What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (2 Viewers)

Got way too high, so I'm gonna break my vow cuz I'm feeling social...

Mayfield and Barkley. 

And dare I say it, we have the most potent offense in the NFL in 2019. 

The question was, "In the 60s, the Browns drafted a HOF guard who never played a down for them. Who?"

Ans:  John Havlicek

anybody got the results from Mayock's awesome final mock?
Some years I think his mock drafts are kinda wacky, but this year I think it looks pretty good - Rosen's fall is a bit surprising, though.

1.01 CLE - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1.02 NYG - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

1.03 NYJ - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

1.04 CLE - Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State

1.05 DEN - Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

1.06 BUF (Mock trade with IND) - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

1.07 TBB - Derwin James, S, Florida State

1.08 CHI - Roquan Smith, LB, Virginia Tech

1.09 SFO - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

1.10 OAK - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

1.11 MIA - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

1.12 IND (Mock trade with BUF) - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Ohio State

1.13 WAS - Vita Vea, DT, Washington

1.14 GBP - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

1.15 AZC - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

1.16 BAL - Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL

1.17 LAC - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

1.18 SEA - Marcus Davenport, EDGE, UTSA

1.19 DAL - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

1.20 DET - Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College

1.21 CIN - Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

1.22 IND (Mock trade with BUF) - Isaiah Wynn, OT, Georgia

1.23 NEP - Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA

1.24 CAR - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

1.25 TEN - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

1.26 ATL - Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

1.27 NOS - D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

1.28 PIT - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

1.29 JAX - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

1.30 MIN - Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP

1.31 NEP - James Daniels, C, Iowa

1.32 PHI - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

You don't know who will be available at 4 and have no idea what they'd be getting in return. Seem very odd to be that strongly opposed to shopping the pick.
I know there is a 99.9% chance of either being Chubb or Barkley there.  Cleveland and NYJ are 99.9% chance taking a QB.

That is all I need to know about who might be there at 4.  Either is fine by me.

Sam Darnold went No. 1 to the Browns in NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock's 2018 Mock Draft.

Mayock has the highest Mock Draft accuracy score among all "big media" draft analysts over the last five years. Mayock releases just one mock each draft season, and this year's came out Wednesday night. Mayock has the Giants taking Saquon Barkley at No. 2, the Jets taking Baker Mayfield at 3, the Browns taking Bradley Chubb at 4, and the Broncos grabbing Quenton Nelson at No. 5. Mayock then has the Bills trading up to draft Josh Allen at No. 6.

I know there is a 99.9% chance of either being Chubb or Barkley there.  Cleveland and NYJ are 99.9% chance taking a QB.

That is all I need to know about who might be there at 4.  Either is fine by me.
That’s fine. You still don’t know what they might get in return. That’s the most important part of any trade.

The (obvious) point was, nothing we have done has worked.  We draft high and the guy is a bust.  We trade and the guy who is drafted becomes good and the guys we draft bust.  

Get it yet?
And it's not the same front office doing this draft.

If you look at over all % of pro bowls made by player draft position, it shows players drafted in hte top 10 have made more pro bowls than players drafted form 11-20.

Players drafted at 4 have made a huge amount more of pro bowls than players drafted at 12.

That's why you don't trade back.

Yes, you still have to pick the right guy but, % wise, there are more of the right guy to pick from at 4 than at 12.

Sounds like the Browns really cooled on Darnold and were prepared to select Josh Allen but in the last 9 hours, news broke that Josh Allen made several racist tweets so he's about to free fall in the draft.  Baker Mayfield should be the pick and won't even attend. It'll all work out because Mayfield is for real.

Some years I think his mock drafts are kinda wacky, but this year I think it looks pretty good - Rosen's fall is a bit surprising, though.

1.01 CLE - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1.02 NYG - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

1.03 NYJ - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

1.04 CLE - Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State

1.05 DEN - Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

1.06 BUF (Mock trade with IND) - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

1.07 TBB - Derwin James, S, Florida State

1.08 CHI - Roquan Smith, LB, Virginia Tech

1.09 SFO - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

1.10 OAK - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

1.11 MIA - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

1.12 IND (Mock trade with BUF) - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Ohio State

1.13 WAS - Vita Vea, DT, Washington

1.14 GBP - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

1.15 AZC - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

1.16 BAL - Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL

1.17 LAC - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

1.18 SEA - Marcus Davenport, EDGE, UTSA

1.19 DAL - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

1.20 DET - Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College

1.21 CIN - Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

1.22 IND (Mock trade with BUF) - Isaiah Wynn, OT, Georgia

1.23 NEP - Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA

1.24 CAR - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

1.25 TEN - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

1.26 ATL - Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

1.27 NOS - D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

1.28 PIT - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

1.29 JAX - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

1.30 MIN - Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP

1.31 NEP - James Daniels, C, Iowa

1.32 PHI - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Colts turned pick 3 into a ridiculous rebuild.  12, 22, three 2nds, and pick 65.

