What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Tony grossis twitter is fresh with a new campaign against selecting mayfield.  He thinks it would be manziel 2.  He must be getting an earful from fans saying mayfield should be the pick.   Grossi also quoted as saying mayfield is out of the question.  You browns fans better hope he doesnt get his wish. 

I think the browns are fine if they take mayfield at #1.  I just think he will be there at 4.  
I think he will probably be there at 4 also.

The only ways he isn't is if the Giants take him, I think they would take Rosen, or if someone trades up to 3 to grab him.

Would Denver move from 5 to 3 to take Mayfield?

Or the Jets form 6 to 3?

If no one trades up I think it likely would go

1. Browns non Mayfield pick. (Barkley or Chubb)

2. Giants take Rosen.

3. Colts take whoever is left of Barkley or Chubb.

4. Browns take Mayfield.

If he is the guy you want, I think I do take him at 1 and not risk the Giants taking him, or someone (most likely Denver or the Jets), jumping to 3 to grab him.

I'm not so sure he is the guy right now.

And I'm happy it is Dorsey's decision to make and not mine.

Tony grossis twitter is fresh with a new campaign against selecting mayfield.  He thinks it would be manziel 2.  He must be getting an earful from fans saying mayfield should be the pick.   Grossi also quoted as saying mayfield is out of the question.  You browns fans better hope he doesnt get his wish. 
He was disgusting on local radio too yesterday.  So anti-Baker it's really sad more than anything.  

Ignoring local Browns media is not difficult to do around here.  If Grossi, MKC, and Ruiter are saying it then you can feel free to laugh about it and move on.  Buncha puppets and axe grinders.  

I would assume grossi would not campaign against it so hard if he didnt think dorsey was targetting him.  I would infer fom this heavy flak that mayfield IS the pick.  As they say in the miltary or in politics, the flak is greatest when you are directly over the target. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume grossi would not campaign against it so hard if he didnt think dorsey was targetting him.  I would infer fom this heavy flak that mayfield IS the pick.  As they say in the miltary or in politics, the flak is greatest when you are directly over the target. 
Nah, when anyone from that trifecta of dumb develop an agenda they just relentlessly hammer away at it with disregard to any information to the contrary - doesn't matter what's going on at the Browns facility.

Riversco said:
It's way too early in the process to come to any conclusions about who the Browns pick or who is even a true frontrunner.

If rosen was the pick, the local press would be running lots of stories saying rosen is too risky because he isnt liked in the locker room or doesnt want to play in cleveland.  If darnold was the pick, theyd be running lots of stories about how darnold played poorly last year.  Instead there are lots of stories attacking mayfield.   

I don't think the combine will have any bearing on who the Browns select. Very little, anyways. 

QBs it's all about body of work. You watch Mayfield, you see a stud. 

If rosen was the pick, the local press would be running lots of stories saying rosen is too risky because he isnt liked in the locker room or doesnt want to play in cleveland.  If darnold was the pick, theyd be running lots of stories about how darnold played poorly last year.  Instead there are lots of stories attacking mayfield.   
I don't think you're familiar enough with these schmos.  Rosen and Darnold are exactly the type of QB's Grossi fawns over.

Riversco said:
Your inference and assumptions are lacking here, as well as your Grossi knowledge.

Grossi is extremely biased against BigXII QBS.  He will always state that a Big XII QB is destined to fail and should be avoided at all costs.  His latest piece is just a carry-over of that flawed logic. Grossi and MKC are two that I take with a heavy dose of salt, as you can't trust anything they are touting as truth in their articles.  It's all garbage.

Time for the FA rumors to start flowing!

From Chad Forbes (NFLDraftBites):

2 Teams closely monitoring #Dolphins Jarvis Landry situation Jets and especially Browns. Expect Browns make Big push. Still chance he’s Transition tagged by Phins...
Pretty sure the speculation is from CLE grabbing his college WR Coach for the same position.  It would be interesting to see Landry with Gordon, Njoku, and Duke - assuming we have a good enough QB to get them the ball (rookie or vet, doesn't matter - just have the skills).

Your inference and assumptions are lacking here, as well as your Grossi knowledge.

