What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (13 Viewers)

I'm curious who the group thinks is "elite".  IMO, only Young, but Burrow certainly had an all-time-great year, so maybe him, too.  Tua, maybe.  Simmons, Okudah, Brown -- could be, as well as Lamb & Jeudy.  The few highlights I've seen of the OTs don't impress me as being on the same level as the others I've named.  No doubt we need one and taking the highest ranked (if we had our choice) is likely to turn out fine, but would you guys put any at the Joe Thomas level?
A HoF Ironman that never misses a snap? No.

If the Browns added a CB, would Greedy make a good FS?
You do not take a press-man border corner who has a thin frame and struggles with big-strong WRs and make him a FS.

Bracie Smathers said:
Clay's unit grades are an excellent snapshot for evaluating NFL units.
He posted the Browns team unit grades with projections.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

2020 Cleveland Browns #ClayProjections

>>  LINK  >>  👉  >>  2020 Cleveland Brown projections

Nothing too surprising here but its interesting to see all of the other teams and who they are focused-in on.

---------------------------------------

Tom Kislingbury@TomKislingbury

Here's all visits by team broken out by position.

Some things I see:

• - The Bucs are looking hard for more OL help.
  • - The Rams want another RB
  • - The Cowboys are focusing on defense
  • - The Ravens know they need a LB
  • - The Browns and Jets need some big O linemen in the worst way
>>  👉  >>  LINK to graph of visits by team broken out by position

----------------------------------------

According to the chart we've had the most O-Line and TE 'visits' of any NFL team but zero safety 'visits' which is a bit of a surprise.

Its interesting to see everything put together like this especially noting the top interest of other AFCN teams.

• Steelers had most 'visits' with O-Linemen (they lost Ramon Foster to retirement) is a bit surprising as is zero QB visits
  • Ravens showing interest in LBers isn't a surprise 
  • Bengals showing most interest in LBers is a surprise

I'm not too cool I guess.  😎

They're great, some minor tweaks to the the vintage look and the recent color rush scheme , how it always should have been without a complete redesign/color scheme change in '99.  The last batch of uniforms were complete trash.  I hated looking at them at least.  It's ok to have nice threads whether you stink or you are SB champs....way better than XFL'ing up your look. 

Players buy into this stuff as much as the person going as fast as they can to the online store....maybe it will make some of them think more positively, you don't know how morale could be lifted because of it.  Myles and others are out there tweeting how they are fire.  I can say from personal experience coaching kids these days...it matters...and that's exactly what much of the league is.

Did you see the hot trash Atlanta is going to trot out this year?  ATL, lol.  

The draft stuff gets nauseating at times with so much info out there.  I'll put my stamp on trading back (not too far though)...I think that's what we're going to do unless our main target or 2, which is probably a LT, falls to 10.  I have no idea who those targets are, nor should I.  But tackles are deep and good, so who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if the top-two OTs are off the board (very-likely IMHO) and we an trade-down, pick up an extra 2nd
I heard this awhile ago and its resurfacing.

2020 NFL Draft Trade Rumors: Falcons 'Appear Poised' to Move Up from No. 16

...The Atlanta Falcons are reportedly preparing to "make some noise" with a potential trade up from the No. 16 overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, which begins April 23.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported the update Wednesday:

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet  - GM Thomas Dimitroff famously sent a huge package of picks (including a future first rounder) for Julio Jones in 2011, and a move this year may not be as dramatic. But they are a team to watch.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet - One team that appears poised to make some noise with a move up is the #Falcons. They have spent a lot of times evaluating and talking to players who figure to be gone by No. 16… and when other teams do their projections, they believe Atlanta will be on the move.
Connor Rogers@ConnorJRogers

He’s been excited about this for months   LINK to vid of Atlanta GM indicating he wants to move-up

11:21 AM · Apr 15, 2020·

----------------------------------------------------- EDIT:  Pete Smith on top of it.  👉  >>  LINK  Atlanta Falcons A Potential Trade Partner? 

