What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

Said it at the time to my brother - kick the field goal, don't punt. Oh well. they were supposed to lose it
Fact is they put themselves in terrible position twice on opportunities where you must cash in. Once after the Dansby INT in the 1st H (simply inexcusable to go 3 and out backwards), and then at the end of the game where they punted.

What's the read on the running back position? Rhyme or reason to Tate not getting most of the carries?
Tate got hurt, not sure how bad it is yet.

Then TE Jordan Cameron got injured too so they had to scramble in trying to get some sort of offense going and that seemed to make the Steelers defense confused since Hoyer had no choice other than to spread it around and Brian was shuffling it around all over the place. Shanahan had to use both West and Crowell and that also seemed to catch Pittsburgh off guard.

Doubtful if Tate was healthy that Crowell would have gotten those goal line scores or if T-West would have had those carries.

Now?

Who knows?

Don't know status of Tate's injury and now Shanny might use all three of them.

Also Pittsburgh's run defense looked bad and that is one of the reasons why all of the backs looked pretty good.

Tough to pick out one guy or one reason why the running game clicked so well in this game.

What's the read on the running back position? Rhyme or reason to Tate not getting most of the carries?
Tate got hurt, not sure how bad it is yet.

Then TE Jordan Cameron got injured too so they had to scramble in trying to get some sort of offense going and that seemed to make the Steelers defense confused since Hoyer had no choice other than to spread it around and Brian was shuffling it around all over the place. Shanahan had to use both West and Crowell and that also seemed to catch Pittsburgh off guard.

Doubtful if Tate was healthy that Crowell would have gotten those goal line scores or if T-West would have had those carries.

Now?

Who knows?

Don't know status of Tate's injury and now Shanny might use all three of them.

Also Pittsburgh's run defense looked bad and that is one of the reasons why all of the backs looked pretty good.

Tough to pick out one guy or one reason why the running game clicked so well in this game.
Thanks. Great looking depth, at any rate.

massraider said:
gotta agree re: the D (for the entire first half anyway). they did look much better in the 2nd, but wow, were they bad. sure it's tough when the O can't get a 1st down, but pettine's rep as a D "guru" was less than inspiring. Gilbert better get his head out of his ### or he's gonna continue to get lit up all season.

and glad to see "mr. glass" Tate who couldn't make it through one half of one game w/o getting dinged...

anyway, after puking in my mouth for the first 30 mins via the sunday ticket, it was nice to see them come back and make a game of it.

Said it at the time to my brother - kick the field goal, don't punt. Oh well. they were supposed to lose it
Nah, that's a go for it. If you know you're not going for it on 4th and 7 then call a short of the sticks route on 3rd and 7.
They did throw about a 5 yard pass which would have probably put them in FG range rather than go-for-it range.
Thought it was beyond the sticks, no? Tried to hit a tight window across the middle and there were no receiving options short.

massraider said:
gotta agree re: the D (for the entire first half anyway). they did look much better in the 2nd, but wow, were they bad. sure it's tough when the O can't get a 1st down, but pettine's rep as a D "guru" was less than inspiring. Gilbert better get his head out of his ### or he's gonna continue to get lit up all season.

and glad to see "mr. glass" Tate who couldn't make it through one half of one game w/o getting dinged...

anyway, after puking in my mouth for the first 30 mins via the sunday ticket, it was nice to see them come back and make a game of it.
Didn't Haden get lite up even worse than Gilbert? Brown seems to own that guy.

massraider said:

Live action reaction?

Haden was same ole same ole, doesn't get targeted much. When he does a perfect throw is needed, Brown's TD was a perfect throw. He doesn't make big plays unless they're gift wrapped though.

Gilbert was horrendous. Not sure exactly how many '####### Gilbert's' there were, but closer to 10 than 5.

massraider said:

Live action reaction? Haden was same ole same ole, doesn't get targeted much. When he does a perfect throw is needed, Brown's TD was a perfect throw. He doesn't make big plays unless they're gift wrapped though.

Gilbert was horrendous. Not sure exactly how many '####### Gilbert's' there were, but closer to 10 than 5.
Brown was the best performer of the game. He only had 6 targets but caught 5 of them for 116 and. TD. He seems to torch Haden nearly every time they play from what I recall as well.

massraider said:

Live action reaction? Haden was same ole same ole, doesn't get targeted much. When he does a perfect throw is needed, Brown's TD was a perfect throw. He doesn't make big plays unless they're gift wrapped though.