Grossi is extremely biased against BigXII QBS.  He will always state that a Big XII QB is destined to fail and should be avoided at all costs.  His latest piece is just a carry-over of that flawed logic. Grossi and MKC are two that I take with a heavy dose of salt, as you can't trust anything they are touting as truth in their articles.  It's all garbage.
That's true regarding big-12 qbs & Grossi.  He also thinks he's smarter than everyone & is cynical to a fault.  MKC, on the other hand, gets played a lot.  She, like Donovan, is just a reporter with no true depth of knowledge.  Ruiter is like Goldhammer -- just makes noise to fill the hour.  You can count on both of them to be wrong when you really need to know your sports.  

Time for the FA rumors to start flowing!

From Chad Forbes (NFLDraftBites):

Pretty sure the speculation is from CLE grabbing his college WR Coach for the same position.  It would be interesting to see Landry with Gordon, Njoku, and Duke - assuming we have a good enough QB to get them the ball (rookie or vet, doesn't matter - just have the skills).
I'd like to see it, but his agent is making all sorts of noise.  IMO, he's holding out for superstar money.

Unfounded? Watched this kid countless times in college, and my clear #1 ranked QB in the draft.

This isnt something Ive just said yesterday.

I'm for Darnold and letting him sit a year or so behind a Smith or Eli.  He has the skills/talent/leadership, but just needs a few tweaks.  Watching him against tOSU in the bowl game showed that he had some poise and can make some really good throws under pressure.  I wouldn't be against Mayfield either, as he has that moxie/leadership that helps lift those around him.  Both of these QBs have the ability to raise the level of play of those around him.  I think that is something that has been missing from the CLE QB since the return in '99.

I'm not a fan of Rosen, mainly because of medical risks and attitude.  The 2 concussions in one season, and shoulder injuries worry me.  His attitude, while immature and could change, comes off as being entitled.  I'm not sold on his intangibles yet.
I just saw the annual rankings over at NFL.com.

Sam Darnold is the highest rated quarterback on NFL.com's draft tracker by a significant margin.

I guess they establish rankings over the course of the year so I am not sure they update based on bowl or All-Star games.  They might tweek their rankings after the Combine but right now they have Darnold out in front above everyone else.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:qb

@Soulfly3 hasn't really been that far off on Gordon. He did a little better than expected on his return. Given a full off season I can see him return to form.

Besides Baker isn't the worst QB to be "blindly" excited about in this draft.

Garoppolo will be the best NFL QB of this year's crop.

Mocked him to the Browns well over a month ago, and to this minute, hope he is the QB we take. Would prefer we grab him in the 2nd, but he may not be there.
Timestamped, for your perusal. 

Being right on Jimmy G. from the start is legitimately an impressive call.

On the other hand, you might want to rethink responding to a "when was the last time you got one right?" challenge with a post from 2014...

Just saying...not the look you were hoping for.

Being right on Jimmy G. from the start is legitimately an impressive call.

On the other hand, you might want to rethink responding to a "when was the last time you got one right?" challenge with a post from 2014...

Just saying...not the look you were hoping for.
I dont make many calls on players. But when it comes to players in the draft, I have a pretty good record.

Was hyping OBJ hard in that draft as well on this forum. 

I have misses. Who doesn't? But overall, I trust what I see when I watch guys a bunch of times in college. 

Haven't clamored for a QB likely since Jimmy G. Tho I do recall definitely wanting Goff over Wentz last year, if we did go for a QB.

Unfounded? Watched this kid countless times in college, and my clear #1 ranked QB in the draft.

This isnt something Ive just said yesterday.
I should have left the word unfounded out, it masked what I was saying. But it is blind optimism. It's hopefulness, I get that. But the whole "If the Browns take him it will totally change the fortunes of the team" thing before he's ever played a down is just that, blind optimism. I can see being hopeful, having a positive attitude about a guy, etc. But putting forth the whole thing as some sort of "absolute" is just silly, worn out and tired schitck. IMHO of course.

I absolutely think he can turn this franchise around... So long as he sits behind an alex smith type 1-2yrs. 

Who said I guarantee it? I just very much believe it. 

Since the 1967 merger, only 5 number one overall picks have been rookie of the year.

22 of the number one overall picks were quarterbacks and 6 of them have won at least one Super Bowl, all of them winning multiple. (Bradshaw, 
Plunkett, Elway, Aikman, Manning, Manning. 

