What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

At this point I think the #4 is either Claiborne or Richardson. While I'd be happy with either, I've been leaning toward the latter lately.
after missing out on RG3, I guess Id have to say the same about Richardson. I was never leaning in that direction, but this offense is near pathetic.I still expect the pick to be Claiborne, though
Funny I've been saying Claiborne but I'm starting to think it might be Blackmon.
think they could get someone closer to Blackmon's talent at #22 than they could Claiborne or Richardson...drop off at the CB and RB positions is much steeper, no?
CB - if we don't get Kirkpatrick, yes. RB, no. Doug Martin has the skills to be the next Ray Rice. I like Lamar Miller too, but not as much as Martin. After those 3 I think the RB pool thins out though.However, I think the problem with going Claiborne is that then we HAVE to get a RB and WR with picks 22 and 36 and the rest of the league will know it. We'll have to trade up to get those guys. Probably would be wise to just take one at 4 then re-evaliuate at 22.

At this point I think the #4 is either Claiborne or Richardson. While I'd be happy with either, I've been leaning toward the latter lately.
after missing out on RG3, I guess Id have to say the same about Richardson. I was never leaning in that direction, but this offense is near pathetic.I still expect the pick to be Claiborne, though
At the beginning of all this speculation Clairborne was the guy coming out of Berea at #4. I get it, certainly wouldn't ##### about getting a lock down CB to team up with Haden but with the extension to Patterson and Hillis bolting for KC, Richardson is certainly on the radar screen now. Is Chris Ogbonnaya still on the roster? I've heard Hardesty's name but surely the Browns won't put their eggs in that broke basket, right?

At the beginning of all this speculation Clairborne was the guy coming out of Berea at #4. I get it, certainly wouldn't ##### about getting a lock down CB to team up with Haden but with the extension to Patterson and Hillis bolting for KC, Richardson is certainly on the radar screen now. Is Chris Ogbonnaya still on the roster? I've heard Hardesty's name but surely the Browns won't put their eggs in that broke basket, right?
Don't forget BJax!

Don't forget BJax!
Wow, sure did. Judging from their moves thus far, the Browns might feel set at the RB position which will then dictate CB or WR at the #4 pick.
Hardesty has proven to be in the middle of unreliable injurywise and adequate. He shown he can get tough yards, but his hands suck. He's not a weapon. Jackson isn't special either. Richardson is explosive, gives them the rush to the outside, and will be a play action threat. There really isn't any negatives on him.

Don't forget BJax!
Wow, sure did. Judging from their moves thus far, the Browns might feel set at the RB position which will then dictate CB or WR at the #4 pick.
Hardesty has proven to be in the middle of unreliable injurywise and adequate. He shown he can get tough yards, but his hands suck. He's not a weapon. Jackson isn't special either. Richardson is explosive, gives them the rush to the outside, and will be a play action threat. There really isn't any negatives on him.
Oh I agree with you, I'm just not sure the Browns do.

Mitchell Released

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have released defensive end Jayme Mitchell today, the team announced.

Mitchell, who started 13 games for the Browns at right end last season, became expendable when the Browns signed former Bengals defensive end Frostee Rucker and former Eagles defensive end Juqua Parker.

Rucker said he's been told he'll start at right end, and Parker will be a backup. The Browns had high hopes for Mitchelll as a pas-rush threat, but he managed only 1.5 sacks after swapping sides with Jabaal Sheard, who led the team with 8.5 sacks.

Mitchell lost his starting job to Emmanuel Stephens in week nine, but got it back in week 12 after Stephens suffered a season-ending pectoral injury. Mitchell was acquired in a trade with the Vikings in 2010.

The Browns also officially announced the re-signing of cornerback Dimitri Patterson and the signing of unrestricted free agent defensive end Juqua Parker from the Eagles.

Mitchell Released

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have released defensive end Jayme Mitchell today, the team announced.

Mitchell, who started 13 games for the Browns at right end last season, became expendable when the Browns signed former Bengals defensive end Frostee Rucker and former Eagles defensive end Juqua Parker.

Rucker said he's been told he'll start at right end, and Parker will be a backup. The Browns had high hopes for Mitchelll as a pas-rush threat, but he managed only 1.5 sacks after swapping sides with Jabaal Sheard, who led the team with 8.5 sacks.

