What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (1 Viewer)

Wasn't there a scenario bandied about where Bruce Arians would be the 'bridge" couch for a couple of years with Freddie learning the ropes under and succeed him?
Someone in the media dreamt up that fantasy land idea, but it always lacked practicality. Arians isn't going to come here for just a year or two and if it goes well then Kitchens isn't going to wait around for an unknown period of time. If you felt he was the coach of the future then you promote him now then deal with the growing pains. 

Because in football close games are typically decided by 4, 5, 6 plays. Sometimes 1 or 2.

As an outsider looking in. The Browns OL has been really rough, and Baker looks like a confused and jittery QB right now. He is not making concise reads, sometimes holding the ball too long, patting too much. He just look uncomfortable and the entire offense seems to have little rhythm. 

I really liked what I saw last year with Mayfield. I have not seen the same player yet from 2018. If he is not right.......it all will not work. And if you can't block it all goes up in flames.

Baltimore is a great litmus test. They are down Jimmy Smith in the secondary so the Browns need to exploit that. But they must run the football to have any shot so they can set up play action. The Ravens are licking their chops right now.
I really wonder if everyone is watching the same game feed I get.  People are wont to say, "He holds the ball too long.  He's missing open receivers."  Etc.  All I ever get to see is the LOS until the ball is released.  I WISH I got to see what's going on downfield, but I don't, so I can't say whether he is misreading patterns, or if he simply refuses to  throw it to the defense. (Or, maybe there's bad routes being run, or simply lack of separation).  I suspect that he's protecting the possession and not throwing int's, but that is also something I can't verify.  IMO, they had a game plan of RPOs, solid D, and no turnovers.  And, it almost worked against an opponent that had superior talent nearly everywhere.

I really wonder if everyone is watching the same game feed I get.  People are wont to say, "He holds the ball too long.  He's missing open receivers."  Etc.  All I ever get to see is the LOS until the ball is released.  I WISH I got to see what's going on downfield, but I don't, so I can't say whether he is misreading patterns, or if he simply refuses to  throw it to the defense. (Or, maybe there's bad routes being run, or simply lack of separation).  I suspect that he's protecting the possession and not throwing int's, but that is also something I can't verify.  IMO, they had a game plan of RPOs, solid D, and no turnovers.  And, it almost worked against an opponent that had superior talent nearly everywhere.
If you think he looks like the same QB as last year thats fine. 

I think the OL play is a big culprit to Bakers early season troubles for the most part.

And commentators who are in the booth and see the entire field notice how in-decisive and out of rhythm Mayfield looks right now. 

Somewhat true.  But...

The networks show replays from different angles and you can piece it together (you may specifically recall the 3rd and 9 from our own 10 yard line where 3 WR ran go/fly routes, 2 of which were not separated by more than a few feet - prime example that shows you Monken's philosophy in real time during a game and hopefully leaves you scratching your head). 

There are some good sources out there who analyze this stuff for you.  Twitter follows, obr, etc.  You can see some all 22's or just good breakdowns in general. 

Bobcat10 said:
Somewhat true.  But...

The networks show replays from different angles and you can piece it together (you may specifically recall the 3rd and 9 from our own 10 yard line where 3 WR ran go/fly routes, 2 of which were not separated by more than a few feet - prime example that shows you Monken's philosophy in real time during a game and hopefully leaves you scratching your head). 

There are some good sources out there who analyze this stuff for you.  Twitter follows, obr, etc.  You can see some all 22's or just good breakdowns in general. 
Is there a website (youtube?) where I can see the whole field for myself, especially the next day?

amnesiac said:
i was never predicting playoffs, so maybe my perception of the team is different. 

9-7 is still realistic at this point and i would consider that a good season.  
I really thought playoffs were likely for this team.  I figured the Steelers would regress but I didn't see Baltimore being so strong.  The Cleveland O is really disappointing and play-calling has been horrible.   This is still a talented football team and there is a chance that the HC quits overthinking the plays.   Chubb should be the focal point.  Baker will get back on track.  

