What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

And the flames are fanned constantly by the d-bags on local sports talk radio.
I agree with you all about Goldhammer but I haven't listened long enough for him to drown out my love for Riz. . .yet. Thankfully I missed yesterdays show as I can only imagine that douchebags take on Manning.
I suffered through it because local radio here is even worse....But it was awful.....just plain awful.

I agree with you all about Goldhammer but I haven't listened long enough for him to drown out my love for Riz. . .yet. Thankfully I missed yesterdays show as I can only imagine that douchebags take on Manning.
I suffered through it because local radio here is even worse....But it was awful.....just plain awful.
It's really becoming unlistenable. Bigfoot? Really?I like Kylie and Booms on 92.3 in the morning (although Booms has gone a little off the deep end on the H&H thing) but the rest of the shows on that station are meh.

It's really becoming unlistenable. Bigfoot? Really?I like Kylie and Booms on 92.3 in the morning (although Booms has gone a little off the deep end on the H&H thing) but the rest of the shows on that station are meh.
:goodposting: Booms is clueless about what H&H are trying to do.

I'm glad I don't have the opportunity to listen everyday for long periods of time or I'd probably be griping too.

On the other hand, I have found The Fan listenable, informative, and just overall pretty darn good. Even Booms sometimes, but he's starting to wear on me. I think overall they put together a solid lineup. Their programming certainly trumps Rome and the Hooligans (although I do switch between Hools and Bull/Fox depending on the discussion). And they are just starting to tap into being the "official" station for local sports starting with the Gladiators. I don't know how the teams contracts work with 850 and 1100, but I'm sure they are very aware of whats going on on the FM dial.

I'm glad I don't have the opportunity to listen everyday for long periods of time or I'd probably be griping too. On the other hand, I have found The Fan listenable, informative, and just overall pretty darn good. Even Booms sometimes, but he's starting to wear on me. I think overall they put together a solid lineup. Their programming certainly trumps Rome and the Hooligans (although I do switch between Hools and Bull/Fox depending on the discussion). And they are just starting to tap into being the "official" station for local sports starting with the Gladiators. I don't know how the teams contracts work with 850 and 1100, but I'm sure they are very aware of whats going on on the FM dial.
I like Rizz, but can't stand the rest of that show. When I have to go somewhere for work between 9 and 1 it's usually tolerable. Don't like anything else there and am glad The Fan has come in. Can only stand Booms for a 1/2 hour or so most mornings (his approach annoys the hell out of me but I don't think most of his non Tebow takes are too crazy) so I trusually get some work done before 10. Baskin & Phelps are usually pretty boring and bland so they keep me very productive, I just tune in for their interviews since they often get good ones. I probably get double the work done between 10 and 2 than I do the rest of the day. I stop being productive at 2 though, Bull & Fox are solid.

I'm glad I don't have the opportunity to listen everyday for long periods of time or I'd probably be griping too. On the other hand, I have found The Fan listenable, informative, and just overall pretty darn good. Even Booms sometimes, but he's starting to wear on me. I think overall they put together a solid lineup. Their programming certainly trumps Rome and the Hooligans (although I do switch between Hools and Bull/Fox depending on the discussion). And they are just starting to tap into being the "official" station for local sports starting with the Gladiators. I don't know how the teams contracts work with 850 and 1100, but I'm sure they are very aware of whats going on on the FM dial.
I like Rizz, but can't stand the rest of that show. When I have to go somewhere for work between 9 and 1 it's usually tolerable. Don't like anything else there and am glad The Fan has come in. Can only stand Booms for a 1/2 hour or so most mornings (his approach annoys the hell out of me but I don't think most of his non Tebow takes are too crazy) so I trusually get some work done before 10. Baskin & Phelps are usually pretty boring and bland so they keep me very productive, I just tune in for their interviews since they often get good ones. I probably get double the work done between 10 and 2 than I do the rest of the day. I stop being productive at 2 though, Bull & Fox are solid.
Huh. I don't get the Bull and Fox thing. Bull is ok but his voice grates on me. Fox is Mr. Agree With Everything/State the Obvious. And outside of football doesn't really strike me as knowing much about sports.Agree that Baskin and Phelps are very bland. Hooligans would be better if they dumped Brinda. He's just loud and negative. Rome jumped the shark 5 or 6 years ago.

