What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

To be honest I'd much rather have Weeden than Tannehill. Much better near team prospect- more experience, better football IQ. Still a very strong arm and mobile. So what if he's old- if we get 5 good years out of him it will be way more than we've ever gotten out of any QB around here. If he's there are 37 I'd take him.

I'm now worried about our OL since we've released Steinbach. Does this mean we will pick up a free agent or draft a OG? Now we need a OG AND an OT. We CANNOT have Lauvao and Pinkston both starting again. Those guys just aren't good enough. And with the release of Pashos it's obvious we need a OT.

So disappointed about Steinbach.

Eff Hillis, THAT guy is Cleveland. I hope they bring him back at a cheaper salary. The OL pool has actually increased since the start of FA.

Let's be real for a second here. Here's what we've lost on our offense:

OG Steinbach

OT Pashos

RB Hillis

That's three starters there, two of which are very good players. We still need a QB and 2 WRs. Assuming that we take Heckert for his word, we aren't going to be signing any marquee free agents. Just to fill the three holes we've created we're going to need to spend some draft picks. We don't have enough draft picks to fill all our holes obviously, but will we have enough to fill the holes we have created this offseason? Are we going to actually have a net increase in offensive talent by the start of this season? Or are we just moving backwards?

I'm a patient guy but things aren't looking good as of today.

OG Steinbach

OT Pashos

RB Hillis

That's three starters there, two of which are very good players. We still need a QB and 2 WRs. Assuming that we take Heckert for his word, we aren't going to be signing any marquee free agents. Just to fill the three holes we've created we're going to need to spend some draft picks. We don't have enough draft picks to fill all our holes obviously, but will we have enough to fill the holes we have created this offseason? Are we going to actually have a net increase in offensive talent by the start of this season? Or are we just moving backwards?

:goodposting: :yucky: I was hoping for some movement today, but all I saw was Frostee Rucker. We lose Hillis and Steinbach and pick up a rotational DE?!? I know Hillis = Drama, but he brought some life to this offense. Steiny was injured last year, but I thought he was making strides for a comeback this year. Maybe he'll re-sign at a lower rate. Not too worried about Tony Turnstile.

Hoping for an Eric Winston type signing for RT and the trade for Tate to be real. But I won't hold my breath.

To be honest I'd much rather have Weeden than Tannehill. Much better near team prospect- more experience, better football IQ. Still a very strong arm and mobile. So what if he's old- if we get 5 good years out of him it will be way more than we've ever gotten out of any QB around here. If he's there are 37 I'd take him.I'm now worried about our OL since we've released Steinbach. Does this mean we will pick up a free agent or draft a OG? Now we need a OG AND an OT. We CANNOT have Lauvao and Pinkston both starting again. Those guys just aren't good enough. And with the release of Pashos it's obvious we need a OT.
Steinbach was declining before the injury. Pashos has played what, 16 games in 3 years? Neither was worth the money and neither is a long term answer. The team needed help at Guard and Tackle with or without these two. Kind of a wait and see on Pinkston and Lauvao. Hopefully both can stay on the field and develop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good riddance to Hillis. I don't want this team wasting time and resources on a prima donna headache. Talented RB, but way too much of a distraction. He's not getting any younger either.

OG Steinbach

OT Pashos

RB Hillis

:goodposting: :yucky: I was hoping for some movement today, but all I saw was Frostee Rucker. We lose Hillis and Steinbach and pick up a rotational DE?!? I know Hillis = Drama, but he brought some life to this offense. Steiny was injured last year, but I thought he was making strides for a comeback this year. Maybe he'll re-sign at a lower rate. Not too worried about Tony Turnstile.

Hoping for an Eric Winston type signing for RT and the trade for Tate to be real. But I won't hold my breath.
I don't see losing any of the 3 as a big loss, and saying the team lost 3 "starters" is a bit of a stretch. As I said before, Steinbach's play was declining before the injury and now he's a year older. Pashos can't stay healthy and he's no spring chicken either. Hillis is a head case, and he didn't exactly play full time. Thank the former regimes for leaving a roster full of old men. Heckert turned over the Browns roster last year and the team is much younger. You have to hope that Heckert's eye for talent is true and allow these guys time to develop. I suspect that we see strides in a few of the younger guys this year.

