What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (5 Viewers)

I wonder if we do take Mayfield (fingers crossed)

Would the Giants be unable to pass on Darnold, which ensures Barkley is there at 4 for us?

Interesting thought process, and also makes me moist thinking about our potential offense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if we do take Mayfield (fingers crossed)

Would the Giants be unable to pass on Darnold, which ensures Barkley is there at 4 for us?

Interesting thought process, and also makes me moist thinking about our potential offense. 
I think they could take Darnold in that case (but would still lean towards Barkley) - it would however open up trade possibilities even further I think.

Latest Grossi tweet has a source saying the possible explanation for late rumored interest in Mayfield is that the Browns are trying to drum-up interest for top pick in order to trade-down for Allen.

--------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/989527740356419591

Tony Grossi‏Verified account @TonyGrossi 22m22 minutes ago

One source's possible explanation for Baker Mayfield to Browns rumors: Dorsey trying hard to attract trade for No. 1. End game: Josh Allen. #draftday

Latest Grossi tweet has a source saying the possible explanation for late rumored interest in Mayfield is that the Browns are trying to drum-up interest for top pick in order to trade-down for Allen.

--------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/989527740356419591

Tony Grossi‏Verified account @TonyGrossi 22m22 minutes ago

One source's possible explanation for Baker Mayfield to Browns rumors: Dorsey trying hard to attract trade for No. 1. End game: Josh Allen. #draftday
:no: No. Please no. 

Just take your guy at #1.  Quit playing games and risking losing your guy..................unless that guy is Allen, then PLEASE trade down.  I rather have ANY of the other top 6 QBs over Allen.  

Here's what I think the combos are.  Haven't been able to follow anything today really because work blew up.

Mayfield - Saquon

Darnold - Chubb

Mayfield or Darnold - trade #4

Lance Zierlein‏Verified account @LanceZierlein 3h3 hours ago

Baker is going #1. That’s happening, but figuring out 2 will be extremely difficult since the buzz is that the Giants don’t love these QBs. The Bills could move to 2 but would they take Allen or Darnold? Do we live in a world where it’s Mayfield, Allen and THEN Darnold?

It's my feeling, barring any unexpected new info or proposals surfacing & based off multiple conversations I've had on & off the record up through the crack of dawn this am, that the #Browns have settled on Okla QB Baker Mayfield for the #1 pick in the #NFL Draft tonight at 8pm.

- Josina Anderson

His memory does not serve him well. I think Garrett was pretty universal to the Browns with only a smattering of Trubisky.
Might want to check because their was a ton of late talk about us taking Mitch.

I was always in the Garrett camp last year and I've always been in the Darnold camp this year.

This year is different.   Nobody knows what John Dorsey is going to do.

-------------------

So are the Browns really going to take Mitchell Trubisky at ... www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/...

It went so well the last time they spent a first-round pick on a quarterback.

Browns Taking Mitchell Trubisky - News

If the Browns truly believe in Mitchell Trubisky, taking him ... sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-truly-believe...

Over the last few days before the NFL draft, there’s been a growing buzz that goes against what everyone figured was the one safe pick in everyone’s mock draft: The Cleveland Browns might pick North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky No. 1 overall.

Report: Browns still considering Mitchell Trubisky first ... profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/22/report-browns...

Apr 21, 2017 · Everyone thinks the Browns will take Texas A&M pass rusher Myles Garrett with the first overall pick in the draft on Thursday night, but maybe everyone is wrong. Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com reports that North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky is still under serious consideration by the ...

Browns strongly considering Mitch Trubisky No. 1 overall ... www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/browns...

Mar 02, 2017 · The Browns are strongly considering drafting hometown boy Mitch Trubisky No ... Browns taking Texas A&M pass ... quarterback for the Cleveland Browns."

Browns should take Mitchell Trubisky No. 1 overall, ESPN ... brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/18/browns-should...

Apr 17, 2017 · The Cleveland Browns should take UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky No. 1 overall, ESPN analyst K.C. Joyner argues.

