What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

League sources: Eric Mangini will be back to coach Cleveland Browns

Cleveland.com

By Tony Grossi

January 07, 2010

Berea, Ohio - Eric Mangini will return as Browns coach for the 2010 season, two league sources confirm.

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com was first to report that Mangini has survived the evaluation of new President Mike Holmgren.

According to a team source with knowledge of the situation, most of Mangini's assistant coaches will also be back.

The Browns have confirmed that Mangini will return. They will issue statements from Holmgren and Mangini shortly. Neither will be available for questions.

Mangini evidently impressed Holmgren during at least two days of one-on-one meetings, which were held to determine if the men from different football cultures could co-exist and work together to reach the same goal.

Mangini, 5-11 in his first season as Browns coach, has three years remaining on his contract. The original four-year deal has been reported as being worth $15.3 million.

Still, it's a stunning triumph for Mangini -- and keeps his winning streak alive. After starting his era with a franchise-worst 1-11 record, he turned around the team to win the last four games.

At his introductory news conference on Tuesday, Holmgren had said that Mangini "absolutely" had the chance to come back, even though Holmgren downplayed the four-game winning streak at the end.

Holmgren gave Mangini a list of points to consider the night before their big meeting on Wednesday. That meeting lasted two hours, a team source said Mangini reported to work at 7 the next morning -- two hours ahead of Holmgren -- and the two football "lifers" met again.

Holmgren informed Mangini of his decision at about 3 o'clock.

A club source said that most of Mangini's assistants will also return. One who won't is receivers coach George McDonald, who has accepted a similar position at Rutgers University.
Link

I think he deserves another crack at it. Towards the end of the year when everyone wouldn't have blamed them for packing it in, he managed to somehow polish a turd. There is clear direction.

2010 NFL Draft

Radio City Music Hall, New York

Rd. 1: Thurs., April 22, 7:30 p.m. ET

Rd. 2-3: Fri., April 23, 6:30 p.m. ET

Rd. 4-7: Sat., April 24, 10 a.m. ET

1. St. Louis (1-15)

2. Detroit (2-14)

3. Tampa Bay (3-13)

4. Washington (4-12)

5. Kansas City (4-12)

6. Seattle (5-11)

7. Cleveland (5-11)

8. Oakland (5-11)

9. Buffalo (6-10)

10/11. Chicago (7-9)* (Traded to DEN)

10/11. Jacksonville (7-9)*

12. Miami (7-9)

13. San Francisco (8-8)

14. Denver (8-8)(Traded to SEA)

15. New York Giants (8-8)

16/17. Carolina (8-8)* (Traded to SF)

16/17. Tennessee (8-8)*

18. Pittsburgh (9-7)

19/20. Atlanta (9-7)*

19/20. Houston (9-7)*

New year!

Mangini -- Can't really complain. Let's see what he can do with a hopefully upgraded roster. Plus, if he doesn't make progress, I'd rather have Gruden than anything out there right now.

Browns -- pay the man Cribbs but don't take it in the rear, he won't end up being worth it.

Cribbs -- and your agent -- show some class. Holmgren wasn't puppeteering Savage, Kokinas, etc for the past two years. Make a 10M counter to Holmgren if you are upset with his first offer (which no way was take it or leave it). Yeah, Lerner might have said something at some point a while ago, but that was wrong of him.

Draft!

Last edited by a moderator:
Drennan just had one of Cribbs' agents on the phone and oh boy, if what he said was true look out. Bruce couldn't believe it and the agent (Rickert) couldn't either.

Cribbs says farewell, "It's over" in Cleveland

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2010 5:41 PM ET

Browns wide receiver and return man Josh Cribbs says he's finished in Cleveland.

"I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,'' Cribbs told the Cleveland Plain Dealer today. "I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over for me in Cleveland.''

Cribbs, who previously said he doesn't think he fits in new front office boss Mike Holmgren's plans, said he expects Holmgren to trade him during the off-season.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

Cribbs said Holmgren made the right call in retaining Browns coach Eric Mangini, but he thinks Holmgren has insulted him by giving him a $1.4 million a year offer that suggests the Browns see him as strictly a special teams player, and not a threat on offense.

"I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner," Cribbs said. "I'm so much more than that. . . . I'm shocked they make me an offer like that after all I've done for this team."