That said, yeah, there are holes to fill, but signing end of their career offensive linemen and RBs is not a good recipe for this team.

It's pretty clear from my posts that I have no faith in the coaching staff, but I have had faith in Heckert. That faith is fading. Fast. You can't build a winner in ONLY the draft. I understand you build your core from the draft, but in this era you need some semblance of free agent talent. You're going into year 3, it's put up or shut up time. And I'm beginning to believe we may have a worse offense in 2012 than we did in 2011. 2 months ago I didn't think it was possible, but...now...here we are.

Fix it.

It's pretty clear from my posts that I have no faith in the coaching staff, but I have had faith in Heckert. That faith is fading. Fast. You can't build a winner in ONLY the draft. I understand you build your core from the draft, but in this era you need some semblance of free agent talent. You're going into year 3, it's put up or shut up time. And I'm beginning to believe we may have a worse offense in 2012 than we did in 2011. 2 months ago I didn't think it was possible, but...now...here we are.Fix it.
I can't believe he hasn't filled all the holes in one day of free agency. I can't believe he didn't offer 4 first rounders for Griffin. I can't believe he didn't just pay a 31 year old guard coming off back surgery 6 million dollars rather than try to rework his contract. I can't believe he didn't pay an injury prone headcase RB 3 million dollars. I can't believe he didn't pay 6 or 8 million a year for a #2 or 3 receiver from a good offense and try to make them his #1 because that always works so well Alvin Harper says.

It's pretty clear from my posts that I have no faith in the coaching staff, but I have had faith in Heckert. That faith is fading. Fast. You can't build a winner in ONLY the draft. I understand you build your core from the draft, but in this era you need some semblance of free agent talent. You're going into year 3, it's put up or shut up time. And I'm beginning to believe we may have a worse offense in 2012 than we did in 2011. 2 months ago I didn't think it was possible, but...now...here we are.Fix it.
I can't believe he hasn't filled all the holes in one day of free agency. I can't believe he didn't offer 4 first rounders for Griffin. I can't believe he didn't just pay a 31 year old guard coming off back surgery 6 million dollars rather than try to rework his contract. I can't believe he didn't pay an injury prone headcase RB 3 million dollars. I can't believe he didn't pay 6 or 8 million a year for a #2 or 3 receiver from a good offense and try to make them his #1 because that always works so well Alvin Harper says.
:lmao: Thank you. :thumbup:

Free agents don't want to play with Cleveland now and the only things that will change it will be winning and having a quarterback that gives the team a chance to be a winner. Mario Williams gave a lame excuse why he didn't want to play in Cleveland, but he was just trying to be nice about why.

Hey guys we got Frostee Rucker

Frostee mother####ing Rucker guys :headbang: :pickle: :clap:

$19,125.68/day and we got Frostee mother####ing Rucker man. I AM STOKED BEYOND BELIEF!!!!

AND we got rid of the ####### headache we called our starting RB.

I can hardly contain myself with the strides the front office is making this offseason.

I absolutely agree with your points here. A lot of Browns fans panic way too fast when it comes to making moves for the team. I personally back H&H- it's gonna take time and we shouldn't be overpaying for guys. The WR contracts flying around are insane. And I don't think it would be smart to bring Hillis back, he's a nut.That said, as of today our team has noticeably less talent on the offensive side of the ball than the juggernaut offense that we fielded last year. We are creating holes, and I think there is a legitimate question as to whether it is possible to even fill the holes we are creating in this offseason, in addition to the ones that were there before. I think that warrants a little bit of worry.Steinbach was coming off an injury but I reject the notion that he was "declining". Our OL helped Peyton have a huge year when the left side was healthy. He's always been a above average guard- anyone with eyes could see the enormous dropoff between him and Pinkston. To call 31 years old for an OG is just flat out wrong- many of the top OL are solidly in that age range. That's just silly. Was he worth 6 million? No. But he was a grade A starting caliber guard, and those typically cost 1st/2nd rounders. Can we afford to spend one of those right now?Now, if he's too injured to play, that another story, but personally I'm not a huge fan of his outright release. If he sucks this year then cut him next year. We already have enough to deal with right now...