...If the Browns don't like their options at 10, likely offensive tackles, they may be motivated to trade down. They could add a draft asset or few while still keeping themselves in position to draft an offensive tackle like Josh Jones from Houston or Ezra Cleveland from Boise State.

The Falcons pick 16th, which is in the area the Browns would seemingly want to move down. They don't want to trade too far down and miss out on their targets. The Falcons aren't the only team that might be looking to move up as the San Francisco 49ers, Las Vegas Raiders and Denver Broncos have all been linked to Henry Ruggs, the wide receiver out of Alabama. Getting him might require trading up with the Browns selling the pick to the highest bidder.
----------------------------------------------------

Saw rumors of Denver wanting to move-up and of Oakland also looking to move-up, Pete adds so if the guy we want isn't available we 'may' have options.

Above somewhere, it was suggested that DEN would trade a 3 + a 3 to move up to #10 for a WR.  Earlier, I had suggested that I would trade a 3 + a 3 for Trent Williams.  

So, the question becomes... Would you swap #1s with DEN in order to acquire TW?

FWIW, I personally doubt they'll do the obvious by spending #10 on OT, though that would be my preference.  It seems the pick has too much value.  

Above somewhere, it was suggested that DEN would trade a 3 + a 3 to move up to #10 for a WR.  Earlier, I had suggested that I would trade a 3 + a 3 for Trent Williams.  

FWIW, I personally doubt they'll do the obvious by spending #10 on OT, though that would be my preference.  It seems the pick has too much value.  
If I think we can get a cost effective 21 year old starting caliber left tackle in the draft then I want nothing to do with an expensive 32 year old Trent Williams.

If I think we can get a cost effective 21 year old starting caliber left tackle in the draft then I want nothing to do with an expensive 32 year old Trent Williams.
We're not trading for Trent Williams.  Its just not happening from everything I've seen.

FA Jason Peters is still available and would provide time to get a young'un up to speed.  As I've been saying I doubt we have all of the top-four OTs rated as top-ten picks because their is disagreement on how teams are rating those guys.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

The group with the least consensus: Top offensive tackles. It’s Tristan Wirfs (Iowa), Jedrick Wills (Bama), Andrew Thomas (Georgia) and Mekhi Becton (Louisville) as the top 4, but no one has the same order. Thomas may be the “safest,” while Becton has the most potential.

1:53 PM · Apr 15, 2020

---------------------------------------------------------

If 'our guy(s) are not available we 'should' be open to trading-down and we'd have options.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2886508-2020-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-surrounding-every-nfl-team

...How front offices differentiate between the top six tackles is a matter of preference.

For the Browns, system fit will be a significant factor in their decision as they transition to new head coach Kevin Stefanski's wide zone scheme. Boise State's Ezra Cleveland is an ideal fit.

"But they love that Boise tackle, and maybe they think they can get him in the second round," a source told NBC Sports' Peter King.

Cleveland's exceptional movement skills make him more of a first-round prospect than a second-round option. A potential trade down should be on the table for the Browns to land their guy and secure quarterback Baker Mayfield's blind side. According to The Athletic's Michael Lombardi, the Denver Broncos are trying to swing a deal with the Browns.

Yep, the new contract seems to easily get overlooked.  And really, what are you then getting?  He hasn't played a down since 2018 and hasn't had an 80% snap count since 2015.  I don't know all the details from those seasons, but he just seems like a hard pass for me especially with this crop of talent in the draft.

Clowney?   F IT.  Let's get him.  What's he want?  30 mill a year?
This is the final year of 'cheap' Myles. There are only two more years of 'cheap' Denzel/Baker. He's not any more than marginally better than Vernon (if that). Either this year or next will be the last one with both Beckham and Juice. 2021 will likely be our last year with Chubb. The only DT signed beyond this year is Richardson. The last group did a terrible job accumulating functional depth, so there will be holes that develop that need patched in free agency because there aren't young guys ready to step into the lineup as existing starters contracts expire or performance deteriorates.