Huh. I don't get the Bull and Fox thing. Bull is ok but his voice grates on me. Fox is Mr. Agree With Everything/State the Obvious. And outside of football doesn't really strike me as knowing much about sports.Agree that Baskin and Phelps are very bland. Hooligans would be better if they dumped Brinda. He's just loud and negative. Rome jumped the shark 5 or 6 years ago.
I guess I like them because they have good, strong opinions about football. My two professional sports I follow are baseball and football and the LAST place I go for opinions on baseball is talk radio.Brinda ruined afternoon radio on 850, they need Reghi back. Bad.

Greg Brinda is by FAR the worst offender on radio. Holy hell that guy is bad. All he does is ##### and moan and he never comes up with any solutions of his own. In fact, most of the time when he's asked about what the Browns should do, he's like, I dunno. Real helpful, guy. When Chris Fedor is the most reasonable guy on your show you've got a problem.

I actually love Rizz, enough to tolerate Goldhammer. Rizz is worth it just for some of the guests he has on. Brian Windhorst being my favorite.

I haven't listened to the Fan yet. I'm not local so I get everything through podcasts... looking at their site I see stuff for these shows:

Kiley & Booms

Baskin & Phelps

Bull & Fox

Ken Carman

What do you guys recommend? Kiley & Booms mostly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Brinda is by FAR the worst offender on radio. Holy hell that guy is bad. All he does is ##### and moan and he never comes up with any solutions of his own. In fact, most of the time when he's asked about what the Browns should do, he's like, I dunno. Real helpful, guy. When Chris Fedor is the most reasonable guy on your show you've got a problem.I actually love Rizz, enough to tolerate Goldhammer. Rizz is worth it just for some of the guests he has on. Brian Windhorst being my favorite.I haven't listened to the Fan yet. I'm not local so I get everything through podcasts... looking at their site I see stuff for these shows:Kiley & BoomsBaskin & PhelpsBull & FoxKen CarmanWhat do you guys recommend? Kiley & Booms mostly?
30 mins of Kiley/Booms (usually garbage interviews except when they have Coach Sam on in-season), Baskin/Phelps interviews only, 30 mins of Bull/Fox at the beginning and middle of the show (and if they have any interviews), first 30 mins of Carman.That should leave you satisfied and usually not pissed off unless Booms goes on a nonsensical tangent. He goes on tangents every day, but it usually gets nonsensical a couple of times/week. Sometimes it's entertaining. His take on how Bernie should be running the Browns this morning was $

It seems like 1100's reception gets worse every year here in Central Ohio. Are they my best bet for Cleveland sports talk down here?
No. 92.3 is better. 850 is good in small doses for Rizzo from 9-1 and when Brinda's off of the 3-6 show. When they get Reghi back in that slot I'll listen more.

It seems like 1100's reception gets worse every year here in Central Ohio. Are they my best bet for Cleveland sports talk down here?
No. 92.3 is better. 850 is good in small doses for Rizzo from 9-1 and when Brinda's off of the 3-6 show. When they get Reghi back in that slot I'll listen more.
Thanks, I'll check those stations out. I'm more looking for 7:15 to 8:30 A.M. and 4:45 to 6:00 P.M. I'll try at work, but the concrete buildings are a reception killer.

bpa

they still need starters.

can someone explain to me why Richardon is better than Ingram? i honestly don't watch much college football.

Can stream all local radio thru the apps TuneIn Radio (850), iHeartRadio (1100), and CBS Cleveland (92.3).

I'm getting back on board with Richardson, especially if we can pull it off at 6 or another top 10 pick. I'm worried about the Bucs though at 5. As much as we need WR's, I don't hear enough positivity regarding Blackmon actually being worth our selection. Maybe the Vikes will let Kahil fall by taking Blackmon, that will open up a host of opportunities.

can someone explain to me why Richardon is better than Ingram? i honestly don't watch much college football.
Every facet of the game.
I agree. I got to see a lot of Bama games Ingrams last season and you could just see when Richardson came in how different they were. I like Ingram a lot too and think he is a very solid all around RB. But Trent in my eyes is the best RB since ADP. I know we have QB issues but at this point I want weapons. Even if we bring in a QB next year he is going to need them too and it will help to have some of the skill position guys a little more seasoned.

Can stream all local radio thru the apps TuneIn Radio (850), iHeartRadio (1100), and CBS Cleveland (92.3).I'm getting back on board with Richardson, especially if we can pull it off at 6 or another top 10 pick. I'm worried about the Bucs though at 5. As much as we need WR's, I don't hear enough positivity regarding Blackmon actually being worth our selection. Maybe the Vikes will let Kahil fall by taking Blackmon, that will open up a host of opportunities.
With the CB situation in TB I don't know how they pass on Claiborne. I know they just signed Eric Wright (we all know how we feel about him), but Barber is in his 16th season and Talib is not going to last. Perfect scenario for them is to take Claiborne as this is probably Barbers last run. But agree 100% about the Vikes. If they pass on Kalil, we should be able to get some nice offers for the #4.

