What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

Apparently a poor fit in the scheme run by first-year defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.

Speaks volumes. You suck as a NFL coach when your 'scheme' doesn't fit a player. See Mike Martz - Greg Olsen.
Yeah can you imagine the horror Martz must have felt at trying to incorporate an uncoverable athletic freak like him? Must have been a pain. Such an offensive genius but boy don't ask him to make room for a HOF weapon.

JK I'm a Bears fan #### Martz. Right in his neck.

new prediction:

if the Browns lose tomorrow, someone is getting fired.  i am guessing Todd Monken will be the sacrificial lamb.  

anyone else?

Who is more of a dumpster fire for the rest of the year - Browns or Jets?   Will either team have anything to play for?  Browns seem to have more talent overall, both QBs should stay in focus also, but from things I'm hearing, Mayfield my not be that great of a leader to lead them through this.  Darnold?  Not sure.

Can Baker Mayfield please throw the ball beyond 20 yards in the first half of the football game.  That's all I ask.  Honestly it's not hard.  If it's incomplete so what   maybe a pass interference will happen. 

Seriously , what happened to this gun slinging offense from last year ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can Baker Mayfield please throw the ball beyond 20 yards in the first half of the football game.  That's all I ask.  Seriously , what happened to this gun slinging offense from last year ?
The Browns are going to beat the Bills.   But, it's going to happen because of a great game by Chubb and not due to Mayfield. 

i've heard it all this year:

they’re forcing the ball to OBJ, they need to throw to OBJ more, the line sucks, the line is fine, Baker scrambles too much, he doesn’t scramble enough, they’re too conservative, they need to run more trick plays, Baker eats too many Twinkie’s...

i agree, run the ball and make a ####### tackle on defense.  oh, right we draft DBs that can’t tackle.  

ugh.  

Callaway,  healthy scratch.

----------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct‏ @ScottPetrak

#Browns WR Antonio Callaway a healthy scratch for today’s game vs. #Bills; S Damarious Randall returns after 2-game absence.

----------------------------------------

First time in his career he's been a healthy scratch.  He has played like crap, 4 game suspension for drugs and then he's only caught 8 passes for 89 yards in the four games he's been active.  He's made a lot of mistakes, penalties/dropped passes/balls bouncing off his hands for interceptions.

Hopefully Rashard Higgins gets his chance.

The bad news is that DE Chad Thomas takes over for Olivier Vernon who had been playing well but got injured late in the game last week in Denver.  The timing of that trade of DE Genard Avery could not have been worse.

Fire kitchens now.  You kick the fg to go up 2 scores especially when you cant get a yard 7 straight tries.

Also maybe stop running at the goaline  with 4 WRs.

Maybe also try something other than a fade

Hopefully Rashard Higgins gets his chance.
:thumbup:

EDIT:  

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

#Browns Kitchens said Callaway’s scratch is between him and Callaway. Translation: it was probably disciplinary

1:35 PM - 10 Nov 2019

------------------------------------

He should have been scratched based on merit.

What a crappy win.  
A win is a win.  Granted, they should have lost.  This team still isn't playing to their potential.  I appreciate the going for it on the goal line, but why wasn't Hunt in there with Chubb?  Hunt was powerful as a FB in front of Chubb when he was in there.  Even Higgins was hitting his blocks with power.  I liked they were feeding the ball to OBJ - even if he didn't catch it, he got the DPI call that helped move the ball.  Keep that up.  This team still needs an identity, and hopefully they can find it before they play the Steelers on Thursday.  It's another winnable game if they run the damn ball and don't get cute.  Sprinkle in some play action to take advantage of Haden and his lack of coverage skills.  This shouldn't be hard.

Also....what kind of defense was that?  I would agree about Monken, but man Wilks is irritating almost as much, if not more!

