What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (9 Viewers)

Hoyer is only under contract for this season, then he is a free agent

still, i think this could end his shot at being a starting nfl qb

by 2015 when he is a free agent his 2.5 good games in 2013 won't mean much, i don;t know that sitting behind manziel makes him improve much.

tough break for him, i think he'll forever look back at that knee injury and ask "what if"

Big picture.
What is your ####### big picture??? Teddy at 4???? Lol
would it make more sense to you if I drew a picture
Yes, cause you aren't making any sense.
If the franchise qb picked at 22 is a failure he would also be a failure at 4. As would the whole regime.

You not getting that is hilarious.

And sad.

If you don't like it stop ##### footing around and root for losses.

The leaders of the team you root for are failures in your kind. You rooting for them defines insanity.
Your logic makes no sense, I guess what you are saying makes sense to you.

What don't you get about we got Manziel and we got a better player at eventually 8 than we would have been able to get at 22 if we had taken Manziel at 4?

Are you telling me Gilbert would have been there at 22? I seriously doubt it.

And no one ever misses on taking a QB high in the draft.

Ponder, Locker, Gabbert oh look ponder is not good but Minnesota still made the playoffs with him.

Yeah no team can be good with a mediocre QB, which by the way has not been proved about Manziel yet.

Oh wait look at who some teams have won the Superbowl with at QB.

What you are saying doesn't make sense and I'm not the only one telling you that.

Though I wasn't behind him, at this point I hope Johnny excels. Go Browns!

Round 2, I want that guard from UCLA.

Or a tackle and move Shwartz to G. Either way I am cool with it.
Kujo is still available and we have the 35th pick so only two picks ahead of us and Houston will 'likely' go QB with the 33rd pick.

Also tons of WRs, top TEs, a few smaller but good safeties, and the top OGs are their for the picking too.

I wonder who/what position we were after trying to trade back into the bottom of the 1st round but I'm glad we didn't do that because their are tons of options sitting at the top of the 2nd for us and we 'may' get the guy we would have traded-up to get.

This isn't a Tebow situation.
And if it is, at least that means a playoff win. There are juniors in college that haven't lived through a Browns playoff victory.

Wake up to see the Johnny news on TV. ####. ####. Son of a #####. Hope I'm wrong, but I see us remaining mired in mediocrity another couple of years now.
With the new salary structure, you can go high on QB two years in a row if you're unhappy with the first one after a season. It's obviously not ideal and probably unlikely, but with the Browns extra picks in both drafts they could do it without too much pain if they thought it necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Or a tackle and move Shwartz to G. Either way I am cool with it.
Kujo is still available and we have the 35th pick so only two picks ahead of us and Houston will 'likely' go QB with the 33rd pick.

Also tons of WRs, top TEs, a few smaller but good safeties, and the top OGs are their for the picking too.

I wonder who/what position we were after trying to trade back into the bottom of the 1st round but I'm glad we didn't do that because their are tons of options sitting at the top of the 2nd for us and we 'may' get the guy we would have traded-up to get.
Yup. He's the guy I am hoping for. I don't think Houston would take him but not sure about the Skins.

I waited 20 years waiting for the Seahawks to win a playoff game. I feel your pain Browns fans. Keep the faith. Your time will come and it will be glorious.
Still rooting for you guys. Hope that this draft vaults your team to some success in the coming years. The NFL is a better league when its long suffering fans have something to cheer about.

Best players left list, er for the Browns 2nd round pick:

Marqise Lee Wide receiver USC

Xavier Su’a-Filo Guard UCLA

Cyrus Kouandjio Offensive tackle Alabama Jace Amaro Tight end Texas Tech Chris Borland Linebacker Wisconsin Jordan Matthews Wide receiver Vanderbilt Austin Seferian-Jenkins Tight end Washington Trent Murphy Edge rusher Stanford Demarcus Lawrence Edge rusher Boise State Davante Adams Wide receiver Fresno State Allen Robinson Wide receiver Penn State Cody Latimer Wide receiver Indiana Joel Bitonio Offensive tackle Nevada Timmy Jernigan Defensive tackle Florida State Tons of options and only two picks ahead of us so I'm really glad we didn't trade-up back into the bottom of the 1st because we didn't blow any picks.

We had 10 picks going into this draft we only have 6 left.

We may not take six players, we can still packe some to manuver in the lower rounds but we don't have to blow any of them to get a guy we want at the top of the 2nd round. Tons of options to the point we 'may' even consider trading-down a lil-bit and pick up something extra and still come away with a solid player.