Ok so at least they tried........

My link

Browns reportedly outbid for Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan

Posted by Josh Alper on March 26, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT

Getty Images

At some point this offseason, the Browns might want to try an approach that doesn’t call for them to go head-to-head with the Redskins.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, they are now 0-for-3 on that front. We all know about the Redskins coming up with a more compelling trade package for the Rams’ second overall pick which everyone expects will turn into Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. Cabot now brings word that two of the guys Griffin will throw to were also on the Browns’ radar screen.

Per the report, Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan were both pursued by the Browns before landing with the Redskins on the first day of free agency. Garcon signed a five-year deal worth $42.5 million with more than $21 million in guaranteed money. Morgan’s deal can also reach five years, but it is voidable after two seasons and comes with $7.5 million in guarantees.

The Browns haven’t shown much sign that they’re spending that kind of money in free agency so it is hard to say just how serious their pursuit of the two wide receivers got before they landed in Washington. The Browns haven’t signed any other free agent wide receivers since missing out on Garcon and Morgan, leaving them with Greg Little, Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi as their top three wideouts.

@TonyGrossi

At #NFL meetings, multiple teams expressing interest in #Browns No. 4 pick. #Browns are listening.
to go along with this....My link

Tom Heckert: Browns “fine with Colt McCoy,” may trade down

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT

AP

Colt McCoy’s hold on the starting quarterback job in Cleveland is getting stronger by the day.

After missing out on a trade up in the NFL draft for Robert Griffin III, the Browns’ brass has said repeatedly that McCoy has the team’s confidence, and General Manager Tom Heckert reiterated that today.

“We’re fine with Colt McCoy as our quarterback,” Heckert told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Heckert also said that the Browns might trade down from the No. 4 spot in the NFL draft, but “there’s no way” they’ll trade up into the Vikings’ No. 3 spot. That’s because, Heckert said, the Browns don’t have one particular player they’re definitely targeting, and instead have a handful of players they could take near the top of the draft.

“There’s five players we really like,” he said.

Heckert also said that the Browns would be open to trading down and have already had some feelers from teams that are interested in trading up to No. 4. But in order to get one of those five players the Browns really like, they would likely not trade down very far.

And at this point, it appears that those five players the Browns really like are all players who would be asked to contribute to a team on which McCoy is the starting quarterback.

@TonyGrossi

At #NFL meetings, multiple teams expressing interest in #Browns No. 4 pick. #Browns are listening.

AP

Colt McCoy’s hold on the starting quarterback job in Cleveland is getting stronger by the day.

After missing out on a trade up in the NFL draft for Robert Griffin III, the Browns’ brass has said repeatedly that McCoy has the team’s confidence, and General Manager Tom Heckert reiterated that today.

“We’re fine with Colt McCoy as our quarterback,” Heckert told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Heckert also said that the Browns might trade down from the No. 4 spot in the NFL draft, but “there’s no way” they’ll trade up into the Vikings’ No. 3 spot. That’s because, Heckert said, the Browns don’t have one particular player they’re definitely targeting, and instead have a handful of players they could take near the top of the draft.

Heckert also said that the Browns would be open to trading down and have already had some feelers from teams that are interested in trading up to No. 4. But in order to get one of those five players the Browns really like, they would likely not trade down very far.

And at this point, it appears that those five players the Browns really like are all players who would be asked to contribute to a team on which McCoy is the starting quarterback.
Trading down but staying in the top 10 has always been near the top of my wish list. Sounds like it's got a better than 50/50 chance of happening. :thumbup:

@TonyGrossi

AP

Trading down but staying in the top 10 has always been near the top of my wish list. Sounds like it's got a better than 50/50 chance of happening. :thumbup:
Mine too. Trade down 3-4 spots, pick up a first next year or a 2nd and something else. Hope it happens so we can see all the idiots come out of the woodwork -- "what the hell? St Louis traded down 4 spots and got 3 firsts and a second. How come we move down 4 spots and only get a 2nd and a 3rd?? H&H are sooooo stupid!!!"

compensatory pick announced. 4 more picks for us to play with. 2 6th's and 2 7th's

My link

NFL announces 32 compensatory draft choices to 15 teams

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT

[Editor's note: The NFL has formally announced the awarding of compensatory picks for the 2012 NFL draft. The league's full announcement appears below.]