Signing Clowney for more than one year will take a big chunk out of next year's already high cap. It'll also significantly decrease our roll over. If he's receptive to a one year prove-it deal then I may not cry foul, but it depends on the cost and what then happens with Vernon. But there's also no reason to believe he will sign for that - not right now anyway. So it's a moot point. 

Clowney is to 2020 what Gerald McCoy was to 2019. He's a veteran that fans know - fans that don't care about the cap.

This is the final year of 'cheap' Myles. There are only two more years of 'cheap' Denzel/Baker. He's not any more than marginally better than Vernon (if that). Either this year or next will be the last one with both Beckham and Juice. 2021 will likely be our last year with Chubb. The only DT signed beyond this year is Richardson. The last group did a terrible job accumulating functional depth, so there will be holes that develop that need patched in free agency because there aren't young guys ready to step into the lineup as existing starters contracts expire or performance deteriorates.

Signing Clowney for more than one year will take a big chunk out of next year's already high cap. It'll also significantly decrease our roll over. If he's receptive to a one year prove-it deal then I may not cry foul, but it depends on the cost and what then happens with Vernon. But there's also no reason to believe he will sign for that - not right now anyway. So it's a moot point. 

Clowney is to 2020 what Gerald McCoy was to 2019. He's a veteran that fans know - fans that don't care about the cap.
Sign Clowney to 1 year if he will take it.  $17-18 million.

Clowney?   F IT.  Let's get him.  What's he want?  30 mill a year?
God no.  We'd go nowhere near that asking price.

Sign Clowney to 1 year if he will take it.  $17-18 million.
:yes:   Yep, he's come down after getting no bites in FA and the last rumor I saw was in the $17 million range one-year prove-it deal.

Everything Mac said is spot-on but I don't know how Vernon's deal is structured and if signing Clowney to a one-year deal would be a trade-off with the cap hit.

If we'd have to offer Clowney a long term deal or take a significant cap hit then stick with Olivier Vernon for another year and draft someone since FA DE Adrian Clayborn is strictly a RDE leaving us thin on the left side considering Vernon's injury history.

The story that never ends.........so annoying being a Browns.  They paid a premium to get this guy last year a mid 1st, a 3rd, Peppers a former 1st and most said Cleveland won this trade in a landslide and people were bashing the Giants.  Now a year later reports of a 2 and 5 which would been absurd yet some said that been a good deal for the Browns (on local sports radio).

"According to Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report, sources with several teams said that they believe it's only a matter of time before Beckham is traded from the Browns, and they don't believe it's because of a perceived attitude problem with Beckham." 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/some-teams-believe-browns-will-eventually-trade-odell-beckham-due-to-offensive-fit-per-report/

The story that never ends.........
But the story HAS ended.... De Podesta and the TWO best sources in the NFL (Schefter and Glazer) and the 3rd best in Rapoport ALL say this rumor was 100% fake, and the player is NOT on a block to be traded.

This also includes CLE's "best" beat reporters.

But the story HAS ended.... De Podesta and the TWO best sources in the NFL (Schefter and Glazer) and the 3rd best in Rapoport ALL say this rumor was 100% fake, and the player is NOT on a block to be traded.

This also includes CLE's "best" beat reporters.
That rumor false but other rumors continue so no it has not ended.

"People have the wrong idea of who he is as a person," said one general manager. "The issue, instead, is that Beckham isn't a good fit with quarterback Baker Mayfield."

What do you Browns insiders make of this statement?  An indictment of Mayfield's ability to take advantage of Beckham's enormous talent, some personality disorder on Beckham's part that discourages Mayfield from targeting him, or an NFL GM blowing smoke rings out his ####?  Just a curious statement to me . . .

Dave Stauff said:
P "People have the wrong idea of who he is as a person," said one general manager. "The issue, instead, is that Beckham isn't a good fit with quarterback Baker Mayfield."