Might want to check because their was a ton of late talk about us taking Mitch.
That doesn't really discount what I said. Most of them aren't even strong statements (i.e. "considering", "should", "if"...). Its was pretty well known their pick was Garrett, that's the bottom line. That guy is not remembering it correctly if his implication was Trubisky was a "done deal" at this time last year.

I also would not say for sure it's Baker this year - but it's certainly starting to look that way, and for the record I think it's a good pick for them.

Got to say I'm surprised Browns' homers are excited by this prospect.

Mayfield is going to be a disaster.  Would be the last of the Day 1 prospects I'd want my team to spend a pick on, and spending #1 overall on him is insane.  I don't see how he stands in the pocket and creates with his size or arm, nor how he shows the kind of elusiveness he'd need to buy time to create when he runs damn near a 5.0 40.

Any other QB or top positional prospect would make me giddy if I'm a Browns guy.  Mayfield is literally the last guy likely to be a day 1 pick I could stomach.  He's not going to succeed in the NFL with his makeup.

Got to say I'm surprised Browns' homers are excited by this prospect.

Mayfield is going to be a disaster.  Would be the last of the Day 1 prospects I'd want my team to spend a pick on, and spending #1 overall on him is insane.  I don't see how he stands in the pocket and creates with his size or arm, nor how he shows the kind of elusiveness he'd need to buy time to create when he runs damn near a 5.0 40.

Any other QB or top positional prospect would make me giddy if I'm a Browns guy.  Mayfield is literally the last guy likely to be a day 1 pick I could stomach.  He's not going to succeed in the NFL with his makeup.
So... you've never watched him play?

I guess we'll see, and I still have a hard time believing a GM as good as Dorsey would make such a pick.

But a guy like Allen, despite all the warts, has not only great physical tools, but a great attitude, a rep for being coachable, and the intelligence to put it all together.  He may not turn into a franchise guy with that set of tools, but his utter flameout quotient is practically nil.  Worst case scenario for him is a guy with a rocket who knows the playbook inside and out and works well with the coaches, but can't rein his accuracy in.  Then he's what, Derek Anderson?  That'd suck, but at least it's an NFL'er.

I can't see any path for Mayfield to reach even that level.  Who's the analog you're hoping he'll turn into as a 6-nothing QB from a gimmick O with left tackle speed?  You're absolutely relying on him to prove to be the next Drew Brees at that point, and since there's been one of those in a century of football so far, that seems like an insane gamble.  Especially when the guy with the closest mechanics to Brees in Mayfield's own draft class isn't even Mayfield.

I think Allen, Darnold, and Rosen are sure-fire competent NFL QB's.  Franchise?  We'll see.  Jackson can make it work with less of an arm for as long as he can stay upright.  He can buy time for lanes to open on the Russ Wilson plan.  Durability will be his determining factor.

Mayfield?  I just don't see the tools.  Any of them that are necessary.  I don't see the system that allows him to succeed against a league full of NFL-level defensive talent.

I'd be disconsolate right now if I were a Browns fan. :(

Browns have an opportunity to walk away with (2) HOF potential players, Barkley and Nelson. And with a boat load of assets could easily acquire the highest ceiling QB in this draft:

1.1 Barkley

1.4 Nelson

1.16 Trade up for Lamar Jackson 

No defense would be able to stop that team. 
I have no attachment to the Browns (other than rooting for their near-term success), but the thought came to me that drafting Barkley at 1.1 would be a smart and interesting move.  Get that stud, and let other teams sort out QBs at #2 and #3.  Then at 1.4, take a QB or Nelson or Chubb.  Or, yeah ...hold off on QB (then eventually take two top prospects, one serving as a bit of insurance).  

I don't feel like the Browns can forgo a QB with both those picks, though.  They've suffered for years to be in this great position, so it's not the time to outsmart themselves.  But, still, the idea of a second solid QB prospect later on is appealing.  

I guess we'll see, and I still have a hard time believing a GM as good as Dorsey would make such a pick.