A total of 32 compensatory choices in the 2012 NFL Draft have been awarded to 15 teams, the NFL announced today.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The 32 compensatory choices announced today will supplement the 221 choices in the seven rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft (April 26-28), which will kick off in primetime for the third consecutive year.

The first round will be held on Thursday, April 26 and begin at 8:00 PM ET. The second and third rounds are set for Friday, April 27 at 7:00 PM ET followed by rounds 4-7 on Saturday, April 28 at Noon ET.

This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Three clubs this year (Atlanta, San Diego and Buffalo) will each receive a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents lost by these clubs were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

Thirty compensatory picks were awarded to clubs based upon the compensatory pick formula. By rule, two additional choices were awarded at the end of the seventh round to bring the total number of compensatory selections to 32, equaling the number of NFL clubs. The two additional picks were awarded to St. Louis and Indianapolis based upon the 2012 draft selection order.

The following 2012 compensatory draft picks have been determined by the NFL Management Council:

ROUND/OVERALL SELECTION/TEAM

3/95/Oakland

4/128/Minnesota

4/129/Oakland

4/130/Baltimore

4/131/New York Giants

4/132/Green Bay

4/133/Green Bay

4/134/Minnesota

4/135/Dallas

5/168/Oakland

5/169/Baltimore

5/170/Indianapolis

6/202/New York Jets

6/203/New York Jets

6/204/Cleveland

6/205/Cleveland

6/206/Indianapolis

6/207/Carolina

7/240/Pittsburgh

7/241/Green Bay

7/242/New York Jets

7/243/Green Bay

7/244/New York Jets

7/245/Cleveland

7/246/Pittsburgh

7/247/Cleveland

7/248/Pittsburgh

7/249/Atlanta

7/250/San Diego

7/251/Buffalo

7/252/St. Louis

7/253/Indianapolis

Following are the compensatory free agents lost and signed last year by the clubs that will receive compensatory picks in the 2012 NFL Draft:

ATLANTA

Lost:

Harvey Dahl, Michael Koenen

Signed:

Ray Edwards, Reggie Kelly

BALTIMORE

Lost:

Chris Chester, Dawan Landry, Le’Ron McClain, Donte’ Stallworth, Josh Wilson

Signed:

Vonta Leach, Bernard Pollard, Ricky Williams

BUFFALO

Lost:

Paul Posluszny, Donte Whitner

Signed:

Brad Smith, Tyler Thigpen

CAROLINA

Lost:

Jeff King, Richard Marshall, Matt Moore

Signed:

Ron Edwards, Olindo Mare

CLEVELAND

Lost:

Abram Elam, Matt Roth, Chansi Stuckey, Jason Trusnik, Lawrence Vickers, Floyd Womack, Eric Wright

Signed:

Brandon Jackson, Dimitri Patterson, Usama Young

DALLAS

Lost:

Stephen Bowen, Sam Hurd

Signed:

Abram Elam

GREEN BAY

Lost:

Daryn Colledge, Korey Hall, Brandon Jackson, Cullen Jenkins, Jason Spitz

INDIANAPOLIS

Lost:

Charlie Johnson, Clint Session

MINNESOTA

Lost:

Ray Edwards, Ben Leber, Tarvaris Jackson, Sidney Rice

Signed:

Remi Ayodele, Charlie Johnson

NEW YORK GIANTS

Lost:

Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield, Steve Smith

Signed:

David Baas, Steve Weatherford

NEW YORK JETS

Lost:

Drew Coleman, Braylon Edwards, Shaun Ellis, Brad Smith, Steve Weatherford

OAKLAND

Lost:

Nnamdi Asomugha, Robert Gallery, Bruce Gradkowski, Zach Miller, Thomas Howard

Signed:

Kevin Boss, Stephen Heyer

PITTSBURGH

Lost:

Nick Eason, Keyaron Fox, Matt Spaeth

SAN DIEGO

Lost:

Kevin Burnett, Darren Sproles

Signed:

Travis LaBoy, Takeo Spikes

TOTAL 2012 NFL COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICKS

Cleveland: 4

Green Bay: 4

New York Jets: 4

Indianapolis: 3

Oakland: 3

Pittsburgh: 3

Baltimore: 2

Minnesota: 2

Atlanta: 1

Buffalo: 1

Carolina: 1

Dallas: 1

New York Giants: 1

St. Louis: 1

San Diego: 1

TOTAL: 32

Wow, 13 picks is a TON. I believe compensatory picks can't be traded, but still, hopefully we'll do some moving around in this draft, and picking up more picks for next year.

