for the Cleveland Browns in 2021, the wide receivers position was worse. A group that was supposed to be a strength demonstrated all of the staying power of Corey Coleman, giving way to injuries, regression and even desertion, reducing it one of the least effective on the team alongside defensive tackle and punter while being the most expensive.

Definitely sounds like a mental health issue.   

and maybe bath salts?  are those still a thing?

seems like people on bath salts are always getting naked and fighting the cops.

• Like 1

I'm a lil shocked at how much cap space we have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Field Yates@FieldYates

NFL teams recently declared unused 2021 cap space rollover amounts (below).

After the playoffs, the NFL will audit incentives, bonuses, etc by team. That figure will be added/subtracted to the number below.

The sum + the 2022 Salary Cap = each team's 2022 adjusted cap number.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Ben Goessling@BenGoessling

And there you go. Would make it Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, who's interviewing with the #Vikings today, as the favorite to get the job here.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Bears are finalizing a deal to hire Chiefs’ Assistant Director of Player Personnel Ryan Poles as their next general manager, per league sources

----------------------------------------------------

Bears announce hiring of Ryan Poles

... Kansas City will receive a third-round pick in 2022 and a third-round pick in 2023 as a reward for developing a minority General Manager hired by another team.

----------------------

KC got TWO 3rd round picks.

Add: Should Kwesi get hired by Minnesota, a built-in established working relationship with the Browns front office 'could' lead to deals between the Vikes and Browns.

9 hours ago, daveR said:

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Browns still had the Hue as HC and Allen still had some redflags that needed to be addressed. Good chance he may not have developed as well as going to the Bills.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:00 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Interesting, we get 2 third-round compensatory picks for Kwesi but consider that the Vikings will hire a new head coach and it stands to reason Kwesi will have a say if not final say on who the hire will be.

Interesting because Browns DC Woods star rose this year.

It is 'possible' that the Browns 'could' reap a few more comp picks should Joy Woods be named the next HC of the Vikings.

Haven't heard anything along those lines, jes say'n.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, unsubstantiated but mildly credible rumor - someone in the Trubisky family wants the message out there that there is mutual interest between him and the Browns. Feel free to react (or don't) accordingly - just please don't shoot the messenger.

18 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Indifferent. My thoughts center around a swing-and-a-miss by Berry thinking we could make it work with him here.

I told a friend last night, karma finished even last night. OBJ got his moment in the game and a ring. CLE saw him get hurt which is probably gonna shorten his career by a good bit.

Not saying I or anyone here wanted him to get hurt but there were plenty on the socials last night who were happy about it. 

6 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Also, unsubstantiated but mildly credible rumor - someone in the Trubisky family wants the message out there that there is mutual interest between him and the Browns. Feel free to react (or don't) accordingly - just please don't shoot the messenger.

Of course they do. Is that an upgrade? Maybe slight just because of size? Seems like a more lateral move to keep the seat warm while we find a real QB.

Just now, beer 30 said:

Of course they do. Is that an upgrade? Maybe slight just because of size? Seems like a more lateral move to keep the seat warm while we find a real QB.

Nope. My response when it came up in conversation - I'm sure the Browns are exploring those of Trubisky's ilk to see if one of them will sign multiple years for backup money that the Browns can get out of after a year. What I'm more curious about is if that is their plan A and there's no way to find that out when the source is connected to Trubisky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Gave him Baker Mayfield to work with.

They should be after every single available QB. Instead of grasping to hope that their "former #1 pick turns it around" when he's never been great to begin with.

So he whined and cried his way out while playing like crap to get to a better situation.  And this guy gets praise for this??

Glad this is the character we appreciate from these guys, geeze.

But yeah, we need a QB, lol

• 2 weeks later...

WR 'appears' to be a lock, but we could have an unexpected pick in the first round.  QB would be shocking but don't overlook DE/EDGE.

I don't think 'The Greek God' will be available because he is going to have great Combine numbers.  Leapt off the screen when noting players who 'could' be available when we pick.  Ryan Kerrigan comp.