We came into this draft with extra picks in the, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.

Next year we've already gotten extra picks in the, 1st and 4th rounds so if we moved down here in the 2nd and picked up an extra 3rd next year we'd be assured of getting a solid player in this draft and hold the exact same strength heading into next year's draft but more than likely the extra 1st round pick we got from Buffalo won't be a mid/late pick in the 20s. Probably in the mid to late teens and next year's draft is also expected to have a lot of underclassmen entering it.

May not be as strong at the top as this one but we should get a solid player with that extra 1st round pick.

----------------------------------------

Frank Schwab‏@YahooSchwab47 mins

@mEAz6 Next year's draft will be good too - Browns are gonna get a very good player with that pick.

Frank Schwab‏@YahooSchwab45 mins

@BuffaloGypsy even if it's a pick in the 20s, and that's best case, 20-something and 9 is a hefty price

Frank Schwab‏@YahooSchwab44 mins

@mEAz6 Not sure the pick will be low enough to justify. Unless it's in the 30s in which case, congrats

Frank Schwab‏@YahooSchwab19 mins

@BuffaloGypsy and that's the mistake. They aren't one player away.

As an NFL fan, the two great things about the Manziel selection:

1) A long suffering fanbase has a compelling figure and a true gameday warrior that the whole fanbase can get behind if (once?) he earns the starting gig, knowing that the eyes of the nation are upon them for the first time since The Fumble.

2) If things go badly, and Johnny Football turns back into a petulant prima donna who starts badmouthing the franchise and the city, he'll have to answer to angry fat men in rubber dog masks.

I don't see how the fans can lose, here.

I think we had extra picks in rounds 1, 3 and 4 (no extra in 2nd). The only guy I would have wanted to move back into round 1 for was CJ Mosely.

If we can come out of round 4 with a guard (or tackle), MLB, WR and RB this should be considered a big win of a draft, especially when you add in the extra picks in 2015.

Best players left list, er for the Browns 2nd round pick:

Marqise Lee Wide receiverUSC

Xavier Su’a-Filo GuardUCLA

Cyrus Kouandjio Offensive tackle AlabamaJace Amaro Tight end Texas TechChris Borland Linebacker WisconsinJordan Matthews Wide receiver VanderbiltAustin Seferian-Jenkins Tight end WashingtonTrent Murphy Edge rusher StanfordDemarcus Lawrence Edge rusher Boise StateDavante Adams Wide receiver Fresno StateAllen Robinson Wide receiver Penn StateCody Latimer Wide receiver IndianaJoel Bitonio Offensive tackle NevadaTimmy Jernigan Defensive tackle Florida StateTons of options and only two picks ahead of us so I'm really glad we didn't trade-up back into the bottom of the 1st because we didn't blow any picks.

We had 10 picks going into this draft we only have 6 left.

We may not take six players, we can still packe some to manuver in the lower rounds but we don't have to blow any of them to get a guy we want at the top of the 2nd round. Tons of options to the point we 'may' even consider trading-down a lil-bit and pick up something extra and still come away with a solid player.

We came into this draft with extra picks in the, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.

Next year we've already gotten extra picks in the, 1st and 4th rounds so if we moved down here in the 2nd and picked up an extra 3rd next year we'd be assured of getting a solid player in this draft and hold the exact same strength heading into next year's draft but more than likely the extra 1st round pick we got from Buffalo won't be a mid/late pick in the 20s. Probably in the mid to late teens and next year's draft is also expected to have a lot of underclassmen entering it.

May not be as strong at the top as this one but we should get a solid player with that extra 1st round pick.

----------------------------------------

@mEAz6 Next year's draft will be good too - Browns are gonna get a very good player with that pick.

@BuffaloGypsy even if it's a pick in the 20s, and that's best case, 20-something and 9 is a hefty price

@mEAz6 Not sure the pick will be low enough to justify. Unless it's in the 30s in which case, congrats

Another $.02 regarding Manziel...

I can't see the "backyard football" style going anywhere in the NFL. His popularity is driven by the excitement of that style. I think people are dazzled by exciting players and overvalue them. The good thing about that is we now own Buffalo's 2015 #1 because they wanted the exciting player!

His desire to excel and gym-rat attitude are great. They give me hope. They say he's very smart, too. That's a requirement.

I hope he doesn't get planted like Colt did. Really. I hope I'm dead wrong and he becomes an upper-echelon QB, but that's a long road for any rookie.