I really thought playoffs were likely for this team.  I figured the Steelers would regress but I didn't see Baltimore being so strong.  The Cleveland O is really disappointing and play-calling has been horrible.   This is still a talented football team and there is a chance that the HC quits overthinking the plays.   Chubb should be the focal point.  Baker will get back on track.  
right now we’re three games into the season and anything is still possible. 

would i bet money on the Browns going to Baltimore and winning?  no, but it’s not impossible either.  

a win this weekend would put them in first place in the AFC North with the tiebreaker over Baltimore. 

re-read that last sentence and enjoy the moment, everyone.  

amnesiac said:
i was never predicting playoffs, so maybe my perception of the team is different. 

9-7 is still realistic at this point and i would consider that a good season.  
The level of my frustration is fueled by what's actually happened these first three weeks. Not that we're 1-2. I expected needing to time for the new pieces to develop chemistry. I expected growing pains from a rookie head coach. I expected the team to have rough patches as they adapt to life in the spotlight. I expected lack of depth to be an issue.

I did not expect the disconnect between play calling and quarterback performance. Nothing on this team can improve in any sort of meaningful way until that is fixed. Everything else is dependent on those pieces functioning in order for them to improve. And there's no indication that it's happening. What's there now was there week 1.

The level of my frustration is fueled by what's actually happened these first three weeks. Not that we're 1-2. I expected needing to time for the new pieces to develop chemistry. I expected growing pains from a rookie head coach. I expected the team to have rough patches as they adapt to life in the spotlight. I expected lack of depth to be an issue.

I did not expect the disconnect between play calling and quarterback performance. Nothing on this team can improve in any sort of meaningful way until that is fixed. Everything else is dependent on those pieces functioning in order for them to improve. And there's no indication that it's happening. What's there now was there week 1.
i totally get the frustration.  

what i don’t get is the attitude that they are not improving, and that there’s no chance that they will. 

things can turn around quickly.  

now if they get completely blown out this weekend... yeah. it could be a loooong season once a team gets a losing streak going.  but we’re not there yet.  

i totally get the frustration.  

what i don’t get is the attitude that they are not improving, and that there’s no chance that they will. 

things can turn around quickly.  

now if they get completely blown out this weekend... yeah. it could be a loooong season once a team gets a losing streak going.  but we’re not there yet.  
I've seen next-to-nothing to indicate they have in the key area in which I think they're failing right now. 3 weeks in it's show-me, don't tell-me. At this point I need to see it before I believe it. Until I do I expect it to continue to be a problem. And that type of problem is enough to lose this game before it even starts.

Tough game to right the ship this week, especially on their turf.

As a guy running alongside the bandwagon, I'll be rooting hard for them.

since it stretched out for two games i kind of thought it was contract posturing in some way, which would be equally dumb and horrible.
Anything other than concussion protocol comes off as kinda dumb. Equally dumb would be to claim he didn't have a concussion thus opening Pandora's box 'o speculation when there are plenty of questions already swirling around the team, leadership, etc.

My distaste of Jamie Collins is well documented
Which I never got.  Cleveland radio clowns went off and the pitchfork/torch throngs came out but he was making plays and had less missed tackles than Joe Schoebert who, (along with Kirksey) always seem to get injured and miss games but Joe's mistakes are forgiven.  

Jamie made a ton of plays and he was the only LB with size we had.

Letting Collins walk didn't make sense but letting him go without having a seasoned replacement ready to plug-in was not a good move.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriots | Jamie Collins doing it all    Fri Sep 27, 10:47 PM

New England Patriots LB Jamie Collins has logged 19 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, six tackles for loss, three passes defensed, two interceptions and defensive touchdown through three games this season.

Which I never got.  Cleveland radio clowns went off and the pitchfork/torch throngs came out but he was making plays and had less missed tackles than Joe Schoebert who, (along with Kirksey) always seem to get injured and miss games but Joe's mistakes are forgiven.  

Jamie made a ton of plays and he was the only LB with size we had.