Mitchell lost his starting job to Emmanuel Stephens in week nine, but got it back in week 12 after Stephens suffered a season-ending pectoral injury. Mitchell was acquired in a trade with the Vikings in 2010.

The Browns also officially announced the re-signing of cornerback Dimitri Patterson and the signing of unrestricted free agent defensive end Juqua Parker from the Eagles.
I really like the Frostee and Parker signings. We needed help against the run and got it at a decent price. Not to mention, we weakened Cincy. I'd like a better bookend for Sheard, but it's a solid temporary solution that can be addressed in 2013 or 2014. Same with Patterson although I had visions of pick 6es running through my head with the potential of Claiborne coming.As per Mark Kay, we may be done for this wave of free agency. Shame, because Eric Winston is young, would make a good RT, and be a great Brown and probably can be had at a fair price. However, as there always are, there will be training camp cuts to pick from as well.

It's still up in the air but the only certain thing we have going right now is the fact that with a complete offseason to prepare, even if we lose, we'll look a little better doing so. Last year was a sloppy mess.

Mitchell Released

I just want to point out that Tom Heckert is on the record as saying that Jayme Mitchell was the best pass rusher on the team (prior to drafting Sheard).Huge swing and a miss there. Hopefully Frostee will prove to be a solid, ice cold end rusher. :banned:

Right now I have the Browns draft as:

1.04 Claiborne

1.22 traded to 49ers

1.30 (from 49ers) OT Mike Adams

2.04 WR Alshon Jeffrey

3.04 DT Billie Winn

3.30 (from 49ers) RB

I think Mike Adams is the Browns main target with the release of Pashos. They will take a RT high because they want him to step in right away. They don't have time to develop a RT. They would be selecting Adams a bit high at 1.22, which is actually perfect because it allows Heckert to trade down several spots from 1.22 to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick. That extra pick could be used on an RB. The 49ers want a WR so I have them sending their 3rd round pick to Cleveland to swap first rounders so the 49ers can draft WR Kendall Wright.

Here is a write up from back in February about the Browns high interest in OT Mike Adams.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/nfl-scouting-combine-potential-target-file-browns-talk-to-ohio-state-s-mike-adams-about-playing-right-tackle-1.266468

NFL Scouting Combine: Potential target file - Browns talk to Ohio State’s Mike Adams about playing right tackle

By Nate Ulrich

Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: February 23, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams

Height: 6-foot-7.

Weight: 323 pounds.

NFLDraftScout.com projection: First- or second-round pick.

Breakdown: Adams met with media today at the NFL Scouting Combine and said the Browns and the Washington Redskins have talked to him about playing right tackle. Adams played left tackle for the Buckeyes, but he’s willing to move to the other side of the line. “I’m open to do whatever a team needs me to do,” Adams said. The Browns might be looking to upgrade at right tackle because starter Tony Pashos has been plagued by injuries and struggled in pass protection the past two seasons. When asked Wednesday if the Browns need to upgrade at right tackle, Shurmur mentioned last year’s starter, Tony Pashos, but Shurmur also said, “We’ll have to see who’s going to play there at this point.” Adams might be a player the Browns could target with the 22nd overall pick. “I think my athleticism and blocking space is definitely my strength,” Adams said. “I like to play through the whistle in the run game. I would say that (I need to improve) my consistency of technique in pass play. I get my hands a little bit too wide sometimes and maybe over-setting are two things that I definitely need to work on.” Adams was suspended for the first five games of his senior season at Ohio State because of his involvement in the tattoo scandal that led to coach Jim Tressel’s forced resignation. “I think my character is something that my teammates and coaches at Ohio State will vouch for,” Adams said. “Anybody that knows me knows that I’m not a bad guy. I might have made some mistakes, but I definitely learned from them.”

'Fallerjw said:
'Multiple Scores said:
'rizzler said:
If we take Blackmon at 4, we did it wrong.very wrong.
Agree.
Disagree. 232 catches3,300 yards38 TD last two years
I know the numbers.I've seen him play.I smell a Michael Crabtree v2.0Taking a WR that early who is nowhere near the calibre of say, a Calvin johnson, is moronic, IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that before or after Adams lifted like a CB?