Agree the team is still not hitting on all cylinders, my biggest question was what the hell was going on in the redzone? You ran 2? 3? WR fades with one guy in the pattern? Then the stupid pitches, shovels. Strap your ####### helmet on, let Chubb/Hunt flip a coin for who blocks for who and run the ball into the endzone. Freddie has zero situational awareness, none. That's my problem with the team right now.

We are a very talented team that can beat anybody. We are a very dumb team that can lose to anybody. If we don't gift wrap Thursday to the Steelers we should win. The problem is I expect them to. 

Freddie isn't the problem. Baker isn't the problem. They all are. And I dont think it's any more complicated than that. 

We are a very talented team that can beat anybody. We are a very dumb team that can lose to anybody. If we don't gift wrap Thursday to the Steelers we should win. The problem is I expect them to. 

Freddie isn't the problem. Baker isn't the problem. They all are. And I dont think it's any more complicated than that. 
Yea but that's a simple answer with a complicated result. Each of those (Freddie & Baker) have multiple issues that in the aggregate add up to not good. Kinda like the teacher telling you there is only one question on the test...with 15 subquestions under it.

Yea but that's a simple answer with a complicated result. Each of those (Freddie & Baker) have multiple issues that in the aggregate add up to not good. Kinda like the teacher telling you there is only one question on the test...with 15 subquestions under it.
I agree. And we live in a time of scapegoats, CYA, and false narratives. Especially in the NFL. But it's why I don't expect this train to find the tracks again. One, two, three, more of our problems could be corrected and we still ultimately fail because it's more than just that. I'm not going to sit and here and pretend to know what's going to happen between now and the end of December, but I've seen enough to feel comfortable saying we'll dumb our way to at least a couple more losses. And if we lose our collective heads, possibly quite a bit more.

The Bills are in five wide inside the 10. I know the perfect defense - cover 0!

:crazy:

I agree. And we live in a time of scapegoats, CYA, and false narratives. Especially in the NFL. But it's why I don't expect this train to find the tracks again. One, two, three, more of our problems could be corrected and we still ultimately fail because it's more than just that. I'm not going to sit and here and pretend to know what's going to happen between now and the end of December, but I've seen enough to feel comfortable saying we'll dumb our way to at least a couple more losses. And if we lose our collective heads, possibly quite a bit more.

The Bills are in five wide inside the 10. I know the perfect defense - cover 0!

:crazy:
I was screaming at the TV "HE IS GOING TO RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE!!!" You think they listened? Hell no. I was just telling the other Browns fan in the office about that today. How the hell you not have somebody keyed on the QB, even after he ran the same play on the same drive earlier, it was just a pass play you actually defended but I guarantee the OC saw that and called that QB draw in the redzone.

We should beat Cincy twice and Miami, after that I'm with you, we'll lose another 1-2 or more because of stupidity before it's all said & done.

I was screaming at the TV "HE IS GOING TO RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE!!!" You think they listened? Hell no. I was just telling the other Browns fan in the office about that today. How the hell you not have somebody keyed on the QB, even after he ran the same play on the same drive earlier, it was just a pass play you actually defended but I guarantee the OC saw that and called that QB draw in the redzone.

We should beat Cincy twice and Miami, after that I'm with you, we'll lose another 1-2 or more because of stupidity before it's all said & done.
Me too. Except there were also expletives involved. And while the kids weren't in the room. They were apparently in ear shot. That was a fun halftime conversation.

Why so few ints this year?  Last year we were 5th in the league.  This year 4th from the bottom.
Change in defensive scheme/philosophy.  Wilks runs a more zone coverage scheme, so the only point of attack is on the random blitz package.  I think if you let Greedy and Ward play more man coverage, which they excel at, we'd see a difference in INTs.  It's hard to force fumbles when you only send your Dline to pressure.  The big boys in the middle are hardly getting a breather and look winded by the end of the game.