Brown was the best performer of the game. He only had 6 targets but caught 5 of them for 116 and. TD. He seems to torch Haden nearly every time they play from what I recall as well.
Just going based off live action memory, I think half of his targets were on screens. He has a history of beating Haden, but I don't think that was the case yesterday.

Mitchell Schwartz gets his fair share of abuse and then some for his pass-pro so here is a pretty interesting stat to ponder when considering how much he helps in the run game.

Keep in mind that the 'strength' of our L-Line is supposed to be on the left with OT Joe Thomas and hot-shot rookie OG Joel Bitonio on that side.

=================

Glenn Moore ‏@GlennMooreCLE 27m

Breakdown of rushing attempts for #Browns: Left - 6 attempts, 33 yards. Middle - 3 attempts, 13 yards. Right - 21 attempts, 137 yards.

==================

Add the guy who Antonio Brown burned early-on with the long game was LB Craig Robertson. Robertson got burned on another long pass over the middle. Not sure what sort of coverage packages we were in but it was C-Rob on at least two long passes to Antonio early-on.

After that fiasco, Kirksey saw action and Christian might have earned a starting job considering he looked fantastic.

A-Brown owns Haden though. Its embarrassing. Also Pettine stated he's not benching Gilbert but he is limiting his snaps for the time being. We should have suspected that from his horrible preseason and the fact the club kept 12 DBs. Two free agent rookies saw PT and they both looked 'ok' from the very limited action I saw them in.

I'm finding it a little discouraging that there are no injury updates for Cameron or Tate yet. Even in the presser Pettine alluded to using the "wait and see" approach. Either he's trying to be cute and make NO over analyze and over plan for all variables this weekend, or its bad news and he doesn't want to share it yet.

so, both first round picks are busts then?awesome.

How did Dennard, Roby and the other 1st round CBs do yesterday? I think one of them is on the Chargers, so that is incomplete at the moment. And no, I don't know the answer to my question. I think I remember Roby making a few tackles, so he played some.

Way too early for that talk, he just confirmed what I thought of him coming into the league. Will Pettine and O'Neil be able to develop him? That's the key, they're gambling on themselves doing that.

How did Dennard, Roby and the other 1st round CBs do yesterday? I think one of them is on the Chargers, so that is incomplete at the moment. And no, I don't know the answer to my question. I think I remember Roby making a few tackles, so he played some.
Don't know about Dennard (I wanted him late #1 instead of Gilbert early 1 though), but Roby was a terrible 1st round pick anyway.

I'm finding it a little discouraging that there are no injury updates for Cameron or Tate yet. Even in the presser Pettine alluded to using the "wait and see" approach. Either he's trying to be cute and make NO over analyze and over plan for all variables this weekend, or its bad news and he doesn't want to share it yet.
Can't give updates on a lot of injuries the day after they happen unless the initial MRI shows something. If there's swelling, in most cases, have to wait for that to go down before performing tests. Wednesday is usually a better day for updates.

I guess Hoyer was only under pressure on 8 throws according to PFF.

Someone took the raw stats posted by Glenn Moore and posted this story. Actually corrected a small error in Moore's rush stats.

This story shows that RT Mitchell Schwartz is the lynchpin of the running game.

Who would have thunk it?

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/09/09/right-side-is-where-the-run-is-for-the-browns/#.VA9DV3IguuY.twitter

What Is The Key To The Browns Run Game? Run RightBy DARYL RUITER, 92.3 The Fan Browns Beat ReporterSeptember 9, 2014 2:09 PM

The Browns ran 30 times for a total of 183 yards and 2 touchdowns in Sunday’s last second 30-27 loss to the Steelers. It was the most yardage on the ground for the team since Nov. 7, 2010, when they rolled up 230 against New England.

But it’s where those yards and carries came from that is interesting.

The right side of the offense line was dominating on the ground producing a total of 127 yards and 2 touchdowns on 21 carries while the Browns ran just 5 times for 35 yards behind the left side.

There were a total of 3 carries up the middle for 9 yards.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan wants to run the football and it appears that he has the horses to do it too – especially up front.