1) A long suffering fanbase has a compelling figure and a true gameday warrior that the whole fanbase can get behind if (once?) he earns the starting gig, knowing that the eyes of the nation are upon them for the first time since The Fumble.

2) If things go badly, and Johnny Football turns back into a petulant prima donna who starts badmouthing the franchise and the city, he'll have to answer to angry fat men in rubber dog masks.

For the price they paid - the 26 and 83 - there's very little risk taking Manziel.

For the price they paid - the 26 and 83 - there's very little risk taking Manziel.
The risk is they took the wrong QB, see Bridgewater and Carr.

Great trade for the Browns, but Watkins is who he appears to be then it's worth it for the Bills. They aren't one player away but if they want Manuel to develop they had to get him a #1 WR.

Trade works out to be Watkins for Gilbert and the Bills 1st.

Trade works out to be Watkins for Gilbert and the Bills 1st.
Seeing I had Watkins and Gilbert almost rated the same, slightly higher on Watkins. This seems like a steal for Clev to me.

Another $.02 regarding Manziel...

I can't see the "backyard football" style going anywhere in the NFL. His popularity is driven by the excitement of that style. I think people are dazzled by exciting players and overvalue them. The good thing about that is we now own Buffalo's 2015 #1 because they wanted the exciting player!

His desire to excel and gym-rat attitude are great. They give me hope. They say he's very smart, too. That's a requirement.

I hope he doesn't get planted like Colt did. Really. I hope I'm dead wrong and he becomes an upper-echelon QB, but that's a long road for any rookie.
i'm with you, super Dave.

CLE's next pick is gonna be a doozie!!!

Do NOT trade down, just roll with any of so many value picks.

Would be happy w a chunk of WRs

I mentioned months back that my source said the Browns were super high on Kouandjio, prior to the injury concerns (think he may be the pick)

also love Borland, the guy is going to be a top 10 value in this draft.

ooooooooooooooo #### ME IM SO ####### HAPPY FOR ONCE.

CLE's next pick is gonna be a doozie!!!

Do NOT trade down, just roll with any of so many value picks.

Would be happy w a chunk of WRs

I mentioned months back that my source said the Browns were super high on Kouandjio, prior to the injury concerns (think he may be the pick)

also love Borland, the guy is going to be a top 10 value in this draft.

ooooooooooooooo #### ME IM SO ####### HAPPY FOR ONCE.
Like any of the following at #35...

Xavier Su’a-Filo Guard UCLA

Cyrus Kouandjio Offensive tackle Alabama

Allen Robinson Wide receiver Penn State

Cody Latimer Wide receiver Indiana

shocked s'ua filo is there...

Feel like he PROBABLY wont get to us... but if he does, Im all for snapping his ### up.

Im worried about Kojo, but the value is killer there.

WR wise, Robinson would be my pick... But a few others like Lattimer and Moncrief have me thinking.

No trade at 11 just feeling.
Response to me asking who we were moving up for (I think it had to be Manziel)

Unless Im reading this wrong, sounds like they were just gauging if anyone else was attempting to move up for JF, including DAL.

First txt response from him in almost a month lol.

I think we had extra picks in rounds 1, 3 and 4 (no extra in 2nd). The only guy I would have wanted to move back into round 1 for was CJ Mosely.

If we can come out of round 4 with a guard (or tackle), MLB, WR and RB this should be considered a big win of a draft, especially when you add in the extra picks in 2015.
Yeah, my mind was thinking 2nd round when I posted and I saw the mistake but was too tired to go back and correct.

Was up late checking out videos and interviews of the picks and reactions missed my early morning workout and haven't really woken up yet. :coffee:

------

My thoughts on the first round and specifically how Ray Farmer is doing/handling things.

If we would have gone Manziel with the 4th pick it would have been a burn the house down disaster because that would have been a Haslam pick all the way and we'd all know it.

If we would have went Justin Gilbert at pick #4 it would have been a Pettine pick all the way and it would have been a mini-Mangini we've-got-a-problem-of-fhe-HC-having-too-much-power/influene-disaster.

If we would have gone Watkins it would have been fine but Farmer would probably have irked Jimmy and Mike a lil-bit so that leaves us with what went down.

When we traded-down my heart dropped to the floor and I thought 'dear God no Johnny at #9". Then that small-trade up to #8 and I honestly did not like that and still don't like that. Shades of Heckett trading up one-spot with Minny for T-Rich and giving away late picks. Not smart, weak play IMHO.