---------------------------------------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

If you're not taking the possibility of Purdue DE George Karlaftis to the #Browns seriously, you should.

Scouting Report: George Karlaftis III, DE Purdue

------------------------------------------------

ANALYST'S REPORTS  ...Karlaftis might be the best power rusher in this year’s class... most impressed with Karlaftis’ motor and close quarters combat... 

---------------

SCOUTING REPORT:  ...

He made Bruce Feldman's Freaks list - at #7. Feldman wrote: - He's up to 272 lbs, yet his body fat has dropped from 25% to 15%. He power cleans 380, broad jumps 10-1 & has a 37-inch vert, but that's just the beginning of why he's such a Freak:

Offers versatility, rushing from a two-and three-point stance with the playing speed to stand up in space. Flashes strength as a bull rusher and his energy doesn't plateau.

Very versatile has the size speed and size to play a number of different roles at the next level - has been successfully used as both an interior and outside rusher

-----------

George Karlaftis NFL Draft 2022: Scouting Report for Purdue EDGE ... 

Great first step. Coils and explodes out of his stance.

Gains a ton of ground through his second and third steps. Helps threaten the edge immediately and gain momentum behind his frame.

— Very good pop in his hands. Can knock blockers back straight away versus both run and pass.

Power can be overwhelming. Flashes of relentless lower-body explosion and leg drive.

--------------------

WHO IS GEORGE KARLAFTIS? ...Karlaftis’ deep toolkit outside the tackles has produced some of the most impressive tape this fall. As prior mentioned, everything for the 6-foot-4 defender starts up top with his hands. He wins early, wins often, and in a multitude of ways. Whether it's a quick rip move to grease the edge or a “catch” of the opposing tackle’s hands to then quickly swim to the inside, he’s as technically refined as they come this spring. Although he doesn’t possess elite burst off the edge or ideal flexibility in his ankles to bend the edge and shorten angles around opposing linemen, it’s his knack for consistently converting power to speed that sneaks up on tackles ... an easy comparison >>> Ryan Kerrigan.

I expect management plans to put the team in a position to pick WR, EDGE, or trade down. Maintaining flexibility in April will drive March decision making. 

They'll acquire at least 1-2 WR in March with plans on acquiring another 1-2 in April, but not be reliant on that WR being an alpha. I also expect them to acquire their week 1 edge in March. That guy probably won't be a premier option though. He'll be 'good enough' then if someone like Karlaftis falls to 13 then it'd take a very compelling offer to pivot away from him. He almost certainly isn't gonna be there, but I'm very curious what this team will do in the extremely unlikely event the safety Hamilton falls to #13. 

Right now, I'm more curious about what this team may do on day 2 than day 1. March actions could certainly change that though.

imo, the Browns will go all out to boost the offense this year. 

i wouldn't rule out a trade up for one of the premier WRs in the draft.

either Mayfield thrives, or they have the team set up for the next QB to come in.

11 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

imo, the Browns will go all out to boost the offense this year. 

i wouldn't rule out a trade up for one of the premier WRs in the draft.

either Mayfield thrives, or they have the team set up for the next QB to come in.

I'd be shocked. I could see them justifying Wilson or Burks at 13, but I think it's more likely move backwards and/or pick them up day 2. Starting caliber WR's will be there day 2 if mgmt isn't picky.

15 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I'd be shocked. I could see them justifying Wilson or Burks at 13, but I think it's more likely move backwards and/or pick them up day 2. Starting caliber WR's will be there day 2 if mgmt isn't picky.

if they're still considering giving Mayfield a massive contract, i wouldn't hesitate to spend a bit to make sure i got my guy.

the Browns have had plenty of "starting caliber" WRs.  imo, they need a true #1 so they can make their final analysis on the QB.

if they go with day 2 guys, they've already made up their mind on the QB.