Right tackle Mitchel Schwartz, much maligned for his struggles in pass protection, produced a stellar game on the ground. The Browns ran behind him 10 times for 84 yards and a touchdown.

The Browns were able to average 8.4 yards per carry behind Schwartz, 2.3 more then their average per carry Sunday, including runs of 22, 15, and 16 yards.

With production like that from Schwartz up front, the Browns will gladly live with his deficiencies in pass protection, which they are confident he will improve on.

Despite falling behind 27-3 at half and going to a no-huddle offense in the second half to play catch-up, the Browns remained committed to the ground game. In fact they ran it more in the second half (19 times) than the first half (11).

As for the breakdown of where specifically the carries went, Cleveland ran right 6 times for 25 yards in the first half and 15 times for 102 yards and 2 touchdowns in the second.

The Browns ran left 4 times for 35 yards, including Travis Benjamin’s 10-yard run on a reverse, in the first and once for no gain in the second half.

Running up the middle produced 2 yards on 1 attempt in the first 30 minutes and 7 yards on 2 rushes in the second half.

The Browns success running the ball came despite losing starting running back Ben Tate in the first half due to a knee injury. Tate finished with 41 yards on 6 carries, including a 25 yard burst off left end.

His availability for this week’s game against the New Orleans Saints remains to be seen but should he be out, the Browns have a pair of backs in their stable more than capable of carrying the load.

A pair of rookies – Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell ran for a combined 132 yards on 21 carries against the Steelers.

It’s only 1 week but the early returns on the ground are strong.

As long as they run right.
I guess Schwartz's strength in the running game is why Pettine has steadily been in his corner every time he's been questioned about Mitchell.

Way too early for that talk, he just confirmed what I thought of him coming into the league. Will Pettine and O'Neil be able to develop him? That's the key, they're gambling on themselves doing that.
sorry i was joking. iirc, Haden had a rough beginning to his career too.

I guess Hoyer was only under pressure on 8 throws according to PFF.

Someone took the raw stats posted by Glenn Moore and posted this story. Actually corrected a small error in Moore's rush stats.

This story shows that RT Mitchell Schwartz is the lynchpin of the running game.

Who would have thunk it?

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/09/09/right-side-is-where-the-run-is-for-the-browns/#.VA9DV3IguuY.twitter

What Is The Key To The Browns Run Game? Run RightBy DARYL RUITER, 92.3 The Fan Browns Beat ReporterSeptember 9, 2014 2:09 PM

The Browns ran 30 times for a total of 183 yards and 2 touchdowns in Sunday’s last second 30-27 loss to the Steelers. It was the most yardage on the ground for the team since Nov. 7, 2010, when they rolled up 230 against New England.

But it’s where those yards and carries came from that is interesting.

The right side of the offense line was dominating on the ground producing a total of 127 yards and 2 touchdowns on 21 carries while the Browns ran just 5 times for 35 yards behind the left side.

There were a total of 3 carries up the middle for 9 yards.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan wants to run the football and it appears that he has the horses to do it too – especially up front.

Right tackle Mitchel Schwartz, much maligned for his struggles in pass protection, produced a stellar game on the ground. The Browns ran behind him 10 times for 84 yards and a touchdown.

The Browns were able to average 8.4 yards per carry behind Schwartz, 2.3 more then their average per carry Sunday, including runs of 22, 15, and 16 yards.

With production like that from Schwartz up front, the Browns will gladly live with his deficiencies in pass protection, which they are confident he will improve on.

Despite falling behind 27-3 at half and going to a no-huddle offense in the second half to play catch-up, the Browns remained committed to the ground game. In fact they ran it more in the second half (19 times) than the first half (11).

As for the breakdown of where specifically the carries went, Cleveland ran right 6 times for 25 yards in the first half and 15 times for 102 yards and 2 touchdowns in the second.

The Browns ran left 4 times for 35 yards, including Travis Benjamin’s 10-yard run on a reverse, in the first and once for no gain in the second half.

Running up the middle produced 2 yards on 1 attempt in the first 30 minutes and 7 yards on 2 rushes in the second half.

The Browns success running the ball came despite losing starting running back Ben Tate in the first half due to a knee injury. Tate finished with 41 yards on 6 carries, including a 25 yard burst off left end.