What do you Browns insiders make of this statement?  An indictment of Mayfield's ability to take advantage of Beckham's enormous talent, some personality disorder on Beckham's part that discourages Mayfield from targeting him, or an NFL GM blowing smoke rings out his ####?  Just a curious statement to me . . .
OBJ had a thousand yard season last year.  He faced bracket coverage each game.  Jarvis Landry had his best season with the Browns since OBJ was taking the coverage.  OBJ had core muscle surgery right after the season.  OBJ showed me a lot more than I expected last year considering he was dealing with an extremely painful injury and played through it, was great helping others and doing his work as-advertised. 

OBJ was doing his job while Baker struggled but Baker's struggles was a separate issue that people conflate since its easy.  Baker was under pressure but their is something else.  Its complicated and technical and I'm not about to get into it right before the draft but its a 'Baker' thing unrelated to OBJ. 

The 'anonymous' GM may have a theory about personality fits but their is a tangible/different issue with Baker that needs fixing. 

Better protection, real NFL coaching/no Kitchen, along with the outside-zone combined with Kubiak roll-boots will go a long ways toward fixing the issue but Stephanski mentioned 'footwork' and that gives a clue of what the 'Baker' issue is.  I think the GM was hinting at something about personalities but with OBJ having successful core-muscle surgery and Baker getting better protection, a scheme that fits him, and the main issue that Stephanski is on top of that we'll see a totally different dynamic if Baker fixes the issue that developed last year.

OBJ had a thousand yard season last year.  He faced bracket coverage each game.  Jarvis Landry had his best season with the Browns since OBJ was taking the coverage.  OBJ had core muscle surgery right after the season.  OBJ showed me a lot more than I expected last year considering he was dealing with an extremely painful injury and played through it, was great helping others and doing his work as-advertised. 

OBJ was doing his job while Baker struggled but Baker's struggles was a separate issue that people conflate since its easy.  Baker was under pressure but their is something else.  Its complicated and technical and I'm not about to get into it right before the draft but its a 'Baker' thing unrelated to OBJ. 

The 'anonymous' GM may have a theory about personality fits but their is a tangible/different issue with Baker that needs fixing. 

Better protection, real NFL coaching/no Kitchen, along with the outside-zone combined with Kubiak roll-boots will go a long ways toward fixing the issue but Stephanski mentioned 'footwork' and that gives a clue of what the 'Baker' issue is.  I think the GM was hinting at something about personalities but with OBJ having successful core-muscle surgery and Baker getting better protection, a scheme that fits him, and the main issue that Stephanski is on top of that we'll see a totally different dynamic if Baker fixes the issue that developed last year.
Even though he can tough to root for at times, I hope Beckham returns to his 2014-2016 form.  He was so fun and exciting to watch those first three years, but he hasn't been all-world the last three seasons, some of it due to injuries, and some due to bad QB play.  We know he still has the talent to be one of the top WR's in football, but the question is, can he find his way to being that all-world guy again.  I am rooting for him.

With pick #10, @joethomas73 has the @Browns selecting Alabama OT Jedrick Wills.

📺: #MockDraftLive airing NOW on NFL Network

eta: becton and wirfs were off the board

FMA aka MMQB mock

10. Cleveland—Jedrick Wills, tackle, Alabama 

Andrew Thomas is the preferred player here, and the Browns have been actively trying to trade down, which they could do. That’s the thing about the Browns: They crave picks, and if, say, Miami wants come up from 18 because of the major need at tackle, I could see the Browns being happy to move down eight slots and find some equitable value from the Miami treasure trove of high picks (26, 39, 56, 70, plus two first and two second-round picks in 2021).

Wills is a more natural right tackle as opposed to Thomas being a two-year left tackle at Georgia. There are some teams that have Wills the top-rated tackle in a good class of them, so if Cleveland gets him, it’s a good pick. He allowed one sack over the past two seasons at Alabama.

You've heard me contribute my $.02  that a trade down to 15 with DEN is way too logical not to happen.  I'm starting to think that that just gets the ball rolling.  From 15, there's a good chance they continue to trade down, maybe PHI at 21 or MIN at 22.  (as ever, anything from daveR is purely for fun & speculation.  All rights reserved, etc., etc.)