I think the offense is starting to come around, almost like it was built for Higgins and Hunt's participation (not Calloway and Hilliard).  The focus will quickly turn to Wilks' soft scheme zone defense this 2nd half of the season.

Baldinger breaks down the Browns new "Wing T" formation with Baker, Chubb, and Hunt.  Extremely happy to see this, as it offers so many new options to the offense.  Put those two in the backfield with Baker, and teams will have to respect the run, which should open up things for either OBJ or Landry in the passing game.  Even keeping Chubb back to help pass protect while Hunt runs to the flat or corner is a boon!  Enjoyed watching this work on Sunday, and hoping to see more of it on Thursday.

Please Higgins over Callaway. Though I traded Mayfield, so not sure why I still care.

Oh yeah, I roster Hunt. Keep feeding him. 

Baker, Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Juice, Higgins.  No way Ds can cover these guys.  
3-6...somebody figured it out

And yea I know Hunt is new to the equation. He makes a difference and brings a dynamic no one should be able to stop (arguably the top 2 RB's int eh league in the same backfield). I'm just not convinced that our HC is willing to acknowledge we are a run first team. We'll find out Thursday. I'd run the ball down their throat until they stop it...then run it some more.

Please Higgins over Callaway
From what I've read elsewhere, the ice is thin under Callaway.  He's been having a lot of issues and made some bone-headed mistakes, thus the 1 game benching last week.  I agree with you, play Higgins more often.  Higgins should be able to take on DB3 or DB4 and make plays.  He has great route running, and seems to have been in Baker's mind last year.  Getting open for the game winning TD on Sunday was great to see.  Higgins and Baker just click, which again should help open things up for other playmakers.

The coaches need to get out of their own way and let these guys play.

From what I've read elsewhere, the ice is thin under Callaway.  He's been having a lot of issues and made some bone-headed mistakes, thus the 1 game benching last week.  I agree with you, play Higgins more often.  Higgins should be able to take on DB3 or DB4 and make plays.  He has great route running, and seems to have been in Baker's mind last year.  Getting open for the game winning TD on Sunday was great to see.  Higgins and Baker just click, which again should help open things up for other playmakers.

The coaches need to get out of their own way and let these guys play.
Even in preseason it looked like Mayfield/Higgins would be something this year. I'm not sure what the coaches are really thinking with Callaway. Maybe as a field stretcher to leave room for OBJ and Landry to operate underneath? 

Even in preseason it looked like Mayfield/Higgins would be something this year. I'm not sure what the coaches are really thinking with Callaway. Maybe as a field stretcher to leave room for OBJ and Landry to operate underneath? 
His speed is definitely an asset.  Now if he could get that thing between his ears to become just as valuable an asset, well then you might have a good football player.  :shrug:

3-6...somebody figured it out

And yea I know Hunt is new to the equation. He makes a difference and brings a dynamic no one should be able to stop (arguably the top 2 RB's int eh league in the same backfield). I'm just not convinced that our HC is willing to acknowledge we are a run first team. We'll find out Thursday. I'd run the ball down their throat until they stop it...then run it some more.
I get what you're saying, but that isn't going to work against this team. Need to take advantage of their MoF defenders in the pass game (but stay the hell away from Minkah), task your WR's with winning one-on-one, and tell Baker they will intercept every pass he misses high. Chubb and Hunt can do work in this game, but at least some of it needs to be in the air. Be happy if the Browns don't lose the battle up front because they sure won't win it.

Baldinger breaks down the Browns new "Wing T" formation with Baker, Chubb, and Hunt.  Extremely happy to see this, as it offers so many new options to the offense.  Put those two in the backfield with Baker, and teams will have to respect the run, which should open up things for either OBJ or Landry in the passing game.  Even keeping Chubb back to help pass protect while Hunt runs to the flat or corner is a boon!  Enjoyed watching this work on Sunday, and hoping to see more of it on Thursday.
Late in the season, talented RB with fresh  legs paired with one of the best RBs in the league when the team desperately need a 'good' pass catching/pass-pro 3rd down back and a lead blocker/ability to give quality reps to rest talented RB and take heat off struggling 2nd year QB/O-Line is special.  