In addition to being a Pro Bowl returner, Cribbs caught 20 passes for 135 yards and ran 55 times for 381 yards this season.

Incogneto said:
Hassie and a 4th for Cribbs and Quinn?
i wouldn't take that deal. i think Hasslebeck is done.
yep...what good is a 35-yr old injury prone QB coming off his worst season ever?
To a team that is rebuilding........ That makes no sense whatsoever. The Browns can sign a vet for much cheaper and not have to give Cribbs away. BTW, is there any concrete evidence floating around that Holmgren has actually spoken with Cribbs?

Holmgren - Heckert - Mangini

Heckert leaving Eagles to become Browns GM

Jan. 10, 2010

CLEVELAND -- Tom Heckert is leaving the Eagles' nest.

Philadelphia's general manager has agreed to become the Cleveland Browns' new GM, a person familiar with the hiring told the Associated Press on Sunday.

The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the details of Heckert's contract have not been finalized, said the 42-year-old could join the team as early as Monday. The Browns recently hired Mike Holmgren as their president and now have found a replacement for GM George Kokinis, fired by the club in November.

Cleveland's front office is being reorganized under Holmgren, who interviewed Heckert last week in between meetings with coach Eric Mangini. Holmgren announced Thursday he was bringing Mangini back for a second season.

Heckert has been with the Eagles since 2002, serving as the club's GM since 2006. He began in Philadelphia's pro personnel department and during his time with the club, the Eagles won four NFC East titles and went to one Super Bowl. Heckert was in the final year of his contract in Philadelphia.

It's not known how much final authority Heckert will have over Cleveland's roster, draft and free-agency moves. In Philadelphia, he had to defer those decisions to coach Andy Reid. Heckert was considered for Cleveland's GM job last winter, but he withdrew his name after Mangini was hired.

Heckert has ties to the Browns. His father, Tom Sr., worked as a scout for the team in the 1980s.

Holmgren also interviewed Will Lewis, Seattle's director of pro personnel, for the GM opening. Lewis worked with Holmgren in Green Bay and Seattle. Lewis was a minority candidate, so his interview fulfilled the Browns' obligation to comply with the NFL's Rooney Rule.

It's possible Lewis could wind up in Cleveland. The Seahawks are undergoing a massive overhaul following coach Jim Mora's firing on Friday and are in negotiations with Southern California coach Pete Carroll.
Mangini's leash is about this long -First few weeks of the schedule will be very interesting...

*Heckert official

*Wiedmeier in as Exec VP of Bus Ops

*Heckert controls draft and 53-man

*Mangini NOT on short leash

*Mangini's staff** IS STILL being reviewed (**insert Daboll here)

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._to_announ.html

Browns boss Mike Holmgren says new GM Tom Heckert will have final say on roster, while coach Eric Mangini isn't on 'one-year trial'

By Tony Grossi

January 12, 2010, 2:08AM

UPDATED: 8:27 p.m.

BEREA, Ohio -- In the new Browns organization, coach Eric Mangini has less authority on selecting players, but he will maintain control over his coaching staff and not be on a one-year trial, President Mike Holmgren said Monday.

The comments came after Holmgren introduced Tom Heckert, formerly of Philadelphia, as general manager, and Bryan Wiedmeier as executive vice president of business operations. Wiedmeier had been with the Miami Dolphins for 29 years, including three as team president.

Heckert will have authority over the draft and the makeup of the 53-man roster, Holmgren said.

Former General Manager George Kokinis had similar language in his contract, but was fired on Nov. 2. Kokinis claims in a $4 million arbitration against the club that he was fraudulently hired by being promised responsibilities the Browns had no intention of keeping.

But in his first spoken comments since announcing Mangini would return as coach, Holmgren expressed sympathy for Mangini having to do too much in his first season.

"I think he was thrust in a position where he had to accept a lot more responsibility than was fair ... through no fault of his own," Holmgren said.

Holmgren said Heckert and Wiedmeier will be among "three or four" positions that will report directly to him "and then have a lot of responsibility throughout the organization."

Holmgren would not say if Mangini reports under Heckert in his organization chart. Mangini reported directly to owner Randy Lerner last season.