So no number one overall quarterback has won just one Super Bowl. 

no offense, but please name the last time a #1 pick sat 1-2 years?
Why does that matter? We have the capspace to do it, and it is obviously an ideal set up for your top pick, no?

If he starts day 1 cuz that's the intention...cool. But I'd rather he didnt. 

I just saw the annual rankings over at NFL.com.

Sam Darnold is the highest rated quarterback on NFL.com's draft tracker by a significant margin.

I guess they establish rankings over the course of the year so I am not sure they update based on bowl or All-Star games.  They might tweek their rankings after the Combine but right now they have Darnold out in front above everyone else.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:qb
Where's Rosen?

daveR said:
Right now, I'm thinking QBs go 1-2-3, and maybe 4 or 5.
Good chance of this IMO which is why I wanna wish for Cousins to want to sign here, for the jets or Broncos to go crazy ponying up for the #1, and for us to get the two best non QB positional players available to us at 4/5 or 4/6 while getting a nice chunk of high picks to move down. 

I think moves like that are not only better for us in the short term but also the long term not only with getting more high picks in a trade but by actually putting a competitive product on the field.  Long term, i really think winning NOW should be factored in to how things will be 5-10 years down the road.

Normally with any other franchise i would not feel that way, but with this one i do.  Its a special case.

I wanna wish for Cousins to want to sign here
Elway was able to charm Peyton and he's 'apparently' planning on going after Cousins.

They coached Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield at the Senior Bowl and it 'seems' that at least one of those two QBs will be there at the #4 pick so it will be interesting if they go after Cousins or draft a young guy.  Elway wasn't too successful with Paxton Lynch but won a SB with Peyton.  He 'likely' won't be able to land his first choice of this year's QB crop at the #4 pick and he might be thinking about getting his QB in FA and using his top pick on the best non-QB.  

Cousins has already made a fortune and he is 30 so he might prefer Denver over Cleveland if the Browns jump into the mix but it seems Denver will be a player for Cousins.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/sam_darnold_and_josh_allen_roo.html

On Kirk Cousins

The Broncos, who are coaching Mayfield and Allen on the Senior Bowl's North team, are expected to go hard after Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, who will be an unrestricted free agent, according to Mike Klis of Denver's 9NEWS.

==============================================================

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/a-look-at-broncos-quarterback-candidates-for-2018/73-509562049

My prediction: The Broncos will put the full-court recruiting press on Cousins. If they get him, Paxton Lynch could well be their backup quarterback and their No. 5 draft pick would be used on a player at another position.

daveR said:
Where's Rosen?
I don't know why he isn't listed.  They may not have all profiles up.

I doubled checked with the draft data base which shows Rosen is listed as a 3rd year Junior.

Darnold declared early and has two years illegibility left but he is listed as a 3rd year Senior.

LINK to the draft data base.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit#gid=0

I don't know why the NFL.com site doesn't have all player profiles up yet but they probably still had to compile profiles for guys who declared late like Darnold and Rosen.

Soulfly3 said:
Why does that matter? We have the capspace to do it, and it is obviously an ideal set up for your top pick, no?

If he starts day 1 cuz that's the intention...cool. But I'd rather he didnt. 
i happen to agree with you, but you didn’t answer my question.  

the reason it matters is that it almost NEVER happens.  

i happen to agree with you, but you didn’t answer my question.  

the reason it matters is that it almost NEVER happens.  
Ok, that doesnt mean that it wont happen tho.

Not like it's every day that a older, veteran, good QB is available "on the cheap".

I would like to see Cleveland sign a veteran QB (Smith, Taylor) while continuing to develop Kizer. I would take Barkley @ 1 and Minkah @ 4

A humble hardworking guy like Alex Smith could help stabilize a young locker room. Would a 2018 2nd be enough to get it done ?

I would like to see Cleveland sign a veteran QB (Smith, Taylor) while continuing to develop Kizer. I would take Barkley @ 1 and Minkah @ 4

A humble hardworking guy like Alex Smith could help stabilize a young locker room. Would a 2018 2nd be enough to get it done ?
The Chiefs would do that in a second. Way to much to give up.

Users who are viewing this thread