His availability for this week’s game against the New Orleans Saints remains to be seen but should he be out, the Browns have a pair of backs in their stable more than capable of carrying the load.

A pair of rookies – Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell ran for a combined 132 yards on 21 carries against the Steelers.

It’s only 1 week but the early returns on the ground are strong.

As long as they run right.
I guess Schwartz's strength in the running game is why Pettine has steadily been in his corner every time he's been questioned about Mitchell.
Good post Bracie, Schwartz takes a lot of crap because of his pass blocking difficulties,but maybe this will help people notice where he shines.

I know, I know, draft talk in early September? Crazy talk but this doesn't sound as fantastic as it would a few days ago.

Oh and this doesn't come from Cleveland, it originates from Dallas and not just any beat writer. This comes from the venerated draft guru Rich Gosselin.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140908-gosselin-if-i-m-cleveland-browns-i-m-calling-jerry-jones-today-and-offering-johnny-manziel.ece

Gosselin: If I'm Cleveland Browns, I'm calling Jerry Jones today and offering Johnny Manziel

SportsDay columnist Rick "Goose" Gosselin hosted a chat Tuesday morning to talk everything sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: All the jabbering about Johnny Manziel worries me. Jones wanted him, and if we get a high draft pick, which i am sure from what I saw yesterday we will, Jerry Jones will screw that up too or he will trade away picks to get Manziel.

Gosselin: If I were the Cleveland Browns, I'd call Jones today and offer him Manziel for a first round pick in 2015. The Browns fleeced the Colts out of their one for RB Trent Richardson last year and might also get the Cowboys to bite this year. Jones clearly has been mourning his decision not to take him in the 2014 draft. The Browns might wind up with a Top 10 pick in return for a guy who's not even playing for them right now.
More from the above chat:

Question: If Tony keeps playing like he did Sunday for the next couple of weeks, how long before we see Brandon Weeden? Big salary could wind up costing Ws?

Gosselin: Brandon Weeden's not the answer. The rap on him at Cleveland was his poor decision with the football. We've already had our fill of those with Romo.

Question: Should Jason Garrett have benched Romo for the second half, since the game was already out of hand and he continued to make bone-headed mistakes? It would have at least sent a message to the team.

Gosselin: I thought that myself. He took a couple of hellacious hits on sacks. Justin Smith absolutely crushed him twice. At 28-3 at halftime, I didn't see the Cowboys coming back against a team that has played in three consecutive NFC title games. And down four scores, the Cowboys were going to have to throw, throw, throw to get back in. So the 49ers were going to be bringing a rush every down. Any hit could end Romo's season. That said, Romo played fewer than 50 snaps in the preseason and, in my opinion, wasn't ready for the season. His body wasn't ready, his arm wasn't ready. So the second half of that game gave him snaps he sorely could have used in training camp. Maybe he'll be better prepared to play against Tennessee now than he was the 49ers.

September 8 2014 10:04 AM

Question: Good morning Rick! What worries you the most: Romo's poor decisions (I emphasize the plural use of the the word), the secondary, or the huge number of 49ers fans at the stadium?

September 8 2014 10:07 AM

Gosselin: Poor decisions by Romo. He's 34 years old and been a starter for eight seasons. Yet he's still making the poor decisions I'd expect from a rookie. If he spins his wheels, this franchise spins its wheels. And he's spinning his wheels with less arm than he's had in the past. His long balls were wounded ducks and underthrows. If he's going to continue to throw into coverage, he's going to continue to get picked. He has to start doing what's best for the franchise -- stop taking chances. When he makes mistakes, this team loses.

September 8 2014 10:19 AM

Question: I know the answer to this, but figure I'll throw it out there anyway. What do you do with Romo? I have probably been one of his apologist for years, but I think I've finally reached the point where I can't defend him anymore. His decision making has always been suspect, especially at key/critical points in games. He has continued to fail in those areas. Do you think they would do anything with him after the season assuming they end up as bad I as I think they will? I'm predicting 6-10.

September 8 2014 10:22 AM

Gosselin: Not a whole lot you can so with him now. You're stuck with that contract. He's two games into a six-year, $108 million deal. Harder questions should have been asked in 2013 when the Cowboys re-signed him. How could you give that kind of money to an aging quarterback who had never won? All you can do now is start studying the 2015 draft board and find a quarterback you like high in the first round. It's time to start grooming a successor.