Pick of Gilbert wasn't one I was expecting and honestly didn't feel was worth it pre-draft but pouring over those late night videos and interviews, Pettine REALLY WANTED Gilbert to fit his 'system' and that is they key. A defender to fit 'his system' so I'm down wid it now and it didn't take too much convincing.

The move-up for Johnny irked me but reports came out that Minnesota was after the pick so althgouh I really hated hate trade-up on top of the other needless trade-up I understand why we had to pay a premium so reluctantly I'm down with that and I've been fine with Johnny or Teddy at #26 all along but not crazy about giving up that 3rd round pick because that will be a darn good player but we had to so I'm 'getting there' on that move but am and always wa fine with Johnny later in the draft.

So I am 'ok' with the first round but love how Ray handled it.

He's walked a fine line between sucking up to Haslam or Pettine but establishing his own identity.

Oh I was not fine with rumors of us moving back-up into the bottom of the first round. No way was I fine with that because look at where we're sitting right now. Look at all of the options available to us. I didn't see a need to make another move-up and lose more picks. We sit tight the next two days and we'll come away with really good players.

Now the rest of this draft I think will show more of Ray Farmer and I'm currious as to what he'll do.

So far, so good as far as I'm concerned. :thumbup:

Browns have sold around 1400 season tix since last night....

and people wonder why all the draft coverage centered around johnny

that's why, he is what the fans want, either to love or to hate

BTW, still deciding who gets more credit here, haslam, farmer, or the homeless dude

haslam for "staying out of it"

farmer for being as smart as hell

and the homeless guy for making a feel good story, that only an idiot would believe

haslam for "staying out of it"

farmer for being as smart as hell

and the homeless guy for making a feel good story, that only an idiot would believe
if you hear haslam tell it, sounds more like him and the homeless guy, with farmer being just a card passer ;)

With all the WRs still out there, likely someone nice can slide to the 3rd (or we move our way back into the 2nd), and we can shore up something else here at 2.03. Xavier seems like a great pick.

I know you guys probably hate the source, but I heard Phil Savage say something interesting on Baltimore radio this morning - said he's a big Manziel fan, but not in the AFC North. He thinks the rigor of the defenses you face and the weather conditions with high wind require a big giant QB to succeed.

Maybe the reason I found that interesting is that I've had similar thoughts watching Andy Dalton play in the division. Seems like the kind of guy who would tear things up in a dome or on the West Coast, but sometimes gets exposed by the conditions and opponents in the AFC North.

Going to be a real interesting year in the division - don't know if Cleveland contends, but they're going to be tough, especially at home.

people still living in the past when it comes to AFC North.

Not even close to the toughest defensive division anymore.

Will manziel succeed? No clue. But it wont depend on the "eliteness" of the defenses in this division. If I could be so bold, I think our defense might ed up being the best of the bunch by draft's end.

I know you guys probably hate the source, but I heard Phil Savage say something interesting on Baltimore radio this morning - said he's a big Manziel fan, but not in the AFC North. He thinks the rigor of the defenses you face and the weather conditions with high wind require a big giant QB to succeed.

Maybe the reason I found that interesting is that I've had similar thoughts watching Andy Dalton play in the division. Seems like the kind of guy who would tear things up in a dome or on the West Coast, but sometimes gets exposed by the conditions and opponents in the AFC North.

Going to be a real interesting year in the division - don't know if Cleveland contends, but they're going to be tough, especially at home.
Savage might be right.

Then agian, he might not be. I dunno honestly. I willing to wait and see, we'll find out soon enough.

I love the pick of C.J. Mosely for your Ravens BTW.

I know Arthur Brown struggled last year and that Daryl Smith looked pretty good so I have to think Smith and Mosely are the starters and A-Brown is the odd man out.

Also what do you think of Pittsburgh taking Shazier?

I love his athleticism but wasn't sure of the fit. The Steeler fans seem to like it but they are getting savaged by some. I think they liked the Mosely pick for you guys though.

What is your take on your pick, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti?

My DREAM rnd 2 would be to get s'ua filo and then moving up to get Borland.

we have a plethora of picks, use them to land monster difference makers.

Gilbert

Manziel

s'ua Filo

borland

jesus almighty, Id be happier than a pig in ####.. and you KNOW how WRcentric I am.

I think all 3 AFC North teams made the kind of good, sensible pick that has led to so much success over the last decade or so.