I still can see us drafting Blackmon for StL, grabbing TRich or Claiborne at 6 while adding another pick, then using 22 and some extra ammo to move back up and get somebody else like Floyd. What are the rumblings coming out of Tampa? Is TRich still a strong candidate to fall into the teens? TRich AND Cla possible?

'Riversco said:
Right now I have the Browns draft as:

1.04 Claiborne

1.22 traded to 49ers

1.30 (from 49ers) OT Mike Adams

2.04 WR Alshon Jeffrey

3.04 DT Billie Winn

3.30 (from 49ers) RB

I think Mike Adams is the Browns main target with the release of Pashos. They will take a RT high because they want him to step in right away. They don't have time to develop a RT. They would be selecting Adams a bit high at 1.22, which is actually perfect because it allows Heckert to trade down several spots from 1.22 to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick. That extra pick could be used on an RB. The 49ers want a WR so I have them sending their 3rd round pick to Cleveland to swap first rounders so the 49ers can draft WR Kendall Wright.

Here is a write up from back in February about the Browns high interest in OT Mike Adams.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/nfl-scouting-combine-potential-target-file-browns-talk-to-ohio-state-s-mike-adams-about-playing-right-tackle-1.266468

NFL Scouting Combine: Potential target file - Browns talk to Ohio State’s Mike Adams about playing right tackle

By Nate Ulrich

Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: February 23, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams

Height: 6-foot-7.

Weight: 323 pounds.

NFLDraftScout.com projection: First- or second-round pick.

Breakdown: Adams met with media today at the NFL Scouting Combine and said the Browns and the Washington Redskins have talked to him about playing right tackle. Adams played left tackle for the Buckeyes, but he’s willing to move to the other side of the line. “I’m open to do whatever a team needs me to do,” Adams said. The Browns might be looking to upgrade at right tackle because starter Tony Pashos has been plagued by injuries and struggled in pass protection the past two seasons. When asked Wednesday if the Browns need to upgrade at right tackle, Shurmur mentioned last year’s starter, Tony Pashos, but Shurmur also said, “We’ll have to see who’s going to play there at this point.” Adams might be a player the Browns could target with the 22nd overall pick. “I think my athleticism and blocking space is definitely my strength,” Adams said. “I like to play through the whistle in the run game. I would say that (I need to improve) my consistency of technique in pass play. I get my hands a little bit too wide sometimes and maybe over-setting are two things that I definitely need to work on.” Adams was suspended for the first five games of his senior season at Ohio State because of his involvement in the tattoo scandal that led to coach Jim Tressel’s forced resignation. “I think my character is something that my teammates and coaches at Ohio State will vouch for,” Adams said. “Anybody that knows me knows that I’m not a bad guy. I might have made some mistakes, but I definitely learned from them.”
If that's our draft then I am going to start working on Sunday's and change my weekend to Friday + Saturday.

Was that before or after Adams lifted like a CB?I still can see us drafting Blackmon for StL, grabbing TRich or Claiborne at 6 while adding another pick, then using 22 and some extra ammo to move back up and get somebody else like Floyd. What are the rumblings coming out of Tampa? Is TRich still a strong candidate to fall into the teens? TRich AND Cla possible?
I think they are still taking Adams.

I really had my hopes up that Manning would choose the Titans, and the Browns would trade for Hasselbeck.

Oh well.

Back to life. Back to reality. :bag:

I really had my hopes up that Manning would choose the Titans, and the Browns would trade for Hasselbeck. Oh well.Back to life. Back to reality. :bag:
Never understood the Hasselbeck angle. All that would do is possibly save the regime from hanging themselves for another year. What's the best case? 7-9? with no progress to the future? Colt's a better choice. Sink or swim.

I really had my hopes up that Manning would choose the Titans, and the Browns would trade for Hasselbeck. Oh well.Back to life. Back to reality. :bag:
Never understood the Hasselbeck angle. All that would do is possibly save the regime from hanging themselves for another year. What's the best case? 7-9? with no progress to the future? Colt's a better choice. Sink or swim.
I get what you're saying. But Hass knows the system and I thought could be a good mentor for Colt. Let him see what the offensive is supposed to look like for a while before taking the reigns back himself. Doesn't matter now, I suppose.