Letting Collins walk didn't make sense but letting him go without having a seasoned replacement ready to plug-in was not a good move.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriots | Jamie Collins doing it all    Fri Sep 27, 10:47 PM

New England Patriots LB Jamie Collins has logged 19 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, six tackles for loss, three passes defensed, two interceptions and defensive touchdown through three games this season.
Locked in Collins is a good player. Locked in Collins only made cameo appearances. Can't operate a defense with that in tow. 

Locked in Collins is a good player. Locked in Collins only made cameo appearances. Can't operate a defense with that in tow. 
Right.  The knock on Collins was that he had the talent (and salary) to make game-changing plays every week, but seldom did.

Last year (after the extension when he got paid but before he got injured and landed on IR) Kirksey's entire season was a cameo and Joe lead the league in missed tackles and he got injured, AGAIN. 

I saw two things with Jamie.

• One, the combination of size and athleticism, sheer physicality that allowed him to make big plays that our other LBers can't make.
  • Two, a double standard for his mistakes which the other linebackers made/make that I still can't fathom.
Jamie is making plays no one should surprised because he made them here. 

I don't know if the new 5-2-4 scheme will stop Lamar Jackson.  Burnett was an odd choice IMHO to play the key-role of box safety, he's old, injured, and he complained about that role in Pittsburgh and I don't like that we are sitting Avery.  Throw out the Titan and Jet games due to circumstances and the Rams were struggling.  

Its all on the line Sunday, the game, the division, any playoff hopes, basically the entire season.  We're still dealing with a ridiculous amount of injuries in the secondary so we still won't get a true read unless Denzel and Greedy and Morgan are playing.  Jamie Collins was a sore point for me as you know and so-far this season is a big disappointment.

Huge win today the difference between tied for 1st and a leg up on the tie breaker and being buried down 2 games and losing tie breaker with a tough schedule coming up.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – We interrupt the Baker Mayfield-Rex Ryan feud – or is it the Baker Mayfield-Antonio Brown feud? – to bring you this breaking news: the Browns defeated the Ravens on Sunday, 40-25.

The offense showed improvement. The defense continued to overcome missing pieces. And now the Browns are tied for first in the AFC North.”

Lets be clear:  The Browns are 1-0 in division and have the tie-breaker over the Ravens. 

They are not in a “tie” for first place, they are IN FIRST PLACE IN THE AFC NORTH. 

if only the playcalling was better even just on that final possession last week... We're 3-1 easily

But I'll take the growing pains. This is real nice. 

if only the playcalling was better even just on that final possession last week... We're 3-1 easily

But I'll take the growing pains. This is real nice. 
if they keep getting better every week... multiple playoff runs over the next ten years.   let’s not worry too much about this season. 

I didn’t get to see the game, did anyone notice if Corbett got any playing time and if so how he did?

I keep holding out hope that he will be salvaged but I am losing hope! 

This was the first game in Browns history they had a 300-yard passer (Baker Mayfield), 150-yard rusher (Nick Chubb) and 150-yard receiver (Jarvis Landry), according to Elias Sports Bureau.

More later but that was a great team win, everyone came to play yesterday. Does 40 pts count as a curb stomping?

Last edited by a moderator:
even obj in a good mood despite only 20yds. he knew what the gameplan was.

choked out in front of a ref (no call)... not much action... still teammating. 

this club has a lot of potential. every one wants to be here.

even obj in a good mood despite only 20yds. he knew what the gameplan was.

choked out in front of a ref (no call)... not much action... still teammating. 

this club has a lot of potential. every one wants to be here.
he was being held almost every play.  

Always happy to see the Ravens get clobbered, think Chubb showed the way to win, they need to rally around Chubb and use him to open up explosive down field passes which eventually will appear as defenses try and stop Chubb. 

You don't go from 1-31 to the Super Bowl overnight, they're learning on the fly, give them time, still fun to watch all this young talent and unfortunately they had become a media pile on past couple weeks. 

Dawg Pound should be in full force. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread