What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (5 Viewers)

Baker would have attempted throws that Tyrod decided to tuck into a scramble or sack because he’s ultra conservative. There’s also a few throws Tyrod made that I’d much rather have had Baker tossing. No idea how any of that turns out though.
seriously?  

That was such a stupid push in the back by Garrett that cost us a better shot at the win with a closer FG.  The play was all but over and he was trailing the play and it meant nothing to push the guy so stupid really painful after he did so well all game was the reason they were in it in the first place.

Well #### me running, lotta good, lotta bad in this game. Taylor could have played better but it was a downpour the whole game and I don’t think his OC did him any favors with some of those play calls. That said, Taylor holds the ball waaaaay too long, even for a good OL let alone one cobbled together the week before & relying on an undrafted rookie at LT. Running game had flashes but it was like Haley didn’t know what to do with it. Had a nice drive in the second half just pounding it and then, meh? It’s pouring buckets, run the rock! 

Garrett is everything we all hoped he would be but still makes some dumb mistakes. That said, @ghostguy123 nailed it, we lose by 14 if he wasn’t in the game so I’ll suffer through the mistakes and hope he matures. Denzel Ward, welcome to the NFL, nice to have a legit CB back on the team. Still don’t get the S playing 30 yards off the ball, especially when they are gutting you for 130 yds rushing.

And for anyone listening to the post game on 92.3 I’ll leave you with this little nugget:

The Browns were +5 in the turnover category today. Teams that are +5 or better in turnovers are 132-4-1. The Browns account for two of those losses and the tie as of today.

yeah, +5, at home, can’t pull out a win. 

so interesting.

we should really expect more out of this team, but we just can’t.  

The good news:  Ward and Garrett looked AMAZING!  The bad news:  While we were worried about their QB, RB, WR, PIT dominated the LOS from both sides of the ball.

IHEARTFF said:
Browns fans should be happy but also pissed. Ready for Baker.  Not gonna lie, I really like that team and want them to fight for a playoff spot this year. 
Funny how expectations play into it.  While we are dreaming of 8-8 and expecting 6-10, half the league is expecting 10-6 or better.  

I guess we've heard the last of how Cleveland should have picked B Chubb at 4.

Ward > B. Chubb

Once they insert Mayfield as starter and Chubb into a prominent roll, the Offense will catch up to the Defense and will be a fun team to watch.

The tie would seem to suck right now. Lets see how it looks if the Browns win the next matchup in week 8. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news:  Ward and Garrett looked AMAZING!  The bad news:  While we were worried about their QB, RB, WR, PIT dominated the LOS from both sides of the ball.
Given what the coaching staff has done with the OL over the last 6 weeks I think they played fairly well.  They were put into a position to fail and while there certainly were some issues they weren't persistent throughout the game.  Our lack of depth up front defensively was exposed though.  I didn't mind the Shelton trade when it happened because I assumed they'd be signing someone else a week later.  They didn't.  And as a result we missed him yesterday and probably will for the foreseeable future too.

Yesterday was on the QB, coaching, and penalties at inopportune times.

I didn't mind the Shelton trade when it happened because I assumed they'd be signing someone else a week later.  They didn't.  And as a result we missed him yesterday and probably will for the foreseeable future too.
We were in a cover-two shell all game and basically dared the Steelers to beat us with the run without LeVeon Bell.

They have a big and powerful O-Line who can run block and they eventually went with the running game but they still kept trying to beat us with Ben and that kinda played into Greg Williams hands when Denzel and company got early INTs and then in crunch time when Myles and rookie Genard Avery (no one has mentioned him but he had a GREAT GAME) got those turnovers.

I doubt the Saints will turn away from their passing game so our front 'may' not get a true power running game test till later.

The big difference with the meaning of the tie is that Pittsburgh had Super Bowl aspirations and thought they'd put it on auto-drive late in the game up 21-7 and we are biding time till Baker is ready to take over.   IOWs we expected Taylor to be a placeholder till Baker is ready.

The odd O-Line decision was a head scratcher but check out the three page in-depth story by MKC Browns kickoff feature in the PD on the kid.

He is a 'legit' OT candidate with first round talent and he needs PT in order to develop.

I was with everyone questioning that decision but I'm board now. 

I think the kid has a legit shot to become a player. 

We were in a cover-two shell all game and basically dared the Steelers to beat us with the run without LeVeon Bell.

They have a big and powerful O-Line who can run block and they eventually went with the running game but they still kept trying to beat us with Ben and that kinda played into Greg Williams hands when Denzel and company got early INTs and then in crunch time when Myles and rookie Genard Avery (no one has mentioned him but he had a GREAT GAME) got those turnovers.

I doubt the Saints will turn away from their passing game so our front 'may' not get a true power running game test till later.

The big difference with the meaning of the tie is that Pittsburgh had Super Bowl aspirations and thought they'd put it on auto-drive late in the game up 21-7 and we are biding time till Baker is ready to take over.   IOWs we expected Taylor to be a placeholder till Baker is ready.

The odd O-Line decision was a head scratcher but check out the three page in-depth story by MKC Browns kickoff feature in the PD on the kid.

He is a 'legit' OT candidate with first round talent and he needs PT in order to develop.

I was with everyone questioning that decision but I'm board now. 

I think the kid has a legit shot to become a player. 
His talent is not the problem.  The process was.  And both were painfully evident in the game.  He had some major blunders that put the offense in some bad spots.  Handled differently between July and now or not rushing him into the lineup and that may not happen.  And I'd argue he has a stiffer test waiting for him next weekend.

I had a different takeaway from the defensive game plan.  It sure seemed more like it was take AB away and make others beat us.  Which I think is the right approach.  Putting anyone in single coverage against him with any sort of frequency would be suicide.  As a result there were holes all over the field in the pass game, but Ben just missed them more than usual.  I don't think there's a good answer in the dome against Brees next week.  Bracketing Thomas is probably the right move like it was with AB, but whoever draws the Kamara assignment needs to be on their A game.  Otherwise he's going to open things up for those secondary targets and I wouldn't expect Brees to miss them like Ben did week 1.

He had some major blunders
He did and you expect bumps when you put any rookie in that spot but his errors 'mostly' came early and you could see him improving as the game wore on.

Two penalties came early and then he settled in and it turned into him learning on the fly.

Rare MKC pimp but read the story on the kid.

Dorsey may have found another gem (Genard Avery needs another mention because he is a legit find by Dorsey).

He did and you expect bumps when you put any rookie in that spot but his errors 'mostly' came early and you could see him improving as the game wore on.

Two penalties came early and then he settled in and it turned into him learning on the fly.

Rare MKC pimp but read the story on the kid.

Dorsey may have found another gem (Genard Avery needs another mention because he is a legit find by Dorsey).
I'll chime in, the OL, when interviewed after the game said much of the same. The kid fumbled around in the first half but got it together in the second half and played pretty well.

Don't disagree with MAC though...our 33rd overall pick was inactive for the game. How that happens the week of the first game is a head scratcher to me.

our 33rd overall pick was inactive for the game. How that happens the week of the first game is a head scratcher to me.
The answer is Desmond Harrison wasn't expected to emerge but he did and it was a windfall that no one expected.

The addendum is that Baker Mayfield isn't ready but if we can get Des Harrison up to speed 'while' Mayfield is slowly brought along then Baker could start with an O-Line with a legit up-and-coming LT to top off an established offensive line and the cherry on top is if Flash gets into playing shape and has digested enough of the playbook to form what could be a very-good WR corps.

We all know the original plan was to try out Shon Coleman at LT, bad idea from the get-go so we went with plan-B of Bitonio making the move to LT and Austin Corbett at LG which would have put us with one rookie starting and learning on the fly with a solid starter moving to a new position and learning on the fly.

Then Desmond Harrison emerged so the decision was to start him and take lumps as he learns on the fly and move Bitionio back to LG and since Corbett can only play LG at this time he was inactive because we can't afford to suit up a guy who can only fill-in at LG and who doesn't play special teams and isn't a utility O-Lineman.

If it works out then Harrison will have gotten over the steepest portion of his learning curve by the time Mayfield is ready to take over.

This could put us a year ahead of schedule since I am sure we'd be targeting LT very-high in next year's draft if we were forced go go with Bitonio.

I wouldn't fret about Corbett not suiting up.

Thee-story on the offensive line is whether or not Harrison steps-up and can play and from the very-limited bit we all saw yesterday he's got the talent and he flashed on a few plays. 

Basically he's got the talent and opportunity so its a gamble that could pay off and put us in a great position moving forward on many levels.

yeah... IF we found a LT, i don’t care about the wasted 2nd round pick. 

doesnt really matter how it gets done as long as it gets done, imo. 

was Hyde as good as his numbers suggest? 
He fought for about every yard he gained. The offense probably had one real sustained running drive then went back to the "we don't know what we want to do" gameplan. If Haley would have pounded the rock I think they would have been successful but we never really got behind the run other than one drive.

Hopefully the win by Darnold, while looking the part, will speed up the replacement of Tyrod. How dumb is Hue Jackson? He's so dumb he'd rather go down with the Taylor ship than win games with Mayfield and save his job.

lod001 said:
Hopefully the win by Darnold, while looking the part, will speed up the replacement of Tyrod. How dumb is Hue Jackson? He's so dumb he'd rather go down with the Taylor ship than win games with Mayfield and save his job.
We gotta give tyrod at least 4 - 6 games. The late bye doesn't help.  He kinda outplayed ben and nd the weather was crap.  I'd rather baker focused on the playbook and watching live.  

I've said it b4.  Tyrod running like week 1 won't last long.  O line is the bigger concern here imo.

We gotta give tyrod at least 4 - 6 games. The late bye doesn't help.  He kinda outplayed ben and nd the weather was crap.  I'd rather baker focused on the playbook and watching live.  

I've said it b4.  Tyrod running like week 1 won't last long.  O line is the bigger concern here imo.
He wouldn't have to run if he would throw the ball when he is supposed to but he is afraid to throw an INT. Receivers are not just running wide open all the time. You have to trust your WR to make a play.

He wouldn't have to run if he would throw the ball when he is supposed to but he is afraid to throw an INT. Receivers are not just running wide open all the time. You have to trust your WR to make a play.
From the link I posted above but this illustrates your point and to a greater degree, everyone's point regarding Tyrod holding the ball too long, not throwing WR's open, not trusting WR's, etc...

https://twitter.com/BrownsFilmBDN/status/1039501905028898816

Hue is convinced that Kizer’s turnovers last year were the problem.  

my guess is that he’s the one that pushed for Taylor. he’s playing to not lose.  

Hue is convinced that Kizer’s turnovers last year were the problem.  

my guess is that he’s the one that pushed for Taylor. he’s playing to not lose.  
Avoiding turnovers is a sound tactic.  In your opinion, how would the GB/CHI game have turned out if Kizer had remained at QB?

Avoiding turnovers is a sound tactic.  In your opinion, how would the GB/CHI game have turned out if Kizer had remained at QB?
i am trying to offer some insight on why Hue wants Taylor in there.  

i didn’t watch the GB/CHI game but i’m sure you already know the answer to your rhetorical question.  

i am trying to offer some insight on why Hue wants Taylor in there.  

i didn’t watch the GB/CHI game but i’m sure you already know the answer to your rhetorical question.  
I don't disagree.  Turnovers kill.  Kizer's league-leading int's were a HUGE part of 0-16.  TT throws darned few.  If we don't turn the ball over, the defense will win some games for us.  I realize TT's style is strange.  He doesn't like to take chances, so he waits.  For now, that's good enough.  Mayfield will get his opportunity to take over eventually.  He isn't going anywhere.  I'm interested to see if TT steps it up or if this is him.