I get what you're saying. But Hass knows the system and I thought could be a good mentor for Colt. Let him see what the offensive is supposed to look like for a while before taking the reigns back himself. Doesn't matter now, I suppose.
I'm all for a vet coming in to teach Colt as long as it doesn't mean they start in front of him, I assume that's what Hass would do. Delhomme was a great mentor to Colt and was sorely missed last year. We need that sort of vet, not one to take the job.

I'm all for a vet coming in to teach Colt as long as it doesn't mean they start in front of him, I assume that's what Hass would do. Delhomme was a great mentor to Colt and was sorely missed last year. We need that sort of vet, not one to take the job.
Makes sense. Wallace hasn't been that guy.

I'm starting to think that Weeden might drop to the 3rd round. There are only so many teams who really struggled at the QB position, haven't filled it this offseason, and would be willing to take a QB early:

Arizona

Miami - will likely take Tannehill

Jacksonville - will likely stick with Gabbert as he's a high 1st rounder

Minnesota - will likely stick with Ponder as he's a high 1st rounder

Teams like Indianapolis, Washington, and Seattle have obviously found their answers at QB.

If Arizona passes on Weeden, who else would take him? If he's there in the 3rd I say we grab him and give Colt some competition.

While I am not crazy about Tebow. I have to agree he is a winner and his potential/durability is much greater than McCoy. If The Browns can get him for a 3rd rounder as reported on ESPN, I say do it and add some excitement to the Browns. McCoy is a place holder until we find someone better and I don't want to wait another 2-3 years for them to figure that out.

Clipped from Peter King's MMQB...

Free agency: The idiotic part.

This is possibly the most over-covered week of anything we do in writing about the league, this first week of free agency. I knew it had gotten totally out of control on Saturday when Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted: "Amazingly, I'm sensing angst among some Giants fans again about Jerry Reese's lack of offseason action.''

Reese is the general manager of the New York Giants. He has had the job five years. He is notoriously slow off the draw in free agency, and he is not alone. In recent years, noted GMs and personnel czars like Ted Thompson (Green Bay), Mickey Loomis (New Orleans), Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh) and Bill Polian (Indianapolis) have let the free agency field settle down before going after players of moderate cost. In the last six seasons, those franchise architects -- Reese, Thompson, Loomis, Colbert, Polian -- have won every Super Bowl. Not saying the patient way is the only way to team-build, but come on. Reese did nothing big in 2007 and 2011 and won the Super Bowl both times.

Relax, people.

While I am not crazy about Tebow. I have to agree he is a winner and his potential/durability is much greater than McCoy. If The Browns can get him for a 3rd rounder as reported on ESPN, I say do it and add some excitement to the Browns. McCoy is a place holder until we find someone better and I don't want to wait another 2-3 years for them to figure that out.
If we're keeping the seat warm for Barkley, we may as well trade for Tebow for some excitement and suck interestingly.

If we're keeping the seat warm for Barkley, we may as well trade for Tebow for some excitement and suck interestingly.
We can say Tebow sucks, but what we have is really any better?? 3rd lowest in points scored last year, we need to beef up the offensive alot and it appears the Browns are sitting their hands. Tebow finds ways to win and wins are what we need.

We can say Tebow sucks, but what we have is really any better?? 3rd lowest in points scored last year, we need to beef up the offensive alot and it appears the Browns are sitting their hands. Tebow finds ways to win and wins are what we need.
BrownsHolmgren is a WCO guy. Check.

Holmgren has an ego. Check.

Heckert is a WCO guy. Check.

Shurmur is a WCO guy. Check.

Childress is a WCO guy. Check.

The WCO is an offense built on timing and quick, accurate passes. Check.

None of these guys have ever shown a want or ability to adjust based on a player's skill set. Check.

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

EDIT: I love Tebow. I just don't see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

None of these guys have ever shown a want or ability to adjust based on a player's skill set. Check.

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

I think you nailed it with that one and everything else is secondary. Browns are going to have a top 10 draft pick next year too if the status quo continues.