'nxmehta said:
Wow, 13 picks is a TON. I believe compensatory picks can't be traded, but still, hopefully we'll do some moving around in this draft, and picking up more picks for next year.
Good. Use the extra picks on some special team specialists and make that unit the strength that it was when Brad Seely was here.

I'd be on board with moving down if we could still get Richardson or Blackmon with the new pick. Cleveland needs offense, desperately.

How about we DON'T move down for once and just draft an offensive weapon?

I seriously expected us to get RG3, but that debacle has left me sour.

Get Richardson, and let's go from there.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/03/cleveland_browns_gm_tom_hecker_13.html'>My link

Cleveland Browns GM Tom Heckert guarantees Browns won't trade up to No. 3, will consider trading down "a few spots''

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Browns General Manager Tom Heckert ruled out a trade up to No. 3 in the draft, but will consider trading back as far as No. 8, he told the Plain Dealer Monday.

There's been speculation some teams might try to trade with Minnesota to get the man they really want, especially if they think the Browns will take him at No. 4.

"We're not trading up, I guarantee that," Heckert said. "There's going to be five guys that we really like and we're going to get a really good player at number four. But we could still get a really good player at five, six, seven, eight too."

He stressed that the Browns won't make the same kind of blockbuster deal they did with Atlanta last season. The Browns moved from No. 6 to No. 27 and netted an extra first-round pick, two fourths and a second. The Falcons, in turn, selected wide receiver Julio Jones.

"We're not going to go way down and make the trade we did last year," he said. "When [president] Mike Holmgren said he'd discourage a trade down, I believe he meant one that far down."

He said the Browns have identified five players they like, and that they could stay at No. 4. "But if you can go back a few spots and still get the player we want, then we'll do it." The Fab Five is believed to be largely from this group: Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, Alabama running back Trent Richardson, Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill and USC tackle Matt Kalil.

He said teams at the NFL owners meetings have already put out feelers about the fourth pick. The Rams at No. 6 are believed to like Blackmon and the Dolphins at No. 8 might like Tannehill, but it's unknown if those teams have made contact.

"We've talked to a few people, but it's still way early," he said.

Heckert said he believes the Browns' phone will ring on draft day for teams wanting to trade up. But that doesn't mean the Browns will deal.

"It's still early," he said. "When we bring all of those guys in, we might fall in love with one of them and say 'hey, we've got to have this guy.' If there's somebody that's head and shoulders [the best], we're going to stay there and take him no matter what. If there's not, there's really no reason not to [accept a trade]."

Is there anyone head and shoulders above the rest right now?

"Right now, no," he said. "They're all pretty good. It's going to be a good choice."

If the Browns stay at No. 4, they're likely to end up with Blackmon or Claiborne. Despite the Browns' overwhelming need for offensive weapons, Heckert said Claiborne has to be on their radar.

"We don't think we're going to take a defensive guy, but it would tough to pass on him," said Heckert. "He's really, really good."

He said Claiborne's surgery on Friday to repair a torn ligament wasn't an issue.

"No, we knew all about it and he waited until after his workouts to do it," he said. "It's not a big deal. He'll be fine."

Likewise, he said the fact the Browns passed on Jones at No. 6 last year wouldn't stop them from taking Blackmon this year.

"That had nothing to do with the player," said Heckert. "We loved Julio Jones. It had everything to do with the deal we were able to make."

He said the Browns might also have to give serious thought to Kalil if the Vikings don't take him -- or if a team trades up No. 3 and takes someone else.

"We really don't know what Minnesota's going to do," he said. "If they don't take him, we'd have to think about drafting him too."

As for Tannehill, Heckert said the Browns really like him, "but we've got Colt. That's kind of our deal. That doesn't mean we're not going to take somebody, but we're fine with Colt as our quarterback."

He said ideally he'd like to draft at least two offensive playmakers with the first three picks (the fourth, 22nd and 37th overall) but "you never know who's going to be there at 22 or 37. We'll add offensive players, we're just not sure where."

He said the Browns have the chance to transform their team with those first three picks.

"We think we'll do that," he said. "We're looking forward to it."

Other Heckert tidbits

• He re-iterated that the Browns "are fine with Colt McCoy as our quarterback. We think he's going to be much better this season.'' He said questions about McCoy's arm strength are unfounded.

• He did not rule out the Browns signing former Bengals running back Cedric Benson at some point this off-season. Not on the front burner, but possible.

• He said the Browns are at least contemplating the possibility of being without linebacker Scott Fujita for a few games if he gets penalized for paying teammates for big plays while with the Saints in 2009. "Of course, we hope nothing happens,'' he said.