You've heard me contribute my $.02  that a trade down to 15 with DEN is way too logical not to happen.  I'm starting to think that that just gets the ball rolling.  From 15, there's a good chance they continue to trade down, maybe PHI at 21 or MIN at 22.  (as ever, anything from daveR is purely for fun & speculation.  All rights reserved, etc., etc.)
If we wind up trading-down it would mean our guy(s) had been selected AND that we would be targeting a player at the spot where we'd trade-down to.

Pete Smith put out his final mock a few hours ago with a trade-down w/Atlanta due because he has the players we want getting selected before #10. 

FWIW I don't like the trade-down.  Not enough return IMHO and at that-point in the draft it seems like a reach.

Cleveland Browns 2020 7-Round Mock Draft, Vol. 7 (Final)

I don't understand how you can objectively assess a trade-down before it actually happens. I don't believe much that I hear or read in April, but teams are at least indicating a desire to move up into our range of the draft. That represents a market. A market could create the environment for us to get +EV to move backwards and get the player we want anyway.

I'm staying open minded. Thursday night should at least start out fun. We'll see if it ends with a different f word.

projecting a trade down when we have NO idea how we rank players is ridiculous. 

if we have a OT scored at 95 and he's sitting there at 10, we would trade down why?

Analytics guys are running things. You cant project anything. 

I don't understand how you can objectively assess a trade-down before it actually happens. I don't believe much that I hear or read in April, but teams are at least indicating a desire to move up into our range of the draft. That represents a market. A market could create the environment for us to get +EV to move backwards and get the player we want anyway.

I'm staying open minded. Thursday night should at least start out fun. We'll see if it ends with a different f word.
Check out the article.  Smith goes into detail on any trade-down scenario:

...Preparing for all situations, the Browns have already talked to teams about potential trade scenarios and it's possible they have agreed to one or multiple deals, with caveats on both sides that says a certain player has to be available for the deal to be ratified... 

...The Browns have also identified their red line. That's the spot where they believe if they go down further than this spot, they will be unable to get their targeted player, which potentially limits their trade options to move down. There are a handful of teams that are interested in moving up in the draft, but unless a team like the Philadelphia Eagles decides they want to move up from 21 all the way to 10, the basement might be 16th pick with the Atlanta Falcons. 
He set up why we'd trade-down.  Whose interested in moving-up.  What we'd get and who'd we pick.  

I can objectively say the compensation (pick #78 + unknown 3rd next year instead of #47) isn't enough because it isn't.  Atlanta wanting to move-up isn't a rumor, their GM jumped in front of a mic to say he wants to move-up and the scuttle is for CB CJ Henderson who many teams want so he'll be off the board if they don't move-up.  

our mgmts JOB is to PROTECT their #1 pick/franchise qb, not to help other teams get who they want. 

unless our guy is gone and the guy we want next can be had a little later, there is ZERO reason to blow it by moving down

our mgmts JOB is to PROTECT their #1 pick/franchise qb, not to help other teams get who they want. 

unless our guy is gone and the guy we want next can be had a little later, there is ZERO reason to blow it by moving down
I mean, that's exactly why the team would trade-down.

sure he set up, but he doesnt know who our guy is. Not only that, he doesnt know how much "lower" our next guy is ranked. 

wouldnt that go for all 32 teams? I can make a case for any team to trade down from any spot

It's a really weird convo to have

Soulfly3 said:
sure he set up, but he doesnt know who our guy is. Not only that, he doesnt know how much "lower" our next guy is ranked. 

wouldnt that go for all 32 teams? I can make a case for any team to trade down from any spot

It's a really weird convo to have
Agreed, I mean - I get it. What else are you supposed to talk about 3 days before the draft. But the amount of if-then's given the information we don't have are seemingly endless.