I want to be patient but my inner Browns fan just wants us to throw some dough around and make some noise for once.

I would have liked to have Hillis on for $3 mil; I hope we're looking at Tate or drafting Richardson because I have no faith in Hardesty. He can't catch the ball out of the backfield and didn't show me anything.

Someone from theOBR boards mentioned we were talking to agents of Ben Grubbs and Anthony Collins. Encouraging but I don't think anything will come of it. I hope two things: one that Steinbach is healthy, and two that we work something out with him to bring him back.

At QB we're slow playing Matt Flynn. I wouldn't mind him. I am really souring on Tannehill unless it's with our 2nd rounder (won't happen). I'd rather build around Colt for this year than draft a project too early.

Don't discount the importance of Frostee Rucker. We were 2 overall against the pass and 30 overall against the run. Frostee is a run stopper.

I'm trying hard to be patient...

It's pretty clear from my posts that I have no faith in the coaching staff, but I have had faith in Heckert. That faith is fading. Fast. You can't build a winner in ONLY the draft. I understand you build your core from the draft, but in this era you need some semblance of free agent talent. You're going into year 3, it's put up or shut up time. And I'm beginning to believe we may have a worse offense in 2012 than we did in 2011. 2 months ago I didn't think it was possible, but...now...here we are.

Fix it.
I absolutely agree with your points here. A lot of Browns fans panic way too fast when it comes to making moves for the team. I personally back H&H- it's gonna take time and we shouldn't be overpaying for guys. The WR contracts flying around are insane. And I don't think it would be smart to bring Hillis back, he's a nut.That said, as of today our team has noticeably less talent on the offensive side of the ball than the juggernaut offense that we fielded last year. We are creating holes, and I think there is a legitimate question as to whether it is possible to even fill the holes we are creating in this offseason, in addition to the ones that were there before. I think that warrants a little bit of worry.

Steinbach was coming off an injury but I reject the notion that he was "declining". Our OL helped Peyton have a huge year when the left side was healthy. He's always been a above average guard- anyone with eyes could see the enormous dropoff between him and Pinkston. To call 31 years old for an OG is just flat out wrong- many of the top OL are solidly in that age range. That's just silly. Was he worth 6 million? No. But he was a grade A starting caliber guard, and those typically cost 1st/2nd rounders. Can we afford to spend one of those right now?

Now, if he's too injured to play, that another story, but personally I'm not a huge fan of his outright release. If he sucks this year then cut him next year. We already have enough to deal with right now...
There was a noticeable drop-off when Steinbach went out. I won't disagree one bit. Let's just say that his play wasn't on par with what it had been in the past. I'm not the only one who saw that. That doesn't mean he sucks and I didn't say as much. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Also, I said Steinbach was a year older, not too old. He's not good enough or young enough to warrant the contract. Hopefully he's good to go and resigns at a lesser cost.

Fix it.
Its Cleveland. They are going to have to overpay people to play there. If they refuse to do that, then the odds of success drop quite a bit. It means their trades and drafts will have to be that much better.

Have Heckert and Holmgren only been here one day? I thought they got here 2 years ago.

Have Heckert and Holmgren only been here one day? I thought they got here 2 years ago.
Year 3 of the 5 year plan and I will gladly, GLADLY, eat a steaming pile of crow if they improve on their record from last year. Just don't see it happening.

'beer 30 said:
'Fallerjw said:
'Menace said:
anyone think Holmgren will be out if they post another 4 or 5 win season?
Anybody have confidence that they will win more than 5 games?
I'm on record for a solid no.$19,125.68/day = Frostee Rucker :excited:
Ok Hammer :rolleyes:
If that $19,125.68/day will help get us from #30 against the run to #20, with our #2 pass defense that could be good enough to be top 3. I'll take it.