Alone teams could scheme to offset the impact but with OBJ and Landry teams have to bracket cover.

The Wing-T is built with a RB duo that is the most talented in the league so it isn't a gimmick.  Baker has been  keeping his negative plays down since the BYE.

----------------------

Quincy Carrier‏ @Kwen_C

Baker Mayfield 3 games since bye week: 705 YRDs - 66% Comp. - 4 TDs - 1 INT vs. The 2nd (NE), 5th (BUF) & 9th (DEN) Ranked Pass Defenses. Not mind-blowing numbers, but evidence he is starting to turn the corner against good defenses.

5:27 PM - 10 Nov 2019

--------------------

If Kitchens can keep the penalties and poor game-time decisions down to an acceptable scream and if we make 'smart' personnel moves then the addition of Hunt/Wing-T can build something on offense heading into next year.

NOTHING would please us more than to take them out two of the next three games.

Hoping the Bills keep it up but Josh needs to improve those vertical throws and please give Singletary more carries.
Yeah the deep ball isn't there this year, it was last year. Browns stacked the box rightfully so the second half after some Allen and Singletary success, they threw to him seven times. The screen was set up perfectly to him on the tip.  Garrett is a freak, hopefully his performance against the Bills leads to Lee Smith being cut.

I get what you're saying, but that isn't going to work against this team. Need to take advantage of their MoF defenders in the pass game (but stay the hell away from Minkah), task your WR's with winning one-on-one, and tell Baker they will intercept every pass he misses high. Chubb and Hunt can do work in this game, but at least some of it needs to be in the air. Be happy if the Browns don't lose the battle up front because they sure won't win it.
If it involves multiple WR's taking Joe Haden to the house I'm all for it. I like Joe, just don't like him on the Steelers.

Anyone catch local FOX8 promoting a 2 or 3 part interview series starting tonight with Hue and his wife?   Goes into his struggles and depression since the firing.  His wife starts crying in the promo.  Looks like a tear jerker!  

Anyone catch local FOX8 promoting a 2 or 3 part interview series starting tonight with Hue and his wife?   Goes into his struggles and depression since the firing.  His wife starts crying in the promo.  Looks like a tear jerker!  
What's depressing is having a 3-36-1 record over three years. Getting fired should have been a blessing to him!

Only Hue Jackson was fired during the season so it's most coincidence.  But it's still interesting.

trey wingo‏Verified account @wingoz

History says tonight may be problematic for Freddie Kitchens. Cleveland hosts Pittsburgh tonight. The last 6 Browns coaches have all been fired after a Steelers game:

Hue Jackson

Mike Pettine

Rob Chudzinski

Pat Shurmur

Eric Mangini

Romeo Crennel

Game Night!!!  Getting excited and ready to go!  Kitchens just needs to go with the 2 Back set and pound the ball at them all night.  If Hunt and Chubb are in the lineup together 80% of the time, I think we win.  Protect the ball, avoid the stupid (and phantom) penalties.  Be aggressive on defense.  That's what I want to see.  No soft zone coverage.  No pass-play trickery out of the gate.  If Watt wants to run in off the edge, let Hunt pick him up and plant him while Chubb steps on him running by.  Make their defense start to second guess themselves.  Play like your job is on the line, because someone's just might be.  I don't think they let Kitchens go, but I can see Monken being the sacrificial lamb.  Or Wilks, if his defensive scheme is the reason for the loss.  Hell, Wilks wasn't first choice for DC anywho, so it will just expedite the process when Dorsey goes to find his replacement in the off season.

Let's get at these yinzers and make it 7 wins since 1999!!  (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little :X , but ya'll get the idea....)

LFG!!!  :football:

Users who are viewing this thread