1 hour ago, amnesiac said:

if they're still considering giving Mayfield a massive contract, i wouldn't hesitate to spend a bit to make sure i got my guy.

the Browns have had plenty of "starting caliber" WRs.  imo, they need a true #1 so they can make their final analysis on the QB.

if they go with day 2 guys, they've already made up their mind on the QB.

I don't think this team agrees they NEED an alpha. I understand many want the Browns to identify their target and go get them, but I don't think that's how this group operates. They'll identify the best fits and quantify the price they'll pay to get them. It's possible Burks or Wilson fit that bill, but the only way I see them moving up to get him is if they don't think there are viable alternatives available beyond them...which I would find stunning.

10 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I don't think this team agrees they NEED an alpha. I understand many want the Browns to identify their target and go get them, but I don't think that's how this group operates. They'll identify the best fits and quantify the price they'll pay to get them. It's possible Burks or Wilson fit that bill, but the only way I see them moving up to get him is if they don't think there are viable alternatives available beyond them...which I would find stunning.

you’re probably right.  just superimposing what I think they should do. 

honestly, if that’s how they think, the Browns will probably be stuck in mediocrity for some time.

which is somewhat better than what they have been for the last 20 years. 

13 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Agree.  The WRs are deep enough to take one rnd 2.  I think I'd take Linderbaum in the first.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:35 PM, daveR said:

I'd take Linderbaum in the first.

Field Yates@FieldYates

The Browns and RT Jack Conklin have agreed to a reworked final year of his deal, per source. Conklin was due a $12M non-guaranteed salary, but will now earn an $8M fully guaranteed salary, with $4M in play-time incentives starting at 55% and up to 75%.

-----------------------------------

Even though Conklin restructured our OGs are the league's highest paid and Tretter has a big contract.  Jedrick Wills is still on his rookie contract, but his contract will also be high when he comes off that in two years since he was a 1st round pick.  Not ideal to add another high contract to the O-line.

WR is the biggest need, but there isn't a Jamar Chase in this draft and WR is a position that we haven't had luck hitting on. 

If an EDGE drops into our lap it would make a lot of sense since those contracts are some of the most expensive.  If we got a 'solid' EDGE we'd have a rookie contract providing four years of high value rookie cap space. 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, MAC_32 said:

WR, EDGE, or trade down.

I am of the same mindset, but imagine many teams want to trade-down in this draft since its deep and 'comparable' prospects should be available later.  The only scenario for a 'realistic' trade-down IMHO would be if QB needy team fell in love with a QB who was available when we're on the clock.  I would love for a team like Detroit with the last pick of the 1st to trade up since I think at least one of the top-5 WRs will still be on the board and for that big of a move-down we'd get a good return. 

20 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

If an EDGE drops into our lap it would make a lot of sense...

Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks

The first round of the 2022 NFL Draft is going to be one edge rusher after another, after another, after another...Can't wait to see these guys in Indy. I've been told they are going to put on a show!

----------------------------------------------------

FMIA: NFL Combine Prep Begins With These 5 Truths About The ’22 Draft

2. Very good draft for edge players and wideouts. On his overall draft board, Jeremiah has six edge rushers in his top 20 players. ESPN’s Todd McShay has five and Matt Miller of ESPN has six in his top 20. Regarding wideouts: “Just record my answer and play it back for the next 20 years,” Jeremiah said. “This draft is loaded with wideouts, and we’re going to see a massive amount every year.” 

-----------------------------

'LOADED with WRs and we're going to see a massive amount (of WRs) every year.  Meaning, 'should' an EDGE drop its a 'rare' opportunity as WRs 'will' drop and 'should' be available in foreseeable future drafts.

Lines up where we 'SHOULD' be looking at EDGE with the top pick if one drops or trade-down where one of the top WRs 'will' still be available since this draft is 'LOADED WITH WIDEOUTS'.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

I'm a lil shocked at how much cap space we have.

Sam Penix@Sam_Penix

Moving on from Landry, Hooper, Keenum, and Wilson gives the #Browns over $61M in cap space, needing to retain Njoku and pay a starting EDGE among other things