Obviously the Browns think they can get someone similar or better than Steinbach, Pashos, etc. Some of the second tier OL available...

D'Anthony Batiste (ARZ) - OTBrandon Keith (ARZ) - OTKirk Chambers (ATL) - OTMark LeVoir (BAL) - OTFrank Omiyale (CHI) - OTAnthony Collins (CIN) - OTDennis Roland (CIN) - OTOniel Cousins (CLE) - OTArtis Hicks (CLE) - OTJeff Backus (DET) - OTQuinn Ojinnaka (IND) - OTGuy Whimper (JAC) - OTBarry Richardson (KC) - OTRyan O'Callaghan (KC) - OTVernon Carey (MIA) - OTPat McQuistan (MIA) - OTKareem McKenzie (NYG) - OTRobert Turner (NYJ) - OTKhalif Barnes (OAK) - OTStephon Heyer (OAK) - OTKing Dunlap (PHI) - OTTrai Essex (PIT) - OTMax Starks (PIT) - OTChris Kemoeatu (PIT) - OTTony Moll (SD) - OTAdam Snyder (SF) - OTAdam Goldberg (STL) - OTJames Lee (TB) - OTSean Locklear (WAS) - OTC.J. Davis (CAR) - OT - Exclusive RightsGeoff Schwartz (CAR) - OT - RestrictedGarry Williams (CAR) - OT - RestrictedJermey Parnell (DAL) - OT - Exclusive RightsChris Clark (DEN) - OT - Exclusive RightsCorey Hilliard (DET) - OT - RestrictedLydon Murtha (MIA) - OT - RestrictedPatrick Brown (MIN) - OT - Exclusive RightsBrandyn Dombrowski (SD) - OT - RestrictedAlex Boone (SF) - OT - Exclusive RightsDeuce Lutui (ARZ) - OGMackenzy Bernadeau (CAR) - OGNate Livings (CIN) - OGMike McGlynn (CIN) - OGBobbie Williams (CIN) - OGJohn Greco (CLE) - OGSteve Vallos (CLE) - OGDerrick Dockery (DAL) - OGMontrae Holland (DAL) - OGRuss Hochstein (DEN) - OGManuel Ramirez (DEN) - OGLeonard Davis (DET) - OGMike Brisiel (HOU) - OGRyan Diem (IND) - OGJamey Richard (IND) - OGSamson Satele (OAK) - OGDan Connolly (NE) - OGRich Ohrnberger (NE) - OGStacy Andrews (NYG) - OGMike Gibson (SEA) - OGPat McQuistan (SEA) - OGChilo Rachal (SF) - OGJacob Bell (STL) - OGTony Wragge (STL) - OGJeremy Zuttah (TB) - OGJake Scott (TEN) - OGChad Rinehart (BUF) - OG - RestrictedKraig Urbik (BUF) - OG - RestrictedDorian Brooks (PIT) - OG - Exclusive RightsRamon Foster (PIT) - OG - RestrictedKory Lichtensteiger (WAS) - OG - RestrictedTodd McClure (ATL) - OCBrett Romberg (ATL) - OCMatt Birk (BAL) - OCAndre Gurode (BAL) - OCGeoff Hangartner - OCDon Muhlbach (DET) - OCRyan Pontbriand (FA) - OCMike Pollak (IND) - OCJeff Saturday (IND) - OCCasey Wiegmann (KC) - OCDan Koppen (NE) - OCNick Hardwick (SD) - OCScott Mruczkowski (SD) - OCKen Amato (TEN) - OCEdwin Williams (CHI) - OC - Exclusive RightsJon Weeks (HOU) - OC - RestrictedRyan Wendell (NE) - OC - RestrictedJustin Drescher (NO) - OC - Exclusive RightsMike Windt (SD) - OC - Exclusive RightsFernando Velasco (TEN) - OC - Restricted

Obviously the Browns think they can get someone similar or better than Steinbach, Pashos, etc. Some of the second tier OL available...
I agree, but where will the saved $ be spent? I'm all for cap saving moves if it means spending $ elsewhere, but I'm not seeing where that $ is being spent.