We're looking at it as a partnership," Holmgren said. "I'm there to break the ties. If we do this right, while we might disagree, at the end of the day when we pick a player or make a decision on a cut, it's for the Cleveland Browns. We will all do it as a group together."

The Browns were 5-11 after winning their last four games in Mangini's first season. His contract has three more years remaining, but the announcement on Thursday that Mangini would be retained specifically stated "in 2010."

Holmgren said that the wording was not intended to put Mangini on a short leash. He said if he felt that way he would been better off "clearing the decks and starting over again."

"He's not on a one-year trial," Holmgren said. "I will say this: My expectations for the football team are at a certain level. They know that. This business can be harsh at times. So I expect us to improve, as do they. Please don't infer I was saying this is a one-year shot. Everyone's accountable for the job they do, and we'll see what happens."

Holmgren said Mangini is reviewing his coaching staff and would not rule out "a couple changes down the road, but not yet."

Holmgren said in his meetings with Mangini he was impressed with the coach's candidness, his ability to listen and his resolve to be a "team player."

"Getting to know Eric allowed me to at least feel as though we have the guy in place already," Holmgren said.

"As we continued to talk, two or three things were important. Initially being a coach myself, I think having a coach in place for one year and telling him he no longer has a job is basically unfair. That's one thing. Two, the team got better as the season went along. It was rough in the beginning, kind of tough in the middle but they finished strong. That says something about how he kept the guys together and his coaches continued to work. So that was a plus.

"Three, I liked him. I think he was very candid, honest. He also listened. Lastly, he's a defensive coach and in this particular division you need to play really good defense when the weather gets bad. He showed a willingness to work as a team player."

Holmgren said he hopes he can mentor Mangini and with less weight on Mangini's shoulders, "I thought I had the right guy."

Heckert will have more authority with the Browns than he did with the Eagles. In Philadelphia, coach Andy Reid made the final call and Howie Roseman gradually gained influence. Roseman was named Eagles GM on Monday.

"Andy thought the world of Tom," Holmgren said. "I think they worked hand in hand, but clearly Tom set up the [draft] board, ran the personnel side of that. As you approach the draft you funnel down those meetings from assistant coaches, scout and everybody down to the decision-makers and I think that's what happened in Philadelphia and that's what will happen here. Tom had a lot to do with the success they had in Philadelphia."

Holmgren praised Heckert's experience, success, work ethic and his personality as "a great team player."

Heckert had various roles in the Eagles' personnel department starting in 2001. He was the team's GM since 2006.

Heckert, who will be introduced with Wiedmeier in Berea on Tuesday, said in a statement, "Working alongside some of the most experienced and successful people in this business in Mike, Eric Mangini and Bryan, I believe we have the foundation in place to re-establish the Browns as one of the top franchises in the NFL."

Heckert, whose father was a Browns scout, started his NFL career with the Miami Dolphins as a pro and college scout. He was with them for 10 years and was director of pro personnel at the end.

Holmgren said Heckert will determine the makeup of the scouting staff and would review other positions, such as pro personnel director and college scouting director.

I see a lot of place predicting the Browns to take Joe Haden or Rolando McClain in round 1. Obviously it depends how the picks before them go, but I think both of those players immediately help the Browns.

I see a lot of place predicting the Browns to take Joe Haden or Rolando McClain in round 1. Obviously it depends how the picks before them go, but I think both of those players immediately help the Browns.
A great front 7 can mask an average secondary.Haden's great, but so is McClain, this team needs McClain more.

Didn't bother looking at the 5 years before this but I'm sure they'll look similar.

Year - League rank of rushing yds against (rushing TDs allowed - league rank)2009 - 28th (15 TDs - 19th)2008 - 28th (16 TDs - 21st)2007 - 27th (8 TDs - 6th)2006 - 29th (14 TDs - 17th)2005 - 30th (11 TDs - 11th)
I'm sick of our run D sucking. This should be first on the list.

Good to see an organizational structure in place now. At least #### is getting cleaned up around here. It's good to have a someone like Holmgren as the voice of the organization. At least we know someone will show up and say something when all the weird stuff goes down in 2010 that typically happens to the Browns.

wadegarrett said:
Didn't bother looking at the 5 years before this but I'm sure they'll look similar.

