What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

teams don’t have to pay game checks during suspension, correct?

I’d imagine they have to be able to fit the whole contract under the salary cap, but do they get to carry those amounts forward to the next year?
The base value of his contract in 2022 was written up as $1M in case he was suspended. About 60k per game. Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send offers for Njoku asap imo.
Watson didn’t utilize his TE’s much in Houston. Every once in a while one would blow up for a big game and then he’d ignore them the rest of the season. Granted none of them had Njoku’s pedigree.

Watson’s not big on passing to RB’s either, especially check downs. He’s a bit like Mahomes in that he prefers to run around and try to make something happen down field. But Cleveland’s line is light years better than anything he ever had in Houston so I wouldn’t expect him to be flushed out all the time like he was in Houston.

Browns freed up 15 million restructuring Cooper's deal. Said to be looking to bring in Clowney and/or Fuller? Getting the band back together with Watson?

Also looking at bringing back Landry for cheaper, now that Watson is on board. 

I'd probably prefer to spend on the WRs. Fuller>Landry>Clowney would be the order that would make most sense to me.

Browns freed up 15 million ... looking to bring in Clowney and... Landry 

...I'd probably prefer to spend on the WRs. Fuller>Landry>Clowney would be the order that would make most sense to me.
Priority is Clowney.  He's a perfect fit, knows system/defense and 'played well/was productive'.  The defense does things when he's in that can't be done by others.  He's 'scary-good' setting the edge AND can deliver consistent pass rush.  

Heard rumors when the Watson news broke that a 'former player' who recently had been released wanted to return when he heard we got Watson, has to be Landry who won't get the sort of money he wanted in FA and honestly never wanted to leave. 

Browns did him a solid granting him a release prior to free agency but he's got no takers and will/would have to wait a long time for the 'second wave' of FA after June 1st.  I think he realizes that his 'best' shot to get big numbers is with the Browns.  Once again, he knows the system/coaches and would be a great fit.

The draft is deep at WR, pass rusher/EDGE is ALWAYS comes first so the top priority is Jadeveon.  I'm sure lots of FA WRs would want a shot to work with Watson and this draft is deep at WR so Clowney.

There's a lot to unpack but one thing that Watson brings is elite franchise QB talent.
Matt Miller@nfldraftscout
Very good point.

Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks

The BUF/KC playoff game was a turning point moment in the NFL. The quality of QB play was off the charts and it had to hit home with every HC/GM/Owner. Is my QB good enough to compete with that???

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout
Very good point.

Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks

The BUF/KC playoff game was a turning point moment in the NFL. The quality of QB play was off the charts and it had to hit home with every HC/GM/Owner. Is my QB good enough to compete with that???
:goodposting:

If minds weren't changed before that game they were with that performance. You don't need a guy that does that every week, but you need a guy that can.

Big risk by the Browns with this signing. I understand you want the franchise qb, but this is not 1 or 2 allegations. At best, this guy is an extreme creep, you would never leave any woman close to you around. 

For all of Cleveland's sake, I hope the Browns management didn't just roll out the red carpet to a predator on the streets of Cleveland. 

Going to be a tough couple years of rationalizing. 

(thehuddle) Free-agent WR Odell Beckham Jr. (Rams) said he is open to a potential return to the Cleveland Browns, according to a source. Analysis: Although he will likely be limited at the start of the season after suffering a knee injury in the Super Bowl, Beckham showed he can still be a productive receiver after joining the Rams. A return to Cleveland seems unlikely, but the tandem of Beckham and Deshaun Watson would be intriguing.

With Watson and Brissett signings now officially announced, will we see any other FA news coming in?  Still looking for that DE, DT, and WR.  Wouldn't mind Clownery, Fuller and Landry. 

With Watson and Brissett signings now officially announced, will we see any other FA news coming in?  Still looking for that DE, DT, and WR.  Wouldn't mind Clownery, Fuller and Landry. 
Clowney's MO it to painfully wait till the last second to sign.  

NFL has seen the 'first wave' of free agency.  Next is the draft.  Then a 'second wave' before June 1st cuts with a 'third wave'. 

DT is a big need.  DT is a position that take a few years to develop so I think/hope we go FA to land at least another DT.

--------------------------

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Updated 2022 NFL Unit Grades

LINK to chart of EVERY NFL team grade of position groups

Gotta get rid of the 18 million dollar black cloud first. 

Despite what people keep saying, the salary cap IS a real thing

Plenty of space available to use while he's still on the roster, they probably intend to just roll his cap # over to 23.
Yes they can still sign guys, but lets say they cant get rid of any of his 18 million, that would present a big problem moving forward and keep us from being able to sign 1 or 2 impact guys

Yes they can still sign guys, but lets say they cant get rid of any of his 18 million, that would present a big problem moving forward and keep us from being able to sign 1 or 2 impact guys
I'll be very surprised if a Talib becomes necessary and shocked if we have to go Osweiler. I don't know when he gets moved and call me naive, but I'm not too worried about it. 