D'Anthony Batiste (ARZ) - OTBrandon Keith (ARZ) - OTKirk Chambers (ATL) - OTMark LeVoir (BAL) - OTFrank Omiyale (CHI) - OTAnthony Collins (CIN) - OTDennis Roland (CIN) - OTOniel Cousins (CLE) - OTArtis Hicks (CLE) - OTJeff Backus (DET) - OTQuinn Ojinnaka (IND) - OTGuy Whimper (JAC) - OTBarry Richardson (KC) - OTRyan O'Callaghan (KC) - OTVernon Carey (MIA) - OTPat McQuistan (MIA) - OTKareem McKenzie (NYG) - OTRobert Turner (NYJ) - OTKhalif Barnes (OAK) - OTStephon Heyer (OAK) - OTKing Dunlap (PHI) - OTTrai Essex (PIT) - OTMax Starks (PIT) - OTChris Kemoeatu (PIT) - OTTony Moll (SD) - OTAdam Snyder (SF) - OTAdam Goldberg (STL) - OTJames Lee (TB) - OTSean Locklear (WAS) - OTC.J. Davis (CAR) - OT - Exclusive RightsGeoff Schwartz (CAR) - OT - RestrictedGarry Williams (CAR) - OT - RestrictedJermey Parnell (DAL) - OT - Exclusive RightsChris Clark (DEN) - OT - Exclusive RightsCorey Hilliard (DET) - OT - RestrictedLydon Murtha (MIA) - OT - RestrictedPatrick Brown (MIN) - OT - Exclusive RightsBrandyn Dombrowski (SD) - OT - RestrictedAlex Boone (SF) - OT - Exclusive RightsDeuce Lutui (ARZ) - OGMackenzy Bernadeau (CAR) - OGNate Livings (CIN) - OGMike McGlynn (CIN) - OGBobbie Williams (CIN) - OGJohn Greco (CLE) - OGSteve Vallos (CLE) - OGDerrick Dockery (DAL) - OGMontrae Holland (DAL) - OGRuss Hochstein (DEN) - OGManuel Ramirez (DEN) - OGLeonard Davis (DET) - OGMike Brisiel (HOU) - OGRyan Diem (IND) - OGJamey Richard (IND) - OGSamson Satele (OAK) - OGDan Connolly (NE) - OGRich Ohrnberger (NE) - OGStacy Andrews (NYG) - OGMike Gibson (SEA) - OGPat McQuistan (SEA) - OGChilo Rachal (SF) - OGJacob Bell (STL) - OGTony Wragge (STL) - OGJeremy Zuttah (TB) - OGJake Scott (TEN) - OGChad Rinehart (BUF) - OG - RestrictedKraig Urbik (BUF) - OG - RestrictedDorian Brooks (PIT) - OG - Exclusive RightsRamon Foster (PIT) - OG - RestrictedKory Lichtensteiger (WAS) - OG - RestrictedTodd McClure (ATL) - OCBrett Romberg (ATL) - OCMatt Birk (BAL) - OCAndre Gurode (BAL) - OCGeoff Hangartner - OCDon Muhlbach (DET) - OCRyan Pontbriand (FA) - OCMike Pollak (IND) - OCJeff Saturday (IND) - OCCasey Wiegmann (KC) - OCDan Koppen (NE) - OCNick Hardwick (SD) - OCScott Mruczkowski (SD) - OCKen Amato (TEN) - OCEdwin Williams (CHI) - OC - Exclusive RightsJon Weeks (HOU) - OC - RestrictedRyan Wendell (NE) - OC - RestrictedJustin Drescher (NO) - OC - Exclusive RightsMike Windt (SD) - OC - Exclusive RightsFernando Velasco (TEN) - OC - Restricted
Maybe they just sit tight and draft Riley Reiff to be the RT.

