Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Cleveland Browns -

I’m confused by the Ridley news. 

I believe NFL players should be allowed to bet on their own team to win.  

What’s the problem here?

3 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Didnt expect Njoku to be franchised.  Hmmm

not surprised at all.  it’s been rumored for a while, and we know Stefanski loves him some TEs.  

better to roll with the devil you know, I guess. 

3 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Deuces, Hooper

another good player who didn’t connect with Mayfield. 

maybe someone smarter than I am can connect those dots?

6 hours ago, amnesiac said:

What’s the problem here?

Doesnt matter what you believe.  That's the rule.  

12 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Nor did I.  I guess that means there was no FA they considered more important and they expected to pay Njoku anyway.  So, "good news" in a roundabout way.

13 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Doesnt matter what you believe.  That's the rule.  

lol, thanks.  

what’s the point?  

obviously betting against your team raises all sorts of questions.  but why betting for your team to win?   doesn’t make sense.  

48 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

lol, thanks.  

what’s the point?  

obviously betting against your team raises all sorts of questions.  but why betting for your team to win?   doesn’t make sense.  

If you cant understand why players betting on their own games is a bad thing that can't end well, there is nothing I can do to help you.  It is what it is.  

That and, yeah, the rule is spelled out for the players plain as day.  If there was a rule that said they cant wear orange socks or they are suspended for 1 year, then they deserve the 1 year suspension for being dumb enough to wear orange socks.  

The socks rule would obviously be a dumb rule.  The gambling rule isnt a dumb rule.  You can argue that betting 1500 bucks on a 1 game shouldnt deserve a 1 year ban, however, the rule is in place so that gambling amongst players doesnt go off the rails, which is certainly WOULD if it was allowed.

22 hours ago, amnesiac said:

What’s the problem here?

2nd player in 40 years stupid enough to get suspended for a clearly spelled out rule. FORTY YEARS. The problem here is he's dumb as a rock.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, MAC_32 said:
On 3/7/2022 at 7:55 PM, ghostguy123 said:

Deuces, Hooper

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Some still don't seem to understand Austin Hooper's contract situation. His release with a post-June 1 designation will save the team $9.5 million this season. The tight end would still be on the books for $3.75 million from 2022-24.

9 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Some still don't seem to understand Austin Hooper's contract situation. His release with a post-June 1 designation will save the team $9.5 million this season. The tight end would still be on the books for $3.75 million from 2022-24.

Njoku + Bryant + mid round rookie + Hooper cut = similar tight end budget as this year. Keeping Hooper would be an...interesting way to allocate spending. Although they still may be relying on an exrension for Chief.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Keeping Hooper would be an...interesting way to allocate spending. Although they still may be relying on an exrension for Chief.

I thought he was gone but now I'm not so sure.

Go to the link to see the reasoning for keeping Hooper.

The financials make sense.

Browns Likely to Keep Austin Hooper and David Njoku

...  According to a report from ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Browns plan to keep Hooper along with Njoku and Harrison Bryant 

Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerESPN

I'm told the Browns' plan is to keep Austin Hooper along with David Njoku, despite Njoku's franchise tag of $10.9 million. Hooper is due $9.5M in salary in the third of a four-year deal.

... There are a few key reasons why the Browns would be inclined to keep Hooper

On 3/8/2022 at 10:28 PM, DallasDMac said:

2nd player in 40 years stupid enough to get suspended for a clearly spelled out rule. FORTY YEARS. The problem here is he's dumb as a rock.

I’m not arguing that at all.  the rules are the rules.  

On 3/8/2022 at 8:45 PM, ghostguy123 said:

If you cant understand why players betting on their own games is a bad thing that can't end well, there is nothing I can do to help you.  It is what it is.  

That and, yeah, the rule is spelled out for the players plain as day.  If there was a rule that said they cant wear orange socks or they are suspended for 1 year, then they deserve the 1 year suspension for being dumb enough to wear orange socks.  

The socks rule would obviously be a dumb rule.  The gambling rule isnt a dumb rule.  You can argue that betting 1500 bucks on a 1 game shouldnt deserve a 1 year ban, however, the rule is in place so that gambling amongst players doesnt go off the rails, which is certainly WOULD if it was allowed.

all kidding aside, i would really appreciate an explanation on how it would go "off the rails"

if they are betting on themselves, are you saying they would resort to cheating to win?  flagrant penalties injuring the other team's players?  that sort of thing?

3 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Now if you only had a QB

zero excuses for baker this season... you have a top 5 crisp route runner in the NFL out there.... he should be fully healed, post surgery... good oline and ELITE rungame....

make or break. I still have some faith in him

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

zero excuses for baker this season... you have a top 5 crisp route runner in the NFL out there.... he should be fully healed, post surgery... good oline and ELITE rungame....

make or break. I still have some faith in him

Baker is very average.  Oh well

39 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

So what is Coopers contract?

24 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

$20M each of the next 3 years.

With little in the way of guarantees unless restructured, which they probably will.

7 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

With little in the way of guarantees unless restructured, which they probably will.

don’t they usually negotiate a new contract before the trade is announced?

16 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Looks like a one-year.  He's from Miami, no state income tax, he wanted to go there, he's got a ridiculous contract, I don't see this as anything but a one-year-rental.

Few seem to realize how AWFUL that our WRs have been the last few years. Amari is welcome to stay if he plays well and stays healthy and earns his contract. 

More than happy it only cost a 5th round draft pick and money that was going to guys who didn't produce at the position. 

Best part?

Doesn't box us in to WR with our top draft pick.  LOVE it.

-----------------------

Matt Harmon@MattHarmon_BYB

I 100% understand why Dallas moved on but this is an awesome trade for the Browns, who might have had the weakest WR depth chart in the NFL before this deal. Still gotta make a decision on Landry’s contract. Either way it won’t be the last WR move the team makes this offseason.