I don't disagree.  Turnovers kill.  Kizer's league-leading int's were a HUGE part of 0-16.  TT throws darned few.  If we don't turn the ball over, the defense will win some games for us.  I realize TT's style is strange.  He doesn't like to take chances, so he waits.  For now, that's good enough.  Mayfield will get his opportunity to take over eventually.  He isn't going anywhere.  I'm interested to see if TT steps it up or if this is him.
this is true, but the flip side is that Hue is a terrible coach, and it’s not just about avoiding turnovers. 

amnesiac said:
this is true, but the flip side is that Hue is a terrible coach, and it’s not just about avoiding turnovers. 
So you say, but his team works hard & plays hard for him -- hallmarks of a good coach.

This is part of what I was getting at.  You hate the coach so much that you will twist basic stuff (like avoiding turnovers) to suit your agenda.  

So you say, but his team works hard & plays hard for him -- hallmarks of a good coach.

This is part of what I was getting at.  You hate the coach so much that you will twist basic stuff (like avoiding turnovers) to suit your agenda.  
Not so sure on the "Work Hard/Play Hard" comment.  Many of the gripes coming out of TC from Haley and Williams is that Hue's camp was more like a day care.  Even Landry balked at the idea of vets getting days off instead of setting a tone.  These guys didn't play hard for a full game until last Sunday.  It was a physical game, and its about time we saw one.  But the physicality didn't come from Hue's coaching ability.  It came from the new coaches and players who started to take charge and lead.  Hue is nothing more than a puppet head at this point.  He spent all Sunday roaming the sidelines yelling at the refs and still with a confused look on his face.  

As much as you think @amnesiac and others here have an agenda against Hue, it's pretty obvious you also have your own bias and turn a blind eye to one of the worst HCs in the league right now.

Not so sure on the "Work Hard/Play Hard" comment.  Many of the gripes coming out of TC from Haley and Williams is that Hue's camp was more like a day care.  Even Landry balked at the idea of vets getting days off instead of setting a tone.  These guys didn't play hard for a full game until last Sunday.  It was a physical game, and its about time we saw one.  But the physicality didn't come from Hue's coaching ability.  It came from the new coaches and players who started to take charge and lead.  Hue is nothing more than a puppet head at this point.  He spent all Sunday roaming the sidelines yelling at the refs and still with a confused look on his face.  

As much as you think @amnesiac and others here have an agenda against Hue, it's pretty obvious you also have your own bias and turn a blind eye to one of the worst HCs in the league right now.
More of the same.  You decide, from behind your TV set, that he is "confused".  Clearly, you cannot know that, so where does that opinion originate?

More of the same.  You decide, from behind your TV set, that he is "confused".  Clearly, you cannot know that, so where does that opinion originate?
HA, just look at him on the sidelines! The entire game the dude looked lost. I don't want to see a coaching change simply because it disrupts continuity for a team that desperately needs it but anybody with a set of eyes realizes he is on a short leash. His team is undisciplined and they continue to make stupid mistakes that I point to the HC as the leader/owner of the team. At the end of the day, he is responsible for the play on the field and it's not been good. He's gotten a pass for 2 years because he was given a high school team to work with (see link below) but even with that, 1-31 is awful and some of that has to fall on Hue.

https://twitter.com/JeremyinAkron/status/1038397765536178178

So is the defense for real this year?
Depends what you mean by for real.  Garrett is a monster.  Ward is legit.  Our safeties are playing in the correct positions.  Avery appears to be a piece we badly missed last year.  But the interior of the DL is concerning, especially if Ogbah is out for a while.  And I think our DC is very prone to being out coached.

Users who are viewing this thread