I'll be very surprised if a Talib becomes necessary and shocked if we have to go Osweiler. I don't know when he gets moved and call me naive, but I'm not too worried about it. 
Fortunately Andre Berry isnt impulsive/emotional/irrational/impatient like Browns fans.

Trading Baker right this moment is the absolute worst possible time to try and move him given the Watson ordeal, Bakers trade request, and not to mention he is recovering from surgery and may not even pass a physical yet.

Just released, Clay's detailed projection guide for the 2022 season.  I 'think' he is factoring in a Deshaun Watson suspension. 

Just noticed on the Quarterback Projections page for the entire league that Watson is the 30th ranked QB so I scrolled over and see he is only slotted for 11 games, so he IS factoring in a Watson suspension.  I think that is reasonable or we'd be ranked higher at the QB position with a bump on expected wins.

Also, note that the official NFL schedule has not been released and this gets updated after the draft and right before the season.  

(Go to the Browns page)

Right now, he projects.

• Cleveland slotted for 9.2 wins
  • Baltimore - 9.7 wins
  • Nati - 11 wins
  • Pittsburgh - 5.6 wins
Mike Clay's 2022 NFL Projection Guide

Jamison Hensley@jamisonhensley

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti on Deshaun Watson's $230 million guaranteed contract: "I don't know that he should've been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract. To me, that's something that is groundbreaking, and it'll make negotiations harder with others."

--------------------------------------------------------------

OTHERS?  I wonder who he could be referring to?

I don't 'know' that we were thinking of these two young QBs who are up for humongous extensions, but Watson's contract will impact both the Ravens and Bengals.  

--------------------------------------------------------------

Late for Work 3/21: Lamar Jackson's Contract Extension 'Only Growing' With Recent QB Paydays

...No move had a greater impact than quarterback Deshaun Watson joining the Cleveland Browns.

Lamar Jackson@Lj_era8

Congratulations broski

@deshaunwatson

Overtime@overtime

DESHAUN TO THE BROWNS (per @AdamSchefter)

... Ebony Bird’s Justin Fried also sees the Watson deal impacting the Ravens' negotiations with Jackson.

"You'd better believe Jackson will be looking for something at least remotely similar [to Watson's deal] in the near future," Fried wrote. "Will it be a $230 million contract that's fully guaranteed? Probably not. But with every record-setting contract agreed to, Jackson's leverage and subsequent price only increases."

Joe Burrow extension lurks in background of Bengals’ trip to free agency

... prepping the checkbooks for the star quarterback’s inevitable market-resetting extension.

Burrow, eligible for an extension after the 2022 season

It was the first thing I mentioned when the deal happened. 

We screwed BOTH teams and it only benefits us, financially speaking going forward (and as odd as that sounds)

I don't understand why Jason says, 'we'd gain a bunch if Baker decided to hold out.'  I don't know what he is suggesting, is that a contract thing or???

I honestly don't know how we would 'gain a bunch' with a Baker holdout.  I figure if he held out or acted out it would hurt him, but I don't see how it could benefit us.

I have heard the 'best possible way for this to unfold' is for Baker to still be on the roster, for Deshaun to get suspended, and Baker get starts and play well.  His market would increase.  He hurt himself/his market by getting emotional and going public before we traded for Watson.

There is no hurry on our part to get a deal done but I don't get how a Baker holdout could help the Browns.

How?

----------------------------------------

Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC

This makes sense. Holding out really isn't an option for him and they would gain a bunch if he missed time

IG: JosinaAnderson@JosinaAnderson

While anything can happen my understanding is the #Browns currently plan a patient approach w/ Baker Mayfield's situation. It's also entirely possible they enter the regular season with Mayfield still on the roster & in position to suit up pending Deshaun Watson's playing status.

If he holds out we can roll his cap numbers to 2023.

Unfortunately, it would be in Bakers best interest if we just cut him so then he can go sign a new deal while making his 18 million this year (while his new deal would save us basically none of that).

So, expect baker to be a tool until he is gone

Gotta get rid of the 18 million dollar black cloud first. 

Despite what people keep saying, the salary cap IS a real thing
Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

We're now a couple of weeks into FA. Most of the money is spent, at least on massive deals. Teams still need space to sign their rookie classes, save a little for the season, etc. But here are the franchises with most available salary-cap space at the moment, per

@Spotrac

---------------

Top 5 NFL teams currently holding the most cap space.  Note, available cap includes ALL salary cap hits for the year (Including Baker).  Add, we don't need as much cap to sign draftees since we don't have to pay 1st round pick  so we 'effectively' have 'more' cap.

>>>>  LINK chart salary cap available top-5 NFL teams

If he holds out we can roll his cap numbers to 2023.

Unfortunately, it would be in Bakers best interest if we just cut him so then he can go sign a new deal while making his 18 million this year (while his new deal would save us basically none of that).

So, expect baker to be a tool until he is gone
Thanks, I figured there was a reason why we would benefit if he held out.