• He said talk that players don't want to come here is "crazy. We had great talks with a lot of people and people think we are going in the right direction. It's really the exact opposite. The people we've talked to, it has nothing do with Cleveland. They want to play here. There's a reason why D'Qwell Jackson wanted to come back here. We signed Joe Thomas. Joe told us he wouldn't have signed back here if he didn't think we were going in the right direction. So I think there's a lot of positive things.''

• He said he hasn't closed the door on re-signing guard Eric Steinbach, but nothing is imminent.

• He said defensive end Marcus Benard is recovered from his broken hand and ready to participate in off-season practices.

Boy this thread can get a guy down
Then this should help. My link

Browns will bring in Ryan Tannehill for pre-draft visit

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT

Getty Images

Although Browns coach Pat Shurmur says his team is moving forward with Colt McCoy at quarterback, drafting Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill remains a possibility.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns will bring in Tannehill as one of their 30 pre-draft visits. That doesn’t necessarily mean the Browns view Tannehill as their best bet with the fourth overall pick in the NFL draft, but it’s still a move they’re considering. And NFL Network’s Mike Mayock endorsed Tannehill as the player the Browns should take.

“Franchise quarterback trumps all,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “We talk about that all the time, and I don’t believe Colt McCoy is the answer. And I do believe Ryan Tannehill could become the answer. So I believe at No. 4 they ought to pull the trigger on Tannehill.”

The question is whether they’d be passing up on an offensive playmaker they love when they pulled the trigger on Tannehill. Alabama running back Trent Richardson and Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon are other potential targets for the Browns at No. 4. But Mayock said the Browns would be better off drafting Tannehill at No. 4 and then using their second first-round pick, the 22nd overall selection they acquired from the Falcons in last year’s Julio Jones trade, on a running back or receiver.

“Don’t forget, Cleveland’s got No. 22 in the first round,” Mayock said. “So don’t look at this as just No. 4. You’re trying to come out of this draft the best you can. And if you want a tailback because you lost Peyton Hillis, how about Doug Martin? How about David Wilson? At No. 22 you can get one of those tailbacks. If you need a wide receiver at No. 22, what about Kendall Wright? The way I think they have to look at this thing is, go get the franchise quarterback, sit him on the bench for a little bit behind Colt McCoy, get him comfortable, and then at 22 get yourself a playmaker.”

Fourth overall is higher than most people think Tannehill will go. But if the Browns think there’s a chance Tannehill will be their franchise quarterback for years to come, they can’t pass him up.

Getty Images

Although Browns coach Pat Shurmur says his team is moving forward with Colt McCoy at quarterback, drafting Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill remains a possibility.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns will bring in Tannehill as one of their 30 pre-draft visits. That doesn’t necessarily mean the Browns view Tannehill as their best bet with the fourth overall pick in the NFL draft, but it’s still a move they’re considering. And NFL Network’s Mike Mayock endorsed Tannehill as the player the Browns should take.

“Franchise quarterback trumps all,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “We talk about that all the time, and I don’t believe Colt McCoy is the answer. And I do believe Ryan Tannehill could become the answer. So I believe at No. 4 they ought to pull the trigger on Tannehill.”

The question is whether they’d be passing up on an offensive playmaker they love when they pulled the trigger on Tannehill. Alabama running back Trent Richardson and Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon are other potential targets for the Browns at No. 4. But Mayock said the Browns would be better off drafting Tannehill at No. 4 and then using their second first-round pick, the 22nd overall selection they acquired from the Falcons in last year’s Julio Jones trade, on a running back or receiver.

“Don’t forget, Cleveland’s got No. 22 in the first round,” Mayock said. “So don’t look at this as just No. 4. You’re trying to come out of this draft the best you can. And if you want a tailback because you lost Peyton Hillis, how about Doug Martin? How about David Wilson? At No. 22 you can get one of those tailbacks. If you need a wide receiver at No. 22, what about Kendall Wright? The way I think they have to look at this thing is, go get the franchise quarterback, sit him on the bench for a little bit behind Colt McCoy, get him comfortable, and then at 22 get yourself a playmaker.”

Fourth overall is higher than most people think Tannehill will go. But if the Browns think there’s a chance Tannehill will be their franchise quarterback for years to come, they can’t pass him up.
If this is anything other than a scare tactic to get Miami to trade up to the 4 spot, then :yucky:

'eric rymer said:
'beer 30 said:

Getty Images

So what do you do when you need QB/RB/WR? Not a fan of Tannehill at 4. Richardson yes, Tannehill no.