I agree, but where will the saved $ be spent? I'm all for cap saving moves if it means spending $ elsewhere, but I'm not seeing where that $ is being spent.
You want the Browns to tweet what their plans are every two minutes? FA is two days old.

You want the Browns to tweet what their plans are every two minutes? FA is two days old.
Who in the available player pool do you see that's worth the $ we're saving? Cap cuts for Houston, Pittsburgh, etc. make sense because they're up against it. We're not.

Who in the available player pool do you see that's worth the $ we're saving?
No clue. Have to hope the people in Berea do.

Grubbs to Saints as per ESPN. :thumbup: as he is out of the division, :thumbdown: as he would have looked nice in Orange and Brown.

benson_will_lead_the_way mentioned Riley Reiff. ZERO chance he lasts till 22, no?

Grubbs to Saints as per ESPN. :thumbup: as he is out of the division, :thumbdown: as he would have looked nice in Orange and Brown. benson_will_lead_the_way mentioned Riley Reiff. ZERO chance he lasts till 22, no?
Can't imagine it. Like QB's, OT's usually inflate in value closer to the draft. If we still don't have one I'm all for Jon Martin if he falls, but I doubt that happens. Not a big fan of Mike Adams or Cordy Glenn at all though.I really don't see us fixing our short term RT issue in the draft, developmental guy late day 2/early day 3? Yea, but you can't rely on him to start. Then you end up with what we did last year with Pinkston, he was decent come years end but man was that guy over matched for the first 2 months.

Grubbs to Saints as per ESPN. :thumbup: as he is out of the division, :thumbdown: as he would have looked nice in Orange and Brown. benson_will_lead_the_way mentioned Riley Reiff. ZERO chance he lasts till 22, no?
I meant at #4.
RT at 4? No.They will take Claiborne or trade down.
If they can trade down to the 10-14 range while picking up an extra first in the process for next year, I'd definitely do Reiff at that spot. VERY stupid question... but is it an automatic trade down if Kalil is there? Is putting Kalil at RT like buying a Cadillac when all you need is a Camry?

Who in the available player pool do you see that's worth the $ we're saving? Cap cuts for Houston, Pittsburgh, etc. make sense because they're up against it. We're not.
We'll just carry the cap over to next year. We're not winning this year, anyway.

'beer 30 said:
'Fallerjw said:
'Menace said:
anyone think Holmgren will be out if they post another 4 or 5 win season?
Anybody have confidence that they will win more than 5 games?
I'm on record for a solid no.$19,125.68/day = Frostee Rucker :excited:
Ok Hammer :rolleyes:
Wouldn't you just love to lay that little ####### weasel out just once? :boxing:
:lmao: After roughly 33 years as a Browns fan my "wait & see" is a bit worn out.

I meant at #4.
RT at 4? No.They will take Claiborne or trade down.
If they can trade down to the 10-14 range while picking up an extra first in the process for next year, I'd definitely do Reiff at that spot. VERY stupid question... but is it an automatic trade down if Kalil is there? Is putting Kalil at RT like buying a Cadillac when all you need is a Camry?
Taking Kalil at 4 would make sense. Could put him at RT for next couple years, then when Thomas starts to decline in a few years flip their positions. I hope they take Richardson though. We passed on Peterson for Thomas, so would hate for us to pass on another rare RB talent for an OT.

We'll just carry the cap over to next year. We're not winning this year, anyway.
This is another reason why I hope we don't look at QB until day 3. I think we're going to be terrible this year. So why waste a pick on an avg QB when we have a shot at Barkley next year? I prefer RG3 to Barkley, but I MUCH prefer Barkley to Tannehill or Weeden. Going Tannehill or Weeden puts us in Minnesota's position this year.Put Colt in the best position to succeed, if he fails then go get Barkley. If he continues to develop then we're not picking in a spot in which Barkley is an option anyway. Then keep building.

Users who are viewing this thread