But a guy like Allen, despite all the warts, has not only great physical tools, but a great attitude, a rep for being coachable, and the intelligence to put it all together.  He may not turn into a franchise guy with that set of tools, but his utter flameout quotient is practically nil.  Worst case scenario for him is a guy with a rocket who knows the playbook inside and out and works well with the coaches, but can't rein his accuracy in.  Then he's what, Derek Anderson?  That'd suck, but at least it's an NFL'er.

I can't see any path for Mayfield to reach even that level.  Who's the analog you're hoping he'll turn into as a 6-nothing QB from a gimmick O with left tackle speed?  You're absolutely relying on him to prove to be the next Drew Brees at that point, and since there's been one of those in a century of football so far, that seems like an insane gamble.  Especially when the guy with the closest mechanics to Brees in Mayfield's own draft class isn't even Mayfield.

I think Allen, Darnold, and Rosen are sure-fire competent NFL QB's.  Franchise?  We'll see.  Jackson can make it work with less of an arm for as long as he can stay upright.  He can buy time for lanes to open on the Russ Wilson plan.  Durability will be his determining factor.

Mayfield?  I just don't see the tools.  Any of them that are necessary.  I don't see the system that allows him to succeed against a league full of NFL-level defensive talent.

I'd be disconsolate right now if I were a Browns fan. :(
Allen is horrible.  DA is his ceiling.  Even if you think Mayfield's ceiling is 80% of Brees, that's better than Allen. 

can’t say i’d be upset if Mayfield is the pick, but i’m not going to be excited about it. 
Originally he was my choice.  I've cooled on him since, but like you're saying I'll be fine with him.  Not really excited about any of these QBs, because from my uneducated eye, nobody stands out above the rest.  In a perfect world, I think Rosen is actually the guy, but I've always been worried about his concussions and other injuries.  I'm just in trust the process mode with the new regime.  

I do think Barkley will be a mistake at 1 or 4.  And that doesn't mean he won't be an all pro RB.

I have no horse in this race, but picking Mayfield is intriguing.  Definitely has the most moxie, though that rubs some people the wrong way.  He strikes me as a key culture change guy.  Confident, charismatic leader the team and city can rally around.  Would like this pick more than Allen or Rosen.  

Originally he was my choice.  I've cooled on him since, but like you're saying I'll be fine with him.  Not really excited about any of these QBs, because from my uneducated eye, nobody stands out above the rest.  In a perfect world, I think Rosen is actually the guy, but I've always been worried about his concussions and other injuries.  I'm just in trust the process mode with the new regime.  

I do think Barkley will be a mistake at 1 or 4.  And that doesn't mean he won't be an all pro RB.
Like in our fantasy drafts, it's almost a curse to have the first pick ...so much pressure to get it right. 

Lance Zierlein‏Verified account @LanceZierlein 47m47 minutes ago

Hearing Rosen over Darnold at 3 so if Sam doesn't go 2 (Denver trade up or Bills trade up), he could fall to 4 and it will be raining picks in the Browns laps once again. As crazy as it sounds, the Bucs are poised to get one of the top 3 players in this draft at pick 7.

Dianna Russini‏Verified account @diannaESPN 19m19 minutes ago

right now @mortreport dropping so much information on the Browns on ESPN. He says the GM knew six weeks ago who they were picking and told the owner… Just recently they told others in the building. #browns

Not watching Mort drop bombs, but that tweet screams Baker almost as much as the Vegas line movement.  Welcome aboard, Mr Baker the Touchdown Maker!  (sorry Stephen!)

Can you believe after all that chatter I did, and how he was considered by some to be a late 1st pick...

That he just might be ours at 1? We are gettinf MY MAN BAKERRRRRRRR
 Dorsey has been reading your posts. Congrats if true. I'm still not believing anything until I hear the Commissioner calling it.

Browns GM decided on No. 1 pick 6 weeks ago, told HC Hue Jackson 2 days ago :lmao:

And that's still more trust than I would have in him. For the record, I don't want Mayfield or Allen on this team. If one of them is the pick, it's going to be tough for me to support it as I've been a Rosen/Darnold guy. Hope I'm totally wrong about Mayfield but if he is the guy, it's going to take some convincing for me to come around.

Users who are viewing this thread