'Dawg Pound 69 said:
'The Comedian said:
Are the Browns even pretending that they're not taking Richardson? Have they had any free agent RB's even visit? :confused:
Saw today that Benson could be an option. But seemed like a speculative guess by the writer. He's just an older version of Hardesty.
:X So like 90% chance they draft a RB.

'Dawg Pound 69 said:
'The Comedian said:
Are the Browns even pretending that they're not taking Richardson? Have they had any free agent RB's even visit? :confused:
Saw today that Benson could be an option. But seemed like a speculative guess by the writer. He's just an older version of Hardesty.
:X So like 90% chance they draft a RB.
It's pretty much 100% that they will draft an RB, WR, and RT somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

Tony Grossi speaking with Shurmur at NFL meetings in Florida:

Quick hits: Shurmur …

* Is counting on Montario Hardesty and Brandon Jackson returning strong from injuries. He didn’t lament the lack of a proven feature back. Sounded like the Browns will add a back in free agency or the draft, but not with their first pick.

* Considers Josh Cribbs “an outstanding special teams player that is a very productive receiver.” There are no plans to move him to another position.

* Considers it “realistic” for unsigned free agent guard Eric Steinbach to return.

* Attended Oklahoma State’s pro day and called receiver Justin Blackmon “an outstanding talent … (who) gets in the end zone, can catch the ball in traffic, and finds a way to separate.”

* Said a decision to move Sheldon Brown to safety “depends on how we put the rest of the team together.”

* Knows that 6-10 isn’t good enough. “The goal is to win the AFC North, compete in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. We all understand that's what we're trying to get done.”
http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=795Don't like the first bold, love the second one. That's the attitude we have to have to turn it around.

Went back and picked out snippets I thought were interesting from the Cleveland Plain Dealer leading up to the 2011 and 2010 drafts...2011 first...

April 28, 2011

The Browns have said they will trade if they can get enough in return.
April 24, 2011

Who, then, might be defensive end candidates for Heckert in the draft? If we look slightly over the 250-pound barrier, these players would seem to be on his radar screen.

First round

Robert Quinn, North Carolina, 6-4 and 265 pounds: He's got that one-year layoff and a benign brain tumor. Otherwise, he might be taken in one of the top three picks.

Aldon Smith, Missouri, 6-4¼, 263: He's been compared to Jason Pierre-Paul, the Giants' first-round pick a year ago.

Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue, 6-4, 267: This is stretching the body type, but he is seen as a high-energy guy who should go in the middle of the round.

Second round

Brooks Reed, Arizona, 6-2½, 263: His pass-rushing skills, and playing resemblance to Clay Matthews III, are moving him closer to the bottom of the first round.Second round

Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh, 6-2 7/8, 264: A strong senior season as a dominant rusher earned him Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors.
April 23, 2011

The Browns have had visits with the top five-rated cornerbacks in the draft - LSU's Patrick Peterson, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara, Colorado's Jimmy Smith, Texas' Aaron Williams and Brandon Harris of Miami (Fla.) as well as Louisville's Johnny Patrick.

They also have visited with or worked out latter-round prospects DeMarcus Van Dyke of Miami (Fla.), Marcus Gilchrist of Clemson, Brandon Burton of Utah, Devon Torrence of Ohio State, Buster Skrine of Tennessee-Chattanooga, Chris Culliver of South Carolina and Curtis Brown of Texas.
April 22, 2011

Why would the Browns want Peterson, when they picked a cornerback (Joe Haden) in last year's first round?

Here's how General Manager Tom Heckert explained the need for a strong secondary: "You are going to play close to 60 percent nickel, so you are going to have three corners on the field 60 percent of the time . . . The more cover guys you can have, the better you are."

The important part of these remarks is they haven't changed since the end of the season. And team President Mike Holmgren said much the same thing during and after the season. Both guys running the Browns believe the receivers were either underused or misused.

Checking Heckert's draft record in Philadelphia, he took Jeremy Macklin (No. 19 in 2009), DeSean Jackson (No. 49 in 2008) and Jason Avant (No. 109 in 2006) as his best receiver selections. Macklin is the only first-rounder. History indicates Heckert believes he can find receivers in the lower rounds.
April 15, 2011

Heckert would not confirm media reports of the marquee names who have been among the Browns' allowable 30 player visits.

"As far as somebody we're thinking of taking at No. 6, it's pretty much safe to say we've had him in here," he said.

Heckert and Shurmur tried to downplay the universal belief the Browns must focus on defensive line and wide receiver early in the draft.

"It's easy to look at the glorified positions and say we always want those, but you still have to make sure the grunt work is done and you have good players up front, too," Heckert said.
April 14, 2011

Controversial Auburn quarterback Cam Newton was among the nine big-name draft prospects visiting the Browns on Wednesday at their Berea facility, an NFL source told The Plain Dealer.