The Ravens loved Mosely - said he was about their 10th ranked player overall. Maybe they would have been tempted to take the Notre Dame OL Zack Martin if he hadn't gone to Dallas right in front of them, but it's now clear they liked Mosely way way more than someone like Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. Safety is much more a position of need so some fans are frustrated with the pick, but to me it's vintage Ozzie. You objectively rank your board - then when the time comes, if one guy is available who you have ranked much higher than anyone else, you simply take that guy. I know they like Mosely as 3-down LB. Brown's role might be as nickel LB for another couple of years until Smith moves on.

Don't know much about Shazier. But he seems to inject some much needed speed into that aging unit. Guys like Farrior and Foote had gotten painfully old and slow for Pittsburgh in recent years.

I think the Dennard pick was very good for Cincy. Kind of reminded me of the Ravens - you just wait until your turn, and then you take whoever the best player is that's left on your board. Still kind of weird to use words like "smart" and "steady" with the Bengals, but there it is. I think their defense could be really, really good this year. Dre Kirkpatrick looked good at the end of last year - he and Dennard could give them a strong CB duo and let Marvin get very creative with the rest of the D.

Im ####inf happy

We waited and stikl got gim like i knew we wohld

WR w our 2nd rounder and ill be over the moon
Who can argue with this?
Not me, but I'm 50/50 on JM's ability to translate to the NFL. And I'm more concerned about lower body injuries w/ his style of play. Gotta get him to slide a lot.

And I'm very impressed soulfly was able to spell the cuss word above correctly to get it ###'d out.

The risk is they took the wrong QB, see Bridgewater and Carr.
Still minimal risk. I've seen very few opinions suggesting that any of these guys would be top-of-the-drafters in a good QB draft. With the CBA being what it is now, Manziel at 22 costs peanuts, and if he totally bombs and the Browns collapse, they re-up next year with one of their two (or more) first round picks, when maybe Winston, or Mariota, or Petty, or God knows who else becomes the way forward, :shrug:

really if Manziel flames out, he should do it relatively quickly.

so instead of 2-3 years, it should only cost them a few games.

yes, i'm starting the rationalization process.

Remember this from a while back and saw somebody re-tweet it today...

Best Fit: Shanahan's system is tailor-made for Johnny Manziel

By BRENT SOBLESKI

USA Today

April 13, 2014

Location and situation are vital components to any player’s success. The right system, coach and opportunity can dictate a player’s career as much as his natural athletic ability and talent.

It’s why the situation in which a quarterback in placed is vitally important. And that’s even more applicable for May’s draft class.

As it’s often been said, there isn’t an Andrew Luck-level prospect in this year’s class. Translation: There isn’t a non-system specific quarterback available. These types of prospects are considered legitimate franchise talents.

With each of the top prospects available in May, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. How a team builds around these talents will be very important in their maturation as professional quarterbacks. Some teams are better fits for these quarterbacks than others.

We’ll look at each of the top quarterbacks prospects and their ideal landing spot starting with “Johnny Football.”

BEST FIT: Cleveland Browns

The Browns didn’t attend Manziel’s pro day. Yet, few teams offer Manziel exactly what he needs in an offense.

Manziel’s biggest weakness as a prospect is inconsistency as a pocket passer. Manziel isn’t advanced in his ability to read defenses, the footwork involved or his progressions through the team’s patterns. Where the Browns can compensate is by running the football and not relying predominantly on Manziel to win games as a passer.

Over the past two seasons as the Washington Redskins offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan orchestrated a pair of Top 5 rushing offenses. The ability to run the football successfully can take the pressure off of any young signal caller.

Manziel’s primary strength is his ability to improvise. He is an athletic quarterback that is at his best when on the move. Shanahan’s sytem utilizes plenty of bootleg action and moves the pocket for its quarterbacks, which will allow Manziel to take advantage of his natural tendencies to break the pocket and make plays.

Finally, Shanahan already proved he can develop a system that caters to a unique talent behind center. When the Redskins drafted Robert Griffin III, Shanahan implemented aspects of Baylor’s offense into his. It gave Griffin a comfort level within the offense without having to completely digest and conform to a complete NFL system.

It should also be noted that the offense Texas A&M ran with Manziel has similar roots to the one RG3 ran at Baylor.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/04/13/nfl-draft-best-fit-johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns/

Browns now have the most exciting QB in the NFL (hope he plays up to snuff)

and the most exciting young WR in the league.

NFL fudged it when they gave the Browns only ONE "primetime" slot.

Users who are viewing this thread