Year - League rank of rushing yds against (rushing TDs allowed - league rank)2009 - 28th (15 TDs - 19th)2008 - 28th (16 TDs - 21st)2007 - 27th (8 TDs - 6th)2006 - 29th (14 TDs - 17th)2005 - 30th (11 TDs - 11th)
I heard some rumors that they might consider switching from a 3-4 base defense to a 4-3. Has anybody else heard that?

wadegarrett said:

I heard some rumors that they might consider switching from a 3-4 base defense to a 4-3. Has anybody else heard that?
Haven't heard, but anything is possible. Btw, Leon Williams was signed by the Cowboys.

Got a little run on The Audible, gettin a little run locally (Reghi, etc), Reid has said something along the lines of "McNabb is our QB and Kolb IS ready"....

What do you guys think about Kolb?

Very interesting if you ask me...but I think I agree with The Audible in that his price tag is going to be a 1st rounder making it too risky. Depends on how strong Heckert's feelings are I suppose.

i wouldn't be suprised at switching to the 43. seems like the linemen might fit that system better? especially with Corey Williams' contract.

Anyone think there's a possibility Ratliff gets a shot? Mangini brought him over from the Jets and I remember a few people saying grab him in dynasty (before he was traded). Seems like QB is wide open right now.

Anyone think there's a possibility Ratliff gets a shot? Mangini brought him over from the Jets and I remember a few people saying grab him in dynasty (before he was traded). Seems like QB is wide open right now.
I agree it seems open, but I think if there was anything to this he would have started the last two games, not DA. Could be off base with that though.

Got a little run on The Audible, gettin a little run locally (Reghi, etc), Reid has said something along the lines of "McNabb is our QB and Kolb IS ready"....What do you guys think about Kolb?Very interesting if you ask me...but I think I agree with The Audible in that his price tag is going to be a 1st rounder making it too risky. Depends on how strong Heckert's feelings are I suppose.
Kolb looked good filling for McNabb for sure. Don't think I'd give our 1st for him though. Future 1st maybe??

If we trade for Kolb and you turn on the news that night and learn of someone jumping off the 480 bridge...well...I probably won't be posting here anymore.

If we trade for Kolb and you turn on the news that night and learn of someone jumping off the 480 bridge...well...I probably won't be posting here anymore.
Really? Kolb isn't that bad. I'd spend a 3rd or 4th on him. Anything higher than that, probably not.Don't think he's the QB of the future, but he's better than what we've got right now.What we really need is to determine what kind of system we want to run over here and get the appropriate experienced QB (to either take over or mentor the new QB of the future). Lucky us though that we have Holmgren, who is pretty good at dealing with QBs.

Really? Kolb isn't that bad. I'd spend a 3rd or 4th on him. Anything higher than that, probably not.Don't think he's the QB of the future, but he's better than what we've got right now.What we really need is to determine what kind of system we want to run over here and get the appropriate experienced QB (to either take over or mentor the new QB of the future). Lucky us though that we have Holmgren, who is pretty good at dealing with QBs.
The Eagles spent the 36th pick in the draft on him, and he's produced well in limited opportunities. If we get him we won't be paying a 3rd or a 4th, and we'd be trading for him to make him our QB for the future.

What about Jason Campbell? I think he's actually looked decent considering the line he's had to play behind. Would you rather have Kolb or Campbell?

I was skeptical about picking up any good offseason Free Agents, but with Holmgren and Heckert, I think we could land a couple of good ones.

I actually think the team is only about 5 players away from being pretty good.

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

5. RT who can pass and run block

Any thoughts?

What about Jason Campbell? I think he's actually looked decent considering the line he's had to play behind. Would you rather have Kolb or Campbell?

I was skeptical about picking up any good offseason Free Agents, but with Holmgren and Heckert, I think we could land a couple of good ones.

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

Any thoughts?
LB or 2

C, none of the above. Campbell has a few flaws that I don't think can be corrected, fumblitis, struggling to read defenses (one of the reasons for fumblitis), and leadership. I'd rather sign a Pennington type after Miami releases him.