"Our guy".  Aren't there hundreds to consider throughout the draft?  I suppose if I had the top pick & wanted a QB, there would be one guy who was a "must have", but I don't see that for us.  I want them to fix the OL.  Period.  If that's all they did this off season, I'd be ecstatic, but there's more than a single path to that end and, as far as I can tell, there's not a single individual who is an elite NFL OT.  If there were, I'd be inclined to say, "Go get that guy!"  That being said, there may be one, four, six, eight, who end up pro-bowlers.  Wish I knew.

lol at Soulfly ghosting for months and then showing back up with “solid” analysis. 
right. let's discuss the Browns moving down FOUR times in the first round. 

firstly, let's discuss 1, 2 and 3 tradedowns.

then let's discuss the list our team released with their draft board and player grades so we can understand all the tradedowns as well. 

Official cap space by team entering the draft (1-11):
1. CLE: $37,547,510
2. DET: $29,488,200
3. PHI: $27,145,824
4. NYJ: $25,164,780
5. WAS: $24,943,685
6. DEN: $24,173,954
7. IND: $23,926,469
8. MIA: $22,682,552
9. TEN: $21,896,801
10. LAC: $20,994,933
11. BUF: $20,596,199

I’m told acquiring Trent Williams is “still on the table” for the #Browns, per source today. "Nothing is imminent or super close right now," but the #Browns are keeping their thumb on the situation--meaning something still may, or may not happen w/Trent before or after the Draft.

- Josina Anderson

I’m told acquiring Trent Williams is “still on the table” for the #Browns, per source today. "Nothing is imminent or super close right now," but the #Browns are keeping their thumb on the situation--meaning something still may, or may not happen w/Trent before or after the Draft.

- Josina Anderson
I'm a proponent of prophylaxis. 

right. let's discuss the Browns moving down FOUR times in the first round. 

firstly, let's discuss 1, 2 and 3 tradedowns.

then let's discuss the list our team released with their draft board and player grades so we can understand all the tradedowns as well. 
Easy tiger.  

Lets see what happens.  

A blind person could see the biggest team need but we kept hearing that we were fine on the O-Line.  

Timing. 

You share that we are keeping an eye on Trent Williams.  Which makes you ask why a team that spent big FA bucks on an OT and re-signed their own OT and is so locked on taking an OT with the #10 pick that fans get upset about the possibility of doing anything other than taking an OT have their pulse on the Trent Williams situation? 

Could it possibly be that in a draft loaded with OTs that the guy(s) they want to take at #10 won't be available?

Since the team is preparing for the scenario then I think its fair game to discuss.

Official cap space by team entering the draft (1-11):
1. CLE: $37,547,510
2. DET: $29,488,200
3. PHI: $27,145,824
4. NYJ: $25,164,780
5. WAS: $24,943,685
6. DEN: $24,173,954
7. IND: $23,926,469
8. MIA: $22,682,552
9. TEN: $21,896,801
10. LAC: $20,994,933
11. BUF: $20,596,199
We let Joe go because he was asking too much but one of the FA LBers who got a big signing bonus last year is available at what appears to be a bargain salary.

-----------------------------------

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Teams wanting to trade players the year after signing them to a big deal (and in Ford's case trading for him!) is a bad look... Ford is due over 14M this year, gonna be a tough sell Alexander is due only 1.35M because of a restructure, perhaps will get interest

Michael Lombardi@mlombardiNFL

From talking to teams around the league 49ers want to clean up some cap issues and have made Dee Ford and Kwon Alexander along with Goodwin and Tartt available for trade. Will they get takers? Not sure but all four names are on the available list for the right price.

2:10 PM · Apr 20, 2020

--------------------------------------

We've got a need and the salary room and they would probably take a low pick which we also have.   Would be good to have a Pro Bowl veteran helping out our second year guys who could use some help.

I'd be receptive to either, but I like the idea of a day 3 pick for Tartt more than Kwon. Not just the player, but because to get a quality safety I think we'd have to use a round 2 pick whereas we should be able to get a quality LB round 3.

Users who are viewing this thread