Sam Darnold went No. 1 to the Browns in NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock's 2018 Mock Draft.

Mayock has the highest Mock Draft accuracy score among all "big media" draft analysts over the last five years. Mayock releases just one mock each draft season, and this year's came out Wednesday night. Mayock has the Giants taking Saquon Barkley at No. 2, the Jets taking Baker Mayfield at 3, the Browns taking Bradley Chubb at 4, and the Broncos grabbing Quenton Nelson at No. 5. Mayock then has the Bills trading up to draft Josh Allen at No. 6.
Mayock should know the Giants are going QB at 2.  

The one I saw last night that probably sends this place into free fall is trading with Buffalo and taking Derwin and Da'Ron.

Riversco said:
Sounds like the Browns really cooled on Darnold and were prepared to select Josh Allen but in the last 9 hours, news broke that Josh Allen made several racist tweets so he's about to free fall in the draft.  Baker Mayfield should be the pick and won't even attend. It'll all work out because Mayfield is for real.
Yep, because ultimately decisions are made based on what news comes out 29 hours before the draft.

Browns continue to keep the decision on their No. 1 pick a secret, but there is a mounting belief from HCs and GMs around the league that Cleveland will take Baker Mayfield.

- Adam Schefter

ghostguy123 said:
I will take about 22% of the blame for why this thread sucks right now.
I'd bump that %...

If I put ghostguy on ignore, does this thread disappear? Asking for a friend :P

It did happen with Tunsil - but that video broke an hour or so before the draft and teams were scrambling.
A top pick where an agent he betrayed dug up a video taping him smoking weed was timed to hurt his draft stock is one thing.

A prospect who may be a top pick who made stupid tweets as a high school kid is another.

A prospect who may be a top pick who grabbed his crotch during a nationally televised game and 'other' immature outbursts during games and also has this video out is another thing.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4049459/baker-mayfield-video-drunk-oklahoma-quarterback-curses-and-runs-cops-slam-him/   

Baker Mayfield Video: Drunk Oklahoma Quarterback Curses And Runs, Cops Slam Him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What might develop into a long turn problem for an NFL team? 

High school tweets or emotional immaturity?  

Browns have an opportunity to walk away with (2) HOF potential players, Barkley and Nelson. And with a boat load of assets could easily acquire the highest ceiling QB in this draft:

1.1 Barkley

1.4 Nelson

1.16 Trade up for Lamar Jackson 

No defense would be able to stop that team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Riversco said:
Those racist tweets are the most offensive production we’ve seen Allen generate so far.

"This guy posted something kind of naive and immature on social media five years ago when he was in high school.  That's too much of a red flag for us.  Better go with Mayfield."

A top pick where an agent he betrayed dug up a video taping him smoking weed was timed to hurt his draft stock is one thing.

A prospect who may be a top pick who made stupid tweets as a high school kid is another.

A prospect who may be a top pick who grabbed his crotch during a nationally televised game and 'other' immature outbursts during games and also has this video out is another thing.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4049459/baker-mayfield-video-drunk-oklahoma-quarterback-curses-and-runs-cops-slam-him/   

Baker Mayfield Video: Drunk Oklahoma Quarterback Curses And Runs, Cops Slam Him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What might develop into a long turn problem for an NFL team? 

High school tweets or emotional immaturity?  
Well I didn't say it would hurt his stock - I was just pointing out that things like this could in response to another post- but you don't see how a QB coming into a new team couldn't have his leadership role threatened if anyone thought he was a racist? You don't see any possibility of his black teammates being a little leery or giving him the cold shoulder> I think this will blow over of course but if some one was on the fence I could see this pushing them to the other side.

Browns have an opportunity to walk away with (2) HOF potential players, Barkley and Nelson. And with a boat load of assets could easily acquire the highest ceiling QB in this draft:

1.1 Barkley

1.4 Nelson

1.16 Trade up for Lamar Jackson 

No defense would be able to stop that team. 
Hold my beer.

-Hue

Well I didn't say it would hurt his stock - I was just pointing out that things like this could in response to another post- but you don't see how a QB coming into a new team couldn't have his leadership role threatened if anyone thought he was a racist? You don't see any possibility of his black teammates being a little leery or giving him the cold shoulder> I think this will blow over of course but if some one was on the fence I could see this pushing them to the other side.
You have to ask a lot of questions and then put them to a reasonable man standard of whether or not they could be a long term problem.

Tweets made by a teen aged high school kid.