September 8 2014 10:24 AM

Question: Romo's decision making through out the game was deplorable: (1) With a 2nd and a at the 2 yard line and the team down 7-0, he audibles out of a run only to get sacked. (2) His pass in the end zone that was intercepted - this is a mistake that a first year quarterback makes (3) he consitently threw into double /triple coverage . I don't want to hear about his back or lack of playing time in the pre-season.... helathy or not , he is a mistake machine

September 8 2014 10:27 AM

Gosselin: Tony Romo needs to play perfect football for this team to win. That's not in the nature of a gunslinger quarterback who likes to take chances. In the last 32 games that Romo has committed at least one turnover, the Cowboys have lost 19 of them. Sometimes you need to do what's best for your team, not what's best for your reputation. If he's going to continue to try to force passes into coverage, he's going to continue getting intercepted. The good ones learn that early on in their careers.

Question: Over the years we have seen Romo have a game with a number or blunders but then next week bounce back and have a great game. Assuming his back is not significantly hurting, I think he will play much better against the Titans. Does anyone know the real status of his back?

September 8 2014 10:29 AM

Gosselin: I do know it takes him forever to get to the interview room after games these days. He took such a pounding in his half of action against Miami in the third preseason game that he sat in the ice tub for about 45 minutes afterwards. A 34-year-old quarterback is going to have aches and pains. A 34-year-old quarterback coming off two back surgeries is going to take even longer to recover after games. Everyone is Valley Ranch is mum on the issue, but I've got to believe the back re mains a factor. There is no zip on his passes. His deep balls look like parachute drops.
Romo is 34 and has a bad back and ... well we know what the Cowboy fans think of him and we also know Jerra loves Johnny Manziel. This isn't as crazy as it sounds. They can't 'groom' grandpa Weeden as their QB of the 'future' that is for sure.

If Dallas tanks, quite possibly, they will have to take a QB high in next year's draft and if they pick high in the first round they would have to pay MORE than what we are paying Manziel who was taken later in the first round.

Considering Buffalo won their opener that first round pick may not be as high as originally thought but they still might fall to earth and Dallas could always turn things around and Hoyer could go down at any time but... you know Jerry Jones would love to land Johnny Manziel. Even if the Boys season goes down the tubes he'd have his ace in the hole for next year and beyond with JFF.

We could structure a deal based upon where Dallas selects next year. If its in the top-fifteen then we only get their 1st round pick but since we used not only the 22nd pick but also kicked-in that 3rd round pick to move-up for Manziel if their pick falls below the 15th pick or if Johnny wound up starting and played well we'd have to get more than a mid-late first round pick.

The chatter that Dallas paid Romo and that means they can't use a high pick on a QB due to the cap hit goes out the window should the Boys wind up with a high pick in next year's draft. They probably couldn't have made that move this year because it was Romo's first year into that contract but if he gets injured or sucks or simply plays as erratically as he has played the past couple of seasons and Dallas has a down year then they will make a move no matter what the cap implications are IMHO so this projected trade isn't as whacked as it sounds and certainly not as crazy as it would have sounded a few days ago.

The good news.

Josh Gordon suspension is reduced.

The bad news.

Josh Gordon suspended for 10 games.

The worse news?

If Gordon plays more than 4 games this year he gets credit for a full NFL season so we get doubly screwed since he's going to ask for an enormous boost in pay so we'll face a big salary cap decision on his future worth next year if he plays more than 4 games this year which seems like a lock.

======================================

Jeff Schudel ‏@jsbrownsinsider 3h

If J.G. plays only 4 games it would not constitute as a credited season, per source, Would still have '15 and '16 on his contract. #Browns

If Gordon plays more than 4 games this year he gets credit for a full NFL season so we get doubly screwed since he's going to ask for an enormous boost in pay so we'll face a big salary cap decision on his future worth next year if he plays more than 4 games this year which seems like a lock.

======================================
The Browns would be idiots to give this guy a huge payday. Absolute idiots.

