What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

Atlanta Falcons fined $350,000 and forfeit their 5th round draft pick in the 2016 draft

Rich McKay suspended from competition committee beginning April 1

Roddy White was behind it and would have been given an 8 game suspension without pay if he was still with the team. if he obtains employment with another team during the 2015 season, he may be required to serve some or all of his suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schefter says they will not lose a draft pick for textgate. Huge break. Just a big fine and Farmer suspension.
Troy Vincent confirms. $250k fine, Farmer suspended 1st 4 regular season games.
I love when a GM gets suspended for X amount of games. What does that even mean?
"Ray Farmer cannot be involved in any club matters and is prohibited from being at the Browns’ offices or games during his suspension"

So, he can still text while he's away.

Whew

wait, the OC was checking his texts during the game?

who does that?
That's a pretty interesting observation out of all of this. Why would Shanahan even be looking at his text messages during the game - in case his wife asked him to pick up milk on the way home?

I think this is why Shanny left - he was probably ordered by his boss "Farmer" to be informed of what he was supposed to call during the game. I really don't think any coach would have a phone on during the game, there is way too many quick decisions that need to be made. Unless you have a meddling owner/GM.

Not irony.

Karma.

========

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN · 2h 2 hours ago

Irony RT @treed1919 So Kyle Shanahan spills beans on Browns only to join another franchise that loses a draft pick for violating rules
Plus he now has to work with Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Julio Jones instead of Josh McCown, Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline. Oh wait, never mind.
He left Washington on good terms, he left Cleveland on good terms so I'm sure things will work out just as smoothly in Atlanta.

Not irony.

Karma.

========

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN · 2h 2 hours ago

Irony RT @treed1919 So Kyle Shanahan spills beans on Browns only to join another franchise that loses a draft pick for violating rules
Plus he now has to work with Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Julio Jones instead of Josh McCown, Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline. Oh wait, never mind.
He left Washington on good terms, he left Cleveland on good terms so I'm sure things will work out just as smoothly in Atlanta.
I'm sure being Shanny, Jr. gives him a false sense of entitlement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the hostility towards Shanahan is about. It's ridiculous that a GM was bugging the coaches during a game. It's good that he got it out in the open so it would get stopped.

who does that?
That's a pretty interesting observation out of all of this. Why would Shanahan even be looking at his text messages during the game - in case his wife asked him to pick up milk on the way home?
If the GM is sending him texts during a game, it would stand to reason that he has some reason to expect that the OC would be getting them during the game. In other words, Shannahan was likely informed that he was to be on the lookout for texts from Farmer during games.

And while I can understand fans being upset at Shannahan for blowing the whistle, it seems to me that the real anger should be directed at a GM that is so unbelievably controlling that he breaks NFL rules in order to meddle during games.

Roddy White was behind it and would have been given an 8 game suspension without pay if he was still with the team. if he obtains employment with another team during the 2015 season, he may be required to serve some or all of his suspension.
wat
:goodposting:
Just a weird coincidence. The Falcons former head of in-game promotions happened to be named Roddy White. Not the same guy as WR Roddy White.

ghostguy123 said:
Dr. Octopus said:
amnesiac said:

who does that?
Or if you can't do anything with the phone, why even have it on you in the first place?
Boss told him to put the phone in his pocket.

Nobody really cares about text gate. The story had virtually no play outside of Cleveland, the NFL didn't even deem it much of a transgression. Its a boring story that no one will be talking about outside of when Farmer serves his time.

Bottom line, no draft picks lost.

How much chatter did it get around here, anyway?

Whenever I heard them talking about it on the radio I couldn't change the channel fast enough.

ghostguy123 said:
Dr. Octopus said:
amnesiac said:

who does that?
Or if you can't do anything with the phone, why even have it on you in the first place?
He was texting other people to deliver messages to the sidelines.

Heard a rumor the textgate crap might cause us to be ineligible for compensatory picks in 2016............................ :wall: :wall:

God I hope that isnt true

Faust said:
I like Rob Rang's picks. RT, DT.

I wonder if there are "maturity" rehab centers...
OL is well down their list of needs. Cannot afford to use a 1st rd pick there when they have bigger needs at NT, pass rusher, WR, and TE.
:goodposting:

I expect a depth pick or two later, but any time in the first 75 picks or so and...

http://static.davidreport.com/2007/06/the_shining1.jpg

Faust said:
I like Rob Rang's picks. RT, DT.

I wonder if there are "maturity" rehab centers...
OL is well down their list of needs. Cannot afford to use a 1st rd pick there when they have bigger needs at NT, pass rusher, WR, and TE.
I agree. O-Line depth is needed. Maybe a swing-man C/OG. We have Bowie who is healthy and should be ready to give Schwartz some competition at RT.