I disagree to expect Baker to be a problem.  It is NOT in his best interest.

He hurt his market value making with emotional tweets, we have cap to keep him all year.  If he comes back healthy from rehab, looks good in camp, and a starter goes down his trade/market value increases.

If he sulks we keep him and can deactivate him destroying his market.

NFL FA QB market has been tapped and teams are targeting QBs in the draft.  

Few rookie QBs are not ready to start and veteran QBs get injured.  A team will find itself needing a veteran who can start with potential to take over.

We got one.

Do you actually think Baker will be a good soldier here??  Cmon.  Seriously Bracie.  You cant possibly think that's what he will do

Do you actually think Baker will be a good soldier here??  Cmon.  Seriously Bracie.  You cant possibly think that's what he will do
He over-valued his market.  How  many teams has he already turned off?  He has few left with the need and who 'might' be  willing to take him on but they are evaluating if he is a problem.

Ghost, you think he would act out jeopardizing what could be his last chance to be an NFL starter?  

The Browns want an "adult" at the QB position. There's no coming back from that report. The Browns might hold onto Baker hoping that they can trade him after the draft or if another QB gets hurt, but I doubt he plays for the Browns again even if Watson is suspended for a whole year. 

Baker is known to be obstinate, which can serve him well on the field as part of his competitive drive, but when insulted to that degree in such a public way, this bridge has been burned. Other teams are interested, they just know that Cleveland is in an untenable position. Cleveland could hold him for the full year, but he'd just leave in FA and there's 0 chance they could re-sign him. If they don't want to just cut him and risk him going anywhere, then they might have to pull an Osweiler trade, ironically. 

I think the rumors of a Steelers signing are just unsourced speculation, I think his most likely landing spot is Seattle. 

The Browns traded 6 draft picks and took on the largest guaranteed contract in NFL history.  They have moved on from Baker.

We don't need to hurry to trade him for cap or any other reason and we certainly won't cut him because that would mean we'd eat his entire cap.  We will be patient and see how things unfold.

------------------------------

IG: JosinaAnderson@JosinaAnderson

While anything can happen my understanding is the #Browns currently plan a patient approach w/ Baker Mayfield's situation. It's also entirely possible they enter the regular season with Mayfield still on the roster & in position to suit up pending Deshaun Watson's playing status.

-----------------------------

Makes the most sense.  He rehabs. He reports to camp.  We don't risk injury  by playing him but he'd be ready.  A team will find itself in need of a starter, we trade him at that time.

THIS is how it will play out IMHO. 

ghostguy123 said:
Apparently Vegas odds have the Browns as the favorite to win the division.  Seems......off

coincides w more and more reports that deshaun won't be suspended, at least this season.

Brother of Browns Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Found Dead, Being Investigated as a Homicide 

😢

---

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

The Browns are hosting Arkansas WR Treylon Burks and North Dakota State WR Christian Watson on 30 visits on Friday, per sources. Obviously, Cleveland's got some moving parts at the position (with Jarvis Landry potentially coming back). Watson could be in play Day 2 for them.

--------------------------------

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

(And Burks' shaky 40 time could lead to a slide ... not sure if he makes it all the way to 44, where Cleveland picks first, though.)

-------------------------------

The Dawgland@TheDawgLand

Burks could be a target for the #Browns should they look to move up from 44 #NFLDraft

If we trade up then I don't expect it to be tangibly different than what happened with JOK last year. An early pick value fell far enough so the compensation required to move up is a pick swap later in the same draft. I think that'd have to be a pick # in the high 30's.

After sinking so much capital into Watson I think trade down's or out are much more likely than up. It'd take a unique case to go up and I'd be shocked if it's very high up.

Browns just signed career backup Josh Dobbs to their roster bringing the number of qbs they have in early April up to five.  They do know that they are allowed to sign udfa and don't need to pick up every possible veteran third stringer for when they eventually get rid of Mayfield right?

Browns just signed career backup Josh Dobbs to their roster bringing the number of qbs they have in early April up to five.  They do know that they are allowed to sign udfa and don't need to pick up every possible veteran third stringer for when they eventually get rid of Mayfield right?
Well the internet experts had it right.  

They knew that a team in the AFCN would “pounce” on a division rival’s former QB.  

They knew that a team in the AFCN would “pounce” on a division rival’s former QB.  
Who was that QB that the Steelers and Ravens kept alternating roster spots on several years ago? It was hilarious - one team would cut him, and the other would pick him up. It went on for like 3 years.

I remember Dr. Dave Mays, a QB from the early 70s who was the first Browns QB who was black.  It made news back in the 70s so it amused me to see a tweet that all of QBs that we will be going forward with are black because it isn't newsworthy.  I like that.

Building a 'good QB room' is essential and this makes sense for building a 'good QB room'.  Dobbs and Watson already have a good working relationship.   

---------------------------------------------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Dobbs and Watson know each other well. Not only did they come out in the same draft, but they also both work with private QB coach Quincy Avery

Users who are viewing this thread