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

Any thoughts?
I think 1, 2, 4, and 5 are right but not in the right order, I think 3 depends on the scheme. We need a play maker in the front 7, with Mangini returning I think we're staying in the 3-4 and assuming that's the case a DE is not a need, but a play making LB is, and that's why I have continually said Rolando McClain should be our 1st rounder. Fast, big, smart, not a weakness in his game, he's everything a DC would want in a LB. Pair him with Demaryius Thomas in round 2 or Danario Alexander in round 3 and we're well on our way to a solid draft. The secondary needs upgrading, but not as badly as the front 7 and WR and those guys are going to be players. Just glue those pieces together, and RT, and hope things go well enough this year that those are our only priorities going into 2011.

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

Any thoughts?
LB or 2
:rolleyes:

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

Any thoughts?
LB or 2
Yeah, LB or 2 would be good, especially if we stay in the 3-4. For some reason, in my head I keep thinking we'll switch to the 4-3 for some reason, and that's why I said DE.

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

Any thoughts?
LB or 2
Yeah, LB or 2 would be good, especially if we stay in the 3-4. For some reason, in my head I keep thinking we'll switch to the 4-3 for some reason, and that's why I said DE.
Even in a 4-3, they still need another LB to pair with D'Qwell/Wimbley.

1. playmaking safety

2. shut down corner

3. solid DE

4. legitimate #1 WR

Any thoughts?
LB or 2
Even in a 4-3, they still need another LB to pair with D'Qwell/Wimbley.
Is Roth more of an end than LB? He's listed at 6'4" 275. Which of these guys do you think make the team next year?50 Barton, Eric

58 Benard, Marcus

96 Bowens, David

59 Brown, Titus

54 Costanzo, Blake

51 Hall, Alex LB

52 Jackson, D'Qwell

56 Maiava, Kaluka LB

53 Roth, Matt LB

93 Trusnik, Jason

57 Veikune, David LB

95 Wimbley, Kamerion

From Rotoworld today...

Browns president Mike Holmgren made it known Wednesday that he is a big fan of late-season hero Jerome Harrison.

"I love him as a player," Holmgren said of Harrison. "I thought what he did at the end of the season was remarkable." Harrison is headed toward restricted free agency, but he's a near lock to dominate the 2010 backfield after becoming the first Browns back since 2004 to rush for 100 yards in three straight games.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Related: James Davis

ChuckLiddell said:
From Rotoworld today...Browns president Mike Holmgren made it known Wednesday that he is a big fan of late-season hero Jerome Harrison."I love him as a player," Holmgren said of Harrison. "I thought what he did at the end of the season was remarkable." Harrison is headed toward restricted free agency, but he's a near lock to dominate the 2010 backfield after becoming the first Browns back since 2004 to rush for 100 yards in three straight games.Source: Akron Beacon-Journal Related: James Davis
I bet he also saw alot of him in college too being in Seattle.

I wanted Mangini fired earlier in the year. Just looking at the personnel on this franchise told me he was mismanaging his roster. The receiving corps is getting dismantled. The QBs are still questionable. But the OL might be pretty good at the run. The answer seemed obvious. Run the football. I even felt they should have drafted another RB to make sure they had fresh legs. Hated seeing them take 2 WRs in the second round.

Its almost like Mangini was too stupid to figure it out on his own. It took the bad weather game vs the Steelers to FORCE him to run the football down the other team's throat. Then its like a light went on in his head. OH. Yes, Eric! Here is your roster. Here is what they are built for! Amazing!!!

So starting with the Steeler game we get

12/10 vs Steelers -- 19 passes vs 36 rushes - WIN

12/20 @ Chiefs -- 18 passes vs 45 rushes - WIN

12/27 vs Raiders -- 18 passes vs 46 rushes - WIN

01/03 vs Jaguars -- 11 passes vs 49 rushes - WIN

Look at the rest of the season:

Game 1: Vikings -- 34 passes vs 20 rushes - LOSS

Game 2: Broncos -- 31 passes vs 21 rushes - LOSS

Game 3: Ravens -- 27 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSS

Game 4: Bengals -- 48 passes vs 33 rushes -- LOSS

Game 5: Bills -- 17 passes vs 41 rushes -- WIN

Game 6: Steelers -- 26 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSS

ok I'm bored.

I suppose I might actually keep him for another season. I mean, he DID figure it out. Just took him 13 games. Now that he understands the STRENGTH of the Cleveland Browns is the OFFENSIVE LINE and not the quarterback's arm, maybe we can make a big turnaround next year.

Users who are viewing this thread