If Gordon plays more than 4 games this year he gets credit for a full NFL season so we get doubly screwed since he's going to ask for an enormous boost in pay so we'll face a big salary cap decision on his future worth next year if he plays more than 4 games this year which seems like a lock.======================================
The Browns would be idiots to give this guy a huge payday. Absolute idiots.
big contract that's completely void able if he gets pinched again or a never ending series of franchise tags.

I know, I know, draft talk in early September? Crazy talk but this doesn't sound as fantastic as it would a few days ago.

Oh and this doesn't come from Cleveland, it originates from Dallas and not just any beat writer. This comes from the venerated draft guru Rich Gosselin.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140908-gosselin-if-i-m-cleveland-browns-i-m-calling-jerry-jones-today-and-offering-johnny-manziel.ece

Gosselin: If I'm Cleveland Browns, I'm calling Jerry Jones today and offering Johnny Manziel

SportsDay columnist Rick "Goose" Gosselin hosted a chat Tuesday morning to talk everything sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: All the jabbering about Johnny Manziel worries me. Jones wanted him, and if we get a high draft pick, which i am sure from what I saw yesterday we will, Jerry Jones will screw that up too or he will trade away picks to get Manziel.

Gosselin: If I were the Cleveland Browns, I'd call Jones today and offer him Manziel for a first round pick in 2015. The Browns fleeced the Colts out of their one for RB Trent Richardson last year and might also get the Cowboys to bite this year. Jones clearly has been mourning his decision not to take him in the 2014 draft. The Browns might wind up with a Top 10 pick in return for a guy who's not even playing for them right now.
More from the above chat:

Question: If Tony keeps playing like he did Sunday for the next couple of weeks, how long before we see Brandon Weeden? Big salary could wind up costing Ws?

Gosselin: Brandon Weeden's not the answer. The rap on him at Cleveland was his poor decision with the football. We've already had our fill of those with Romo.

Question: Should Jason Garrett have benched Romo for the second half, since the game was already out of hand and he continued to make bone-headed mistakes? It would have at least sent a message to the team.

Gosselin: I thought that myself. He took a couple of hellacious hits on sacks. Justin Smith absolutely crushed him twice. At 28-3 at halftime, I didn't see the Cowboys coming back against a team that has played in three consecutive NFC title games. And down four scores, the Cowboys were going to have to throw, throw, throw to get back in. So the 49ers were going to be bringing a rush every down. Any hit could end Romo's season. That said, Romo played fewer than 50 snaps in the preseason and, in my opinion, wasn't ready for the season. His body wasn't ready, his arm wasn't ready. So the second half of that game gave him snaps he sorely could have used in training camp. Maybe he'll be better prepared to play against Tennessee now than he was the 49ers.

September 8 2014 10:04 AM

Question: Good morning Rick! What worries you the most: Romo's poor decisions (I emphasize the plural use of the the word), the secondary, or the huge number of 49ers fans at the stadium?

September 8 2014 10:07 AM

Gosselin: Poor decisions by Romo. He's 34 years old and been a starter for eight seasons. Yet he's still making the poor decisions I'd expect from a rookie. If he spins his wheels, this franchise spins its wheels. And he's spinning his wheels with less arm than he's had in the past. His long balls were wounded ducks and underthrows. If he's going to continue to throw into coverage, he's going to continue to get picked. He has to start doing what's best for the franchise -- stop taking chances. When he makes mistakes, this team loses.

September 8 2014 10:19 AM

Question: I know the answer to this, but figure I'll throw it out there anyway. What do you do with Romo? I have probably been one of his apologist for years, but I think I've finally reached the point where I can't defend him anymore. His decision making has always been suspect, especially at key/critical points in games. He has continued to fail in those areas. Do you think they would do anything with him after the season assuming they end up as bad I as I think they will? I'm predicting 6-10.

September 8 2014 10:22 AM

Gosselin: Not a whole lot you can so with him now. You're stuck with that contract. He's two games into a six-year, $108 million deal. Harder questions should have been asked in 2013 when the Cowboys re-signed him. How could you give that kind of money to an aging quarterback who had never won? All you can do now is start studying the 2015 draft board and find a quarterback you like high in the first round. It's time to start grooming a successor.