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

Browns are going to have a top 10 draft pick next year too if the status quo continues.
fixed

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

I think you nailed it with that one and everything else is secondary. Browns are going to have a top 10 draft pick next year too if the status quo continues.
Yes, we will have a top 10 draft pick if we continue to lose games. Or do you mean to say we will have a top 10 pick if Holmgren still has an ego?Let me guess- you think the Browns aren't showing enough "urgency"?

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

Yes, we will have a top 10 draft pick if we continue to lose games. Or do you mean to say we will have a top 10 pick if Holmgren still has an ego?Let me guess- you think the Browns aren't showing enough "urgency"?
That's the key word. Urgency. When we have two "role player" free agents in for a visit when we have many more holes than we have draft picks, urgency will be called into question. I think it's fair to ask for patience, but I also think it's fair for the fans to start demanding some accountability from Holmgren in particular.

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

:goodposting: And the lack of urgency is a huge long term issue imho. From what I've seen, it's carried over to the play on the field. That has to change and it won't until there is a sense of urgency in this organization.

'NJDawgPound said:
'nxmehta said:
'Orlando RMF said:
'NJDawgPound said:
'Orlando RMF said:
'NJDawgPound said:
'Orlando RMF said:

Tebow

Quick passes? No.

Timing? No.

Accurate? No.

That's the key word. Urgency. When we have two "role player" free agents in for a visit when we have many more holes than we have draft picks, urgency will be called into question. I think it's fair to ask for patience, but I also think it's fair for the fans to start demanding some accountability from Holmgren in particular.
Just to expand on that, no one is expecting the money to be thrown around and cap space to be eaten up like the Redskins. But there were (and still are) people that fit in within our long term plan that would have filled holes at a reasonable price. Not just plug ins, strong players. Eric Winston is one of them. Hell, in a West Coast Offense Danny Amendola is another.

'Menace said:
I'd like to see the Browns sign McNabb and use him to mentor Colt.
:no:
'NJDawgPound said:
'Menace said:
I'd like to see the Browns Knicks sign McNabb and use him to mentor Colt Jeremy Lin on his bounce passes.
Fixed.
:goodposting:
'Orlando RMF said:
While I am not crazy about Tebow. I have to agree he is a winner and his potential/durability is much greater than McCoy. If The Browns can get him for a 3rd rounder as reported on ESPN, I say do it and add some excitement to the Browns. McCoy is a place holder until we find someone better and I don't want to wait another 2-3 years for them to figure that's.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want it all! I want it all! I want it now!

I don't care if it's impossible. I don't care if everyone else is competing for the same limited commodities.

I want wins. I want playoffs. I want championships.

I want the front office to show emotions while they attempt the impossible. (just like Carmen Policy)

I want the quick fix. I want a savior. It worked for everyone else. The Browns are just inept.

They suck. They suck. Fire everyone. I want a winner. Fire everyone until morale improves.

I want. I want. I want... My mommie!

I want it all! I want it all! I want it now!I don't care if it's impossible. I don't care if everyone else is competing for the same limited commodities. I want wins. I want playoffs. I want championships. I want the front office to show emotions while they attempt the impossible. (just like Carmen Policy)I want the quick fix. I want a savior. It worked for everyone else. The Browns are just inept.They suck. They suck. Fire everyone. I want a winner. Fire everyone until morale improves.I want. I want. I want... My mommie!
I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOWBrowns fans == Veruca Salt

I want it all! I want it all! I want it now!I don't care if it's impossible. I don't care if everyone else is competing for the same limited commodities. I want wins. I want playoffs. I want championships. I want the front office to show emotions while they attempt the impossible. (just like Carmen Policy)I want the quick fix. I want a savior. It worked for everyone else. The Browns are just inept.They suck. They suck. Fire everyone. I want a winner. Fire everyone until morale improves.I want. I want. I want... My mommie!
No, Browns fans = Charlie Bucket and Grandpa, before the chocolate factory.

And the flames are fanned constantly by the d-bags on local sports talk radio.

And the flames are fanned constantly by the d-bags on local sports talk radio.
I agree with you all about Goldhammer but I haven't listened long enough for him to drown out my love for Riz. . .yet. Thankfully I missed yesterdays show as I can only imagine that douchebags take on Manning.

Users who are viewing this thread