The others included Georgia receiver A.J. Green, Alabama receiver Julio Jones, Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt, Baylor nose tackle Phil Taylor and Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith.

April 23, 2010

Two big QBs left: With Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen's surprising tumble out of the first round, the Browns might still have two big-name quarterbacks available to them when they pick No. 6 in round two today - No. 38 overall. Texas quarterback Colt McCoy also is still on the board.

The Browns have had the two quarterbacks in for visits and have spent plenty of time on both. They have been said to like McCoy in particular.
April 22, 2010

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the Browns are one of seven teams with high first-round picks the Steelers have called about unloading Roethlisberger in the aftermath of his six-game suspension by the NFL for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. The other teams, according to Schefter, are the St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks. :lmao:

McCoy 1st rounder?

If the Browns want Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, they might not be able to wait until No. 38 overall. ESPN's Jon Gruden thinks he's a sure first-rounder. "All he does is win," said Gruden." But NFL Network's Mike Mayock put Florida's Tim Tebow ahead of McCoy in his latest QB rankings.
April 15, 2010

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock thinks the Browns should take Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen at No. 7 if they're sold on his character.

"I do think he has the physical skill-set to be a top 10 pick in the draft, similar to [Jets rookie] Mark Sanchez," Mayock said on a conference call Wednesday. "The question is what kind of kid is he? If you buy into him – his work ethic, toughness and leadership – there's no reason not to take him. He's every bit as talented as Sanchez."

Mayock said it's probably too early for the Browns to take Florida cornerback Joe Haden at No. 7 or a defensive tackle. He thinks Tennessee safety Eric Berry will be there for them, but maintains Texas' Earl Thomas is the premier safety in the draft, and the most instinctive one he's seen in at least six years.
If Mayock's an expert, so am I.
April 13, 2010

McCoy, widely regarded as the third-best quarterback in the draft behind Bradford and Clausen, is projected by some as a second-rounder, but might not last that long. The Browns probably either would have to trade down in the first round or up from the second to acquire him.

McCoy (6-1, 210) is thought by some to be a great fit in the West Coast offense, which the Browns will incorporate more next season.
April 8, 2010

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper says the Browns should take Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant with the seventh overall pick in the April 22-24 draft.

Kiper also projected the Browns would take with their next three picks - Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, Miami (Fla.) tight end Jimmy Graham and LSU safety Chad Jones.

Kiper has McCoy rated as his No. 3 quarterback after Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford.
April 7, 2010

The Browns may be covering their bases in case McCourty falls into the second round. Or they may be contemplating a trade down from No. 7 overall or a trade up from No. 38 overall in the second round.

While it's been assumed Haden was the top cornerback on the Browns' radar screen throughout the draft process, Browns coach Eric Mangini indicated two weeks ago at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla., that he had not completed his evaluation of the position.

"For me, I like to go through all the corners before putting them on a stack," he said.
March 26, 2010 (on bringing in Tennessee safety Eric Berry)

Each NFL team is allowed to bring in 30 players for visits, in addition to local players and those from nearby colleges. Other players the Browns have spent extra time with or will do so before the draft include Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, Florida cornerback Joe Haden, Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike and Texas quarterback Colt McCoy.

"6-10 isn't good enough". Where are the wins going to come from???

We play Pit, Bal, Cin, NYG, Dal, Pha, Was, Den, KC, Oak, SD, Buf, Ind

We are probably better than Indy who is a mess right now. We are maybe equal to KC, Oak, Buf, Was. We might get one or two in the div.

My prediction is 6-10, and I'm an optimist!

We are probably better than Indy who is a mess right now. We are maybe equal to KC, Oak, Buf, Was. We might get one or two in the div.

That's not the point. I don't want my HC or anybody on the coaching staff for that matter saying "well, we'd love to be better than 6-10 but we just don't have the horespower this year and we play a ##### of a schedule". Winning starts with an attitude.

I don't get the dire gloom and dooom about the schedule. Yes the NFC east and AFC west have a lot of solid teams, but not ONE of them finished with more than 9 wins last year. It's not like they were a bunch of regular season juggernauts. SD, DAL, NYG, PHI... all better on paper but known to blow plenty of games to lesser teams in recent years. I would be more shocked if they only won 2 or 3 games than if they won 7 or 8.

I'll bet my posting privileges on this forum that we won't take Blackmon @ 4.

And to be honest, I wouldn't want to post here anymore if we did.

Users who are viewing this thread