I hope we don't draft a 2-down run plugger NT with the #12 pick who can't contribute much pass rush and has to be shuffled off the field in passing situations in a pass dominated league. This draft is remarkably deep at the DT/NT position and a good one can be found in the second round.

Pass rushers are always welcome and it looks like we may have our choice between a couple at the #12 pick.

I don't think we stand a chance to land one of the top-two WRs so if our top pick is a decision between a pass rusher and DeVante Parker I hope we like the pass rusher.

If you look at the 1st round TEs taken in recent drafts none of them have lived up to expectations as big play guys worthy of 1st round picks. 2008 Dustin Keller, 2009 Brandon Pettigrew, 2010 Jermaine Gresham, 2013 Tyler Eifert, 2014 Eric Ebron. Compare to Gronk taken in the 2nd round the year of Gresham or Jimmy Graham taken in the 3rd that same year or Julius Thomas taken in the 4th round in 2011. If you take a TE in the first round they had better have Gronk-like abilities but I don't see any TE like that in this year's draft so I hope we don't reach for a TE.

I hope we land a pass rusher with one of our first round picks and then can work a trade-down into the 2nd round to pick up an extra 1st round pick next year to land a QB. In the 2nd round we should be able to find a NT or WR or TE and get an extra 1st round pick next year to make a play for a QB because it doesn't look like we'll get one this year who is a legit franchise prospect without trading away the farm and I don't see that either.

i don't see anyone burning a future 1st to get up to 19 in this draft.
Teams do not typically advertise about wanting to move-up into the first round because those deals happen when a player that some team likes has fallen and they get antsy.

The only time the Browns traded-up was when Brady Quinn had fallen but the Saints moved up when RB Mark Ingram had fallen to the bottom of the 1st round, last year the Vikings move-up into the bottom of the 1st round for Bridgewater, they did the same thing the year before for WR Cordarrelle Pattterson.

Their has been an average of four teams with multiple picks in the first round over just the last four years and the primary way teams acquired extra picks was moving down out of the first round when they were on the clock.

bottom of the first round happens all the time.

i'm not recalling many trades into the middle of the first round.

on a side note, 12 of the first 16 players off the board in 2011 have gone to a pro bowl.

3 of the 4 that didn't were QBs. Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder.

Bottom of the first round does not happen all of the time. Most of those trades were when guys fell to late/middle of the first, typically in the twenties. Its less likely and more unusual that trades were made in the 30s (only one I can think of off hand) or even very late twenties.

If a team sees a player dropping they start making calls but by the time they find a willing trade partner it is after they made a few calls. For example when started making calls for Brady Quinn we made the first call starting at the 12th pick. ESPN was reporting that we were calling everybody but didn't find a trade partner until Dallas who had the 22nd pick. The first teams we called wanted more than just our first the next year and the next few teams didn't want to trade down and we didn't want to make any trades within our division so we didn't bother to ask divisional rivals.

If we put out feelers before the draft telling GMs that we might be willing to move down into the 2nd round if some prospect that they liked started dropping but we would be seeking a trade for a 1st next year. If we had established the parameters of any deal before hand I would imagine we'd get more teams making calls. Its not as ridiculous as fans who think if we draft a guy later in the draft that we'd be fine at the QB position so long as we draft somebody this year or we should trade both our first round picks or our top pick this year and next year's first to move-up for Mariota.

I don't think we can find a viable franchise QB prospect this year so face facts and at least put a plan in place to try for next year. If not then what is your plan to find a franchise QB?

Bottom of the first round does not happen all of the time. Most of those trades were when guys fell to late/middle of the first, typically in the twenties. Its less likely and more unusual that trades were made in the 30s (only one I can think of off hand) or even very late twenties.

If a team sees a player dropping they start making calls but by the time they find a willing trade partner it is after they made a few calls. For example when started making calls for Brady Quinn we made the first call starting at the 12th pick. ESPN was reporting that we were calling everybody but didn't find a trade partner until Dallas who had the 22nd pick. The first teams we called wanted more than just our first the next year and the next few teams didn't want to trade down and we didn't want to make any trades within our division so we didn't bother to ask divisional rivals.
the examples you provided were Ingram (pick 28), Patterson (pick 29) and Bridgewater (pick 32), which are a lot lower picks than 19, so i'm not seeing the comparison.

you are correct about Quinn though, the Browns did spend their next years first in addition to that years second to move up to 22.

regardless, my comment was just that even if the Browns want to trade down from the 19 spot, i don't see it as very likely this year.

wait a minute, what i specifically said was that no one is going to send a future first to move up to the 19, so most of your examples make even less sense.

i'm going to go forget we had this exchange now.

Users who are viewing this thread