Edited by Bracie Smathers

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Call me crazy, but signing Cooper does not have anything to do with who we draft at 13, nor should it.

So, team needs don't factor into drafts?  Of course they do.  Are you implying that you look on Cooper as a 1-year fix?

Just now, daveR said:

So, team needs don't factor into drafts?  Of course they do.  Are you implying that you look on Cooper as a 1-year fix?

Cooper or no Cooper, our WR room isnt very strong.  Even with Cooper the Browns are close to the bottom in WR talent.  

As for a 1 year fix, I think it would be foolish to assume Cooper is some sort of long term answer, even if he is actually here in 2 years which he probably wont be.

Just now, daveR said:

I guess you guys are evaluating the WRs assuming that Landry is gone.  

The offseason hasn't technically began, so to say any evaluation is fluid would be a vast under statement. I think Juice is gone, but if he unexpectedly accepts a pay cut then I'd be ecstatic about him coming back. Doesn't change where WR falls on the priority list though. Good draft decisions aren't made with this year in mind; they're made forward thinking. Now is the time of year to fill gaps, so needs don't drive decision making late April.

So Coopers 20 million for 2022 becomes fully guaranteed on March 20th.

Any chance they are negotiating with him, and could conceivably release him if unable to come to a deal rather than pay 20 million??

Or more likely, they sign a new deal prior to then for more guaranteed but less overall money?

Edited by ghostguy123

3 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Any chance they are negotiating with him, and could conceivably release him if unable to come to a deal rather than pay 20 million??

:mellow:

@MySportsUpdate

Deshaun Watson is scheduled to meet with the #Browns on Tuesday after he met with the Saints and Panthers on Monday, according to @AaronWilson_NFL . New Orleans and Carolina have both made strong trade proposals to Houston - but Watson holds the cards with a no-trade clause.

🥳

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Or more likely, they sign a new deal prior to then for more guaranteed but less overall money?

That would be really poor management, let's trade a 5th round pick for a guy so we can cut him? They would have just waited for Dallas to cut him if that were the case.

Honestly, looking at some of these WR deals, 20 million for Cooper isn't an unreasonable salary at all. Certainly prefer Cooper for 20 than Kirk for 16, or Williams for 20 for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brownsfan said:

https://musketfire.com/2022/03/15/patriots-trade-chase-winovich-to-browns/?a_aid=36534

Bye Mack Wilson, good luck in New England. Hopefully a fresh start will help them both.

The headline of the story reads:  Patriots trade new-look Chase Winovich to Browns

Loved Winovich coming out as a pass rusher.  Apparently, Winovich suffered a hamstring and had a down year.  Haven't followed him too closely but the Pats have a 'couple' of really good pass rushing LBers so he was not going to get a lot of PT.  Mack Wilson was limited, and JOK made him irrelevant.

Cap saving move.   Harris really improved last year so this was expected.

Browns will release JC Tretter

...The move comes with one year left on Tretter’s contract and will result in over $8.235 million in cap savings for Cleveland. They will have $1.625 million in dead money as well.

...2020 fifth-round pick Nick Harris is likely on track to take over the starting center spot.

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

..The move comes with one year left on Tretter’s contract and will result in over $8.235 million in cap savings for Cleveland. They will have $1.625 million in dead money as well.

...2020 fifth-round pick Nick Harris is likely on track to take over the starting center spot.

I love how these things evolve.  Somebody needs to write something, so they evaluate potential cap hits.  Someone else, quoting "a source" decides to publish it as "likely".  A third party assumes it's going to happen & we get it next.  Sometimes it happens, but I'd like a scorecard on these rumors.

Tretter released.  I wish I knew who I could trust...

Edited by daveR
tretter

1 hour ago, Brownsfan said:

Remember how much Mack Wilson was hyped as a first round talent we were able to get in the fifth round due to his injury status. I really was expecting more from him.

It wasn't so much injury, but limited game.  He does what he does well, but isn't an every-down player. BB will find a niche for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brownsfan said:

Remember how much Mack Wilson was hyped as a first round talent we were able to get in the fifth round due to his injury status. I really was expecting more from him.

He went where he should have went. Even at the time, that 1st round talent talk was silly. Wilson wasn't even good in college, he was just a good athlete. 

Winovich is a solid player. He was looking like a quality starter before injuries did him in a year ago. He's not Clowney, but he's not that far behind, and he's a hell of a lot cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Browns will release JC Tretter

...The move comes with one year left on Tretter’s contract and will result in over $8.235 million in cap savings for Cleveland. They will have $1.625 million in dead money as well.

That seems like a mistake. Tretter is a top-5 Center in the NFL, and the interior OL is the strength of the offense. 

Harris is has looked ok when he's played, but this would be a major downgrade. 

7 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

@MySportsUpdate

Deshaun Watson is scheduled to meet with the #Browns on Tuesday after he met with the Saints and Panthers on Monday, according to @AaronWilson_NFL . New Orleans and Carolina have both made strong trade proposals to Houston - but Watson holds the cards with a no-trade clause.

🥳

No chance Watson comes to CLE

Cutting Tretter was a surprise but I don't keep up with these things much. Was that kind of known beforehand? Hate to see him go.

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

Cutting Tretter was a surprise but I don't keep up with these things much. Was that kind of known beforehand? Hate to see him go.

Known? No. On the table? Yes. The Teller and Bitonio extensions in fall put the writing on the wall for either Conklin or Teller then when the former restructured it left Teller on the chopping block. Cause if he wasn't that is a lot of loot to devote to the OL. I expect the savings to be allocated to the DL.

• Thanks 1