September 8 2014 10:24 AM

Question: Romo's decision making through out the game was deplorable: (1) With a 2nd and a at the 2 yard line and the team down 7-0, he audibles out of a run only to get sacked. (2) His pass in the end zone that was intercepted - this is a mistake that a first year quarterback makes (3) he consitently threw into double /triple coverage . I don't want to hear about his back or lack of playing time in the pre-season.... helathy or not , he is a mistake machine

Gosselin: Tony Romo needs to play perfect football for this team to win. That's not in the nature of a gunslinger quarterback who likes to take chances. In the last 32 games that Romo has committed at least one turnover, the Cowboys have lost 19 of them. Sometimes you need to do what's best for your team, not what's best for your reputation. If he's going to continue to try to force passes into coverage, he's going to continue getting intercepted. The good ones learn that early on in their careers.

Question: Over the years we have seen Romo have a game with a number or blunders but then next week bounce back and have a great game. Assuming his back is not significantly hurting, I think he will play much better against the Titans. Does anyone know the real status of his back?

September 8 2014 10:29 AM

Gosselin: I do know it takes him forever to get to the interview room after games these days. He took such a pounding in his half of action against Miami in the third preseason game that he sat in the ice tub for about 45 minutes afterwards. A 34-year-old quarterback is going to have aches and pains. A 34-year-old quarterback coming off two back surgeries is going to take even longer to recover after games. Everyone is Valley Ranch is mum on the issue, but I've got to believe the back re mains a factor. There is no zip on his passes. His deep balls look like parachute drops.
Romo is 34 and has a bad back and ... well we know what the Cowboy fans think of him and we also know Jerra loves Johnny Manziel. This isn't as crazy as it sounds. They can't 'groom' grandpa Weeden as their QB of the 'future' that is for sure.

If Dallas tanks, quite possibly, they will have to take a QB high in next year's draft and if they pick high in the first round they would have to pay MORE than what we are paying Manziel who was taken later in the first round.

Considering Buffalo won their opener that first round pick may not be as high as originally thought but they still might fall to earth and Dallas could always turn things around and Hoyer could go down at any time but... you know Jerry Jones would love to land Johnny Manziel. Even if the Boys season goes down the tubes he'd have his ace in the hole for next year and beyond with JFF.

We could structure a deal based upon where Dallas selects next year. If its in the top-fifteen then we only get their 1st round pick but since we used not only the 22nd pick but also kicked-in that 3rd round pick to move-up for Manziel if their pick falls below the 15th pick or if Johnny wound up starting and played well we'd have to get more than a mid-late first round pick.

The chatter that Dallas paid Romo and that means they can't use a high pick on a QB due to the cap hit goes out the window should the Boys wind up with a high pick in next year's draft. They probably couldn't have made that move this year because it was Romo's first year into that contract but if he gets injured or sucks or simply plays as erratically as he has played the past couple of seasons and Dallas has a down year then they will make a move no matter what the cap implications are IMHO so this projected trade isn't as whacked as it sounds and certainly not as crazy as it would have sounded a few days ago.
i can't describe how happy this would make me. especially if they got, say, a first and a third.

personally i'd settle for a second.

great win! should be 2-0..Kyle Shanahan showing some talent as an OC! if he keeps it up he'll be on a short list for HC jobs next season ...very impressed with this offense thus far..kudos!

This is about as positive as I have been about a Browns season at this point in the season since they came back 15 years ago. They aren't going to win 12 games, but they could be at least an 8 - 9 win team and compete for the playoffs. Usually at this point in the season I have a list of about 8 positions that need a serious upgrade before next year if the Browns are going to be competitive, but that's not the case this year.

Should be a fun season.

This is about as positive as I have been about a Browns season at this point in the season since they came back 15 years ago. They aren't going to win 12 games, but they could be at least an 8 - 9 win team and compete for the playoffs. Usually at this point in the season I have a list of about 8 positions that need a serious upgrade before next year if the Browns are going to be competitive, but that's not the case this year.

Should be a fun season.
Don't have to win this week, obviously would be a huge boost, but have to take advantage of soft schedule after the bye. 5-3 going into the primetime game against Cincy is very reasonable and I'll be disappointed with anything less.

To be fair, Manziel didn't exactly do anything wrong either. The run got blown up and the pass was on the money and dropped. I also don't think I saw his 1st time in the game and maybe you are referring to that...was getting back from kids football right then.

Users who are viewing this thread