Or

...the notes from the police report about Baker Mayfield’s arrest claim that the melee started around 2:29 a.m. on February 25, when an officer was flagged down at the intersection of Dickson and West. The person who flagged down the officer wanted police to file a report for assault and battery. According to the police report, the man that flagged down the cop was yelling at Mayfield. The police officer asked Mayfield to remain at the scene so that the officer could take his statement about an altercation that he claimed he tried to break up before the police officer arrived. The cop claimed that Mayfield was screaming, cursing, and “causing a scene.” Authorities noted that Mayfield was drunk and had a hard time walking down two stairs, and had slurred speech. The cop stated that Baker Mayfield smelled like alcohol.

“The front of Mayfield’s clothing was covered in food.”

When the officer claimed that he told Baker Mayfield to come to him, that’s when he began to walk away from the officer, claims the police report. The officer said he told him to stop repeatedly, but that’s when Mayfield started to sprint away and was tackled to the ground. Even while on the ground, Mayfield was disobedient, according to the police report, with Mayfield not agreeing to put his hands behind his back. Instead, the report claims that Baker Mayfield kept his arms tightly locked and would not allow police to put his arms behind him. The officer was eventually able to place Mayfield’s arms behind his back and handcuff him.

The video does shows an inability to escape the rush. 
“The Baker Mayfield arrest video surfaces… 3 Fayetteville cops get invited to an NFL Pro-Day.”

You have to ask a lot of questions and then put them to a reasonable man standard of whether or not they could be a long term problem.

Tweets made by a teen aged high school kid.

Or

...the notes from the police report about Baker Mayfield’s arrest claim that the melee started around 2:29 a.m. on February 25, when an officer was flagged down at the intersection of Dickson and West. The person who flagged down the officer wanted police to file a report for assault and battery. According to the police report, the man that flagged down the cop was yelling at Mayfield. The police officer asked Mayfield to remain at the scene so that the officer could take his statement about an altercation that he claimed he tried to break up before the police officer arrived. The cop claimed that Mayfield was screaming, cursing, and “causing a scene.” Authorities noted that Mayfield was drunk and had a hard time walking down two stairs, and had slurred speech. The cop stated that Baker Mayfield smelled like alcohol.

“The front of Mayfield’s clothing was covered in food.”

When the officer claimed that he told Baker Mayfield to come to him, that’s when he began to walk away from the officer, claims the police report. The officer said he told him to stop repeatedly, but that’s when Mayfield started to sprint away and was tackled to the ground. Even while on the ground, Mayfield was disobedient, according to the police report, with Mayfield not agreeing to put his hands behind his back. Instead, the report claims that Baker Mayfield kept his arms tightly locked and would not allow police to put his arms behind him. The officer was eventually able to place Mayfield’s arms behind his back and handcuff him.

“The Baker Mayfield arrest video surfaces… 3 Fayetteville cops get invited to an NFL Pro-Day.”
Not sure how Mayfield came into it - I didn't mention him. I'd see that as a red flag as well.

Honestly I don't think any of this will matter much, if at all - I was merely offering a counterpoint.

Seriously, I was arrested once in very similar circumstances.   I would be a huge hypocrite if I thought that it said anything about his character. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, I was arrested once in very similar circumstances.   I would be a huge hypocrite if I thought that it said anything about his character. 
His character needs to be a bit different than the rest of ours though.  I can my job just fine even if everyone hates me.

His character needs to be a bit different than the rest of ours though.  I can my job just fine even if everyone hates me.
Come on.  His teammates are not going to hate him for doing something stupid when he was young and drunk.  They are not all innocent angels..

Not sure how Mayfield came into it - I didn't mention him. I'd see that as a red flag as well.

Honestly I don't think any of this will matter much, if at all - I was merely offering a counterpoint.
Mayfield's name came into it because he is being mentioned with Allen for the top pick and if his indiscretions can be forgotten by the pubilc then high school kid deleted tweets will.

Seriously, I was arrested once in very similar circumstances.   I would be a huge hypocrite if I thought that said anything about his character. 
He has done things on the field that show a guy who lets his emotions get carried away and he's done it more than one time.  The arrest would be a red flag if he had a history but he doesn't and I'm sure you don't.  

The one question I ask of any top quarterback when it comes to behavior is:

Do the top NFL QBs  do this?

The first incident with Johnny Manziel after he got drafted I asked that question and got slammed but I had never seen a top NFL QB do anything like Manziel.

I'm not comparing Mayfield to Manziel but I've never seen a top NFL QB grab their crotch and taunt an opponent or other some of the things he's done.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/09/12/baker-mayfields-apology-planting-flat-ohio-state-unnecessary/658349001/

Baker Mayfield's apology for planting flag at Ohio State was unnecessary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't know if this is a red flag or not but I am more concerned since it is recent and he doesn't seem to have a handle on it.

And I am sorry everybody hates you.  Maybe you take co-workers out for a few drinks (and possibly get arrested) .  It would be a bonding experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread